PDA

View Full Version : I am a little shamed

John Little
06-Mar-10, 18:26
Yes I am a little ashamed of myself, yet I am moved to write this because another new member of this forum has just condemned what somebody else says as a load of crap. The bad feeling continues across threads and the acid drips.

I have not been here very long so did not know the culture of the boards, yet the other day I put my opinion up on something and found shortly afterwards that in exchange for my honestly held views, someone had given me a bad rep and called me a ‘silly idiot’. Now I do assure you that there are few people who would care to call me that in real life, whatever they might be thinking, and I am not really used to such – so being somewhat disturbed in my equilibrium I sent them a PM and told them to go screw themselves if that was their attitude towards my expressing my thoughts.

With another poster I found that it was plainly obvious that we had nothing in common and it would be pointless to try – I told him he was an arrogant man and that I should not reply to his posts – in which he concurred; evidently he feels as I do. Which is perhaps a shame for it stifles debate.

The reason I joined this forum is because I used to live in Caithness and did not want to move away from it as a kid, and was very upset when I did. I have very fond memories of Thurso and was half hoping that by being here I might just stumble on some of the now aging people that I was at Miller with- you know the sort of thing.

I did think it odd that many of the people here use pseudonyms – but now I know why.

This is not so much a community website for quite a few people, but a personal war zone. It is redolent of Scotland’s history. War bonnets are worn here, claymores are out and dirks flash in the sun as blood flows. Colkitto and Montrose are coming doon the glen, banners flying and kilts swinging whilst the Whiggish men of Argyle await the onslaught. Feuds break out for each imagined slight.

It used to be said of Thurso that it was probably the most educated town in the UK; that every third person you would see had a degree. If so it follows that you could expect a certain degree of toleration, not a vision of trenches, tin hats and guns blazing.

My wife and I have a dear friend. She is everything I disagree with. She is Conservative, a Zionist, very right wing indeed – and totally wonderful. She is welcome in my house anytime, though we usually avoid particular topics out of mutual respect. Like Voltaire, I disagree with every word she says, but I would fight to the death for her right to say it.

It’s a curious thing but it’s not what I expected in a Caithness Forum. My memories and experiences are of kindly, friendly and hospitable people who get on and have a real community feeling for each other. A place which is vibrant and alive with a diversity of people, full of intelligence and experience who have much of value to say in the free exchange of views. Instead there seem to be grenades exploding everywhere.

By the way – I like to use multiple question marks in some of my posts if I am puzzled, though I know Lynne Truss would not approve

Okay - it’s not my war. I do not live in Thurso any more and maybe I should just butt out- after all I do not need to be here, am remote in Geography and years from being part of your community. I do not doubt that someone will actually tell me to butt out in response to this - but hey ho- there ye go.

But I wanted to say- as a newcomer- that I do not think anyone here talks ‘crap’- anyone! We live in a pluralistic democracy where views reflect political differences- which is how it should be. The tone of debate on these boards could, with a little more restraint and mutual respect, be so much more conducive to the common good. At the moment I see a lot of bitter division.

Is there really such polarisation? Is there no common ground? Or is Caithness.org a cover for feuds and clan warfare? Flame wars and trolls?

Because that’s what it looks like to this newcomer.

Reflect – would you really say some of the things you say to peoples’ faces in real life?

John Little is my real name.

This is what I think.

I may be, and am willing to be, corrected.

gleeber
06-Mar-10, 18:45
Yes I am a little ashamed of myself
Is there really such polarisation? Is there no common ground? Or is Caithness.org a cover for feuds and clan warfare? Flame wars and trolls?

Reflect – would you really say some of the things you say to peoples’ faces in real life?

This is what I think.

The only thing I would disagree with is there is no clan warfare on the org. Its all a reflection of an individuals relationship with themselves. Mind you there are a few find they have something in common but the proof of the pudding would be in the eating.
It's a modern means of communication and it takes a while to get used to it. For sure there would be a few blooded noses if some of the comments were expanded to the pub but in the real world people are much more careful and keep the beast under control.
I'm not saying the org is not the real world because sometimes its much realer than the real world but its a new way of relating with people.

