PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought that society could not sink any lower

Anfield
04-Mar-10, 16:54
A DOG was tied to a fence, had petrol poured over her and then set on fire on a football field in Liverpool.
The female Staffordshire bull terrier-cross was heard yelping as she burned to death.
People living nearby ran to her aid but nothing could be done to save her. She was put to sleep to end her suffering.
It happened on Tuesday at 8.20pm on a sports pitch just off Stanley Road, Kirkdale.
RSPCA chief inspector Simon Small said: "I’ve never had to deal with an incident like this in my nine years with the Society."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/03/04/dog-dead-after-being-tied-up-on-a-kirkdale-football-field-and-set-on-fire-100252-25963446/

porshiepoo
04-Mar-10, 17:01
OMG. Why? Why would anyone do such a thing?
That poor dog.
I just don't understand the mind or mentality of a person that would even think of doing such a thing let alone carry it out.

johnlc
04-Mar-10, 17:27
omg i wish i never went into this thread,this makes me sick,i will have that image in my head the rest of the day now.Thats what i get for being noisy.

Commore
04-Mar-10, 17:38
A DOG was tied to a fence, had petrol poured over her and then set on fire on a football field in Liverpool.
The female Staffordshire bull terrier-cross was heard yelping as she burned to death.
People living nearby ran to her aid but nothing could be done to save her. She was put to sleep to end her suffering.
It happened on Tuesday at 8.20pm on a sports pitch just off Stanley Road, Kirkdale.
RSPCA chief inspector Simon Small said: "I’ve never had to deal with an incident like this in my nine years with the Society."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/03/04/dog-dead-after-being-tied-up-on-a-kirkdale-football-field-and-set-on-fire-100252-25963446/

Every now and then the newspapers come up with stories such as these, the country as a whole shows contempt and outrage, however, the perpetrators are seldom found, and on the odd occasion they are, the AUTHORITIES DO NOTHING!

In my opinion, and being a dog lover, I would be tempted to dish out the same, on the perpetrators of these horrendous crimes against poor defenceless beasts.

I cannot, for the life of me, fathom the mindless actions of others, who do this sort of thing,
I have read the post, but not the story because, much like the last post said, the images conjured would be with me forever.

redeyedtreefrog
04-Mar-10, 17:55
I hope the people who did this don't/cant breed.

Kenn
04-Mar-10, 18:52
It crosses my mind that with the current high profile crack down on illegal dog fighting and looking at the kind of dog that was so cruelly tortured some one was deliberately destroying the evidence.
The mind set of the scum who indulge their most basic instincts in this horrendous pursuit is such that they would see no wrong in their actions.
Quite frankly tying them up and setting fire to them would be too kind a punishment but as this is a public forem, I will not say what I would do to them.

Commore
04-Mar-10, 18:57
It crosses my mind that with the current high profile crack down on illegal dog fighting and looking at the kind of dog that was so cruelly tortured some one was deliberately destroying the evidence.
The mind set of the scum who indulge their most basic instincts in this horrendous pursuit is such that they would see no wrong in their actions.

Quite frankly tying them up and setting fire to them would be too kind a punishment but as this is a public forem, I will not say what I would do to them.

Not, if it was insured they survived their ordeal.
There again, society would no doubt "look after them", better to put them down.

Bazeye
05-Mar-10, 02:02
Ive got a punishment for them but cant put it on here. However it involves rope, A funnel, gallons of water, expandable foam and superglue. [evil]

upolian
05-Mar-10, 10:27
Very bad times:~(

Commore
05-Mar-10, 11:37
Ive got a punishment for them but cant put it on here. However it involves rope, A funnel, gallons of water, expandable foam and superglue. [evil]

Sounds like something out the POW camps of old.
How about conscription, bring it back and get the louts and mindless off the streets, my cousins who moved to South Africa in the early sixties, were drafted right into the army the day they left the school,

Why not do something like that in the uk?

fred
05-Mar-10, 11:52
I'm having problems understanding this thread.

It seems to consist of people saying they can't conceive the mindset of anyone who would do such a thing to another living creature then going on to conceive the worst possible things they could do to another living creature.

It doesn't make sense.

bekisman
05-Mar-10, 12:07
I'm having problems understanding this thread.

It seems to consist of people saying they can't conceive the mindset of anyone who would do such a thing to another living creature then going on to conceive the worst possible things they could do to another living creature.

It doesn't make sense.

