PDA

View Full Version : Anything anyone can recomend?

Vistravi
06-Mar-10, 00:39
I've always had issue with dry skin which if i let get too dry leads to ecesma(sp). I've had really dry skin throuhgout the pregnancy but its getting alot worse. I've been using a moistorising shower gel which seems to help a little but there are patches on my legs and arms that are getting worse. I use shea body butter from body shop as it used to work wonders for preventing my ecesma(sp) returning. Lately it just isn't working. E45 lotion and cream stopped working some time ago as well.

I'm in the middle of changing doctors so have to wait a week or so yet to see a doctor about it and see what she can prescripe(sp) for it to help. Anything anyone can recomend?

Tubthumper
06-Mar-10, 00:59
A daft question as you're gaining matrimonial weight at the moment, but is your excema worse when you're stressed, depressed or at any particular time of year?

poppett
06-Mar-10, 01:17
Dove make a body butter which agrees with OH`s eczena on a daily basis. When it is bad he used Elocon ointment on the scarred skin, let it soak in for ten minutes then whole body done with Epaderm.......huge tub of the stuff.... done at bedtime in the morning it washes off like soap in the shower, then back to the dove for daytime use.

sweetpea
06-Mar-10, 01:22
After you give birth your skin will be brand new!

Dadie
06-Mar-10, 01:29
No... it doesnt work that way...
My skin was at the worst it has been for ages... and been battling with it for 9 weeks now without resorting to steroid creams now....
I have since found out the alcohol hand gel is making things worse... so avoiding that now!
But I agree hormones have a lot to do with things!

alanatkie
06-Mar-10, 01:38
My Mum has psoriasis & over the years has tried most creams inc. E45 which use to work for her, she now uses dead sea cream.

Anfield
06-Mar-10, 02:01
Try marshmallow paste, if you can get hold of it

bullielove
06-Mar-10, 08:08
Have you tried aqueous creme? Thats what my daughter uses every day to keep her excema at bay. It starts to flare up if she stops it

John Little
06-Mar-10, 08:31
Have a warm bath instead of a shower, get some Oilatum from Boots and put it in the water - that should help.

bluechesse
06-Mar-10, 09:04
I've tried all sorts for years, loads of different creams abd ointments, and I can honestly say that one of the best is Aquaous Cream BP, big tub over the counter in boots for 2 or 3 quid. I find it as good if not better than anything I've had on prescription, and if you pay for your prescription ite cheaper too!

Diprobase cream is good to, but you need to get that from your Doc.

Sage
06-Mar-10, 09:38
hun go and see your pharmacist, there are a wide variety of things you can use and if you have a word with him/her they'll be able to advise. Also because you're pregnant you may be able to get it on the minor ailments scheme which means you wont have to pay for it :D

(ps my hubby's a pharmacist so I knoooow these things ;) )

Stefan
06-Mar-10, 09:58
I strongly believe in natural stuff rather than chemicals, has always helped me loads. Starkies Beeswax Cream seemed to be best so far.

Unlike other beeswax creams it's smooth and soaks into your skin without leaving your skin greasy. Waterproof too, so will act as a barrier. Great stuff.

It's marketed as hand and foot cream but we have used it on pretty much every part of the body in our family and has always worked extremely well.

http://www.starkiesbeeswaxcreams.com (http://www.starkiesbeeswaxcreams.com/)

Worth every penny.

Read the testimonials first if you have any doubts.

telfordstar
06-Mar-10, 11:08
Johnstones do a fab creme for dry skin its in a green bottle in the baby toiletries isle in tesco baby naturals its called. My last baby was well overdue so after he was born he suffered really bad with dry skin, equeous and e45 didnt help at all but this johnstones creme worked brilliant and me and hubby use it ourselves.

BRIE
06-Mar-10, 11:13
olive or grapeseed oil is brilliant for the worst areas, wouldnt use it all over as it doesnt smell to good!:lol:
Hemp cream is also very good.

Vistravi
06-Mar-10, 11:53
I've tried all sorts for years, loads of different creams abd ointments, and I can honestly say that one of the best is Aquaous Cream BP, big tub over the counter in boots for 2 or 3 quid. I find it as good if not better than anything I've had on prescription, and if you pay for your prescription ite cheaper too!

Diprobase cream is good to, but you need to get that from your Doc.

Have you tried aqueous creme? Thats what my daughter uses every day to keep her excema at bay. It starts to flare up if she stops it

I've heard that these two creams are good. Think i will try the aquaous cream and speak to my doctor when i can about diprobase.

No... it doesnt work that way...
My skin was at the worst it has been for ages... and been battling with it for 9 weeks now without resorting to steroid creams now....
I have since found out the alcohol hand gel is making things worse... so avoiding that now!
But I agree hormones have a lot to do with things!