John Little
06-Mar-10, 18:55
I see your point. Clan warfare I use as an analogy- I don't mean the Gunns and the Sinclairs are going for it- that really would be a hopeless situation!

But I do not think boards have to be as these very often are.

The org is not the real world I agree - but the community gets the org it deserves.
Or should.

Just imagine someone in New York or Hawaii reading these discussions.....what sort of place is Caithness to them?

danc1ngwitch
06-Mar-10, 18:59
Build a bridge, john.
Sometimes thats the only way.
Sounds like your saying the scots ruined Scotland[lol]
Ops, ok, ok. Looks around:eek: i'm sprung, and so the war continues.

( its a computer, turn it of )

northener
06-Mar-10, 19:00
John, don't take it too personally. There's some reet good fights break out on here and, unfortunately, some people get a bit hotter under the collar than they ought to.

Overall, I'd say that this is a pretty all-encompassing forum - the downside of that is that it attracts all-encompassing viewpoints and attitudes....not all of them are even polite, let alone intelligent.

Stick around, John. You'll enjoy it.

gleeber
06-Mar-10, 19:06
This is an international website and the forums never were exclusively caithness. In the beginning we had people from canada Australia California all over using the forums but it was never as bad as its been in the past 6 months. Personal opinion I know but many of the originals who still keep up but dont post any more agree.
I think its a kind of collective reflection of the state of the world.

John Little
06-Mar-10, 19:07
"Sounds like your saying the scots ruined Scotland[lol]"
No - I would never say that, for Scotland is not ruined; it's a beautiful place where half of my blood comes from, and its history is wonderful and dark- and bright.

But who are the Scots? The people of the Flow Country of Norse descent - the clan of Gunnar?

The hidden DNA of the Pictish race?

The Scottii of Dalriada, descendants of Fergus?

The Anglo-Norman- Scots of the south?

And do I count? - Littles of Ettrick-dale, married to Johnsons, Bells and Gordons, have an engish accent

But I'd never say that.

Anfield
06-Mar-10, 19:10
It could be worse.
Look at the post where a member wants people to put on here, where they live!

People would then start getting bricks chucked through their windows.

scotsboy
06-Mar-10, 19:13
This is an international website and the forums never were exclusively caithness. In the beginning we had people from canada Australia California all over using the forums but it was never as bad as its been in the past 6 months. Personal opinion I know but many of the originals who still keep up but dont post any more agree.
I think its a kind of collective reflection of the state of the world.

Exactly Gleeber, so many excellent posters have either gone altogether or post very very rarely.

porshiepoo
06-Mar-10, 19:43
Yes I am a little ashamed of myself, yet I am moved to write this because another new member of this forum has just condemned what somebody else says as a load of crap. The bad feeling continues across threads and the acid drips.

I have not been here very long so did not know the culture of the boards, yet the other day I put my opinion up on something and found shortly afterwards that in exchange for my honestly held views, someone had given me a bad rep and called me a ‘silly idiot’. Now I do assure you that there are few people who would care to call me that in real life, whatever they might be thinking, and I am not really used to such – so being somewhat disturbed in my equilibrium I sent them a PM and told them to go screw themselves if that was their attitude towards my expressing my thoughts.

With another poster I found that it was plainly obvious that we had nothing in common and it would be pointless to try – I told him he was an arrogant man and that I should not reply to his posts – in which he concurred; evidently he feels as I do. Which is perhaps a shame for it stifles debate.

The reason I joined this forum is because I used to live in Caithness and did not want to move away from it as a kid, and was very upset when I did. I have very fond memories of Thurso and was half hoping that by being here I might just stumble on some of the now aging people that I was at Miller with- you know the sort of thing.

