PDA

View Full Version : Eye sores in the community

macc
17-May-06, 07:52
I know we have all mentioned about the eyesores of windfarms, but I want to find out what people feel are eyesores in the Caithness community apart from the windfarms.
I don't like to see all these residential caravans that are sprouting up all over the place. I'm happy to see them when building work is under way to construct a house, but an awful lot of them seem to be just living there and no sign of building.

connieb19
17-May-06, 08:14
Houses being painted odd colours.

Lucy
17-May-06, 08:18
A few that spring to mind around Wick are
1. The old Dominoes site (spoken about on previous threads)
2. The shop in Bridge St that used to be a video shop
3. The buildings at Richards Garage in Francis St.
4. Old Pentland Auto premises in George St.
5. The building at the bottom of Shore lane. Used to be "Sloans" shop i think,

I'm sure a lot more will spring to mind as the day goes on.

dunderheed
17-May-06, 09:08
scrap cars in fields in the middle of nowhere

angela5
17-May-06, 09:21
Has anyone noticed the building opposite the old dominoes site? it looks like a haunted house. Does anyone actually live in there? That building has some serious cracks in it.

Rheghead
17-May-06, 11:54
The large white building outside Thurso on the hill near the recycling center, every time I go past I just go 'ouch!'

badger
17-May-06, 12:13
Houses being painted odd colours.

No please - let's have more of these to brighten the place up. Don't like stone walls being painted but all that dreary brown harling is too depressing. Someone in a terraced house near me has painted the outside and it looks so much better. I would love to see every harled house painted (depending on the colours of course :roll: )

angela5
17-May-06, 13:52
No please - let's have more of these to brighten the place up. Don't like stone walls being painted but all that dreary brown harling is too depressing. Someone in a terraced house near me has painted the outside and it looks so much better. I would love to see every harled house painted (depending on the colours of course :roll: )

How about a nice bright red one.:lol:

Billy Boy
17-May-06, 13:55
passed a house in gillock today which was a horrible shade of blue,each to there own:eek:

angela5
17-May-06, 13:58
2. The shop in Bridge St that used to be a video shop

Workmen have been in there the last few weeks.
Let's hope something good is going in there. I hope they don't paint the brickwork bright orange..:lol:

krieve
17-May-06, 14:07
What about the colour of D R simpsons in wick.

angela5
17-May-06, 14:15
passed a house in gillock today which was a horrible shade of blue,each to there own:eek:

There is one in wick that's a horrible shade of blue..yuk!:eek:

Spirit
17-May-06, 14:30
I think painted houses would brighten the county up however we might end up with something like Balamory (childrens tv programme for anyone who doesn't watch it)

coastown
17-May-06, 15:31
Has anyone noticed the building opposite the old dominoes http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_225.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) site? it looks like a haunted house. Does anyone actually live in there? That building has some serious cracks in it. yes manager at the norseman stays in that house, i also believe there are a couple of live in staff there to, also heard there is meant to be a ghost that http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_229.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) frequents the building

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNfox000 (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNfox000)

angela5
17-May-06, 15:52
So that's where the Norseman house their staff. The applicant's must be really disappointed. Live in accomodation!!!:roll:

angela5
17-May-06, 15:54
yes manager at the norseman stays in that house.

Maybe on the inside it is not quite so bad then.

Rheghead
17-May-06, 16:02
I think Dounreay with its massive Golf ball is an eyesore, it is a tragedy that it is allowed to remain in a wilderness cos its a protected monument. What were these planners thinking when they slapped a preservation order on it?

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 16:49
I could'nt agree more rheghead, it's a total eyesore!

JimH
17-May-06, 18:20
The large white building outside Thurso on the hill near the recycling center, every time I go past I just go 'ouch!'
This belongs to Dounray - and can be seen for miles in any direction.
It has to be the Biggest Eyesore in Britain - let alone Caithness

badger
17-May-06, 18:35

This is definitely a blot on the landscape but maybe even that wouldn't look so bad if it wasn't white - needs a bit of camouflage paint. Or a large mural?

