PDA

View Full Version : Highland Council.............Hands off !!

Alice in Blunderland
06-Mar-10, 23:27
The Highland Council propose to axe funding of Instrumental Tuition in schools by withdrawing all funding in financial year 2011/12.

This will deny Highland of a comprehensive tuition system which promotes access and excellence. It will not only mean removing the only source of tuition for many who wish to pursue music as a career, but will also mean that thousands of young people will not be able to experience the sense of achievement and satisfaction gained from learning musical skills.
The Areas Regional Music Groups (all seven of them) will cease to exist (www.highland-young-musicians.com) which would mean a sad loss to the whole area, once again denying access to musical training of the highest calibre and an important social contact network.
This proposal goes against every aspect of Curriculum for Excellence and we should urge The Highland Council to reconsider this option and invest in the area's talent and abilities rather than denying all our young people a vital opportunity.

Hands off Highland Young musicians ! [disgust]

It would be a different story if these kids were out trashing the place money would come from somewhere to give them that little extra encouragement but no because these children are willing to put extra effort into learning a little instrument they are being penalised !

Anyone wanting to sign the petition click on the link.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/handsoffhighlandyoungmusicians/

I take it money is so tight that there wont be any funding going towards the MOD in Caithness this year or am I wrong ?? [evil]

Serenity
06-Mar-10, 23:40
I will be signing it. It is a good service.
I remember in school I wanted to learn an instrument and so went along and they tried out a few with me and I was basically told (in a nice way) I was tone deaf lol. I am, so to me that is a good sign, they don't just take anyone on.
I think it would be a shame to lose it.

I also would rather the money was spent on this than the Mod but don't think it is relevant.

poppett
06-Mar-10, 23:44
I have signed up.

Everything possible should be done to encourage children with a talent for music, or indeed just the keen urge to sing up. I am saddened as I get older and attend more funerals how few folk younger than I am can not sing a basic hymn or hold a tune.

Musical dicipline follows onto other subjects in life too.

Moira
06-Mar-10, 23:57
The Highland Council propose to axe funding of Instrumental Tuition in schools by withdrawing all funding in financial year 2011/12.........

take it money is so tight that there wont be any funding going towards the MOD in Caithness this year or am I wrong ?? [evil]

I've not researched the topic or your links in detail Alice and you may well have a valid point. Is not the "Caithness Mod" money "ring-fenced"?

crayola
07-Mar-10, 01:37
I take it money is so tight that there wont be any funding going towards the MOD in Caithness this year or am I wrong ?? [evil]
I don't know but the high heidie of the quango whose lifeblood is your putative bête noire has signed the petition and he thinks he's on the same side of the fight as you are...............

Name: Arthur Cormack on Mar 6, 2010

Comments: Cuts in public spending are inevitable as the UK struggles to pay for bank bail-outs and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as further 'investment' in Trident. The cost of Trident is 4 times the annual budget for the whole of Scotland! The current cuts being made within the Highland Council, to put them into perspective, are between 3 and 4% per annum of its overall budget. The council would normally save about 2% in efficiencies from year to year so they have to find an additional 2%. Cutting 20% from the Fèis movement and 30% from the Blas Festival is hugely short-sighted. The council will save £30k on Blas but probably render the festival non-viable which means that £700k will be lost to the Highland economy! Cutting musical tuition in schools would be a hugely backward step for the Highlands which has been renowned over many years for its cultural provision and I congratulate those who set up this petition. The worst thing is that the Highland Council is doing all of this without consulting anyone and huge mistakes are being made in the process.
I congratulate Arthur on his conversion to the principle of local consultation but I must ask where he was when Highland Council decided on Garlic roadsigns without consulting the people of Caithness. :roll:

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-10, 09:57
The knock on effect of cutting instrument tuition at base level in schools will have a great impact on all festivals. I fear for the future of the Music festival !

I understand the need to tighten the belts however as has been stated there is no consultation, mind you even if there was its a minority amount of children that are being affected. If these kids were out on the street causing mayhem guaranteed there would be some kind of money thrown at them to help them to improve.They are not ! they are going about their school days taking on extra activities at a cost to the parent in most cases and they are now going to suffer from this cut. The people in Education offices or in Council positions are not losing out here its the children !

I take it the new High School possibly being built will have music rooms in it. Well there's another saving ! Oh and gym well why bother giving them gym lessons or swimming lessons for that matter in fact let me see ................back in the times gone bye we hear about the slate board and chalk. Well how about contacting Jocky and having some good old Caithness slab hung up in all the classes and get the kids to bring a large bit of pavement chalk each to school each day........save a fortune on books and paper. There you go now what committee can I join to help with these decisions Ill soon save them some money !