I did think it odd that many of the people here use pseudonyms – but now I know why.

This is not so much a community website for quite a few people, but a personal war zone. It is redolent of Scotland’s history. War bonnets are worn here, claymores are out and dirks flash in the sun as blood flows. Colkitto and Montrose are coming doon the glen, banners flying and kilts swinging whilst the Whiggish men of Argyle await the onslaught. Feuds break out for each imagined slight.

It used to be said of Thurso that it was probably the most educated town in the UK; that every third person you would see had a degree. If so it follows that you could expect a certain degree of toleration, not a vision of trenches, tin hats and guns blazing.

My wife and I have a dear friend. She is everything I disagree with. She is Conservative, a Zionist, very right wing indeed – and totally wonderful. She is welcome in my house anytime, though we usually avoid particular topics out of mutual respect. Like Voltaire, I disagree with every word she says, but I would fight to the death for her right to say it.

It’s a curious thing but it’s not what I expected in a Caithness Forum. My memories and experiences are of kindly, friendly and hospitable people who get on and have a real community feeling for each other. A place which is vibrant and alive with a diversity of people, full of intelligence and experience who have much of value to say in the free exchange of views. Instead there seem to be grenades exploding everywhere.

By the way – I like to use multiple question marks in some of my posts if I am puzzled, though I know Lynne Truss would not approve

Okay - it’s not my war. I do not live in Thurso any more and maybe I should just butt out- after all I do not need to be here, am remote in Geography and years from being part of your community. I do not doubt that someone will actually tell me to butt out in response to this - but hey ho- there ye go.

But I wanted to say- as a newcomer- that I do not think anyone here talks ‘crap’- anyone! We live in a pluralistic democracy where views reflect political differences- which is how it should be. The tone of debate on these boards could, with a little more restraint and mutual respect, be so much more conducive to the common good. At the moment I see a lot of bitter division.

This is what I think.

Don't take it to heart.

This forum certainly isn't what it used to be but whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I haven't quite decided.

It's good that posters are more protected from the bullying imbeciles that once trolled the Org but at the same time a lot of the newer posters seem to have the attitude of a 5 year old.
Some People seem to make it their mission on here to stop threads that go against their sensibilities regardless of the fact that there are other posters that enjoy those topics.
I swear sometimes I think that some people just scan through all the threads to see which ones they can moan about or get locked!

The whole point of this forum is to debate, chat, agree, disagree and yes sometimes that can lead to arguments and odd nasty comments.
We're all adults, we all carry out conversations on here as we would at home but I think the problem with this kind of forum chat is that emotion and / or intent cannot be 'seen' and is very easily misinterpreted or misunderstood.

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 20:12
It could be worse.
Look at the post where a member wants people to put on here, where they live!

People would then start getting bricks chucked through their windows.

I think this kind of comment is exactly what this thread is all about - in case you can't remember below is what I posted, you'd have to throw a lot of bricks through a lot of windows to find Orgers! I've no idea why you are trolling, cos it ain't working[lol]

"Just wondering, we seem to be getting a lot of new members - which is good. But wondered why so many do not give their location? - I don't mean exactly where they are, but for example I give 'Strathy others give 'Wick' or 'Melvich' 'Lybster' 'Tucson' 'Edinburgh' 'Kuwait' etc.. quite often we've had - for example - "it's snowing here" and have no idea where it's actually snowing.. a minor point, but just wondered what the reason was.Get the feeling nervous folks on here?.."

Angela
06-Mar-10, 20:27
I think this kind of comment is exactly what this thread is all about - in case you can't remember below is what I posted, you'd have to throw a lot of bricks through a lot of windows to find Orgers!

