PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish at Retail Park

stekar
17-May-06, 15:15
Just been upto the new retail park in Wick, and was appalled by the amount of rubbish lying around....drink cans, sweet wrapper, polystrene cups, etc.

As far as I could see there are only two small bins, which were both over flowing.

Who is responsible for emptying these bins? It's not a good advertisement for Wick attracting visitors from all over the county and beyond to find the new retail park in such a state.

Reminds me of being back in England!

Mr P Cannop
17-May-06, 15:22
phone the wick service point to report it

angela5
17-May-06, 15:34
John's Snax??

Julia
17-May-06, 15:43
The bin outside New Look is the worst, the first time I visited that shop I could not believe the amount of rubbish overflowing from the bin and it was scattered all over the ground around the bin too. Not a good first impression at all.

I was up at the retail park on Sunday and there was no rubbish at all near the burger van, but again it was really messy at New Look/Superdrug.

I don't think it looks good either that the staff of superdrug congregate at the front door to smoke!

angela5
17-May-06, 15:48
is there anything in that retail park yet? is the 2 building have anything in them?

Argos, Homebase, Superdrug and New Look. Edinburgh Woolen Mill will be opening at the end of May.

jay
17-May-06, 16:00
I too was quite horrified at the amount of rubbish lying about the car park area. Homebase send employees out to clean up regularly, I've seen them doing it, one of the management even had someone cleaning up dog mess which a "thoughful" customer had left behind. One or two items I noticed - a bottle of stuff for fixing a car radiator, a bottle of oil for a car and a disposable nappy - these were not anywhere near a bin but in amongst the cars - so who should we be complaining about, the shops or the idiots mis-using them????

Mr P Cannop
17-May-06, 16:12
the police or the highland council

angela5
17-May-06, 16:17
I too was quite horrified at the amount of rubbish lying about the car park area. Homebase send employees out to clean up regularly, I've seen them doing it, one of the management even had someone cleaning up dog mess which a "thoughful" customer had left behind. One or two items I noticed - a bottle of stuff for fixing a car radiator, a bottle of oil for a car and a disposable nappy - these were not anywhere near a bin but in amongst the cars - so who should we be complaining about, the shops or the idiots mis-using them????

If the shops are supplying bins outside then it's the customers to blame for the rubbish strewn all over the car park.
Dog's muck and nappies that's just unbelievable....some people.:roll:

connieb19
17-May-06, 16:24
If the shops are supplying bins outside then it's the customers to blame for the rubbish strewn all over the car park.
Dog's muck and nappies that's just unbelievable....some people.:roll:they might be supplying bins but every time i've been up there, the bins are overflowing..:(

stekar
17-May-06, 16:31
When it was being built, there used to be lots of rubbish next to the builders vans. Obviously had their lunch, then opened the window and chucked the rubbish out.

Good on Homebase for keeping their area clean, pity the poor person who had to clear the dog muck up though, yuck.

It was worse around New Look and Superdrug, but that's where both bins are that are overflowing. Most people do bin their rubbish, but appears there's a not so small minority who don't think twice about chucking their rubbish on the floor.

EDDIE
17-May-06, 16:40
Just been upto the new retail park in Wick, and was appalled by the amount of rubbish lying around....drink cans, sweet wrapper, polystrene cups, etc.

As far as I could see there are only two small bins, which were both over flowing.

Who is responsible for emptying these bins? It's not a good advertisement for Wick attracting visitors from all over the county and beyond to find the new retail park in such a state.

Reminds me of being back in England!
I would imagine it would be up to the retailers to ensure the area is clean

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 16:45
the police or the highland council
I can't see the police being to happy getting phoned over rubbish at the retail park.

angela5
17-May-06, 16:48
they might be supplying bins but every time i've been up there, the bins are overflowing..:(

That's no excuse to litter the car park. Who's job is it to empty the bins i wonder?

