PDA

View Full Version : women's rights?

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 11:09
See this has now appeared on BBC (Son in Canada mentioned it).. Is it really that important to change an Anthem?

'Canada has dropped a proposal to change the country's national anthem by making it more gender-inclusive. The government had said it was open to changing a lyric in O Canada - "in all thy sons command" - to the original version, "in thou dost us command".

Opposition Liberals said the proposed change was merely a gimmick that proved the ruling Conservatives were not serious about women's rights.

Public outcry was so strong PM Stephen Harper dropped the idea after two days. "We offered to hear from Canadians on this issue and they have already spoken loud and clear," said Mr Harper's spokesman, Dimitri Soudas.
CONTENTIOUS ANTHEM VERSE
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise, The true north strong and free!

"They overwhelmingly do not want to open the issue. The government will not proceed any further to change our national anthem." The issue was raised after the anthem was played a record 14 times at gold medal ceremonies during the Vancouver Winter Olympics. O Canada replaced God Save the Queen as Canada's national anthem in 1980. It was composed by Calixa Lavallée in 1880 and while the lyrics have changed over the years, their current version is based on a 1908 poem written by Stanley Weir.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/8553162.stm

marwill
06-Mar-10, 11:54
Personally I think these people have nothing else better to do with their time than think up these stupid changes. I would also like to bet that it wasn't a woman who thought up this idea!!:lol:

bluechesse
06-Mar-10, 13:41
Must have been REALLY boring over there at the back of the winter olympics..........

northener
06-Mar-10, 13:53
If I were a woman (which I'm not, although I do have a fascination for cushions, tidying up and chocolate), I'd feel patronised by the fact that someone else has decided that the word 'sons' is somehow going to upset me and make me feel less equal as a member of society.

I'd say only those with delusions of adequacy would waste time tinkering with pointless excercises such as this.:roll:

fred
06-Mar-10, 14:21
I'm all for it, we've had equal rights long enough, wopeople should have equal rights in songs childrengs too, the changes should be made persondatory. In church we should sing persons not hymns and at the end say Apeople not Amen. As decent hupersonbeings we owe it to them.

John Little
06-Mar-10, 14:24
Harriet Harperson would agree with you...;)

marwill
06-Mar-10, 15:05
As a new comer to this forum, but having spent quite a few hours reading through the various topics raised, and their replies, I have come to the conclusion that Fred talks or should I say writes, a load of crap.

northener
06-Mar-10, 15:13
As a new comer to this forum, but having spent quite a few hours reading through the various topics raised, and their replies, I have come to the conclusion that Fred talks or should I say writes, a load of crap.

Whooosh:Razz

And welcome to the Org!

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 15:31

Gosh, that did not take you long!

John Little
06-Mar-10, 15:54
I think Fred was joking...

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 16:06
He/she says "having spent quite a few hours reading through the various topics raised"..
Fred does very occasionally crack a joke, but usually...;)

Boozeburglar
06-Mar-10, 16:18

I cannot accuse you of being rash; but I can compliment you on being incisive.

;)

Gronnuck
06-Mar-10, 16:20
:eek: I'm sure there are more serious issues of inequality that need to be addressed but some jobsworth with little understanding of equality and descrimination will make these silly pronouncements believing they are handing on something of import to the women of the world - or in this case Canada.

fred
06-Mar-10, 16:28
He/she says "having spent quite a few hours reading through the various topics raised"..
Fred does very occasionally crack a joke, but usually...;)

If you have any problems with what I say in other threads you are welcome to put forward your own views there.

What sort of a forum is this where you can't even inject a bit of light humour into a thread without being insulted by the org bullies?

We might have different views on a lot of subjects but at least I can debate the issues without going around the forum saying "berkisman this" or "berkisman that".

marwill
06-Mar-10, 17:14
I am not sure to whom you are replying - is it me or bekisman?:confused

By the way, you cannot spell either, or should that be, you write a load of sarcastic nonesense too?

If you can 'quote' 'debate the issues without going around the forum saying "berkisman this" or "berkisman that". why do you quote this person so many times in your other threads? I do not believe I have mentioned this person in my thread above!

fred
06-Mar-10, 17:26
I am not sure to whom you are replying - is it me or bekisman?:confused

Well now the fact I quoted berkisman might just give you a clue.

By the way, you cannot spell either, or should that be, you write a load of sarcastic nonesense too?

Tough, if you don't like it don't read it, I couldn't give a damn.

If you can 'quote' 'debate the issues without going around the forum saying "berkisman this" or "berkisman that". why do you quote this person so many times in your other threads? I do not believe I have mentioned this person in my thread above!

You haven't quite got the hang of this posting to forums lark yet have you?

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 17:29
If you have any problems with what I say in other threads you are welcome to put forward your own views there.

What sort of a forum is this where you can't even inject a bit of light humour into a thread without being insulted by the org bullies?

We might have different views on a lot of subjects but at least I can debate the issues without going around the forum saying "berkisman this" or "berkisman that".

Come on Fred, if you read it correctly I actually stuck up for you - but you are rather insulting to me here; it's B-E-K-I-S-M-A-N. Or is it a Freudian slip yet again.. sticks and stones..you know..

Of course you can inject humour, please try it, these threads need cheering up - it's been doom and gloom for far too long, it's not a graveyard here you know; lets have some JOY and less of these dismal threads.. Spring is coming!
Seriously though Fred, out of interest I've just looked at the Threads you've started, and looks - in my opinion - very depressing:~(. I hasten to add that it's your right absolutely to start threads on whatever subject you like - but take a look anyway, nothing personal, in spite of calling me BERKisman & BERGSman..
This is 'Caithness' org, supposed to be a general forum, on as far as possible, local things, and in most instances this seems to happen, and encompasses a lot of orgers, but some threads are just a few lefties posting being answered by a few righties.. I'm going to try and desist; right? lighten up (Please) it's not all a big bad wicked world out there...:)

marwill
06-Mar-10, 17:43
I may not have the 'hang of posting' but I seem to have got 'under your skin'!.
But there, we seem to have strayed off the original thread which I believe was 'women's rights'. Till we meet again, Fred, goodnight.;)

fred
06-Mar-10, 18:05
Come on Fred, if you read it correctly I actually stuck up for you - but you are rather insulting to me here; it's B-E-K-I-S-M-A-N. Or is it a Freudian slip yet again.. sticks and stones..you know..

If you read my post I specifically said I didn't call you "berkisman".

Now you post claiming I did.

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 18:37
If you read my post I specifically said I didn't call you "berkisman".

Now you post claiming I did.

You mean this one Fred?: 22nd Feb at 23.21 #44

" See, all the information in the wikipedia quote is easily verifiable.The only reason people like berkisman try to ridicule it is because it makes it too easy for people to show they're talking out of their backsides."

Look I'm not really bothered, maybe a typing error?