Yes some may read this and say och its only music......yes music today what tomorrow when more money needs to be squeezed ?

Yes tighten our belts but leave the blood still flowing to your legs for goodness sake. [disgust]

As for the Garlic money well whats the point in investing in this area and other such things when the basic services cannot fully support the majority of people who are here living in the county ?

Weeboyagee I await your reply on this one with interest..... wakey wakey. :Razz

upolian
07-Mar-10, 10:24
I enjoyed learning this at high school,oh how i wish i carried on playing the guitar!

Ive signed the petition:D what will the pupils be robbed of next...?

Sage
07-Mar-10, 11:16
Whenever there are budget cuts it's always the Arts that suffer and it makes me bloody mad [evil]

Isnt it funny how the arts are one of the ways to promote the County, get visitors in and celebrate whats great about the area, yet when money is involved the Arts are always the ones to get shoved aside. The council will accept praise for the areas talent yet dont nutrure it.

I'll go and sign that petition.

And as for the Gaelic signs.....grrrrr (massive, huge waste of money )

Cattach
07-Mar-10, 11:32
The Highland Council propose to axe funding of Instrumental Tuition in schools by withdrawing all funding in financial year 2011/12.

This will deny Highland of a comprehensive tuition system which promotes access and excellence. It will not only mean removing the only source of tuition for many who wish to pursue music as a career, but will also mean that thousands of young people will not be able to experience the sense of achievement and satisfaction gained from learning musical skills.
The Areas Regional Music Groups (all seven of them) will cease to exist (www.highland-young-musicians.com) which would mean a sad loss to the whole area, once again denying access to musical training of the highest calibre and an important social contact network.
This proposal goes against every aspect of Curriculum for Excellence and we should urge The Highland Council to reconsider this option and invest in the area's talent and abilities rather than denying all our young people a vital opportunity.

It would be a different story if these kids were out trashing the place money would come from somewhere to give them that little extra encouragement but no because these children are willing to put extra effort into learning a little instrument they are being penalised !

Highly subsidised Music tuition is a luxury we cannot afford for the elitist few at the expense of the bread and butter subjects of the 3 Rs. If parents want their children to participate in such activities they should pay the market price whether this be privately or through the education authority. The same applies to the plethora of other so called support and development services. Sports Officers should also go and children, if so inclined, join the Athletics Club, Swimming Club or similar groups.

Why Music Tuition and not tuition in the many other hobby skills that pulils are interested in. Music is very much for the selective few and as such takes education money away from those not gift with musical ability.

If parents want it for their children let them pay.

Mr P Cannop
07-Mar-10, 11:41

the council memmbers are still getting their hot lunch payed for them and getting their hotel also

viking
07-Mar-10, 11:59
For your information, parents do pay for tuition, currently £60 per term. Families on benefits don't have to pay.
The bottom line is, nobody wants cuts of any sort. My child gets tuition which I pay for. The instructor is currently trying to organise a trip to Germany next year and the group will be really disappointed if it doesn't go ahead, however, it's not a front line service.
ECS and Social Work have to make very unpopular decisions. I wonder how many folk would be cross if the council tax went up to pay for non essential spending?

cuddlepop
07-Mar-10, 12:01
Alice will I agree its important to have instrumental tuition,cuts are going to have to be made.

I posted earlier and no one commented but hay if we lose our elderly day centre, here and on Raasay,respite unit and disability day center its only Skye.:~(

Schools will close and pools so how would you priorities?.:confused

Cattach
07-Mar-10, 12:08
For your information, parents do pay for tuition, currently £60 per term. Families on benefits don't have to pay.
The bottom line is, nobody wants cuts of any sort. My child gets tuition which I pay for. The instructor is currently trying to organise a trip to Germany next year and the group will be really disappointed if it doesn't go ahead, however, it's not a front line service.
ECS and Social Work have to make very unpopular decisions. I wonder how many folk would be cross if the council tax went up to pay for non essential spending?

I know exactly what they pay for tuition and it is highly subsidised at the expense of other educational services. My family went to music tuition outside the local authority system and had to pay much more. We had to pay a lot for piano tuition. Why are not instruments provided for and not others. If you want fairness how about tuition some of the other instruments not provided for?

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-10, 12:09

I and many others already do pay for music tuition and if asked would pay more which is already going to be happening as the fees I believe are possibly going to rise. :)

If that's the proposal let them pay for anything not the norm then let that stand for everything.