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 16:57
Think of it also like this who's job is it to put the rubbish in the bin in the first place. If the customers were to put there rubbish in the bins in the first place, then the staff wouldn't have to go round picking up other peoples rubbish! because the customers are to lazy to go and put it in the bin themselves.[disgust]

angela5
17-May-06, 17:04
If the bins at the Retail park are all full then yes a complaint should be made, but to who.? I would not dump a nappy or empty tub of engine oil in the car park because the bin was full, i would take my rubbish with me and bin it else where.

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 17:13
Some people just have no thought for anyone else i was in Lidl's the other night and tourist where sat in there car and they were just dumping there rubbish out of the car.

JAWS
17-May-06, 17:14
The reason for rubbish such as plastic cups, food wrappers, sweet wrappers and any other simmilar non-food related rubbish has nothing to do with shops, food vans or anything similar. Shops, food outlets and all other inanimate objects bear no responsibility whatsoever.

The only responsible parties walk around on two legs and have two arms, the sole purpose of which is to scatter as much rubbish as possible in the least possible time.

Personally I blame modern life. We could solve the problem quite easily by abolishing farm mechanisation.
We could then give them free rein at this time of year following the horse-drawn plough where they could be provided with seed to scatter to their hearts content.

Harvest would create a problem, however, getting them to pich anything up that they had previously scattered would take considerable training involving much time and effort and probably a good deal of frustration. :lol:

Mr P Cannop
17-May-06, 17:16
I can't see the police being to happy getting phoned over rubbish at the retail park.

the police could give them an on the spot fine ??

connieb19
17-May-06, 17:25
the police could give them an on the spot fine ??Would you do a citizens arrest while you're waiting for the police to arrive?:confused

squeezy
17-May-06, 17:49
Can't find any similar info for Highland, but Edinburgh City Council has a number of Environmental Wardens who are responsible for enforcing littering and other similar laws, they can issue spot fines etc.

If you've been watching 'Life of Grime' you'll have seen then having wagers on how many fines they can issue!

badger
17-May-06, 18:40
It's not the fault of the shops, it's the filthy British who just drop litter everywhere. Haven't looked lately but the grassy banks in Wick used to be just covered in rubbish. Whatever happened to "Take your litter home"? It's not exactly difficult - keep a plastic bag in the car.

angela5
17-May-06, 18:44
It's not the fault of the shops, it's the filthy British who just drop litter everywhere. Haven't looked lately but the grassy banks in Wick used to be just covered in rubbish. Whatever happened to "Take your litter home"? It's not exactly difficult - keep a plastic bag in the car.

Agree with you there Badger.

tip top
17-May-06, 19:00
It's just Wickers making the retail park blend in with the rest of the toon! [lol]

Countryman
17-May-06, 21:19
It is not just the new retail park it's all over the county, where ever the lazy stupid culprits live. Why can't they take it home with them .
An example is the new collection areas they take their bottle etc and dispose of them in the bins and then throw away the bags they carried them in.

angela5
17-May-06, 21:21
It is not just the new retail park it's all over the county, where ever the lazy stupid culprits live. Why can't they take it home with them .
An example is the new collection areas they take their bottle etc and dispose of them in the bins and then throw away the bags they carried them in.

Sometimes they don't even bother to empty the bags. They are just left dumped beside the recyling bank.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 22:00
That is a very sweeping judgement, 'filthy british', yes there are too many people dropping litter but there are also a lot of people who use the wastebins provided.

bagpuss
17-May-06, 22:20
Schoolkids are main offenders- they troop up to New Look and Superdrug at lunchtime- and face it, lots of the staff at New look are little more than schoolkids themselves. Homebase believes in getting their pound of flesh out of employees- they get sent out to gather trolleys and wash the pavement. I'd give the assistants in the other shops a hose and a bucket- and when business is quiet they can do what the town retailers have done for years- -clean their shop front and pavement

Or- how about promoting the traffic warden to litter warden? he takes his work seriously?

Chillie
18-May-06, 03:57
the police could give them an on the spot fine ??

I think you will find it is a private car park belonging to the developer's who's duty it is to insure that the car park is kept clean and tidy. As for the bin's outside each shop you would like to think that the management of each place should have some pride on thier own front door's.[disgust]