Now what could we do with the dome? Hmmmm (thinks) - could be quite pretty.

I reckon it's time we let some of our local artists loose on all these ugly buildings.

dozerboy
17-May-06, 18:39
scrap cars in fields in the middle of nowhere

I would agree, they are a blot on the landscape. Nobody seems to actually scrap their old vehicles, they are just left to rot and probably eventually drop oil and antifreeze into the ground. Not very eco friendly.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 18:39
Workmen have been in there the last few weeks.
Let's hope something good is going in there. I hope they don't paint the brickwork bright orange..:lol: As far as I know, the owners of the K.2 restaurant have bought the balti house so maybe they have something to do with that building aswell.

angela5
17-May-06, 18:41
I reckon it's time we let some of our local artists loose on all these ugly buildings.

Hope it's not little kiddies with spray paint.:lol:

angela5
17-May-06, 18:43
As far as I know, the owners of the K.2 restaurant have bought the balti house so maybe they have something to do with that building aswell.

Another Indian Restaurant perhaps.:roll:

dirdyweeker
18-May-06, 00:16
How about a nice bright red one.:lol:

there is a red one is Seaforth Avenue in Wick :)

and I heard that some firm from Castletown who are involved in making log cabins have taken over the old video shop in Bridge Street for a local office in Wick??

Chillie
18-May-06, 03:42
I think Dounreay with its massive Golf ball is an eyesore, it is a tragedy that it is allowed to remain in a wilderness cos its a protected monument. What were these planners thinking when they slapped a preservation order on it?

Why? it's now part of Caithness's history,which brought a lot of employment and money in to Caithness, for which, most of the people who are in this county now might not be here.:mad:

JAWS
18-May-06, 04:32
Why? it's now part of Caithness's history,which brought a lot of employment and money in to Caithness, for which, most of the people who are in this county now might not be here.:mad:
I agree with you Chillie, At least it is confined in one small area, if there were loads of them stuck all over Caithness it would be a different matter.
It is unique, there aren't many more of them in Britain, and it is of greater Historical Value than most Listed Buildings.

The eyesore which really makes my blood boil is the Council Building in Wick which is in a disgusting state. There can be absolutely no excuse for it, even the paintwork hasn't been touched since heaven knows when. Is there anybody old enough to remember when it last had a coat of paint. Perhaps the Council is so poor that we need to have a whip-round to buy them a couple of gallons (That's about 10 litres for you moderns) of paint.

I know, I know, it's falling down inside and will cost a fortune to put right. Well that only makes the situation even more of a scandal because if it had been properly looked after in the first place it wouldn't have got into that state.
I've seen abandonned, semi-derelict buildings in a better state of repair! [disgust]

emszxr
18-May-06, 06:24

cant think what or where this is, can someone please tell me. dont know where recycling centre is either

dunderheed
18-May-06, 09:11
cant think what or where this is, can someone please tell me. dont know where recycling centre is either

it's on the road up past dunbar hospital on the right hand side,next to the turn off for the golf club.

on the subject of what to do with the dome. didn't the ormlie youth initiative do some projections on it a while ago ? it was made to look like a massive goldfishbowl. that would be cool to see again!

Rheghead
18-May-06, 11:07

The atomic bomb blast was part of Hiroshima's history and also caused an eyesore and in the aftermath also brought jobs to the area through health physics research, but nobody there is wanting a repeat performance.

Similiarly, Dounreay is an eyesore and was responsible for spreading radioactivity all over the place.

The similarities are undeniable....

ice box
18-May-06, 11:17
The large white building outside Thurso on the hill near the recycling center, every time I go past I just go 'ouch!'I heard that doesn't have planning permission as it can be dismantled as it only a test centre for that when there done with it . It can be taken down .

emszxr
18-May-06, 12:23
i know the building now, i thought it was that one.
yep, it dont need planning as it can be dismantled, but it can stay up for quite a lot of years before being dismantled, not sure how many years, but did hear if they want to keep it up for 20 years they can. dont count me on this though.

