PDA

View Full Version : The Youth of Today?

Tugmistress
03-Mar-10, 10:00
Re posted here by request :p

THE SPOILED UNDER-40 CROWD!!! If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!! When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious shite about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a ing Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the bloody library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there!
Stamps were 5 pence!Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick the out of us! Nowhere was safe!There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig? We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mum, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!And you could never win.
The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!
NO REMOTES!!!
There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-rugs!And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the cooker! Imagine that! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You little horrors wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970's or before!

Regards,The Over 40 Crowd

topotheuk
03-Mar-10, 10:47
Now see this is when the .Org should have a function to "like" just like Facebook. I would have clicked "like" on this post. It is funny but sooooo true!!

upolian
03-Mar-10, 11:00
i miss my atari and commodore 64 lol

shazzap
03-Mar-10, 11:01
Ha ha how true.

onecalledk
03-Mar-10, 12:01
your post is so true but unfortunately kids these days live in a different society altogether. I remember when I was little going out with my sister all day on our bikes, going across town (Inverness) and not telling anyone where we were and back for tea. That scenario wouldnt happen these days due to the society we live in. I lived in a street where we knew ALL the neighbours and were in and out of each others houses. That wouldnt happen today with people preferring to keep themselves to themselves. In cities its even worse. BUT the world is changing.

Global disasters, weird weather etc is forcing us to change. How many people during the last madness of the snow actually spoke to a neighbour or checked on someone they didnt know. Probably lots and lots as people are forced almost to pull together in a way they havent done up til now.

Our children now have MORE access to the world and information than ever before and its not always a good thing. We didnt live in fear of being abducted by someone horrible as we KNEW people in the neighbourhood, people would watch out for others. I am not a fan of technology in that it causes more problems than it solves. Its all too easy to sit behind a computer screen and cause chaos. I know some young people in their twenties who actually sit in the SAME room as each other and instant message each other !!!!! YOung people seem to have little social skills and that can be blamed on technology, we went down the pub as teenagers now they prefer to sit in their bedrooms chatting to each other over the web....

But then the generation that came before us probably thought we were spoiled compared to how they grew up!
K

achingale
03-Mar-10, 12:21
Tugs, you have hit the nail on the head! It was so funny to read but also so very true! Maybe we should organise an Over 40 Club for Orgers who can winge about the youth of today :lol:

John Little
03-Mar-10, 12:31
Aye - they don't know they're born...when I was a lad...

We were so poor; the ultimate luxury in our house at the time was ashtrays without advertisements. It was all the wolf could do to keep us away from his door. A luxury meal was prairie sandwiches- two slices of bread with wide-open spaces between them. There were so many holes in my socks I could put them on seventeen different ways.

Chic Murray

porshiepoo
03-Mar-10, 13:35
I'm not even 40 - yet, and even I have to agree. lol.
I used to have to walk over 3 miles to school, then back again - whatever the weather and through a park area known for perverts and which gave me the creeps!
Our TV was one of those huge bulky things with 4 channel buttons only ( I remember channel 4 coming out) and the remote control was us kids.
Once we were lucky enough to get a computer it was a Commodore 64 and to play just a simple game I first had to spend ages typing in the entire game commands.

I do have a lovely memory of Saucy Sponge and Custard for Sunday dinner though!

Hoida
03-Mar-10, 13:58
So true,so very true,no takeaways you were never sure what you would get for your tea on a Thursday night! very often it would be tatties and turnip(out the garden) with a promise of something better on Friday when our dad got paid.

wicker8
03-Mar-10, 14:03
hi you never spoke a truer word it also made me laugh

Saveman
03-Mar-10, 15:20
Please edit the swearing as I would imagine the mods will slap on an infringement.

cuddlepop
03-Mar-10, 16:09
Never a truer word spoken Tuggs.:lol:

annthracks
03-Mar-10, 18:14
Hear bl00dy hear!!

Kirdon
03-Mar-10, 19:30
True but the sun seemed to shine all through the summer holidays and there seemed always to be snow at Christmas for weeks.

weeboyagee
03-Mar-10, 19:34
Haven't been posting on here in ages but laughed at this one when I read it! Only thing was - I had to THINK to remember - which proved I'm over 40! But I do all the things that the younger generation do - and I love it. What does that prove? I'm a big kid at heart really - and the over 40s when I was a kid must've felt the same when they were playing our atari's and space invaders!!!!

WBG :cool:

annthracks
03-Mar-10, 19:35
True but the sun seemed to shine all through the summer holidays and there seemed always to be snow at Christmas for weeks.

