PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Teen Road Safety Campaign

Claireabelle
06-Mar-10, 16:34
Hi, well as this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself, my name is Claire and I am from Thurso :D

Apologies in advance if this turns out to be a reeeaaaally long post.

Okay, well… I am a student at the moment and during my final year my Uni has agreed to leave me to my own devices and allow me to come back to Caithness and be around all of you lovely people.

Basically with Caithness being such a close community we have all known someone, through family or friendship ties who has needlessly died on the road, and I wanted to do my bit to try (who knows if it will make the slightest difference) to prevent this. I’m not saying that it is all down to young people but as it is easier to help young people install good habits than change the bad habits of adults I have decided to aim this towards 12 – 18 year olds – so if you have a son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin or friend who falls in to that category please keep reading.

From my memory when I was in High School, the people I listened to most, and whose opinions mattered to me where my mates. In fact at 26 little has changed.

I found school talks boring. – Others I am certain found them very useful. But for people like me who would be inclined to space out the window or try to work out how I would forge my mums signature on my late slip - rather than listen to the road safety officer at the front of the hall.

I wanted to do something that would interest young people and get them thinking in their own time with their friends. I’ve noticed that LOADS of young people have mobile phones, and the majority of mobile phones have video cameras now. So I have launched a video competition. There are some really amazing prizes. Driving Lessons for 17 and 18 year olds, and an HD video camera for the 12 – 16 year olds. I haven’t bought second and third prizes for the 12 – 16 category yet – I thought I would leave it to them to suggest ideas – as this competition is for them.

What I am asking them to do is produce road safety videos up to a maximum of 60 seconds – these can be ANYTHING as long as the message is about road safety (car, pedestrian, horse, cycle). They can do their take on stop, look, listen, cross. They can write a song and sing it. They can simply talk to the camera about how a loss has effected them. They can even COPY videos that have previously been made. It can be as simple or complicated as they like. The idea of this campaign is not to find the next Steven Spielberg, it is to get our young people thinking about a subject which is too often overlooked.

Full details can be found at http://www.62clips.co.uk

If you have any questions about the campaign then feel free to ask.

Claire :Razz

Venture
06-Mar-10, 18:27
Welcome to the org Claireabelle. Good luck with your competition.:)

Claireabelle
06-Mar-10, 20:37
Thank you for the welcome Venture,

This is quite a daunting place for a newcomer.

The luck is most appreciated. Some days i really feel i need it. :)

onecalledk
06-Mar-10, 20:53
good luck with your competition, its a brilliant idea and hopefully will help prevent more tragedies with young people.

K

Claireabelle
06-Mar-10, 23:43
Thank you K, :)

Here's hoping that it helps at least one person, we all can but try. And my thinking is... if it could potentially save the life of one person in Caithness, then that in itself would potentially save the heartache of hundreds in the county who would be affected by that one death.

It is horrible, but i have come to almost expect to hear of some such accident at least once a year. I don't want my little girl growing up expecting the same. :(

xx

wicker8
07-Mar-10, 15:38
hi 100thousand welcomes good luck:Razz

Claireabelle
07-Mar-10, 18:42
Thank you Wicker8 :)

and congratulations to your son, you must be really proud. I hope you find him that perfect present.

xx