PDA

View Full Version : wild birds in house

only me
07-Mar-10, 17:00
hi today i found a bird flying about my bathroom now i have just come and found one in my kitchen i managed to get him out as i did this morning but do they leave any kind of disease as i am a bit concerned as i have a young baby if any one know it would help put my mind at rest thanks

joxville
07-Mar-10, 17:23
A few drinks, a few laughs, cuddles and before you know it they're talking about marriage, kids, curtains etc....they're such a pain to get rid off. :roll:

Now I just avoid those wild birds, the hassle isn't worth it.

stewart4364
07-Mar-10, 17:24
I do not want to scare you but wild birds are possibly very likely to be carriers of salmonella and psittacosis (psittacosis is usually found in parrots but other birds could possibly be carriers although it is only apparent when the bird is under stress -- this could be the case here as the bird was "trapped". Some good disinfectants on any surface where droppings were found should hopefully eliminate any risk to you and your baby. The chances of any disease being transmitted to you is minimal as in the open air we are continually coming into contact with the birds and maybe even their droppings.
Personally I would give the surfaces a clean with disinfectant and then forget all about it as the chances of catching anything is very slight. By the way what kind of birds were they.

theone
07-Mar-10, 17:27
Don't think you'll have a problem as long as you clean up their mess.

It's worth finding out how they got in though, it's unlikely they would come in a door or window.

I found a couple in my house, couldn't work out how they got in until one day I could hear a noise behind the gas fire. Next thing I knew a bird flew it through the gap underneath. A chimney cap sorted it out.

wicker8
07-Mar-10, 17:44
I do not want to scare you but wild birds are possibly very likely to be carriers of salmonella and psittacosis (psittacosis is usually found in parrots but other birds could possibly be carriers although it is only apparent when the bird is under stress -- this could be the case here as the bird was "trapped". Some good disinfectants on any surface where droppings were found should hopefully eliminate any risk to you and your baby. The chances of any disease being transmitted to you is minimal as in the open air we are continually coming into contact with the birds and maybe even their droppings.
Personally I would give the surfaces a clean with disinfectant and then forget all about it as the chances of catching anything is very slight. By the way what kind of birds were they. hi stewart thanks i have dettox and some flash with bleach i have taken all you have said on board and will do so the are stirlers there is a nest in my cooker hood i dont want to hurt them just want rid of them thanks again

wicker8
07-Mar-10, 17:52
Don't think you'll have a problem as long as you clean up their mess.

It's worth finding out how they got in though, it's unlikely they would come in a door or window.

I found a couple in my house, couldn't work out how they got in until one day I could hear a noise behind the gas fire. Next thing I knew a bird flew it through the gap underneath. A chimney cap sorted it out. hi there thanks for the reply my daughter is logged of she is of to get her oh we are not sure if there are anymore we think its a nest they got in by a small hole beside her cooker hood we dont want to hurt them just make sure they are gone and fill in the hole i was having a nice day and something always goes wrong on behave of my daughter thanks for your help

wicker8
07-Mar-10, 17:54
hi stewart thanks i have dettox and some flash with bleach i have taken all you have said on board and will do so the are stirlers there is a nest in my cooker hood i dont want to hurt them just want rid of them thanks againhi stewarti am posting on my daughters behalf she is away to get her oh we are not brave enough to check for anymore i think they are a bit frightened just like us

Vistravi
07-Mar-10, 19:17
Personally I would give the surfaces a clean with disinfectant and then forget all about it as the chances of catching anything is very slight. By the way what kind of birds were they.

Aye i agree. All you need to do is give the bathroom and any other room the bird was in a right good clean with disinfectant, dettol preferably.

only me
07-Mar-10, 20:05
Aye i agree. All you need to do is give the bathroom and any other room the bird was in a right good clean with disinfectant, dettol preferably. hi now back thanks for your help have done so and there is no more poor little things must of been terrified

only me
07-Mar-10, 20:06
thanks to one and all problem now sorted

stewart4364
07-Mar-10, 20:40
Was there a nest and if so were there eggs? If eggs were in the nest they could be checked to see if they were fertile by holding up to a bright light --after about 4 or 5 days if the eggs are fertile you should be able to see the blood vessels or a chick if they are more developed. Now that the birds are gone try and block up where they were getting in -- starlings will manage to sqeeze through a gap as small as 40mm to 50mm.
I agree that you do not want to hurt the birds but once they have a nest and eggs it is a bit unkind to the birds if you chuck them out.

Stefan
07-Mar-10, 23:26
Aye i agree. All you need to do is give the bathroom and any other room the bird was in a right good clean with disinfectant, dettol preferably.

Now, have you thought that one through?
Bleach and babies don't go too well neither, all sorts of health risks attached to spraying around chemicals. Babies touch things and stick their fingers in their mouth....

only me
08-Mar-10, 13:40
Was there a nest and if so were there eggs? If eggs were in the nest they could be checked to see if they were fertile by holding up to a bright light --after about 4 or 5 days if the eggs are fertile you should be able to see the blood vessels or a chick if they are more developed. Now that the birds are gone try and block up where they were getting in -- starlings will manage to sqeeze through a gap as small as 40mm to 50mm.
I agree that you do not want to hurt the birds but once they have a nest and eggs it is a bit unkind to the birds if you chuck them out. hi no sign of a nest i would not be nasty i now its nature but there are bits of twig fluff i would say from a tumble drier so not sure if this was going to be a nest we have vented it all off thanks very much for your help:Razz

Vistravi
08-Mar-10, 16:47
hi now back thanks for your help have done so and there is no more poor little things must of been terrified

No problem, glad you got it sorted. Wouldn't want you or your wee one catching anything.

Now, have you thought that one through?
Bleach and babies don't go too well neither, all sorts of health risks attached to spraying around chemicals. Babies touch things and stick their fingers in their mouth....

On reflection Stefan i think i would say good old fashioned hot soapy water would do the trick for anything the wee one would have access to touch. I suggested dettol as it would have killed almost all of the germs the bird may have left in it's droppings. I'm sure only me made sure her wee one wasn't given the opportunity to touch any of the wet spray.

With my own child i would never clean his/hers toys in anything but hot soapy water and returned once complelty dry.

only me
08-Mar-10, 22:09
No problem, glad you got it sorted. Wouldn't want you or your wee one catching anything.

On reflection Stefan i think i would say good old fashioned hot soapy water would do the trick for anything the wee one would have access to touch. I suggested dettol as it would have killed almost all of the germs the bird may have left in it's droppings. I'm sure only me made sure her wee one wasn't given the opportunity to touch any of the wet spray.

With my own child i would never clean his/hers toys in anything but hot soapy water and returned once complelty dry. hi thanksfor the concern i understand where stefan is coming from but i also see what vistravi means its all sorted and cleaned i had to use some harsh chemicals as there is also adults in the house but where the little one was no harsh ones just dettox antibac thanks again and take care:Razz

Dadie
08-Mar-10, 22:33
Ps for all the kids plastic toys ... im lazy if it fits in the dishwasher it goes in!
Life is too short for scrubbing toys, the little angels give me enough cleaning to do at the best of times:lol:
And the steam cleaner blasts the dirt off most other things...