One is a dumb animal - the other a free-thinker?

fred
05-Mar-10, 12:12
One is a dumb animal - the other a free-thinker?

But which is which?

ducati
05-Mar-10, 13:33
I think anyone who can do this to an animal will eventually do something similar to another person. On that basis alone, I think the police should invest the time and effort needed to identify the perpetrator/s

Anfield
05-Mar-10, 13:47
I think anyone who can do this to an animal will eventually do something similar to another person. On that basis alone, I think the police should invest the time and effort needed to identify the perpetrator/s

The police have identified dog owner (seems dog was micro-chipped) There are some interesting posts at the bottom of story, showing the contempt for perpetrators

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/index.cfm

Commore
05-Mar-10, 18:10
"The police" at least in Scotland (don't know about England) double as "wildlife police", they work in unison with all key organizations, ie; SNH, SSPCA, SGRPID, etc,
when they find the "perpetrator" which is not that often, what if anything do they do with them,
very occasionally you will read "such and such has been fined for such and such, offences against wildlife / game / rare birds etc, or if the animal is domestic, such and such has been banned from keeping such and such for ? number of years,
however, the "police" or / wildlife police cannot supervise these offenders indefinately, oh sure, they can make their presence felt for a week or so, but that is it.
It does not stop the offender re-offending, neither, however, does the courts in dishing out fines, large or small.
Prison sentences are not really a punishment, so what is the answer?

If, it were me in charge of the country, I'd draft them all into the army / boot camp and send them somewhere foreign where cruelty and insanity apparently is the name of the game.

I certainly would not wait for these thugs / mindless / cruel walking wonders to turn their prey into human prey that could very well be, your child or mine,

octane
05-Mar-10, 18:16
Sickening........

Very bemused why your not calling for the ban on petrol though :confused

fred
05-Mar-10, 19:32
If, it were me in charge of the country, I'd draft them all into the army / boot camp and send them somewhere foreign where cruelty and insanity apparently is the name of the game.

Yes, someone who would tie a dog to a lamp post and set fire to it would be right at home in the army. Probably make General in no time.

Anfield
05-Mar-10, 19:55
Yes, someone who would tie a dog to a lamp post and set fire to it would be right at home in the army. Probably make General in no time.

Fred, I agree with a lot of things you say, but I am not with you on this one.

Not everyone in the army is sadistic, member of BNP, facist etc.

Some join up as an alternative to an unhappy lifestyle they have, and tens and tens of thousands have returned to normal civilian lives as better people.

Some however are damaged by what they experience in warfare and bring their anger home with them. It is these that we should be worried about.

Because of the fact that parents and teachers have lost the right to discipline youngsters, and that many parents have abrogated their parental duties, then we do need to think of a new solution.

Even in rural areas crime is rising, you only have to read Journal & Courier for examples of this.

I would object to any type of bootcamp where the use of firearms is taught, after all we do not need any more Dunblanes or Hungerfords.
Furthermore, people who use guns in a bootcamp, may be tempted to acquire guns after camp and then start killing animals for sport and then who knows where this love of killing life will take them

Commore
05-Mar-10, 20:10
Fred, I agree with a lot of things you say, but I am not with you on this one.

Not everyone in the army is sadistic, member of BNP, facist etc.

Some join up as an alternative to an unhappy lifestyle they have, and tens and tens of thousands have returned to normal civilian lives as better people.

Some however are damaged by what they experience in warfare and bring their anger home with them. It is these that we should be worried about.

Because of the fact that parents and teachers have lost the right to discipline youngsters, and that many parents have abrogated their parental duties, then we do need to think of a new solution.

Even in rural areas crime is rising, you only have to read Journal & Courier for examples of this.

I would object to any type of bootcamp where the use of firearms is taught, after all we do not need any more Dunblanes or Hungerfords.
Furthermore, people who use guns in a bootcamp, may be tempted to acquire guns after camp and then start killing animals for sport and then who knows where this love of killing life will take them

Who mentioned they would get out of bootcamp, straight into the army with them.

northener
05-Mar-10, 20:14
Who mentioned they would get out of bootcamp, straight into the army with them.

No thanks, Commore.

The Army shouldn't be used as a dumping ground for societies problems. That honour falls to the Courts and Social Services.

I doubt very much if you'd get any professional Soldier, Sailor or Airman who would want to be wasting their skills dealing with filth like this.

Unless it's to make their lives as miserable as possible, of course.......;)

Commore
05-Mar-10, 20:22
No thanks, Commore.