Ancient Mariner
18-May-06, 12:44
The Old Brewery in Thurso is my pet hate! Either do something with it or knock it down!!!

that_guy
18-May-06, 13:37
The college is a complete eyesore well the main green bit anyway the rest of it is alright why did they make it that colour? When you are on the inside they have the glass tinted so the outside world look far duller than it should which is a bad thing especially for Caithness. Really depressing and sore on a bright day.
Also seeing as someone already mentioned cars I am going to put in cruisers cars as well even though it goes without saying.

98elite
18-May-06, 14:06
It has to be the Biggest Eyesore in Britain - let alone Caithness

It doesn't belong to dounreay, try JGC and North highland College, think you might find that's closer to the mark, it is a shocker though.

dozy
18-May-06, 14:25
Councillers are the biggest eyesore .When looking for votes its the a smiley polished front, once their in its the back of their head thats all you see ...

JimH
18-May-06, 22:55
It doesn't belong to dounreay, try JGC and North highland College, think you might find that's closer to the mark, it is a shocker though.
I was advised by somebody at Dounreay - and what it is used for at the moment. I was obviously advised incorrectly.
But what an eyesore.

ice box
18-May-06, 23:09
Well i was told that dounreay have it for decommissioning the pipe farm in dounreay some were to dismantle the big tank that used to store the sodium .And jgc have the contract for cutting the tanks up and alstec have the contract for working with the sodium .but maybe iam wrong .

JAWS
19-May-06, 03:08
The atomic bomb blast was part of Hiroshima's history and also caused an eyesore and in the aftermath also brought jobs to the area through health physics research, but nobody there is wanting a repeat performance.

Similiarly, Dounreay is an eyesore and was responsible for spreading radioactivity all over the place.

The similarities are undeniable....
You are right about Hiroshima, they insisted on preserving the site of Ground Zero, they didn't complain it was ugly and hide it away.

I was brought up within five or so miles of the place where they played about with testing the theories which led to the building of both Windscale (Sellafield to you youngsters) and Dounreay, I used to go past the place quite regularly. It was where they poked their finger in the fire to see if it burned, I'm still waiting to see if I am going to suffer any after effects.
So far so good and I've not heard of any of the kids I grew up with having any problems either.
And I was around for the big chimney fire and the radiation leak at Windscale, I'm waiting for the after effects of that also.

When I see the blinding flash I will believe their might be a little bit of a similarity. In the meantime I am making arrangements for my body to be dug up on 500 years to see if the after-effects have caught up with me.

In the meantime I'll keep checking to be sure I'm not going to be struck by a passing Martian Spaceship, just in case.

Keep the Golf-ball, it's unique ans definitely Caithnessian.

Oh yes, and guess who has Nuclear Power Stations? Would you believe - Japan - and they are the experts on the effects of radiation and they aren't having panic attacks about it!

golach
19-May-06, 10:01
Sorry Rheghead, I disagree with you this time, the Dounreay Ball is as unique to Caithness as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris or the Castle is to Edinburgh.
The Ball brought employment and hope and lots of spin offs to Caithness.
Every time I see it on TV my wee Kaitness heart fills up, and I wish I could be near it.

ice box
19-May-06, 12:39
Sorry Rheghead, I disagree with you this time, the Dounreay Ball is as unique to Caithness as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris or the Castle is to Edinburgh.
The Ball brought employment and hope and lots of spin offs to Caithness.
Every time I see it on TV my wee Kaitness heart fills up, and I wish I could be near it.It was'nt built to mark a landscape it was built to make money and that it did .

sam
19-May-06, 12:53
i think that the big style town house's in the counrty are a complete eyesore and totally spoil the views:(

ywindy
20-May-06, 00:20
Originally Posted by Rheghead
It has to be the Biggest Eyesore in Britain - let alone Caithness.