Aye i know. i hate using the alcohol gel when i attend my parentcraft classes at them moment or when in the hopsital for my scans. Aye they kill germs and bacteria that would make a vulnerable person in hopsital ill but do you really need to do it when you enter a ward and when you leave? Seems a bit excessive unless it is to prevent you taking anything home with you. I've also heard that the hospital insist that anyone visiting you and your new baby in hopsital has to wash their hands before handling your baby. Now that is truly excessive after the alcohol hand gel.

I once had it so bad on my hands that i had to use steriod creams. Don't want to go down that road if i can help it. Rather have natural ways to keep it under control.

A daft question as you're gaining matrimonial weight at the moment, but is your excema worse when you're stressed, depressed or at any particular time of year?

It gets harder to control and keep just to dry skin when i am stressed or during winter when its freezing. Also if i am wearing anything that makes me overheat like a pair of boots did once.

I'm juts very glad i won't be pregnant over the summer ;) I depise being hot and sticky and pratically live in the shower or water during summer.

Vistravi
06-Mar-10, 11:56
Johnstones do a fab creme for dry skin its in a green bottle in the baby toiletries isle in tesco baby naturals its called. My last baby was well overdue so after he was born he suffered really bad with dry skin, equeous and e45 didnt help at all but this johnstones creme worked brilliant and me and hubby use it ourselves.

In my family you either have excema or asthma and if you're very lucky neither. I had asthma as a child but then it went away and then i started with excema. My youngest brother had really bad excema as a child but it seems to get better as he gets older.

i'll defintly use the cream you have recommended if my baby has excema or just try it on myself too. Anything that helps keep it under control and not itchy.

wicker8
06-Mar-10, 13:14
hi have you heard of liz earle she has a web site or sometimes see does a hour on qvc its www.liz earle naturalbeauty products .uk hope this helps they also say sanex shower wash is good:Razz

Liz
06-Mar-10, 13:51
hi have you heard of liz earle she has a web site or sometimes see does a hour on qvc its www.liz (http://www.liz) earle naturalbeauty products .uk hope this helps they also say sanex shower wash is good:Razz

I love Liz Earle products.

Although I don't have dry skin Liz Earle herself does and she is also prone to eczema so her body cream may help you Vistravi.
You can contact her staff for advice through her website.

toodiemac
06-Mar-10, 15:17
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254715/Eczema-cream-making-skin-worse.html

Quite an interesting article here about aqueous cream, saying that it shouldn't be used as a moisturiser as it is basically a detergent. Seems it can make skin conditions worse if it isn't washed off, but that most doctors don't realise this.

Why not try pure coconut oil? It's fantastic for the skin (and hair), cheap to buy and totally natural. It's great used in the diet as well actually. It's perfect for using on babies too, much better that the products like Johnsons etc which are just basically full of nasty chemicals.

Coconut oil is also great to use as a pre-wash hair conditioner because it's the only natural oil which can actually penetrate the hair shaft, it's a lovely all-over body moisturiser and great for soothing sunburn. I sound like I have shares in the stuff - I don't, but it's just a brilliant all rounder, very healing and I wouldn't be without it in the house.

Commore
06-Mar-10, 15:19
I've always had issue with dry skin which if i let get too dry leads to ecesma(sp). I've had really dry skin throuhgout the pregnancy but its getting alot worse. I've been using a moistorising shower gel which seems to help a little but there are patches on my legs and arms that are getting worse. I use shea body butter from body shop as it used to work wonders for preventing my ecesma(sp) returning. Lately it just isn't working. E45 lotion and cream stopped working some time ago as well.

I'm in the middle of changing doctors so have to wait a week or so yet to see a doctor about it and see what she can prescripe(sp) for it to help. Anything anyone can recomend?

Only the best will do http://www.seaweedskinfoods.co.uk/
her skin creams are amazing!

Vistravi
06-Mar-10, 15:42
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254715/Eczema-cream-making-skin-worse.html

Quite an interesting article here about aqueous cream, saying that it shouldn't be used as a moisturiser as it is basically a detergent. Seems it can make skin conditions worse if it isn't washed off, but that most doctors don't realise this.

Why not try pure coconut oil? It's fantastic for the skin (and hair), cheap to buy and totally natural. It's great used in the diet as well actually. It's perfect for using on babies too, much better that the products like Johnsons etc which are just basically full of nasty chemicals.

Coconut oil is also great to use as a pre-wash hair conditioner because it's the only natural oil which can actually penetrate the hair shaft, it's a lovely all-over body moisturiser and great for soothing sunburn. I sound like I have shares in the stuff - I don't, but it's just a brilliant all rounder, very healing and I wouldn't be without it in the house.