Well exactly, Bekisman, I do agree with you. They'd have to hurl more than a few hodloads of bricks to be sure of hitting me 'somewhere in Edinburgh'. :lol:

And anyway, why would they want to? :confused [para]

lynne duncan
06-Mar-10, 20:37
well said john little
i use my proper name and post my honest viewpoint
as already said the current atmosphere on here can be interesting to see the attitudes of some, but it is also the community it represents not just some of a like mind, it takes allsorts to make it.
you're always welcome here john, take a deep breath when reading the replies and then scream at the screen, it works for me!

gleeber
06-Mar-10, 20:47
The org can be an education in more ways than one. For the average orger it probably begins as entertainment. A new PC, new to the internet, and a new world all at once. Its quite a hit.
Sometimes people will get their heads snapped off on their first post and the post traumatic stress they suffer from the experience or the orgs famous mods means we never see them again.
Theres been a lot of discontent on the org since New Year. There's snarling everywhere. Every thread I open has caustic tendancies. :eek:
I don't know if the org will ever change but to be honest Ive learnt a lot about human nature, and particularly my own, since I joined the org.
Sometimes when someone posts a caustic response to something that irks you its best to learn from it. It's the only way to survive the org and live to tell the tale. Have they got something constructive to say? The fact that they say it in a caustic manner is their problem and my response has to be about the issue and not the personality of the poster. It's not easy though.
Its great that it's here and hearty thanks to Bill and Niall for giving us the environment to do it.
Mind you as well as an education its still good entertainment. :lol:

Fluff
06-Mar-10, 20:51
John, don't worry about it. I think some orgers take the posts too seriously and forget, its just an internet forum!

mike.mckenzie
06-Mar-10, 21:11
John, its the internet, people say stuff. Pseudonyms allow people to hide and pretend they're something they're not. Some of the biggest virtual blowhards would be the meekest of people if met in the real world. Its an equivalent of the big, brave man sticking the v's and driving aggressively in his big car when he's a henpecked 5ft 4in numpty.

I left Caithness as a kid too John, and similairly didn't want to leave!

Tubthumper
06-Mar-10, 21:25
Some people will post onto any thread but have only a single agenda, for example 'Agree with me that it's all a big conspiracy.'
And that's it, that's all that's contributed; a never ending stream of single-subject dubious flakey material intended only to break others down until they lose the rag and/ or stop posting at which time victory is assumed and the individual moves on to another thread. This can happen over multiple threads at the same time, but always with the same aim in mind.
That means that we have polarised opinions, it's not possible to think 'there could be something in what is said, but what can be done?' it just ends up as 'them vs us'.
The queer thing is that the subject matter has nowt really to do with Caithness, and the individuals concerned are powerless geeks for the most part.
I've put them on ignore, which makes life interesting - you can see them having a ding dong or massaging each other's paranoia, but you have no idea what they're saying. Quite comforting really.

fred
06-Mar-10, 21:40
Some people will post onto any thread but have only a single agenda, for example 'Agree with me that it's all a big conspiracy.'
And that's it, that's all that's contributed; a never ending stream of single-subject dubious flakey material intended only to break others down until they lose the rag and/ or stop posting at which time victory is assumed and the individual moves on to another thread. This can happen over multiple threads at the same time, but always with the same aim in mind.
That means that we have polarised opinions, it's not possible to think 'there could be something in what is said, but what can be done?' it just ends up as 'them vs us'.
The queer thing is that the subject matter has nowt really to do with Caithness, and the individuals concerned are powerless geeks for the most part.
I've put them on ignore, which makes life interesting - you can see them having a ding dong or massaging each other's paranoia, but you have no idea what they're saying. Quite comforting really.

Once upon a time there was a hotel manager who got phone call from an elderly lady guest complaining that she could see the man in the room opposite and he was naked. The manager immediately went to the ladies room and looked out of the window and said "I can't see a naked man". "You have to stand on the chair" said the lady.

If a thread doesn't appeal to you just don't read it.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you it doesn't make them a "conspiracy theorist" or anything else. Some say people don't agree with them because they are "leftists" others have other excuses for not having to consider the possibility they are wrong. The forum would be a far better place if everyone stuck to finding faults in arguments rather than faults in the people making them.