The Army shouldn't be used as a dumping ground for societies problems. That honour falls to the Courts and Social Services.

I doubt very much if you'd get any professional Soldier, Sailor or Airman who would want to be wasting their skills dealing with filth like this.

I see what you're saying.

Unless it's to make their lives as miserable as possible, of course.......;)

EXACTLY. the courts are powerless to ensure such punishment.

Anfield
05-Mar-10, 21:08
No thanks, Commore.

Why do professional soldiers etc. put up with the filth who are members of BNP and EDL and other far right extremist groups.

Former heads of the Army General Sir Mike Jackson and General Sir Richard Richard Dannatt among others, said far-right groups were "fundamentally at odds" with the values of the British military.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bnp-claim-wide-army-support-1805936.html

bekisman
05-Mar-10, 22:09

What a very very stupid thing to say. Get a life Fred, you're crackng once again..

John Little
05-Mar-10, 22:44
Seriously though, Niall Ferguson's book 'The Pity of War' has a very disturbing section in it about the guys who like war because they actually like the act of killing- so maybe Fred is not too far of the mark.

I've never been a soldier so I do not know except but what I read - and I read recently that in any average platoon there are 3 men who do the business of killing - and the rest do other jobs- they back the killers up.

Any ex soldiers out there may have thoughts on the truth or not of this...

Anfield
06-Mar-10, 00:40
EXACTLY. the courts are powerless to ensure such punishment.

No, I disagree. The courts do have powers to reduce the rise in crime, the problem is that they will not impose sentences to fit the crime. I will give you an example, and to bring thread back on track will use an example of animal abuse

Sheriff Napier, of Orkney & Shetland Shetland & Orkney Sheriffs Court had a chance last year to impose a substantial sentence on a Shetland fisherman who clubbed 21 seals to death
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7961442.stm

Rather than imposing a substantial sentence and fine (maximum 6 months gaol and £5,000 fine) he was gaoled for 80 days, and I set out below part of Napiers judgement.

".. However I must balance that against the seriousness of the offending and a need to make clear that society in general and the courts will not tolerate the infliction of such unnecessary suffering not just on one but on 21 seals. I do not understand you to accept, as one of your referees put it, that they were brought up to believe that seals are surplus to requirement. Even if you were, no one can condone causing unnecessary suffering as happened here.

"..Although the social work department has looked at the various alternatives to custody in their report, and I have considered these, in all the circumstances but particularly because of the seriousness and as a discouragement to others who may be tempted to engage in this type of activity, I consider that there is no alternative but a custodial sentence. Parliament in enacting this legislation set the maximum sentence at 6 months imprisonment. It is difficult to envisage a much more serious case of such offending but given your previous good character and making allowance for the possibility that someone could breach this section in a more serious manner I consider that my starting point for sentence should be one of 4 months. I will then discount that by 1/3 to result in a sentence of 80 days.."

So this ruling therefore gives defence solicitors a plea mitigation of " well it could have been much worse your honour.."

Until Sheriffs & Judges get tough on crime, and impose sentences in proportion to crime committed then crime will rise.

Bazeye
06-Mar-10, 00:53
Why do professional soldiers etc. put up with the filth who are members of BNP and EDL and other far right extremist groups.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bnp-claim-wide-army-support-1805936.html

Id say that it was probably because the BNP would withdraw all troops from the illrgal war they find themselves embroiled in.

Commore
06-Mar-10, 10:51
Seriously though, Niall Ferguson's book 'The Pity of War' has a very disturbing section in it about the guys who like war because they actually like the act of killing- so maybe Fred is not too far of the mark.

I've never been a soldier so I do not know except but what I read - and I read recently that in any average platoon there are 3 men who do the business of killing - and the rest do other jobs- they back the killers up.

I would say, that's about right.

bekisman
06-Mar-10, 10:57
I would say, that's about right.

But thought you weren't a squaddie? what will your nephew think! Quote: My young nephew, is only in his early twenties, barely just a man, but has so much in front of him and we are all proud of him.:)

stromalassy
06-Mar-10, 11:11
omg i wish i never went into this thread,this makes me sick,i will have that image in my head the rest of the day now.Thats what i get for being noisy. ditto, this makes me sick to my stomach and sooooo angry.

northener
06-Mar-10, 12:12

Why does society put up with the BNP and the EDL might be a more accurate question...unless you think the Military is rife with these people, of course.
The Forces made their dislike of the NF very clear back in my time, and I would say that the same holds true with todays 'Far Right Wing' (for want of a better description) today.

