PDA

View Full Version : word of warning

Tugmistress
18-May-06, 11:48
i went for a walk over towards the old quarry on Holborn head, and was merrily walking over towards one of the ponds on the top looking at the black headed gulls giving some herring gulls some stick when something took off right under my foot. the bird hit my foot i was that close and i couldn't stop the action of stepping down that late and crunch, i stood on it's nest
1 lapwing flew off and 4 eggs got crunched :(

moral? look where you are putting your feet.

feel guilty as sin now :(

Mr P Cannop
18-May-06, 12:11
awww oh how sad

Seabird
18-May-06, 21:04
This time of year i stick to well walked paths, and always walk on green grass.
Birds will some times nest near paths, but they prefer longer grass or tufts of dead grass.
Sheep trails are safe to follow.
Shingle beaches can also present problems, Oyster catchers will always make one heck of a din if nesting near by.
Last year at Lybster i saw a nest next to the path leading up to the viewpoint.
It was a Meadow Pipit, first time i passed, it flew off exposing 5 eggs.
Over the next few days it just sat there as i crept past.
And then not to surprising, the eggs were gone and the nest pulled on to the path, fox,dog,kids i'll never know.

Seabird
18-May-06, 21:07
i went for a walk over towards the old quarry on Holborn head, and was merrily walking over towards one of the ponds on the top looking at the black headed gulls giving some herring gulls some stick when something took off right under my foot. the bird hit my foot i was that close and i couldn't stop the action of stepping down that late and crunch, i stood on it's nest
1 lapwing flew off and 4 eggs got crunched :(

moral? look where you are putting your feet.

feel guilty as sin now :(

Not to worry it's early in the season they will try again.