Oh and I think everyone already knows you put me on your ignore list, you've said it enough times, so you are the only one not going to read this.

Latino
06-Mar-10, 21:49
Ah, a night off and I find myself sitting looking at a computer screen - how sad!

Having only recently joined Org a month or two ago I see what John means. It's a great means of circulating information.

The vast majority of people have great ideas and genuinely want to make this an even better area to live in but I too have found a couple of people unable to say anything positive in any of their posts, ever. It's as if they go out of their way to be obnoxious.

Will it stop me using the forum - 'No' because I enjoy reading and sometimes contributing.

ducati
06-Mar-10, 21:50

I am prepared to reconsider if you are, you have got the required knack of talking pish :lol:

cuddlepop
06-Mar-10, 22:31
John Little sometimes its better just to say nothing rather than trying to get your point across.:confused

we go through "stages" on here and I think we're brewing nicely for a full blown "shut down" because we're all geting too personal.:(

Boozeburglar
06-Mar-10, 22:43
he's a henpecked 5ft 4in numpty

Is height so important?

Boozeburglar
06-Mar-10, 22:52
Oh and I think everyone already knows you put me on your ignore list, you've said it enough times, so you are the only one not going to read this.

I should imagine Tubs is not the only one who will be oblivious to your post.

Serenity
06-Mar-10, 23:00

I probably shouldn't pick up on this part of the post because I can imagine the reaction but I will. This may used to have been correct but now most of the well educated people move away young. Of course there are the incomers/people coming back who come to work in the more higher up/technical posts for Dounreay etc and the people retiring but most of the well educated LOCAL people have moved away. The people who are left have been made lazy and given a sense of entitlement thanks to the (up until very recently) abundance of quite cushy jobs at Dounreay and BT etc. This does show in the attitude of some of the posters.

Anyway regardless this is a very good post and I wish more people would think like you. It is an open forum, people can say what they wish, take it on board - maybe they have a point - but don't take it to heart. I have probably been harsh to people before but I can give and take. Seems most people on the so called offended bus can only do the giving part.

Was going to good rep you for this but it won't let me.

northener
06-Mar-10, 23:35
Apart from a work related forum, the only other one I post on is a Motorbike forum that has a large and healthy Scottish Section. We post a lot, meet up for rideouts and rallies, take the pish - the usual stuff.

Most of the time everyone rumbles along quite nicely, probably because we all know each other in the real world and can see behind the online 'persona' that some present on the Forum.

However, every now and then, things take a downward spiral, teddies are thrown, dummies spat and balls not given back. Cue mucho complaino about Mods locking/not locking threads, cliques, hidden agendas, the general lack of quality posters compared to back in the Devonian Period, people taking things personally and various other dark and nefarious goings on.

Sound familiar?

'Cabin fever' usually strikes on the bike forum between January and March-ish...give it a few days out in the sun and everything is forgotten.

We'll survive on here, I'm sure.

John Little
06-Mar-10, 23:57
I'm getting quite a few messages from nice people and it's very encouraging.

Don't get me wrong though - I am no fragile flower who wilts away wi a wee bit of caustic. I just don't think the snark is necessary.

One thing is becoming very obvious though. There's quite a few people out there who might say more and post more if they did not get flamed or snarked at.

I hear what you say Cuddlepop, and I thought seriously about saying nothing. After all it's no skin off my nose if some folks want to tear meaty strips off each other on an open community forum in an area where I have not lived for years.

But then if nobody says anything.....

Know what I mean?

As for the mods - I feel for them. They provide this fantastic thing for all to use- they don't seem to be asking anything, though it's the sort of thing I'd pay a sub for- and it gets used as a boxing ring.

northener
07-Mar-10, 00:09
As for the mods - I feel for them. They provide this fantastic thing for all to use- they don't seem to be asking anything, though it's the sort of thing I'd pay a sub for- and it gets used as a boxing ring.