Bear in mind that the BNP and EDL are not banned organisations, unlike the Police there is no legislation barring anyone in the Forces joining these groups (that's my understanding, anyway).

Technically correct, not every single person in the Armed Forces is physically pulling the trigger. This does not mean that the person 'shooting' is some sort of bloodthirsty killer and that the rest are somehow avoiding killing - that's a completely skewed interpretation. Military units work as a team, backing each other up. Always have done.

Anfield
06-Mar-10, 16:43
Why does society put up with the BNP and the EDL might be a more accurate question...unless you think the Military is rife with these people, of course.
The Forces made their dislike of the NF very clear back in my time, and I would say that the same holds true with todays 'Far Right Wing' (for want of a better description) today.

Disagree, see following

The policy for the Regular Army personnel is laid out in Queens Regulations Part 14 — Political Activities & Electoral Registration (J5.581 – J5.586). “Members of the Regular Army can belong to any political party, including the British National Party, and may attend political meetings so long as uniform is not worn, service duties are not impeded and their actions do not bring the service into disrepute.
“What service personnel are not permitted to do is take any active part in the affairs of a political organisation, party or movement, or participate in political marches or demonstrations,” Mr Howson said.
“The policy for TA personnel is laid down in TA Regulations Part 8 — Political Activities & Electoral Registration (3.302 -3.303).

northener
06-Mar-10, 17:00
Disagree, see following

The policy for the Regular Army personnel is laid out in Queens Regulations Part 14 — Political Activities & Electoral Registration (J5.581 – J5.586). “Members of the Regular Army can belong to any political party, including the British National Party, and may attend political meetings so long as uniform is not worn, service duties are not impeded and their actions do not bring the service into disrepute.
“What service personnel are not permitted to do is take any active part in the affairs of a political organisation, party or movement, or participate in political marches or demonstrations,” Mr Howson said.
“The policy for TA personnel is laid down in TA Regulations Part 8 — Political Activities & Electoral Registration (3.302 -3.303).

I really don't know what you're reading into this Anfield, as it backs up what I said.

Thats a standard outline for any Political Party, not just the BNP. The Forces took a 'dim view' of the NF, but IIRC they couldn't do much about people attending their rallies.

One of my best mates in the Forces was a card-carrying member of the Communist Party and CND at the height of the Cold War - the same rulings applied to him then as the rulings apply to the BNP and other legitimate political parties now.

Question: Would you find my friends' membership of the CP and CND so distasteful? - seeing as back in the late '70s and early 80's we were living with the threat of all out nuclear war? I'd say he could be viewed as posing a greater threat to the UK than a few knuckle draggers in Oldham - following your anti political affiliation line, that is......

fred
06-Mar-10, 17:13
Question: Would you find my friends' membership of the CP and CND so distasteful? - seeing as back in the late '70s and early 80's we were living with the threat of all out nuclear war? I'd say he could be viewed as posing a greater threat to the UK than a few knuckle draggers in Oldham - following your anti political affiliation line, that is......

I don't think being a member of the Communist Party and CND while in the army is distasteful, a threat to national security maybe but not distasteful.

I think giving someone with a hatred of people of a different skin colour a gun and sending them off to countries where people of a different skin colour live is somewhat lacking in taste though.

Anfield
06-Mar-10, 17:15
I really don't know what you're reading into this Anfield, as it backs up what I said.

Thats a standard outline for any Political Party, not just the BNP. The Forces took a 'dim view' of the NF, but IIRC they couldn't do much about people attending their rallies.

One of my best mates in the Forces was a card-carrying member of the Communist Party and CND at the height of the Cold War - the same rulings applied to him then as the rulings apply to the BNP and other legitimate political parties now.

The post I made stated that the Armed Forces had declared that membership of BNP was allowed. Your original post stated that they frowned upon it.

I was also a member of CP, and still believe that communism, in its purest form, is a viable alternative to the greedy free enterprise system we have now.

During the Cold War, my biggest fear was that Reagan would start a nuclear war, not Russia.
I dont think that Russia had the weapon strength that America claimed it had, where have I heard that recently.

northener
06-Mar-10, 17:43
I don't think being a member of the Communist Party and CND while in the army is distasteful, a threat to national security maybe but not distasteful.

As opposed to supporting a political system that spawned Stalin and the Khmer Rouge? Aye, no distaste there at all, I'm sure....

