PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on being body doner!

Angel
06-Mar-10, 00:52
Saw an advert the other day which has promted me to consider donating any useful parts of my body (in my death) in the hope of saving another persons life.

I am not sure what 'I would not want to donate' rather than what I would!

Also, how is this seen, ethicaly, morally and spiritually... cannot help but feel this may be against 'Gods' will...

Any thoughts would be welcome...

Angel...

Tubthumper
06-Mar-10, 00:55
I've no problem as I will hopefully be finished with it when the time comes.
Some bits will no doubt be a bit worn, others may make it into a museum of remarkable artifacts. Anything I can do for others is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
Seriously though, kidneys, corneas, even heart/ lungs... if you're a goner, why not consider giving someone else a chance? As long as there's enough left for your loved ones to say farewell, what's the difference?

Serenity
06-Mar-10, 00:56
Not sure how tasty I would be to be honest.

But no seriously I am on the organ donor register already.

Dadie
06-Mar-10, 01:02
I would not like for my face or eyes or part of to be donated as they are parts that you could "see" if in an open coffin but anything else that is useful could go as spares!
Its only the soul that goes on anyway and the body is no use in any afterlife anyway .... so why not use what you can...

joxville
06-Mar-10, 02:41
In death, as in life, I'd like to share myself with as many as possible. ;)

David Banks
06-Mar-10, 03:23
I've signed (my driver's license) donating anything that is of any use, because I would be glad to be able to help.
Also, (as recommended on the license instructions), I have informed my next of kin (the bairns) of my position on the subject.
Notwithstanding the signature, I suspect there would be communication with the next of kin in Canada anyway.

I've heard some European countries Assume everybody is a donor UNLESS they indicate otherwise - I think that is going too far!

Metalattakk
06-Mar-10, 03:32
Ewww, I don't want my organs given to some *sick* person!

horseman
06-Mar-10, 04:44
I could not think of anything worse than me being cut up an going beyond the sell by date. Not natural!
Whats mine was given to me by God an my parents, an by the love of God it will perish with me when I do.
Yes even when my kin may be involved! No iff's an buts. Strongly held belief an no asides to it.

bullielove
06-Mar-10, 08:04
I could not think of anything worse than me being cut up an going beyond the sell by date. Not natural!
Whats mine was given to me by God an my parents, an by the love of God it will perish with me when I do.
Yes even when my kin may be involved! No iff's an buts. Strongly held belief an no asides to it.

just out of genuine interest and not intended to challenge your belief - does that mean if you required a transplant of some kind to save your life, would you turn that down too?

My personal view is that they can take any bit of me that might be worth reusing... and the rest can go in the fire as I dont think ill be needing it

EDDIE
06-Mar-10, 08:24
Saw an advert the other day which has promted me to consider donating any useful parts of my body (in my death) in the hope of saving another persons life.

Also, how is this seen, ethicaly, morally and spiritually... cannot help but feel this may be against 'Gods' will...

Angel...

The way i see it if you die your body parts are no use to you so you might as well give someone else the chance to live.
But ethicaly,morally or spirtitually when you die what better way to leave this way of life by doing one last good deed and giving someone else the chance to live i think god would give you a pat in the back for that.
And i bet its shocking numbers on how many people die every day and wont donate if everyone donated there wouldnt be a waiting list.
You can register your request to be put on your driving licence or go online to the nhs and register.
I think in this day in age carry card only is not enough you just lose it its better registering online

ducati
06-Mar-10, 08:59
The way i see it if you die your body parts are no use to you so you might as well give someone else the chance to live.
But ethicaly,morally or spirtitually when you die what better way to leave this way of life by doing one last good deed and giving someone else the chance to live i think god would give you a pat in the back for that.
And i bet its shocking numbers on how many people die every day and wont donate if everyone donated there wouldnt be a waiting list.
You can register your request to be put on your driving licence or go online to the nhs and register.
I think in this day in age carry card only is not enough you just lose it its better registering online

I agree, and tell as many people as possible too to avoid any doubt when the question is asked of your relatives.

Personally am registered, although I fully intend every part to be completely worn out and knackered as I skid sideways into the grave screaming holy .... what a ride!

johnlc
06-Mar-10, 09:25
Already a doner,the only thing am keeping is my eyes xxx

suth13
06-Mar-10, 10:05
already a registered donar ,hopefully i wont need them after ive gone.

wickscorrie
06-Mar-10, 10:08
i would rather that we had an opt out system, with the appropriate advertising to tell you this is the system in place, then there maybe enough parts to help those who wouldna mind having your spare bits

my oh doesna agree with it but considering your either toasted or left to rot when you do die, what difference?
ultimate recycling eh!

i'm a registered donor

(an aside wonder if the bible was updated, what it would contain now!)

Leanne
06-Mar-10, 10:12
I'm registered for everything but my liver. I look after myself pretty well but don't want to feel guilty for abusing my liver and it being no good for anyone else ;)

Stefan
06-Mar-10, 10:12
If I expect to have my own life saved with a transplant then I need to be prepared to save others.
Strongly believe in that and have been on the register since I was 18.