Oooh, don't mention the Mods.:eek:

They're all on Bill Fernies private yacht at the moment cavorting and being lascivious all over the place. Privelege knows no bounds if you are one of the Chosen Ones. They don't do it for free, y'know.

Cant say any more, the built in 'Mod Alert' software is already kicking in.......and uh-oh, someones knocking very loudly on my front door [para]

crayola
07-Mar-10, 00:11
I probably shouldn't pick up on this part of the post because I can imagine the reaction but I will. This may used to have been correct but now most of the well educated people move away young.The only thing I'll pick up on is the implication that most of the well educated young people moving away is a new phenomenon. It was like that back in my day. We wanted to see the world and do new things. We could so we did. The one-in-three with degrees came from elsewhere to build fancy reactors at Dounreay.

I'm not in a position to comment on your other claims.

Sianymo
07-Mar-10, 01:03
abundance of quite cushy jobs at BT

Cough Cough Cough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cushy????????????????????? take it you've never worked there then!

Niall Fernie
07-Mar-10, 08:09
I'm not long back from the recent M10 (Mods and admin conference) and I can say it's been a big success, 15 new mods.

Something has come to mind since though, its the winter and over the years I've noticed that the Wintery months give rise to more frustration and pent up anger on the forum due to the lack of sunlight and time to spend out in the daylight (nice weather). Also, the mad march hares are being mad as always, the bears have not yet come out of hibernation but we have a couple of weeks or so until the next full moon, good times...

sandyr1
07-Mar-10, 09:11
Mr. Little,
An intelligent comment.

fred
07-Mar-10, 12:43
I should imagine Tubs is not the only one who will be oblivious to your post.

Not any more they aint.

wicker8
07-Mar-10, 13:03
good afternoon mr little dont let a few harshwords put you off just brush it off i know i have life is to short

Tugmistress
07-Mar-10, 13:47
I use a pseudonym but i like to think i am the same on here as i am in real life - just because you use a pseudonym doesn't mean to say people don't know who you are - with me it's very easy to work out :lol:

i see a forum as being an online discussion, as discussions in real life go 'off on a tangent' then so do the typed ones, people air their views in defferent ways and because we can't see body language it just makes life a little more interesting on trying to work out what's really what.

Have fun on the boards, life's too short to sit around grumping :)

lasher
07-Mar-10, 14:38

This is what I think.

Thats a fair waffle!!!!

John Little
07-Mar-10, 15:30
LOL! I do like a dry sense of humour!

Gronnuck
07-Mar-10, 17:39
I'm not long back from the recent M10 (Mods and admin conference) and I can say it's been a big success, 15 new mods.

Something has come to mind since though, its the winter and over the years I've noticed that the Wintery months give rise to more frustration and pent up anger on the forum due to the lack of sunlight and time to spend out in the daylight (nice weather). Also, the mad march hares are being mad as always, the bears have not yet come out of hibernation but we have a couple of weeks or so until the next full moon, good times...

In other words people should get out more! ;)

ywindythesecond
07-Mar-10, 18:19
[quote=mike.mckenzie;671644]John, its the internet, people say stuff. Pseudonyms allow people to hide and pretend they're something they're not. Some of the biggest virtual blowhards would be the meekest of people if met in the real world. Its an equivalent of the big, brave man sticking the v's and driving aggressively in his big car when he's a henpecked 5ft 4in numpty.

quote]
I don't have a big car. You must be talking about someone else!

John Little
07-Mar-10, 19:30
He undoubtedly was talking about somebody else.
But he's right ain't he?

If someone is anonymous it's easy to shout names at someone and run crying nyah -nyah.

But as adults we don't do that. Anon or not.

poppett
07-Mar-10, 20:21
People who know you know better, John....People who don`t know you don`t matter.

John Little
07-Mar-10, 20:32
Oh Poppett I fear you may be right.

But wouldn't it be nice if you were not?

Why join a community if one's aim is only to score points? Or slag off strangers?