I remember roads being flooded from kerb to kerb, but the only really heavy snow I remember was '76 :-)

Kirdon
03-Mar-10, 19:48
I remember roads being flooded from kerb to kerb, but the only really heavy snow I remember was '76 :-)

That was Dounreay that melted the snow up your end, doon in Week we hed snow for weeks.

MR_A
03-Mar-10, 20:22
Funny as anything.

I may not be anywhere near 40 but I totally agree.

Mind you there is no way I'm going back to the Atari 2600 although Centipede WAS brilliant!!!

:lol:

you
03-Mar-10, 21:10
Have been smiling at this thread.
Please, Porshiepoo, can you tell me more baout Saucy Sponge?

northener
03-Mar-10, 22:08
i miss my atari and commodore 64 lol

I miss my commode.

Blarney
03-Mar-10, 22:49
I miss my commode.
Must make an awful mess on the floor. Try to aim better in future[lol]

Blarney
03-Mar-10, 23:36
Never mind Commodores and the like, the over-fifties had nothing more high tech than draught boards, snakes and ladders and dominoes....but we had the great outdoors and and an even greater imagination! You wouldn't dare to say that you were bored because before you knew it you would be sent off to the shop, mowing the grass, washing up or some other chore to fill your time. Maybe that's what's wrong with kids nowadays; not enough of them have to do chores. When was the last time you saw a youngster mowing the lawn?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Mar-10, 23:37
Mind ma older folk saying to me as a kid.We drank the milk straight fae the coo.We ate aw the fat fae the bacon and pork chop.We ate aw the stuff that wis oot aw date.Aye the young folk today no nothing,thats why their living till 100 instead of 70.

(No laughs this time cos aw the biy missing fae Lybster.)

jock leith
03-Mar-10, 23:55
Re posted here by request :p

THE SPOILED UNDER-40 CROWD!!! If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!! When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious shite about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a ing Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the bloody library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there!
Stamps were 5 pence!Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick the out of us! Nowhere was safe!There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig? We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mum, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!And you could never win.
The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!
NO REMOTES!!!
There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-rugs!And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the cooker! Imagine that! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You little horrors wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970's or before!

Regards,The Over 40 Crowd

"Great thread" kid's are very spoilt today with material things, and do not know or understand how things were in the 50"60"70".I asked a youngster not long ago if he had heard of Sheffield Wednesday (football team) and he thougth it was a new bank holliday.
Regards JDL

Whitewater
04-Mar-10, 00:25
Tugmistress, you gave me a good laugh, but I like the things kids do now. Even got my own Wii, it's pretty tough going at times trying to keep up with my grandsons, but great fun.

It is a different world today, I loved growing up in the late 40s & 50s. We played football, tennis, climbed trees, swam in the harbour, roller skated all day long, played badmington in the winter, sledging, slides and snowball fights. It was what you made it yourself. The kids now have just as much fun, but it is different in this world that is moving along at an incredible pace, the kids all do well just to keep up with and enjoy modern technology, it is what their future depends on.

Aaldtimer
04-Mar-10, 04:21
..."The kids now have just as much fun, but it is different in this world that is moving along at an incredible pace, the kids all do well just to keep up with and enjoy modern technology, it is what their future depends on."...

Aye, trouble is Whitewater, most of it's done sitting on their bahoukis!:confused

ducati
04-Mar-10, 10:24
[quote=jock leith;670103I asked a youngster not long ago if he had heard of Sheffield Wednesday (football team) and he thougth it was a new bank holliday.
Regards JDL[/quote]

So did I, and I am 50 [lol]

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:06
I myself happen to be part of the "youth of today" as you put it. Im sixteen, from Caithness, and whilst you seem to find some form of comedy value from what you have written, i don't. Fair enough i can see where your coming from, but u didn't need to put it in such harsh terms, and patronise us kids..."they dont know or understand...". We're only growing up with whats around us, the same as you grew up with what was around you. We're not going to reject the social changes and technological factors that are arising all of the time just because our parents never had that element to enjoy. Yes, alot of kids do take it for granted how lucky they are with what they have, but there are a minorty out there that understand the privelages they get. Im always very grateful to my parents for anything they give me such as material posessions and dont ever think of myself as a 'spoiled little rat rug' as you branded us bairns. Quite frankly, i disagree with your statement and find it quite offensive. Better go now, to play my WII (i have a wii fit aswell) whilst downloading some music, listening to my ipod and texting at the same time. Might even go crazy and "walk across the room to turn the tv on" , instead of using the REMOTE!!!!!;)

Tugmistress
04-Mar-10, 21:10
Oh wind your neck in DB - note the question mark and the sticky out tongue :)