More information here:
http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp

wicker8
06-Mar-10, 13:15
i am also a donor

Fluff
06-Mar-10, 14:59
I want everything from by body to be recycled! Bones, skin, eyes, organs, the lot!
I give blood regularly, if I needed a transplant, I would hope to get it.

Too many people are happy to take it if needed, but not give. What if it was your spouse, child, sibling etc..

Commore
06-Mar-10, 15:21

Angel...

My thoughts are that if an organ can save a life, why the devil not, after all it's of little use to you/me after we've gone. I signed up anyway.

dafi
06-Mar-10, 17:25
I think i might leave my entire body to medical science and that way avoid the extortionate cost of a funeral.!!

Leanne
06-Mar-10, 17:45
I think i might leave my entire body to medical science and that way avoid the extortionate cost of a funeral.!!

What a good idea...

Commore
06-Mar-10, 17:57
What a good idea...

Hmph, don't think they would particularly want my entire body, however, it is a good idea.:)

BishBashBosh
06-Mar-10, 18:03
if your died then ur not gona need your remains or care where it goes or wats happening to it so i say yeah organ donation is great and means that even in death u can be a hero!!

Anji
06-Mar-10, 18:49
I've told my nearest and dearest that when I go, any bits of me that I haven't worn out can be used to save another life.

jock leith
06-Mar-10, 23:35
Just because you sign a card or have your driving licence endorsed to say that you want your organs to be used for transplants etc,this means nothing.When you die your body becomes the property of your next of kin or if you have no family the main beneficiary named in your will.
So make your wishes known so that when the time comes and the hospital asks about donation,your wishes will be followed.

Jock

~~Tides~~
07-Mar-10, 02:32
Just because you sign a card or have your driving licence endorsed to say that you want your organs to be used for transplants etc,this means nothing.When you die your body becomes the property of your next of kin or if you have no family the main beneficiary named in your will.
So make your wishes known so that when the time comes and the hospital asks about donation,your wishes will be followed.

Jock

No it doesn't. Nobody can own your body. It doesn't pass on to anyone else. For a thing to be 'property', it must be external to the human body for one thing.

Vistravi
07-Mar-10, 02:40
I'll be done with it then so the're welcome to whatever bits they need for someone. I quite like the idea of saving a life in death ;)

horseman
07-Mar-10, 04:02
bullielove-don't go throwing curves like that at me! I have cherished beliefs an hold strongly to them,so would I let myself benefit from some one elses munificence, probably yes. Sounds a bit poxy even to me-but if I was in need an they were willing--it would be their loss an my gain. But I could not do the same for them:( I feel at a loss here somehow, but am unable to explain it better.

ducati
07-Mar-10, 09:08
Already a doner,the only thing am keeping is my eyes xxx

That's slightly strange, What are you going to do in the afterlife-play marbles? :eek:

The Drunken Duck
07-Mar-10, 09:37
I have it in my will that I want my body to go to Med Science. My personal view is that the body is just a shell and once you die it has served its purpose. I want them to unravel the mystery of why as hair recedes of a mans head it seems to increase the growth in the nose and ears.

pauline79
07-Mar-10, 10:55
Have just updated mine and husbands details on donar website, organs are no good to us when were gone!

The Angel Of Death
07-Mar-10, 12:30
Take everything but the eyes there the gateway to the soul the rest if you can get any use out of them fill your boots

Raises an interesting question though if your lucky enough to get a ticket upstairs if you donate say a kidney lung and heart would those travel with you or would you be without them cause they stayed behind ?

Its the same as loosing a limb would it travel ahead of you and wait there for you just mowping around on its own doing what ever a spare limb does waiting for the rest of you to arrive ?

Vistravi
07-Mar-10, 19:14
Take everything but the eyes there the gateway to the soul the rest if you can get any use out of them fill your boots

Raises an interesting question though if your lucky enough to get a ticket upstairs if you donate say a kidney lung and heart would those travel with you or would you be without them cause they stayed behind ?

Its the same as loosing a limb would it travel ahead of you and wait there for you just mowping around on its own doing what ever a spare limb does waiting for the rest of you to arrive ?

I'm not religious in anyway but i've always thought that in death if you were going to go anywhere then you're body stays behind and your soul goes to its destination.

I can't fit myself into any religion at all and the only one that comes close is humanism but then i believe that some people's spirit can stay on earth while others go to a other place. I only believe this as i have sensed many spirits. Many of spirits choose how they come back and what they look like. As an example a lassie who lived in a hotel when it was a house fell on the stairs and hurt her leg and could not walk for the rest of her life. She did not die in the house but yet her spirit chooses to remain there as she was before her accident.

Bookworm
07-Mar-10, 20:11
Hi, I am on the organ donor list and quite happy for whatever spare parts to be used as needed.

I'm basically of the opinion that the body is just a shell of who you are and there's no point on it going to waste if it could be used to benefit someone else.