Why stop at music, swimming etc. etc. lets get it all sorted. How about special support for unruly children.........throw them out of school. Why should some be penalised? let everything not to do with the the Rs be wiped then.

Yes let the kids who want to go swimming join a swimming club. Where will they swim if next on the hit list may be the pool.......the trinkie ? ;)

Sage
07-Mar-10, 12:29
I wonder how much would be saved if the Councils actually got of their backsides, stopped ruminating and actually made decisions instead of having numerous committees, paid for by us to sit on their backsides and talk?

Music is NOT for the elite, that's ridiculous.

Mister Squiggle
07-Mar-10, 15:07
I already pay around £ 60 per term for my daughter's violin tuition she receives through the school and I expect this will probably increase. I think it's good value for money and I don't begrudge paying it, but I'd hate to see the programme stopped in schools - music is such a vital part of life for us. My daughter loves her violin - its bought her a lot of joy and is something which we all share and I think she's learned an enormous amount (about music, about having to be dedicated enough to practice regularly) from her strings teacher.

If music tuition through the school stopped, we'd probably be able to afford some private tuition, but what happens to children whose families can't afford lessons outside of school or can't find any suitable teachers/lessons in their area or at a suitable time?

If music tuition in the schools stops, I expect many children will miss out altogether, which would be so sad. We'd be depriving them of something so expressive and wonderful and denying them the opportunity to tap into something that they might really excel at and enjoy. :(

Thumper
07-Mar-10, 15:53
Highly subsidised Music tuition is a luxury we cannot afford for the elitist few at the expense of the bread and butter subjects of the 3 Rs. If parents want their children to participate in such activities they should pay the market price whether this be privately or through the education authority. The same applies to the plethora of other so called support and development services. Sports Officers should also go and children, if so inclined, join the Athletics Club, Swimming Club or similar groups.

Why Music Tuition and not tuition in the many other hobby skills that pulils are interested in. Music is very much for the selective few and as such takes education money away from those not gift with musical ability.

sorry but this is utter rubbish! Not all parents can afford to pay for tuition but yet their children are good at music so why should they lose out?Music is taught at schools anyway(primary and first year at least as far as I am aware) but extra tuition is not and thats where the funding comes in for those who cannot afford it,my son is being taught trumpet,he will not be able to continue without funding as I am unemployed at the moment,why does that have to stop his enrichment though? I am not asking for help to pay for playstations or computers or even toys I am asking for help to encourage his music and I dont see why it should change? Yes those who can afford it DO pay but at least those of us who cant still get the chance to allow our children to be taught! My oldest was very good at guitar and was taught privatly but when my circumstances changed he had to give up the lessons as I simply couldnt afford the money each week to pay for it-he lost out as there were no places left for him to take it up in school :( so why should children lose out just because they arent rich? x

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-10, 17:38
sorry but this is utter rubbish! Not all parents can afford to pay for tuition but yet their children are good at music so why should they lose out?Music is taught at schools anyway(primary and first year at least as far as I am aware) but extra tuition is not and thats where the funding comes in for those who cannot afford it,my son is being taught trumpet,he will not be able to continue without funding as I am unemployed at the moment,why does that have to stop his enrichment though? I am not asking for help to pay for playstations or computers or even toys I am asking for help to encourage his music and I dont see why it should change? Yes those who can afford it DO pay but at least those of us who cant still get the chance to allow our children to be taught! My oldest was very good at guitar and was taught privatly but when my circumstances changed he had to give up the lessons as I simply couldnt afford the money each week to pay for it-he lost out as there were no places left for him to take it up in school :( so why should children lose out just because they arent rich? x

Another good reason why it should be continued in schools. The kids who would not otherwise be given this opportunity are able to take up an instrument they would not possibly get the chance to.

School lunches are subsidised, school clothes are subsidised, why pick on music? If you want to save cash look at everything and then take it to consultation with those who are affected.

Another thought for future reference when rolling out all these new schemes and ideas why don't the Government and Council stop for a moment and think in the future will we be able to sustain this ? If the answer is no then move on and forget it rather than start up something that in the end will be mothballed as the funding is just not there.

It ends up being a total waste of everyone's time and money, raises the hopes and expectations of students and parents just to have them dashed again!

This goes for everything not only music.

We all remember the time when money was free flowing for nurseries and in Thrumster they built one attached to the school just for two pupils now funding is tight and population predictions are not so good everyone's nursery is on an annual review.........utter nonsense in a modern advancing society. :roll: