PDA

View Full Version : Empathy and Opinions.

gleeber
04-Mar-10, 16:04
If i've learnt anything from the org it's that there will be a variety of opinions from a selective bunch of people, in any given community.
Has anyone ever considered how those opinions have formed within themselves? These are the same opinions that will have us at eachothers throats about a variety of things. Individually those opinions will start physical reactions in our bodies if they are challenged. A lump in the throat or white knuckles or a variety of other sensations or even God forbid bad repping someone. :lol:
There's strong evidence that psychopaths are born without empathy. Apart from that, those of us who are presumptious enough to call ourselves normal, do we learn that from others?
Does that mean none of us are our true selves and what is empathy anyway?

Saveman
04-Mar-10, 16:17
Empathy is your pain in my heart.

gleeber
04-Mar-10, 16:48
Aye that's a good start Saveman although I would explain it
as my pain in my heart, transferred to you.
For something so human as empathy it doesnt seem to stop people being cruel to eachother. Why is that?
We know how the other person is going to be feeling because we feel it ourselves. Yet it doesnt stop us. There must be stronger forces at work.

cuddlepop
04-Mar-10, 16:53
If you look at how an Autistic person behaves you will soon discover empathy does not come naturally and where it excists its only because its been taught.

They also have very strong opinions which usualy result in a "fuse blown" if you dont agree with them.

Interesting post Gleeber.:D

There are no "normal" Autistic people but many "varietys."

ducati
04-Mar-10, 16:56
If you look at how an Autistic person behaves you will soon discover empathy does not come naturally and where it excists its only because its been taught.

They also have very strong opinions which usualy result in a "fuse blown" if you dont agree with them.

Interesting post Gleeber.:D

There are no "normal" Autistic people but many "varietys."

And you can just point to your signature cuddlepop, sums up empathy in a line :D

porshiepoo
04-Mar-10, 17:12
If i've learnt anything from the org it's that there will be a variety of opinions from a selective bunch of people, in any given community.
Has anyone ever considered how those opinions have formed within themselves? These are the same opinions that will have us at eachothers throats about a variety of things. Individually those opinions will start physical reactions in our bodies if they are challenged. A lump in the throat or white knuckles or a variety of other sensations or even God forbid bad repping someone. :lol:
There's strong evidence that psychopaths are born without empathy. Apart from that, those of us who are presumptious enough to call ourselves normal, do we learn that from others?
Does that mean none of us are our true selves and what is empathy anyway?

Empathy as I see it is the ability to identify and share the feelings of another. Sometimes to the extent where a person is literally able to feel another persons pain, euphoria etc for themselves.
I don't think it's an emotion that we all automatically have but I also don't think that a lack of it automatically means you are a psychopath or in danger of being one.
There are many conditions that would lead to showing a reduced ability to be empathic.

Errogie
04-Mar-10, 19:29
My daughter tells me that autistics don't necessarily lack empathy, more that they have such difficulty with social rules that they have difficulty understanding others and even more difficulty showing that they feel sorry for them. They also don't necessarily understand or imagine the implications of what a person is going through, because of the problem with flexibility of thought.

domino
04-Mar-10, 20:51
Please, Plese do not label people. I find the use of your "AUTISTICS" very offensive. I hae no doubt your daughter means well ,but, there is plenty of material available that can try to explain how people with autism view their world

fred
04-Mar-10, 22:00
Aye that's a good start Saveman although I would explain it
as my pain in my heart, transferred to you.
For something so human as empathy it doesnt seem to stop people being cruel to eachother. Why is that?
We know how the other person is going to be feeling because we feel it ourselves. Yet it doesnt stop us. There must be stronger forces at work.

Man is a herd animal, we can't survive alone, we need the herd, empathy is a survival factor.

But we only tend to have empathy with people we see as part of our own herd, not for people we see as from a rival herd.

bekisman
04-Mar-10, 22:21
Man is a herd animal, we can't survive alone, we need the herd, empathy is a survival factor.

But we only tend to have empathy with people we see as part of our own herd, not for people we see as from a rival herd.

You may well be right there Fred?

John Little
04-Mar-10, 22:28
As I seem to recall from many years ago it's one of the components of a moral being; the ability to stand in another's shoes and experience what they might be experiencing. It's possessed to a greater or lesser degree by most but by some, not at all.

The Drunken Duck
04-Mar-10, 22:37
I think Fred has it spot on with the Herd comparison. I have relations I dont bother with and friends I would walk through fire for, I think we empathise with our traits reflected back in others. We all look for approval in our peers and I always gravitate towards people I think are like me in beliefs and outlooks.

I cant really relate to people of vastly different outlooks for some reason. I dont dislike them in any way, I am polite and civil and if they were in trouble of course I would help as I would a good friend but as for getting interested in them ?? .. I simply cant be bothered.

fred
04-Mar-10, 22:43
As I seem to recall from many years ago it's one of the components of a moral being; the ability to stand in another's shoes and experience what they might be experiencing. It's possessed to a greater or lesser degree by most but by some, not at all.

Some studies suggest that as many as 6% of the population are psychopaths. While it is a survival factor for the herd unfortunately for some, like the sociopath who realises early in life that they are different and learns to fake it, it can be a great advantage and they tend to go to the top of whatever field they go into, politics, commerce, crime. There is also evidence it is hereditary.

Shabbychic
05-Mar-10, 02:43

Sorry, but I don't agree with this interpretation. Some might react in this way, but not everybody does.

To me empathy means being able to understand another's feelings, situation and motives.

I very often totally disagree with things going on in the world, but if you step back for a minute, and put yourself in the shoes and situations of others, it is often possible to see why they are acting in the way they are. You may not agree with them, but can at least see where they are coming from.

Take for example farmers growing poppies for the drug trade, or poaching wild animals. Now I totally disagree with doing this, but can understand why they do it. If you are so poor your family is dying of starvation, and you are offered money for doing either of these things, which can be the difference between life and death, perhaps things would look very different.

Then again, I realise some can't see beyond themselves, and think the world revolves around them.

There is also far more involved in psychopathy than lack of empathy. :)