PDA

View Full Version : staffies

dbooth82
07-Mar-10, 15:47
hi i just wanted to no what every1 thinks adout staffordshire bull terriers. i personaly love them,they get bad rep from idiots using them as weapons and for fighting! i am hoping to rehome a stray from the dog warden. so would yous let me no what you think of them? thanks.:D

Julia
07-Mar-10, 16:42
I would not recommend it personally especially if you have young children.

You just have to google the breed to see how dangerous they can be in the wrong hands.

I've gotten into a few spats on here previously discussing this breed but I haven't changed my mind. I think it was in 2006 that Staffies were the top most reported dog for attacking/biting family members.

After all it's because of their aggressive nature that they are used for illegal dog fighting.

Aaldtimer
07-Mar-10, 18:04
Sorry Julia, can't agree with you on that. They are no more agressive than any other dog.
They are trained to fight by numb-skulls!
The Staffie's nick-name is the "Nanny dog"!:)

froal
07-Mar-10, 18:22
All the ones i've met have been Very friendly and soft lumps.....!!!
And i agree with Aaldtimer.....!!! :)

brandy
07-Mar-10, 18:26
personally i dont like them.. but thats just me.. they are a very scary breed. they are everywhere you look. it seems like every other person has one, but i just can not be comfy around them. again that is my personal feelings. im sure there are lovely ones out there.. but the damage they are capable of is just scary. i know any dog is capable of causing a lot of damage to people.. but with those hard mouths crushing jaws and super muscled bodies.. they scare me.. eek

shazzap
07-Mar-10, 18:43
I would not have a Staffordshire, Alsatian, English Bull terrier or Akita/breeds related to them.

I have had, or known of some one, who has had a bad experience with these breeds.

I know that any breed in the wrong hands can be dangerous, i would watch any dog around children. After all they are animals and have wild instincts.

My Yorkie is so soft and good natured but i still keep a close watch when the grand children are around.

I am not frightened my self of any breed, but if you have some one who is unsure of them selves around a stubborn/dominant breed of dog. The dog will sense this and will take advantage.

This is my opinion and i am sure there will be many of you who will disagree with me.

Sarah
07-Mar-10, 19:34
I think they are lovely dogs :) so very friendly and loving! Nothing beats a staffie smile.

Bookworm
07-Mar-10, 19:51
I would not re-home a staffie as you won't know its temperment but they can be loving dogs if brought up right as puppies.

I personally, don't like them as they are one of the breeds of dog that have attacked mine while out for a walk, e.g. staffie, newfie and border collie.

bullielove
07-Mar-10, 20:06
Staffies are great wee dogs - its just the wrong owners and ignorant people who give them a bad press. Unfortunately the dog homes are bursting with them and staffie crosses because of irresponsible breeding and owners. Lots die every day, it is so sad. Good on you considering adopting one! I am sure that you wont be disappointed. If you want more information you may find someone like scottish staffie rescue useful. Common sense though as you would any dog. i.e dont let run free until you are 100% sure he is dog friendly and has good recall. and dont leave unsupervised with young children

Nothing does beat a staffie smile as Sarah says and the 'nanny dog' is so apt - Our staffie and my daughter are the best of friends. Also they can 'chat' you wont hear a more vocal dog in communicating their views lol

Good luck!

teenybash
07-Mar-10, 21:40
I hope you carry on and give a Staffie a home, they are lovely natured and very protective and faithful As always common sense must prevail when dogs and children are together, no matter the breed. Handled with with love and you will receive an abundance back.:)

duke
07-Mar-10, 22:09
we have owned staffys all our lifes and have never ever any trouble with any of our dogs,,iv got 2 just now,,and i agree with aldtimer totaly,,its down to the small minded owners of the breed who use the breed as a status symbol!!!
our dogs are not vivcous or aggresive to man woman or children or any thing for that matter!!!!infact a collie attack my oldest dog outside lidis the other day,,my dog was on alead too,,like i sed before me and my famliy have and do own staffys,,,they are a very much loved and trusted part of our family life,and will be for the forsible future,,collies are infact the most likely too attack you or your kids or pets acording to google,,i hope you get chance to give a staffy agood loving home FOR LIFE,,,
cheers duke:)

dbooth82
07-Mar-10, 22:53
hi every1 we just got another staffie bitch called stella! she is red and white! 1 big bull head brindle male called diesel,1 brindle bitch called tara which we rehomed from balmore and our new edition stella.

dbooth82
07-Mar-10, 22:54
plz carry on with all your comments its interesting to hear what yous think!

superceltic
07-Mar-10, 23:50
staffies are the most loveing and soft animals i have ever come across, its how they are brought up the same as every other breed, if u teach a poodle to be vicious it will! it annoys me when people judge poor defensless animals due to some ar*****ls raising them to fight

abz02
08-Mar-10, 01:30
I know people with staffies and as a few folk have already mentioned,they are lovely dogs in the right hands and make excellent pet's, although i think by the time the dog you are planning to rescue may not be ideal as you never know it's background.
As a dog warden said to me once it does'nt take much for thes dogs to turn, what i'm trying to say is if it is a staffie you want as a pet you should probably get one as a pup.
good luck with it.

abz02
08-Mar-10, 01:38
we have owned staffys all our lifes and have never ever any trouble with any of our dogs,,iv got 2 just now,,and i agree with aldtimer totaly,,its down to the small minded owners of the breed who use the breed as a status symbol!!!
our dogs are not vivcous or aggresive to man woman or children or any thing for that matter!!!!infact a collie attack my oldest dog outside lidis the other day,,my dog was on alead too,,like i sed before me and my famliy have and do own staffys,,,they are a very much loved and trusted part of our family life,and will be for the forsible future,,collies are infact the most likely too attack you or your kids or pets acording to google,,i hope you get chance to give a staffy agood loving home FOR LIFE,,,
cheers duke:)

Collies are the most intelligent dog and most difficult to own again down to ownership and training, at the end of the day no dog is incapable of attack.