It doesn't belong to Dounreay, it belongs to you and me, paid for through CASE.

It is 27 metres high (less than half the height of the hub on the Causeway- mire turbines) and it doesn't move. It is only one structure. It is a planning mistake which will not be repeated, because people express their views about it.

How many of you have looked at the new turbines above Latheron and Dunbeath and felt that perhaps they weren't quite in the right place?

That was a planning mistake, soon to happen again all round us. At Forss for example, but it is now too late to do any thing about it there.

Caithness and Highland have now done more than their fair share of windfarm development. Time to call a halt to it.

ywindy

JAWS
20-May-06, 00:48
Originally Posted by Rheghead
It has to be the Biggest Eyesore in Britain - let alone Caithness.

It doesn't belong to Dounreay, it belongs to you and me, paid for through CASE.

It is 27 metres high (less than half the height of the hub on the Causeway- mire turbines) and it doesn't move. It is only one structure. It is a planning mistake which will not be repeated, because people express their views about it.

How many of you have looked at the new turbines above Latheron and Dunbeath and felt that perhaps they weren't quite in the right place?

That was a planning mistake, soon to happen again all round us. At Forss for example, but it is now too late to do any thing about it there.

Caithness and Highland have now done more than their fair share of windfarm development. Time to call a halt to it.

ywindy
What do the people of the Central Belt and huge Concrete Urban Conglomerates in England care about Caithness and Sutherland?

They've run out of places to despoil, in the name of progress, in their own areas so why should they not ruin Caithness and Sutherland in the same way? What does it matter, they can't see it from their back-yards. :roll:

They are like the Legions of Rome, they will march over anybody provided the Urban Centres of the Roman's are kept supplied with their demands.

Didn't I hear that the Eyesore-on-the-Hill was put there because it was on an Industrial Park, or some such fancy invention, so the Planning Regulations that apply to you and me didn't apply?

You apply to erect a monstrosity like that and see what response you get!

Fran
20-May-06, 01:07
Has anyone noticed the building opposite the old dominoes site? it looks like a haunted house. Does anyone actually live in there? That building has some serious cracks in it.

That belongs to the hotel by Presto, the old mercury inn, ive forgotten its name now. the manager and other staff live there. its like a crooked house.!!

mareng
20-May-06, 07:59
Yes - keep the original dome, but there has to be a commitment to maintain the paintwork - sadly, if there is no financial incentive for the site operator, these things just lapse.

There was an English Electric Lightning (strike aircraft) on a pedestal outside the BAE site in Edinburgh that was covered in moss and gunge - it was a sad sight!

JAWS
20-May-06, 18:47
Yes - keep the original dome, but there has to be a commitment to maintain the paintwork - sadly, if there is no financial incentive for the site operator, these things just lapse.

There was an English Electric Lightning (strike aircraft) on a pedestal outside the BAE site in Edinburgh that was covered in moss and gunge - it was a sad sight!
That's terrible to hear. I remember seeing some of the first ones to fly when it was still called the P1. Hearing them breaking the sound barrier was quite normal when I was young. Then the "anti-everything" brigade got in on the act and moaned about it. I still miss hearing the double "sonic boom" when they did it. It was never really much of a problem unless they were flying very low.

You are right about the dome, it would have to be properly maintained to prevent the same thing happening to it.

sjwahwah
20-May-06, 21:00
interestingly, I haven't seen anyone comment on the original thread starters complaint of residential caravans being a problem or eyesore. Then it occurred to me probably because half of the orgers live in them because yes, there is loads of them in Caithness & the rest of the Highlands. I don't live in a caravan... but, I do reside halftime and soon to be fulltime in "alternative/temporary accomodation".

Yes, caravans are very aesthetically unpleasing to the eye & completely uneco-friendly in their manufacture and so on but, alot of people have no choice or do just choose to live in them because they suit them just fine. I think people should be allowed to live in whatever they want and also paint it whatever colour they want.