Hey, its the ultimate in re-cycling.

onecalledk
07-Mar-10, 20:15

I didnt like the idea of being "cut up" but now realise that as we are spirit dwelling within a physical body then when we leave this lifetime we would have no further use for said body. So now I would be happy to donate any parts that are needed.

In response to whether your soul would have all its parts? I firmly believe spirit in a human body takes human form, when you are spirit you would not have human form so it wouldnt matter which bits of the physical body were missing :D

K

Hogfather
08-Mar-10, 14:41
They can have any of my parts that still work when I'm gone! Been registered since I passed my driving test (so long ago that I had to watch out for the mannie walking in front with the flag :Razz). I am in favour of an 'opt out' system - folk who have strong beliefs that mean they don't want to donate for whatever reason, are likely to be sufficiently motivated to register, whereas a fair number of people who are generally in favour of donating, never get round to signing up (we all think 'it'll never happen to us', don't we, and it's too late AFTER you've been involved in an accident or whatever). Also, even if you are signed up with the current system, they still have to ask your next of kin AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), and my sobbing relatives could probably do without that if it comes to it - I guess if you are in the position of being a surviving relative, even if you know that the deceased wanted to donate, you might not want to have them 'cut up' while you are struggling to come to terms with your bereavement?

JimH
08-Mar-10, 17:00

That is what I have done. It won't be any use to me, and I see no gain in having to pay to get rid of me.
As to the other, my views on religion are well documented in other posts.

Fluff
09-Mar-10, 15:43
Ah I'm so gutted. Went to give blood today and my iron is too low again. Not allowed to give blood for a year :(

Alan16
09-Mar-10, 15:53
I'm on the donor list, and they can have whatever parts of me that they can use. I imagine the wont want my lungs, and after the weekend maybe not my liver, but whatever they can salvage I'd rather went to saving a life than rot in the ground. I do not believe in God or an afterlife or any such stuff, so for me there is no real reason not to be a donor.

Loraine
09-Mar-10, 19:12
I want them to unravel the mystery of why as hair recedes of a mans head it seems to increase the growth in the nose and ears.

So true!! Surely transplanting the said unwanted hair back on to head would be best?!! :eek:

Leanne
09-Mar-10, 19:33
Ah I'm so gutted. Went to give blood today and my iron is too low again. Not allowed to give blood for a year :(

I was OK but they couldn't actually get any blood off me. They got enough to do the tests but not enough for a recipient :(

ducati
09-Mar-10, 21:41
I wonder if there are any stories of serial transplants of organs.

You know, if you give someone your liver (after a long and happy life) and they walk under a bus before they have finished with it, could it have been transplanted into someone else?

You would presume the recipient of a transplant would be a registered doner. :D

Vistravi
09-Mar-10, 23:59
I was OK but they couldn't actually get any blood off me. They got enough to do the tests but not enough for a recipient :(

I used to give blood til i wasn't allowed due to my ear peircing, my two tattoos and now because i'm pregnant. I never had a problem with blood being taken from me untill i fell pregnant. Now it truly is a job and a half to get a vein to get blood for all the tests the midwife needs to do. :eek: I haven't been bruised when giving blood for so long now that its weird being bruised at everytime they try to get enough out of me. The last one was quite horrific but then the midwife wasn't exactly being gentle.

joxville
10-Mar-10, 01:11
Ah I'm so gutted. Went to give blood today and my iron is too low again.

Try sitting it on a high shelf. :)

< hat,coat, door>

Angel
13-Mar-10, 22:41
When ones life expires the concience dies too. This concience/life is the spirit/soul and goes on to another place/level/plane.

The general feeling is that the body is just a living device that the concience controls. Therefore when the device brakes down/packs in, it can be used as spare parts to enable othe devices to continue to (give life) carry other conciences.

Angel...

woofit
13-Mar-10, 23:40
Am I the only one to have read the title of this thread, ' Thoughts on being body doner!'....and for this to conjure up thoughts of my body parts to be used in a kebab?! Hehe...sorry...it's probably just me. On a personal note, I would agree to my body parts to be used in a donor situation but I would not leave my body to medical science. (I have been to Uni, alongside medical students and heard their stories).

Having said that, the recent evidence which suggests that patients diagnosed in a 'permanent vegetative state' are, in fact, able to understand and respond to questioning, raises many ethical concerns with regards to these issues. It's all a bit of a minefield really...am just glad I don't have to make these decisions ;-/ and hope I'm never trapped in a body which prevents me from making an informed decision.

dafi
13-Mar-10, 23:43
You need to make a living will then woofit.

ducati
14-Mar-10, 05:26
When ones life expires the concience dies too. This concience/life is the spirit/soul and goes on to another place/level/plane.

The general feeling is that the body is just a living device that the concience controls. Therefore when the device brakes down/packs in, it can be used as spare parts to enable othe devices to continue to (give life) carry other conciences.

Angel...

Well, you should know :D