PDA

View Full Version : How do you react to pessimism?

Errogie
05-Mar-10, 08:50
Probably not unrelated to the thread on empathy I often find myself coming to an abrupt stop against the brick wall of a doom and gloom merchant and usually ricochet of in an entirely opposite direction. Sometimes it like encountering a religious persuasion called "Pessimisiterianism" with apologies to those who are happy in their belief systems.

So yesterday I met an old neighbour and of course the subject of weather and climate came up. His line was Ah, but the cold and snow are not over yet, next is the lambing snow followed by the Cuckoo Storms not to mention the May Gobs and that should take us into June!

And to continue what had started of as quite a nice day apart from a mid afternoon funeral the next person I bumped into embarked upon a litany of health woes related to growing old but his wife had the superb put down which is now stored in my defence arsenal. "If you think your glass is half empty get a smaller glass!"

Apart from dipping into the lighter moments on the ORG how does everyone else handle pessimists? Have a great day out there I'm going to, even with the prospect of another funeral on Monday!

Vistravi
05-Mar-10, 12:57
I like to think of at least one good thing about everything to make it seem not so bad. As an example on my last day off in which my partner nad i planned to spend the day together as we're running out of days were its just us, he called into work. He ended up doing a 13 hour shift. I just thought Ah well he's making more money and i have no distractions to stop me from getting all the jobs and phone calls i had to make over the last few days done ;)

I find thinking of a good thing about everything helps to keep a postive attitude to life.

fred
05-Mar-10, 13:01
I like to borrow money from pessimists.

They don't expect you to pay them back.

ducati
05-Mar-10, 13:19
I don't know about pessimism, but I avoid negative people like the plague. :roll:

daddycool
05-Mar-10, 13:22
I always try to think positive, if I didn't then life would be much harder and I probably would have had a nervous breakdown by now. Even in the most dire of circumstances or after suffering trajedy I can usually think of some positive outcomes or recognise that there are always people much worse off.

We are a loving family, we have a roof over our heads, adequate clothing and food on the table - anything else is a bonus.

Anfield
05-Mar-10, 13:27
I don't know about pessimism, but I avoid negative people like the plague. :roll:

So why are you on Org?

wicker8
05-Mar-10, 13:37
i always think positive never negative what ever live throws at you still think positive:Razz

Aaldtimer
05-Mar-10, 15:25
Pessimists get more surprises!;)

cuddlepop
05-Mar-10, 15:28
They tend to make my mood change so Iavoid the "doom and gloom" brigade when ever I can.:)

Some people I've found seem to enjoy being pessimistic.:roll:

Amy-Winehouse
05-Mar-10, 15:38
I am normally a very postive person try to find some postive in even the worst senarios but today im a pessimist im afraid !!!

Having a hard day and finding it hard to b postive today so maybe tomorrow i will b back to my postive self we hope lol:D

I do think that if your always negative it doesnt get you anywhere but everyone has days where they cant help but be a pessimist :confused

Bazeye
05-Mar-10, 19:37
I like them. they make me feel good.

Fluff
05-Mar-10, 22:11
I find negative and pessimistc people very frustrating, I think mainly because I am quite a positive person.
We do have one person at work who is constantly negative towards everything. She has not had an easy couple of years but everything is negative, eps when she does not get her own way!

bluechesse
06-Mar-10, 13:50
I recon the mistake your all making is thinking that pessimistic people are all miserable in some way. BUT........

Pesimistic people always expect the very worst, so when anything other than the very worst occurs, its a really nice surprise! And, since the outcome of a lot of situations is often not the worst outcome, its a really nice bonus when something other than the worst happens!

So, you see, pessimistic people are actually much happier, on account of the amount of nice surprises they get on a daily basis! And optimists are more often disapointed, and so in actual fact, more miserable!! I cant wait for my next nice surprise. Oh, hang on, that probably wont happen.......[lol]

Miss Dizzy
11-Mar-10, 17:42
If I get talking to a pessimist, I usually become extra cheery and chirpy - this will either improve their mood or else hack them off. Either way all good fun!:Razz

northener
11-Mar-10, 18:11
I don't see the point in discussing pessimism, it'll all just go wrong, same as it always does.

Commore
11-Mar-10, 19:08
So why are you on Org?

LOL love the humour! :)

Ash87
11-Mar-10, 21:09
We are a loving family, we have a roof over our heads, adequate clothing and food on the table - anything else is a bonus.

^ Well Said!!

Pessimists usually make me feel quite good - I usually go away thinking, 'thank god I dont look at things that way all the time!' Although I do hate when I try encourage them to look on the bright side, then get shot down... dont drag me down with ya! :)

Whitewater
11-Mar-10, 23:11
I have known a guy from school now for nearly 60 or so years, he was a pessimist then, always on about doom and gloom. He has not changed. I don't meet him so often now (thank goodness) Last time we met he insisted on telling me how many of our old school class were left, even while having a drink he kept telling me it would be the death of him. I immediately bought him a large malt but he seemed to survive that, I thought that perhaps the shock of me buying it would have done the trick, but it was no use. No doubt he will be back trying to convince me that the world will be ending on 12 December 2012, but not to worry, I'll just open a bottle of good malt that day and enjoy it.

sweetpea
12-Mar-10, 00:13
Probably not unrelated to the thread on empathy I often find myself coming to an abrupt stop against the brick wall of a doom and gloom merchant and usually ricochet of in an entirely opposite direction. Sometimes it like encountering a religious persuasion called "Pessimisiterianism" with apologies to those who are happy in their belief systems.

So yesterday I met an old neighbour and of course the subject of weather and climate came up. His line was Ah, but the cold and snow are not over yet, next is the lambing snow followed by the Cuckoo Storms not to mention the May Gobs and that should take us into June!

And to continue what had started of as quite a nice day apart from a mid afternoon funeral the next person I bumped into embarked upon a litany of health woes related to growing old but his wife had the superb put down which is now stored in my defence arsenal. "If you think your glass is half empty get a smaller glass!"

Apart from dipping into the lighter moments on the ORG how does everyone else handle pessimists? Have a great day out there I'm going to, even with the prospect of another funeral on Monday!

My answer is: No matter how bad things are if you can look at it in an optomistic way then luck will do the rest lol glass half full and all that. Pessimists make me feel more determined not to turn out like them.

rich
12-Mar-10, 23:21
Optimism is all right but you shouldn't get reliant on it....

Dusty
13-Mar-10, 21:12
Isn't a pessimist just a realist with experience? ;)

Leanne
13-Mar-10, 21:22
Isn't a pessimist just a realist with experience? ;)

What Dusty said ;)