PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook

calish6
03-Mar-10, 21:38
My old computer - worked with Windows XP home and I had Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client.
Bought a new computer (old one died) and it runs on Windows 7.
I have taken the old hard drive out and stuck it in an enclosure so it can be used as backup storage space and I can retrieve all of my pic's and documents, but I have no idea on how to retrieve my old saved e-mails.
For a start, I cant find where they might be stored and secondly I have no idea on how to view them when I find them as I cant load Outlook on Windows 7 - it has this Windows live mail, which I say is taking some time to get used too !!

Forgive me if I am being stupid as it is probably something simple I am missing, but does
anybody have any ideas ?

Bobinovich
03-Mar-10, 22:41
Firstly are you talking about Outlook or Outlook Express (OE) on the old PC? OE would have come as standard but Outlook would have most likely been installed with Microsoft Office.

While there are some differences (mostly for the better) between Live Mail and OE, the Junk Mail Filter in the former definately makes it worth getting used to it.

It is definately possible to locate and import the old e-mails & e-mail addresses into Live Mail however it would be handy to know if you're talking Outlook or OE first.

dx100uk
04-Mar-10, 03:10
yep as bob says, we need to know if you were using outlook or outlook express.
i'd guess outlook.

search the old drive for *.pst files.

thpically thats where your old emails will be
then import that to windows live.

there are ofcourse many other mail programs you could use like incredimail etc.
those are free if you find it was outlook and no longer have a copy, they will easily deal with importing your old mail too.

dx

calish6
04-Mar-10, 21:03
Thanks guys. It was Microsoft Outlook.
I also used Outlook express (at the same time) One was mine and the other was the wifes.

Not too fussed about what was one OE, but there are a couple of important e-mails on Microsoft Outlook.

I will try just now dx suggestion and let you know.

Cheers

calish6
04-Mar-10, 22:09
Ok, I have done the search and found Outlook data files *.pst(folder 200MB) and also *.dbx search and found various folders.
It tells me the location on the hard drive but when I try to find it with the import tool
it doesn't find it. I come to a dead end.

On the search it tells me it is located - documents and settings/computer name/local settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook.

Fair enough, but when I try and search that location manually I get as far as the computer name. No folder with local settings !! or anything else that would point to Outlook. :-/

I have tried every folder I can think of, but I cannot locate these files without doing a search, but I am then stuck on what to do with it so I can read it.

I feel really stupid as I am sure I am missing something very simple !!

dx100uk
04-Mar-10, 22:49
hey getting somewhere.....

now is that 200Mb PST about the date you stopped using it before?

i'm trying to guess why you cant access it......
if it shows in a search, then can you not drag it onto the local drive [C], and import it from there?

what are you now using for you mail by the way, i'e what prog are you trying to put the PST file into? windows live?

dx

dx100uk
04-Mar-10, 22:55
http://blogs.technet.com/james/archive/2007/06/25/import-outlook-pst-into-windows-mail.aspx

is a useful guide to help you.

dx

Bobinovich
05-Mar-10, 01:47
I'm guessing it's because the Local Settings folder is generally hidden. You'll need to go into Explorer then Tools > Folder Options > View > put a dot against Show Hidden Files & Folders (and probably a tick against Hide Protected Operating System Files too for good measure) and then click OK.

Now you should be able to use the Import function of Live Mail and navigate to the folder DX mentioned. Once the import is done you can reverse the hidden & system files options.

calish6
05-Mar-10, 22:44
Hey Guys, thanks so much for the help.

Bob - cheers about the hidden folders. Never thought of that.
Worked a treat for importing OE into windows live.

Didn't work for Microsoft Outlook , but I used dx's recommendation
and I downloaded the Office package 2007, used the New microsoft Outlook
program and replaced the pst file with the old one, and hey presto - all of my old e-mails.

Got 60 days to sift through them and either delete or copy them to a more secure (and easier to find!!) location.

Many thanks again !

dx100uk
05-Mar-10, 23:03
hey shoot - thats what we are here for.

TBH: i didn't mention about un-hiding the files 'cause i thought you'ed be wise to that one. shows i shouldn't assume anything.......

...hehe bob did it again - darn.

good luck

glad to help

dx