PDA

View Full Version : Oleander

Burnside
07-Mar-10, 22:51
Can anyone give me any advice? Last year I bought an Oleander. It looked really healthy and still does. But it had quite a lot of buds but they never opened up and flowered. Just wondered what I am doing wrong. It is planted in full sun in well drained soil like it says it should on the ticket.

porshiepoo
09-Mar-10, 21:31
Can anyone give me any advice? Last year I bought an Oleander. It looked really healthy and still does. But it had quite a lot of buds but they never opened up and flowered. Just wondered what I am doing wrong. It is planted in full sun in well drained soil like it says it should on the ticket.

You and me both.
I have 2 of them, very healthy looking and both have buds - still.
One did start to open at the back end of last summer and I got a lovely deep pink glimpse but sadly that's it.
They're both still looking great and both still in bud.

I'm pretty sure they got enough sunshine and were kept warm enough as I kept them in the greenhouse from mid summer on.
This year I'm going to leave them in the greenhouse all summer and see if it was the late heat last year that started the buds to open.

I have the same problem with an outdoor climbing Jasmine. I bought it int eh greenhouse for winter but it's been full of bud all winter.