PDA

View Full Version : PC Problems

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-10, 11:42
So this morning when i went to put on my PC, i turned on the tv and no picture.

Have checked the tv connection and its not the tv or the cable as have tried 2 other cables.

Pulled apart the PC and everything seems to be booting up.

Any guesses? So far im guessing the video card but want a 2nd opinion.

Any help gratefully recieved.

if it turns out to be a big problem think im just gonna start a PC from scratch, have had nothing but problems with this one :(

Niall Fernie
06-Mar-10, 12:22
If you have dual output on the graphics card it may be that windows has swapped your monitors (so try plugging into the other port) or has reverted back to monitor output only and plugging in a monitor will help you check this.

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-10, 16:14
If you have dual output on the graphics card it may be that windows has swapped your monitors (so try plugging into the other port) or has reverted back to monitor output only and plugging in a monitor will help you check this.

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the suggestion but i dont have a dual output on the graphics card.

Got my OH to pull apart the pc again and still cant seem to find any obvious problems. But now the keyboard wont light up, it did the first few times we switched it on, now it comes on and turns off again. :confused

ShelleyCowie
07-Mar-10, 00:43
Ok so i have wasted all options, put it down to the bios battery. So far....iv actually got the pc on now. Reset the bios aswell. Running quite slow. But still i think its down to the battery.

Its weird though, i pulled out the battery earlier today already. I pulled it out again tonight and actually physically pushed it in the wrong way, pulled it out again turned it over to the right way and it worked! :confused

I really dont undestand this ya know!!! Stupid technology!

So where in Thurso can i get a new bios battery - CR 20 32 - lithium

Bobinovich
07-Mar-10, 02:01
Surprisingly I'm all out although I could half-hinch one from a new batch of motherboards I've got lol, but otherwise you should be able to get them from McBeath's jewellers.

Aaldtimer
07-Mar-10, 18:17
Hi peeps, seeing this is a lappy thread I was wondering if I could join in.
A friend has a laptop, 2.5 yrs old, and on switch on she gets a warning message saying:- "your battery needs to be replaced".
I checked on her in-tray an the battery is 100% charged.
She hardly ever uses it in battery mode, nearly always plugged into the mains.
Then after a while this flashes up on the screen:-
QUICKSET

THE AC POWER ADAPTER TYPE CANNOT BE DETERMINED. YOUR SYSTEM WILL OPERATE SLOWER AND THE BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE. PLEASE CONNECT TO A DELL 65W AC ADAPTER OR HIGHR FOR BEST RESULTS.

Any ideas? Should she be worried ?:confused

ShelleyCowie
07-Mar-10, 20:46
Hi peeps, seeing this is a lappy thread I was wondering if I could join in.
A friend has a laptop, 2.5 yrs old, and on switch on she gets a warning message saying:- "your battery needs to be replaced".
I checked on her in-tray an the battery is 100% charged.
She hardly ever uses it in battery mode, nearly always plugged into the mains.
Then after a while this flashes up on the screen:-
QUICKSET

THE AC POWER ADAPTER TYPE CANNOT BE DETERMINED. YOUR SYSTEM WILL OPERATE SLOWER AND THE BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE. PLEASE CONNECT TO A DELL 65W AC ADAPTER OR HIGHR FOR BEST RESULTS.

Any ideas? Should she be worried ?:confused

Im no good with laptops cos mine is a PC lol.

But i do believe that if laptops are as you can say "overcharged" with the mains then it can damage the battery slightly. (correct me if im wrong people)

My OH's laptop (which im using now and i hate laptops) heats up so bad, the fan kicks in fine but the battery still gets so hot and sometimes an error message can show. But again this is because he always has it plugged into mains. Doesnt last at all without it

Maybe bob can help you tho, he is the pro. As i said, i only do PCs lol

Aaldtimer
07-Mar-10, 21:26
Thanks for your thoughts Shelley, might try running the lappy on the battery only and see what happens. :confused

dx100uk
08-Mar-10, 00:29
i would think after 2.5yrs of constant charge the battery is fruked.
and those two errors are common to the battery failing on dells

you might be able to sort it by flattening the battery [by running on it alone without mains] then recharging it then doing the same again.

but if after say 3 cycles it makes no odds , then you need a new one.

as has been advised on here several times
it s alway a good idea to flatten the battery atleast once a month or more if you wish it to last any amount of time - both interns of runnig the lappy without mains, and it terms of the time it lasts in years.

if you do look to replace it

be VERY careful of .co.uk trader websites & traders on ebay...most if not all are hong kong traders that sell batteries that are years out of date and fail quickly.
it costs but buy from either dell or a genuine uk trader.

i always phone traders and check their voices!

dx

dx

Aaldtimer
08-Mar-10, 04:32
Thanks dx, I'll get her to try that. Cheers.:)

devil's sidekick
08-Mar-10, 21:41
it's not a laptop it's her pc her OH has a laptop he uses

devil's sidekick
08-Mar-10, 21:43
oh sorry didnt notice someone else asked about there laptop my mistake lol