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:14
Its meerely my opinion of what you wrote, i think if anyone should be "winding their neck in" its you..having a rant about folk my age. You should chill out about it, otherwise it will only reflect age....

northener
04-Mar-10, 21:15
I myself happen to be part of the "youth of today" as you put it. Im sixteen, from Caithness, and whilst you seem to find some form of comedy value from what you have written, i don't. Fair enough i can see where your coming from, but u didn't need to put it in such harsh terms, and patronise us kids..."they dont know or understand...". We're only growing up with whats around us, the same as you grew up with what was around you. We're not going to reject the social changes and technological factors that are arising all of the time just because our parents never had that element to enjoy. Yes, alot of kids do take it for granted how lucky they are with what they have, but there are a minorty out there that understand the privelages they get. Im always very grateful to my parents for anything they give me such as material posessions and dont ever think of myself as a 'spoiled little rat rug' as you branded us bairns. Quite frankly, i disagree with your statement and find it quite offensive. Better go now, to play my WII (i have a wii fit aswell) whilst downloading some music, listening to my ipod and texting at the same time. Might even go crazy and "walk across the room to turn the tv on" , instead of using the REMOTE!!!!!;)

Shut up, go up to your room and think about what you have just said.

When you come back down you must apologise to the grown-ups and promise not to stomp off in a huff any more - otherwise it's no new bike for Xmas, me laddie.

(BTW welcome to the .Org;))

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:18
Yea, thats a real mature way to speak to a sixteen year old, just because a lot of people my age act in certain ways, doesn't mean we are all the same. Treat the minority of us with respect, and not like infants.

ducati
04-Mar-10, 21:20
Its meerely my opinion of what you wrote, i think if anyone should be "winding their neck in" its you..having a rant about folk my age. You should chill out about it, otherwise it will only reflect age....

Don't worry DB09 they're just jealous ;)

I'm not, I've got a bigger motorbike than you [lol]

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:23
[lol][lol]..

ducati
04-Mar-10, 21:23
And Tugmistress and Northener-quite a feat, offending someone on their first post-Cudos:cool:

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:26
You can understand where im coming from, it would be a different situation if a group of youngsters started a thread ranting about the over 50's and how they sit too close to the tele with the volume on 98 etc [lol]...;)

ducati
04-Mar-10, 21:31
You can understand where im coming from, it would be a different situation if a group of youngsters started a thread ranting about the over 50's and how they sit too close to the tele with the volume on 98 etc [lol]...;)

Eh? You'll have to speak up a bit Sonny-Nurse, NURSE!

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:33
Hahaha [lol][lol], im only messing with ya, my mums over 50 and she has e tele quieter than me..

The Drunken Duck
04-Mar-10, 21:40
Crikey .. DB got ambushed there good and proper. Ouch.

The youth of today are alright, no worse then we were it just seems that with much more media coverage the bad eggs get much more publicity these days and a negative view gets re-inforced. Although it is fun listening to teenagers bleat after being told the guy kicking their backsides online in Modern Warfare 2 is nearly 40.

DB09
04-Mar-10, 21:43
Ambushed? i think not. i believe it was me who did the ambushing, theres just no one else my age on this to stick up for me [lol]. Yea your right about the media etc,..its not fair!

young_fishin_neep
04-Mar-10, 22:08
Ambushed? i think not. i believe it was me who did the ambushing, theres just no one else my age on this to stick up for me [lol]. Yea your right about the media etc,..its not fair!

actualy im not much older than yourself and i find the origonal post (wich happens to be from an email) very amusing :P

its the org, you have to learn not to take things to heart!

Vistravi
05-Mar-10, 00:11
Yea, thats a real mature way to speak to a sixteen year old, just because a lot of people my age act in certain ways, doesn't mean we are all the same. Treat the minority of us with respect, and not like infants.

i'm only 5 years older than you so you're not alone in the youngster class of orgers ;)

You'll soon find though that most of the orgers on here are fairly light hearted in their banter. Just dinnae get involved in a serious debate with Fred or Starvo. They'd have you at the pc all night:lol:

Advice to surrive on the org: Rhino thick skin and keep it light. You'll do fine if you keep to that. ;)

golach
05-Mar-10, 00:13
Shut up, go up to your room and think about what you have just said.

When you come back down you must apologise to the grown-ups and promise not to stomp off in a huff any more - otherwise it's no new bike for Xmas, me laddie.

(BTW welcome to the .Org;))
LMAO, well said N

Vistravi
05-Mar-10, 00:25
actualy im not much older than yourself and i find the origonal post (wich happens to be from an email) very amusing :P

its the org, you have to learn not to take things to heart!

I recongised it myself. I've been sent the same thing in an email :lol: it is quite amusing.