Aaldtimer
08-Mar-10, 04:39
And at the end of the day, no dog is incapable of rehabilitation!
It's NOT the breed!:confused

jings00
08-Mar-10, 12:49
the staffies i have known are lovely dogs, soft lumps. very strong and energetic wee dogs. and like Sarah says, canny beat the smile :-)

StacNKel
08-Mar-10, 14:18
I have known lots of staffies and they have all been lovely! Like a lot of breeds they have got a bad rep as there are some horrible people out there who breed them purely to fight or bring them up in a way which makes them unpredictable! Most families who keep them bring them up in a way which makes them loving and every bit as special as any other breed of dog is to a family.

Hogfather
08-Mar-10, 14:54
All the staffies I have met have been cracking little dogs, soft as butter with people (except around the head, I've had a bust lip twice from an overenthusiastic bouncy staffie greeting, right hard skulls they have, lol :Razz). Don't know if it's just the ones I know, but they have a funny way of 'talking' to you, sound like wee gremlins :D. They are not always great with other dogs though, depends how they've been raised I guess?

dbooth82
08-Mar-10, 16:19
well diesel got attacked when he was a puppy by another staffie about 2 yrs old its was a old man that had him..it was his fault not the staffie fault ,as he had never seen another dog before always lock up in the back ..thank god diesel wasnt hurt that bad .... you have to let them get to know other dogs at a earlyer age ,and have control of them at all times.... but i have to say en i have my little 1 in the pram not 1 dog will come near as hes so cares for my girl and boy and he would never let any thing happen to any of us ,,as 1 of my mates says put ur own child in the garden fine try nd take ur own child out no way ,,nanny dog all the way,,he would die for any of us anyday as hes the most loveable,true dog ever,they are true to their owners thats whats wrong with little selfish sh**s [evil]that know this and take advantige of how true there are to you ,,i think there should be laws that state no under 21s should have a dog,have to go through training classes before you get 1 to make sure you know how to handle,care for,love,disapline the lot,not just for breeding ,no cross breeding dogs i hate ppl that do this its bloody silly and sad on the poor dogs,how many times a dog should be breed because its sad how many get a dog be bad to it or worse , sell it or it goes up to a rescue place,,its not on or not fair ,,,,, and for people that wants a dog for life any breed please go to ur nearst rescue centre ,,,and give 1 a lovely home we need good loveABLE PPL LIKE US that care and would do any thing for a dog a dogs not just for xmas ,,FOR LIFE if their wasnt ppl like us it would be a sad horrible life ,,en am in pets at home any change i have i give it to em every pennys helps,,,,, big up to all the dog lovers out there that are true to their dogs :Razz

dbooth82
08-Mar-10, 16:52
if staffies where us and us them ,,, the world would be a better place ........ full of smiles,:Razz safer,:Razz laughter [lol],, and getin dirty as ever :Razz

stromalassy
09-Mar-10, 09:47
staffies are the most loveing and soft animals i have ever come across, its how they are brought up the same as every other breed, if u teach a poodle to be vicious it will! it annoys me when people judge poor defensless animals due to some ar*****ls raising them to fight i totally agree, i love staffies and it's really sad that they get a bad name because of some idiot owners, my dog is staffie x collie and she is fantastic with kids, when my boy was a toddler he could do anything to her and she wouldn't even growl at him. I have friends who have pure bred staffies and they are so affectionate. In my opinion Owners are to blame, definately.

spaceddaisy
09-Mar-10, 13:43
My mum always said that there's no such thing as a bad dog, simply a bad owner. I happen to agree with that wholeheartedly.

dbooth82
09-Mar-10, 14:27
keep ur coments comen very interesting thanks

cat
09-Mar-10, 15:43
iv said before i dont like them.im sure they maybe are ok in their home,with their family when they know their place in the pecking order.but iv got very nice neighbours who certainly would not have trained their dog to be aggresive yet i cant simply walk past their house with my dogs without them being attacked.
and it is a breed thing!take any dog that is bred for a purpose and they will display characteristics of that breed!my collie knows how to work round sheep with no training,my lab cant even though she is well trained in commands.my basset will sniff all day and has a mind all of her own when she does this and will not be distracted from it.
personally i wouldnt have a terrier in my house with kids,especially if i didnt know its history and didnt have it from a pup

dbooth82
10-Mar-10, 17:37
i dis agree i have 3 staffies best natured in the town ...1 grown up as a pup and other 2 no ..my young 1 is 16 months old and oldest 11 and these dogs are like any other dogs ,,and all dogs are wild dogs at heart really any 1 of them has the same in them no matter how big or small ,,,, no dogs big or small should ever be trusted with any kids no matter how cuddley they are ,, i am a responsible mother and owner ,,, i know my kids and know my dogs actions ,,, nd if they act any different any day ,,,, just know your dog and every thing will be fine ..