PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Diet

candy
07-Mar-10, 16:16
Has anyone tried the atkins diet? If so how did you do? I am looking for a meal planner and basic instructions on how this diet works (which foods to eat etc) would be greatful for any help :D

telfordstar
07-Mar-10, 16:19
Not wanting to put you off it but my friend was on it for a while and she suffered really bad smelly breath, worse smellng sweat and the most stinky farts( hope im allowed to say that word) ive ever smelt, wasnt a good diet for her.

candy
07-Mar-10, 16:30
Billy no mates then :lol::lol::lol: but did she loose weight?

Julia
07-Mar-10, 16:31
I did well on this diet a few years ago, I got heaps of info and food suggestion off the internet, http://uk.atkins.com/program

I would not recommend staying on it for more than a few months at a time and during this time you have to retrain your eating habits or whatever you lose will go right back on.

It definitely works, I'm not too bothered about bread, tatties and pasta so found it not too bad, sugar free jelly every day is also a nice treat!

candy
07-Mar-10, 16:34
Thanks Julia, desperate measures calling :lol:

changilass
07-Mar-10, 16:51
I signed up for tesco diet last week and have opted for the heart healty diet, just started it today. Looks like quite a variety of choice, but time will tell.

The wee man decided he liked the look of my breakfast of peanut butter on toast and a banana, so decided thats what he wanted for lunch lol.

linedancer1
07-Mar-10, 17:48
Try SlimmingWorld its really good lots more to eat than you think. More about healthy eating and yu can have up to 15 Syns a day. One small bottle of lucozade is 13.5 syns so not too many of them will be drunk!!!

cazmanian_minx
07-Mar-10, 19:55
I'm using www.sparkpeople.com It's free, you tell it your target weight and how long you want to take to lose the weight. It comes up with a daily calorie guideline for you and will either provide a diet plan (bear in mind it's American) or you can just add in what you're eating from the food lists (quite a lot of Brits on there, so Tesco stock is slowly getting added!). I've been tracking my exercise and eating on it for six weeks and have lost 8lbs so far - it would have been more if I hadn't accidentally told it I only wanted to lose 0.1lbs a week!

I'm also following the Couch to 5K running plan from www.c25k.com and 8 weeks in am happily jogging for 28 minutes without stopping, despite not having run since I last had to at school 20 years ago!

telfordstar
07-Mar-10, 21:46
Billy no mates then :lol::lol::lol: but did she loose weight?

No she didnt really loose much then after stopping on it went again.

chef4celebrations
08-Mar-10, 01:35
i was on the atkins diet for a month and lost 14 lbs i was great as i was on a month tour of new zealand where there is such an abundance of fresh fish and meat with loads of meat, for breakfast steak eggs sausage and bacon, followed by a fish stew for lunch as i was diving for 2 weeks and i needed loads of energy, teatime was always a meat in a creamy sauce, being a chef it is easy to think of new ideas but it was hard not having spuds or rice or bread, but you are allowed pumpernickle/rye bread.
but now it is a different story lost 14 and put on 34 over the years...lol god i hate the yoyo diet effect.

Bobinovich
08-Mar-10, 11:46
Diets - phoey! I lost a stone just by reducing my portions and removing most snacks. Still allow myself a wee treat (a strip of a 200g Galaxy Fruit & Nut) when I feel the need but find a bar lasts me weeks!

As the saying goes, everything in moderation :D

cazdan
14-May-10, 20:19
hi I have an Atkins for life low- carb cookery book if you want it. I didnt get round to looking at it tooo busy. pm me if you want it and I will look it out for you.

Liz
15-May-10, 18:16
Diets - phoey! I lost a stone just by reducing my portions and removing most snacks. Still allow myself a wee treat (a strip of a 200g Galaxy Fruit & Nut) when I feel the need but find a bar lasts me weeks!

As the saying goes, everything in moderation :D

Quite agree with you and don't agree with 'diets'. It really has to be a lifestyle change of, as you say, eating less but not depriving yourself. I find that eating healthily all week and then allowing myself to eat what I want at the weekends works.
You may lose weight on diets but as soon as you start to eat 'normally' the weight usually goes flying back on.

Of course exercise is good as well and this could just be walking more.:D

Rictina
15-May-10, 18:25
I did the atkins diet years ago, & yes initially I did loose a few pounds, but as soon as I finished with it my weight seemed to go higher than ever before !

The best way to loose weight which I have found is just be being sensible, & cutting out all the sweeties etc.....

I dont agree with diets anymore, its your lifestyle you have to change forever.

ShelleyCowie
19-May-10, 23:47
Im done with diets! When i was 17 i went on to SCottish slimmers, dropped down below 10st which looking back wasnt a great thing because i am just over 5ft 9" so i lost over 2 stone in 6 weeks

Went to slimming world last year and lost a pound each week. Later finding out i was actually pregnant.

But as Bobinovich says, portion size! Treats are more than acceptable! I feel if you say your on a diet you will feel more guilty having a chinese takeaway or anything!

Dont count calories, whats the point? Plan meals ahead to ensure you buy basically what you need each week. Plenty of fruit and veg too.

Gd Luck :Razz