What does a person gain by being nasty to a complete stranger? Some sort of personal satisfaction or affirmation of their own worth?

For years now our schools have been churning out students who know nothing of grammar because they have never been taught the basics. It was thought not necessary by those in charge of education. Accordingly there are a lot of people with poor spelling, punctuation or grammar around. Milions ov uz.

It's not their fault and it does not decrease their worth as people in any way whatsoever. What goes on in their heads is still worth considering and their opinion is just as valid as mine.

So what profit does anyone get from pointing out that they don't put commas in the right place?

On boards like this it ain't the person or the grammar that is at issue surely? It's the ideas and the act of exchanging them.
All else is commentary.

So we don't know people and it's ok to be nasty to them.
But it should not be.

unicorn
07-Mar-10, 20:36
Is it a form of keeping up with Jones? Or just one- upmanship?
It seems some people do need to belittle others in order to feel like important human beings, sadly :roll:

Whitewater
07-Mar-10, 21:50
John Little, I have read through this thread with interest and you appear to be a fairly well balanced person and have made a few good and interesting points. I only really disagree with you on one issue, and that is the use of pseudonyms. I use one because, long before I ever came onto the org I read an article about a forum in America where a guy appeared at someones front door at 3am with a shot gun ready to shoot the unfortunate poster and his family, just because he had guts to disagree with something he had said. A pseudonym is for your protection, and should not be used as a screen to hide behind when you feel like being nasty. You will find that most of the responsible people who use the org with pseudonyms do not put into print anything which they would not have the guts or be ashamed to say to a persons face. Many of the responsible users get know each other over time and become good friends. However, I will concede that there are many who just use it to be horrible, and the org would be better off without them.

crayola
08-Mar-10, 00:17
What goes on in their heads is still worth considering and their opinion is just as valid as mine.
You'll fit in well here then. Equality of worth of all opinions is a mantra on this forum.

This oft-quoted mantra is also the reason why a number of the best posters left.

John Little
08-Mar-10, 10:50
Now you have sparked my curiousity - not knowing the history of it. If all opinions were equal, why did they leave?

rich
08-Mar-10, 15:53
You are absolutely correct in your remarks about the Org, John.
For my part I have striven mightily to raise the standards of politeness on this site. Oftentimes it has been difficult but I struggle on.
I tell myself somone has to teach these bog trotting rustics how to mind their manners.
I note with interest somebody recently remarked on the Org that our standards of WEB politieness were less than those prevailing in New York City.
I am not quite sure how to separate specific New york sites out of the general soup of URLs but I shall now go hunting for examples.
I'd also like to say It is time you stopped picking on poor witless Lady GaGa. She has a positive attitude to life which is more than can be said for the rest of you.....

rich
08-Mar-10, 16:34
So looking for rude New Yorkers on the Web here are a few. I picked on karoake bars because of the many opportunities for being rude, surly, aggressive, mean spirited and loutish.
Which begs the question - how do Caithness karoakes score on the scale of obnoxiousness?

http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7089230?reviewId=18928281

rich
08-Mar-10, 16:49
I now have the definitive answer why certain places (Inverness for example) are hot beds of rudeness.
It tuns out that rudeness is a disease!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Culture-of-Being-Rude.html

sandyr1
08-Mar-10, 16:54
You are absolutely correct in your remarks about the Org, John.
For my part I have striven mightily to raise the standards of politeness on this site. Oftentimes it has been difficult but I struggle on.
I tell myself somone has to teach these bog trotting rustics how to mind their manners.
I note with interest somebody recently remarked on the Org that our standards of WEB politieness were less than those prevailing in New York City.
I am not quite sure how to separate specific New york sites out of the general soup of URLs but I shall now go hunting for examples.
I'd also like to say It is time you stopped picking on poor witless Lady GaGa. She has a positive attitude to life which is more than can be said for the rest of you.....