Thanks for the link. It made for interesting reading. I never knew that about aqueous cream. I'm certanly not going to ever use it as a moistoriser now on me or my baby.

One of my friends uses epiderm on her wee lad for his dry skin. i think that could be a good bet rather than aqueous cream to put on the bad patches.

Vistravi
06-Mar-10, 15:44
I love Liz Earle products.

Although I don't have dry skin Liz Earle herself does and she is also prone to eczema so her body cream may help you Vistravi.
You can contact her staff for advice through her website.

Only the best will do http://www.seaweedskinfoods.co.uk/
her skin creams are amazing!

Thank you both. I shall have a look at the sites as i think having a better and natural body cream will hopefully do the job.

Ricanna
06-Mar-10, 19:44
I will second the Starkies Beeswax cream. You will never get a better cream for putting on and it just disappears. Very good for 'rents' which appear in the skin during a hard winter. A big tub, while not cheap, lasts for ages as you don't need much per application

cuddlepop
06-Mar-10, 22:34
This is a long shot but would you consider giving anti histamines a try if all topical creams dont seem to help.

Hope you find a solution soon as I know how irritating dry skin can be.
Oh threatens me with a sand paper rub down if I wont stop scatching.:(

Rictina
06-Mar-10, 22:43
Have you tried Aveeno oil ?

They do a full range of creams, lotions, body wash, you can buy it from Boots, but I believe its available on prescription so maybe your GP will prescribe it to you.

Here's a link for you ;

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aveeno-oil_1_4247.html

kimmie
06-Mar-10, 22:52
All these creams and oils will help. except anything that has witch hazel or t tree, these are astringents.
Before I became a small holder, i was a make-up artist and a skin consultant.

The best way or any dry skin....and i used to have eczeme before I did this job as my profession....is to use a gentle exfoliator 3 times a week, and moisturise every day, if you have it very bad, then exfoliate 4 times a week, but no more.
What you are doing by doing this is, taking off the dead dry skin...there is no point in moisturising dead skin as that will not help in the long term, then you wash off the exfoliator(do not use soap...this too can be an astringent and dry the skin)....pat your skin dry....do NOT rub, and then apply the moisture cream...i would recomend anything that contains Aloe Vera, this has natural coolants in...so will help to cool the skin.
Dont expect immediate results...it will take a couple of weeks or so before you see results...but you will feel and see them :)

Btw...my eczeme was in my scalp and across my face ...not anymore though :D

horseman
06-Mar-10, 23:51
Try Diprobase cream emollient-we swear by it, bestest skin cream around. I had fairly bad sunburn last week,in Florida, an one application sorted it out:) At 15sovs for a 500g tub it's not the cheapest,comes from the doc. or the chemist,an it's that good that we took it on holiday with us.

Mustang
07-Mar-10, 13:07
I too have dry skin that progresses to exema, The thing that really helps my skin is oatmeal. Put a couple of handfulls of oatmeal in a foot of old tights and throw it in the bath, It makes the water white and creamy and really softened the dry irritated areas. Its natural too.

kimmie
07-Mar-10, 21:48
the one thing you need to ask your self.... do you just want rid of it for it to come back? or do you want it to go completely?

Most people who use creams (of any sort) will find one that works for them...but they will always get it back...
Find a gentle exfoliator and use as i said above till it goes then drop down to twice a week...followed by the cream of your choice....and it wont come back

I HAD eczema....but NOT any more
People who use just creams...still HAVE it and it comes and goes.

kevinmiller
07-Mar-10, 21:56
have you tried "norweigen formula" costs a few quid but i swear by it....good luck.

Fluff
07-Mar-10, 22:02
Lots of suggestions! I have had exma in the past, not not for a while. I have no idea if they are any good, but what about Bio-oil and/or palmers shea butter? They are both aimed at pregnant women (esp the stretch marks)
I'd also look at natural products. Lush are very good for bath products, but the oatmeal suggestion is a brillant one.

Personally I use soap and glory body exfoliator and body butter. (I get very dry skin which leads to my exma coming back) but these can be pricy.
Good luck though

Whitewater
07-Mar-10, 22:03
I once read an article about vinegar and its healing properties. One of the uses was for skin disorders such as eczema. I can't remember the detail now, but it was a mixture of cider vinegar and honey, this was then added to you bath water and you let yourself soak in it for half an hour or so. I guess there may be something in it as many orgers have suggestedd the use of beeswax in this thread. Sorry I don't have more detail regarding the quantities to be used, but you can perhaps google it.