PDA

View Full Version : Need help with suggestions for fireplace

Liz
05-Mar-10, 23:15
We got electric heating installed which is great but haven't been able to find an electric fire which is quiet enough for my radar lugs!:roll: I have tinnitus and don't think that helps.

So we have decided to give up on a fire and now need something to sit on the fireplace which will look nice but would also like it to be cosy when the lights are off. So have thought about a big floral display with led lights in amongst it?
We do have some LED candles already which are set to red and these are placed all around the fireplace which does give off a nice cosy light but aren't enough on their own.

So would really appreciate some thoughts on what we can do?

Thanks!

Dadie
06-Mar-10, 00:15
I know you want flowers and LEDs but what about a fire screen with tea light holders in it, you could light the candles for a cozy glow and scented ones would be good!
I saw a good one in the shop near y not bar ... cant remember the name off hand .... serindipity???

Liz
06-Mar-10, 00:19
Sounds lovely Dadie but unfortunately I can't use real candles due to asthma.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dadie
06-Mar-10, 00:29
what about putting your "fake" tealights in a screen as before...
saw a nice one sort of copppery coloured with leaves and lots of candle holders in it (I was coveting it for a while then realised I have nowhere for it)...... or a twig/log display in the grate with fairylights dotted around it?

upolian
06-Mar-10, 09:44
Sounds like a cosy place to be,stick the kettle on ill be over to give you ideas[lol]

How about some laser disco lights and surround sound:lol:

Led lights sound like a nice idea...my creative flare is lacking this morning due to excessive alcohol i will have a think....maybe try google for some images?

Liz
06-Mar-10, 13:36
what about putting your "fake" tealights in a screen as before...
saw a nice one sort of copppery coloured with leaves and lots of candle holders in it (I was coveting it for a while then realised I have nowhere for it)...... or a twig/log display in the grate with fairylights dotted around it?
Oh yes I never thought of that! Did you see the copper coloured candleholder in SerendipityI don't actually have a grate as our fireplace was taken out. We have a 'fake' fire surround. Some sort of lights would be ideal.

Sounds like a cosy place to be,stick the kettle on ill be over to give you ideas[lol]

How about some laser disco lights and surround sound:lol:

Led lights sound like a nice idea...my creative flare is lacking this morning due to excessive alcohol i will have a think....maybe try google for some images?

Hee hee. I will wait until your creative flare comes back! I want a fireplace not a disco thanks!:lol:

I saw a DVD with just a real fire showing on it. Hmmmmm could I get a little TV fitted in behind the fire surround?

poppett
06-Mar-10, 13:53
The hardware and lighting shop opposite the station in Thurso should give you some options. Staff there are very helpful and they have a range of displays and also additional items in catalogues.

Liz
06-Mar-10, 14:09
Thanks Poppett.:D

S&LHEN
06-Mar-10, 15:17
i think lava lamps in various colours are gorgeous and relaxing also I bought dragon lamps with fibre optic wings they are gorgeous too.

Liz
06-Mar-10, 15:19
I love lava lamps as well S&LHEN but don't think they would look nice instead of a fire?
Fibre optics are nice and relaxing as well.:D

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-10, 20:21
What i would like if i was in that situation was some wooden logs, the good thick type. Get some fairy lights and wrap them around the logs. Not too much but enough to give off a nice relaxing glow.

Then get some of the standing sets that you can get in homebase, the twig style things that have the wee lights in them too if you have anywhere to sit them beside.

Also as i think Dadie suggested you get the candle holders that dont actually have candles but just a battery and switch them on and they glow nicely in the holder. :)

Liz
06-Mar-10, 20:30
Your idea sounds really good as well Shelley. I really like the twig lights but they are too big for my fireplace.

I am actually trying to persevere with the 'burring' noise coming from the fire to see whether I can get used to it.

I have done some research on t'internet and it looks like I have something called hyperacusis. This can be linked with tinnitus and I have also had many years of ear problems.

I am going to see whether I can get an hypnosis CD to help with this.

wkgeorge
06-Mar-10, 22:48
Liz
Dont think you have anything wrong wih your ears, certain electrc fires are noisier than others, (been though this befoe) but I think all electric fires have an element of noise from them.

Liz
06-Mar-10, 23:37
Yes wkgeorge you are right and we have discussed this before.

However, I got another fire which is a lot quieter but the low burring still bothers me. Mind you it's not just the fire but the fridge, freezer etc can really get to me depending on how stressed or unwell I feel.:confused

I think I may have come up with a solution to the fire 'problem' though. I put some red led candles in amongst the coals of the fire tonight and it looks lovely and this along with the other candles around the fire is really cosy.
I am going to get a string of red led lights and put them through the coals of the fire to see what this is like.

Thanks everyone else for your great suggestions. If I had an actual fireplace your ideas would be great!