Well Mr Rich form the big To........Can anything compare to NYC?
Having been there quite a bit I think even Caithness excells!
BTW...Are you a Kaitnessian??

Crossley89
08-Mar-10, 17:15
I think you got a lil too much time on your hands John, good story to read if ur an insomniac tho. put me right to sleep

Zzzzzz... Zzzzzzz... Zzzzzz......

John Little
08-Mar-10, 18:52
Sleep well Crossley - I'm happy to be of use.

Ash87
08-Mar-10, 23:16
Hey John :)

Dont be put off by any of the harsh comments on here! I would probably post a lot more if I didnt think my comments would be broken down and possibly slated... eek! I usually just hang out in the pets corner :) When threads start to become an argument I just stop reading.. But I love Caithness, and I think this website's great, when Im living away I like to log on every so often for my little fix of home!!

I enjoyed reading ur post... stick around :)

crayola
13-Mar-10, 00:19
Now you have sparked my curiousity - not knowing the history of it. If all opinions were equal, why did they leave?
Because all opinions were deemed equal by mantra.

northener
13-Mar-10, 09:44
Going back to the subject of psuedonyms, I use one simply because it stops the more moronic ones who may know you taking it straight to a personal level when it gets a bit heated. It's nothing new, many reporters used to write under them and many people still write to the papers under them.

Mind you, there's plenty on here that know who I am anyway, so maybe it is a waste of time....

ducati
13-Mar-10, 09:59
Going back to the subject of psuedonyms, I use one simply because it stops the more moronic ones who may know you taking it straight to a personal level when it gets a bit heated. It's nothing new, many reporters used to write under them and many people still write to the papers under them.

Mind you, there's plenty on here that know who I am anyway, so maybe it is a waste of time....

I use mine because I am wanted in all 52 states...and Margate

Or is my name gusseppi ducati?

©Amethyst
13-Mar-10, 10:26
I now have the definitive answer why certain places (Inverness for example) are hot beds of rudeness.
It tuns out that rudeness is a disease!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Culture-of-Being-Rude.html

More Trolling? I've lived in Inverness half my life... I find that there are people in Caithness that can be just as rude as those elsewhere. I'm sorry but the other half of my life was spent in Caithness and I've made my choice of where I want to live out of the two. It's not Caithness...

After all, I had a neighbour try to set fire to my house in Castletown, never had that problem in Merkinch or Kinmylies (neither are considered very good areas).

Just my tuppence worth, which is probably going to get torn to shreds... :roll:

ducati
13-Mar-10, 10:38
More Trolling? I've lived in Inverness half my life... I find that there are people in Caithness that can be just as rude as those elsewhere. I'm sorry but the other half of my life was spent in Caithness and I've made my choice of where I want to live out of the two. It's not Caithness...

After all, I had a neighbour try to set fire to my house in Castletown, never had that problem in Merkinch or Kinmylies (neither are considered very good areas).

Just my tuppence worth, which is probably going to get torn to shreds... :roll:

They do seem to make a habit of setting fire to things in Castletown

©Amethyst
15-Mar-10, 13:04
They do seem to make a habit of setting fire to things in Castletown

Point! lol

John Little
15-Mar-10, 20:23
From somewhere in my vivid imagination I now have a vision of the denizens of Castletown dancing maniacally round a fiery cross chanting unholy things....

What has the sleepy village of Castletown done to deserve this?

Next trip to Caithness I will avoid it.....

ducati
15-Mar-10, 21:48
From somewhere in my vivid imagination I now have a vision of the denizens of Castletown dancing maniacally round a fiery cross chanting unholy things....

A bit more prosaic-burned down the Indian Takeaway.

http://highlandlife.net/news__1/northern_constabulary_news/fire_castletown_caithness

rich
15-Mar-10, 21:59

It's perfectly logical what the Castletowners were doing - they were out there trying to lure ships onto the reefs.

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 22:16
Burning the Wickerman. Next week they're doing the Thursoman...