I think giving someone with a hatred of people of a different skin colour a gun and sending them off to countries where people of a different skin colour live is somewhat lacking in taste though.

Come off it Fred, playing the race card is a bloody cheap shot and not worthy of you.

The post I made stated that the Armed Forces had declared that membership of BNP was allowed. Your original post stated that they frowned upon it.

And I stand by that post. The Forces disliked/frowned upon the NF - not banned the NF - that's Government policy - not Military. Contrary to what some people would have us believe, the Military in the UK has virtually no control over what legislation is placed upon them. The rules are clear cut and simple. They've worked for a long time.
The military have a long and proud tradition of disliking nearly all politicians - because it's them that have to go out and get killed on the backs of politicians ineptness. The Military 'frown' upon a lot of things that they cannot control - but they won't challenge the Government on legislation as it is outside their scope to do so...and long may it remain so. We don't want the military making up the rules of Governance, do we?

I think you'll find it was legal to be a supporter of Oswald Mosely in the forces in the 1930's - did that turn the military into an Fascist inspired movement? Nope.
I don't recall swathes of British troops chucking their guns up in the air and refusing to fight the Nazis because of a handful of bigots.

I was also a member of CP, and still believe that communism, in its purest form, is a viable alternative to the greedy free enterprise system we have now.

And I'm a huge admirer of John Lilburne, the Quakers, the Diggers and the Levellers. Unfortunately, ideals are wonderful things for idealists to sit around and discuss. Nothing more.

During the Cold War, my biggest fear was that Reagan would start a nuclear war, not Russia.
I dont think that Russia had the weapon strength that America claimed it had, where have I heard that recently.

Ever seen the Soviet military machine close up? I have, repeatedly. It was bloody awesome in its scope and depth. Playing silly numbers games with warheads doesn't change the situation one bit. Completely irrelevant point.

ducati
06-Mar-10, 17:49
[quote=
Ever seen the Soviet military machine close up? I have, repeatedly. It was bloody awesome in its scope and depth. Playing silly numbers games with warheads doesn't change the situation one bit. Completely irrelevant point.[/quote]

I was never worried about 50,000 Russian tanks breaking across the Rhineland. My dad and his mates were waiting for them in their Vickers equiped landrovers :eek:

fred
06-Mar-10, 17:53
As opposed to supporting a political system that spawned Stalin and the Khmer Rouge? Aye, no distaste there at all, I'm sure....

The nationalist parties have one or two stars in their ranks too, like Mr Hitler.

Come off it Fred, playing the race card is a bloody cheap shot and not worthy of you.

We are discussing the BNP, you can't call bringing race into it a cheap shot. I think it would be very difficult to discuss the BNP without bringing race into it, it wouldn't leave too much to say about them.

northener
06-Mar-10, 18:04
The nationalist parties have one or two stars in their ranks too, like Mr Hitler.

We are discussing the BNP, you can't call bringing race into it a cheap shot. I think it would be very difficult to discuss the BNP without bringing race into it, it wouldn't leave too much to say about them.

Fair comment about the BNP.

But saying that anyone who supports the BNP is automatically incapable of being professional in their role as a member of the military is a rather simplistic and incorrect viewpoint.

It's like saying that anyone who votes for the BNP has the capability to go round and chuck a rock through an Asian families window. Not the case.

For the record, I fought I the Falklands War, I can name three friends (one of whom was the guy in the CP) who were vehemently opposed to the armed response by the UK. Yet these guys went ahead and served with distinction in that little scuffle. Their own held beliefs didn't stop them from doing their job properly.

You're missing one fundamental point about the UK military, Fred. They have a remarkable capability to detatch themselves from their own beliefs/opinions and get on with the job in hand. Because they're good at what they do. Because they've been trained to behave in that way.

I know that there will always be exceptions, but they are just that. Exceptions.

Anyway, this now has got nothing to do with thugs and cruelty to animals - so that's my last off-topic post.

Cheers.:D

Anfield
08-Mar-10, 18:16
It is reported that the owner of the dog that died after being set on fire was arrested over the weekend:

"..THE owner of a dog burned to death on a Liverpool playing field was forced to listen to the horrific moment his pet was torched by sick yobs.
The ECHO understands the callous killing was part of a growing underworld feud that has seen two city gangsters go against each other in recent weeks.
And the owner himself was arrested on Friday as police staked out this weekend’s amateur football to stop any reprisal attacks..."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/03/08/liverpool-dog-owner-forced-to-listen-as-pet-set-on-fire-100252-25983452/