The council moans about these too but, they also do not build any affordable accomodation and the planning and building warrant people don't allow people to build alot of forms of truly affordable housing. So, I don't understand how they can get off moaning about caravans.

footie chick
20-May-06, 21:15
There is nothing wrong with caravans! not that I live in one a week suits me fine lol.
As for colour of houses it would be a boring world if everyone/thing all looked the same after all variety is the spice of life!
As for the planning office IMO the local councillers should decide on planning issues for the local area as they know it best.

sjwahwah
20-May-06, 21:36
I don't think the planning office knows best as far as "what" people should live in, but, perhaps, where in some cases. If they did have clue,for a start, all houses would face a southerly direction where possible but, I can guarantee only about 10-25% do and that's purely by accident in most cases. But, they should be allowing anyone to live in whatever they want including caravans and they should allow people to build truly affordable eco-friendly housing as long as it is safe and no matter if it is "new and different or considered experimental" types!

As far as eyesores, I consider prefabs and breeze block housing an environmental sore!

bagpuss
20-May-06, 23:40
The undeveloped brownfield sites are my personal bugbear- the old Co-op on Francis street, Richards garage boarded up compound on Loch Street, and the old Lucas Autoparts building behind the Elm Tree petrol station.

What is particularly annoying is that all are in residential areas- and all have the potential to be something much more useful- like houses, flats, offices, shops etc. All were commercial premises that moved on. What i'd dread would be any newer businesses going the same way and elaving the same flak behind.

I notice that the Highland Plumbing offices are for sale- with the instruction that they could be developed into housing- so how about the above following that pattern?

clash67
21-May-06, 13:35
Why? it's now part of Caithness's history,which brought a lot of employment and money in to Caithness, for which, most of the people who are in this county now might not be here.:mad: Yeah money! it might have made a few people better of financialy for a few years but they also ruined our beaches for hundreds of years.
Honestly I wonder how far people will go for financial gain.

trinkie
23-May-06, 10:01
This appeared in the Caithness Courier 1951

Thochts ( On Sad Sichts )
On seeing a row of Derelict Cottages on the Caithness Moorland

By Heilan' Laddie

Wance here far weeds the gairdens hide
An' thatched roofs gape broken till e' sky
'E ploomen an' their families used till bide
Here joy an' sorrow kent in days gone by.

How quate noo, hoo deid they seem
Their walls floo'ered peiper flappin in 'e breeze
Hoo empty rooms far bairns were won; till dream
Hoo purposeless yon totterin elder trees

Here oft at doors on summer nicht
'E menfolk sat an' cracked on chair or stool
An here in winter neath a fitfu licht
'E wee chiels did their lessons for 'e school

'E sw ? till king far mothers bent
An' currant scones on floo'ery girdles fired
An' filled 'e cot we appetisin' scent
As heavy-feeted hom their men came tired !

An' men an wives an bairns are gone
An through 'e empty hooses swirls 'e breeze
Like ever seekin frien's an finding non'
An sighin through 'e useless elder trees.

pultneytooner
23-May-06, 13:03
Yeah money! it might have made a few people better of financialy for a few years but they also ruined our beaches for hundreds of years.
Honestly I wonder how far people will go for financial gain.
It may have brought jobs and money to caithness but it was built here primarily that in the event of an accident only a few thousand would be affected, killed, whatever. Dounreay was a testing ground with absolutely no care or thought for the caithness population, how do they feel to have money and still be worthless?

unicorn
23-May-06, 14:03
The building in Princes street that is falling apart has to be Thurso's biggest eyesore I think. It is high time the situation was resolved and whoever has to fix it, does so!

JimH
24-May-06, 17:02
My wife says my old Sweat shirt is an eyesore - does that count!

Carlo Gambino
24-May-06, 17:13
A certain Taxi firm in Wick, with their hideous advertising slogans on the sides of the cars & one particular car with all over advertising. To me that is a moveable eyesore.