PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish on Beaches

saffy100
02-Mar-10, 16:57
Went for a walk in the lovely sunshine yesterday and my poor dog went down a bank only to impale herself on an old rusty creel pot. She tore herself free before i could get to her which resulted in 3 staples in her chest, but luckily nothing more serious.

The amount of rubbish and scrap metal that had been dumped was awful and as i found to my poor dogs expense...dangerous.

Such a shame in such a lovely area.

:-(

bettedaviseyes
02-Mar-10, 17:05
i know how you feel my dog loves the beach he goes crazy when we say we are going there:lol: any how last year someone left a half broken fish rod on the beach with 3 fish hooks on the end of it of course poor dexter my dog was the one that suffered they got stuck up this nose had to take him to the vet where he had to get an operation poor thing was sooo scared then come the vet bill......[disgust]

saffy100
02-Mar-10, 17:09
Poor dexter.....i hope he is ok now. My pup is very sore but lucky she never punctured something.

Kathy@watten
02-Mar-10, 17:16
I also have had a run in with rubbish on the beach, my horse was cut with broken glass on the beach which someone kindly buried rather than put in the bin....cut her fetlock quite badly and it fair spoilt my Sunday treat to the beach. It so easily could have been a childs foot, not that my horse isn't important but imagine if it had been a wee kiddy? It was not even in an unused sort of area was only about 200yrd from the car park where I know there are bins. Thoughtless gits!

Sage
02-Mar-10, 17:22
Rotary club beach cleans should probably be starting soon. There are usually a bunch of us that go down to Thurso beach at least once a month and rid the beach of rubbish. It's a losing battle but you wouldnt believe some of the rubbish we pick up.

A lot of the rubbish comes from ships travelling through the Firth unfortunately and get deposited.

If anyone fancies helping us the dates are normally on the noticeboard in Thurso by the council offices. :D It doesnt take long when there are a good number of us and it really does make a difference.

saffy100
02-Mar-10, 17:31
Rotary club, i would have gladly volunteered as it is a bug bear of mine, but unfortunately i am moving in a couple of weeks and won't be around. But it's nice to know other people notice this problem, a shame for the people that have had bad experiences.

changilass
02-Mar-10, 17:32
Do they do Castletown beach, cos I wouldn't mind helping out if there was somewhere to put the rubbish when you collected it.

sandyr1
02-Mar-10, 17:53
Was down at Lybster Harbour one evening about 2 years ago, and a van came down and for approx 5 mins 2 young guys threw junk on the South side near the new Cafe...then they had lots of fun breaking a large amount of glass.
Yes something was done...strange mentality nowadays.

Sage
02-Mar-10, 18:24
Im not sure Changilass, I know Thurso Rotary club do Thurso beach throughout the summer as I go along. Will try to find out though.

Perhaps some locals could get together to do something regularly (need to be regular of people will tail off). All you need are bin bags, stout gloves for protection and perhaps a van to move the rubbish to the tip.

It's actually a pleasant way to pass the odd hour (or even 1/2 an hour)

changilass
02-Mar-10, 18:28
Cheers for that Sage.

Years ago you used to see tractors raking the beach and getting rid of the seaweed.

So much tidier and didn't smell so bad lol.

Seaweed is supposed to make good plant feed.

Gronnuck
02-Mar-10, 19:30
Went for a walk in the lovely sunshine yesterday and my poor dog went down a bank only to impale herself on an old rusty creel pot. She tore herself free before i could get to her which resulted in 3 staples in her chest, but luckily nothing more serious.

The amount of rubbish and scrap metal that had been dumped was awful and as i found to my poor dogs expense...dangerous.

Such a shame in such a lovely area.

:-(

Which beach was this?

Sage
02-Mar-10, 19:40
Just asked hubby and he says that years ago a group in Castletown used to do their beach, so it looks like perhaps they dont anymore?

Unfortunately (or not if you're one of the cleaning group) Thurso Rotary only do Thurso beach. But it wouldnt take much for a volunteer group to start a beach clean :)

Sarah
02-Mar-10, 19:52
Sorry to hear about your dog :( I have been through the same, my dog ripped his chest open from his neck almost to his willy, when he ran over some barbed wire on the beach. How on Earth he survived is beyond me, the vet still cannot believe he survived. When I look back at the photos of him in the car on the way to the emergency vet, its hard to believe it!

I do wish people wouldn't leave junk on the beach :(

saffy100
02-Mar-10, 20:04
OMG...Sarah, how awful...i would have been a wreck...i was when my pup got stuck on the pot, but that sounds horrific. I am so glad to hear he survived.

It was a beach up at John O' Groats, all along you can see where farm equip and wire has been dumped down the bank, and old creels etc.

Its the same on Castletown beach in places too.

dragonfly
02-Mar-10, 20:28
Unfortunately (or not if you're one of the cleaning group) Thurso Rotary only do Thurso beach. But it wouldnt take much for a volunteer group to start a beach clean :)

I don't know her name but there is a lady who goes to Thurso beach every morning and evening and collects all the rubbish lying around even to the extent of cleaning up after lazy dog owners - she's a gem

Sage
02-Mar-10, 21:20
I'll have to keep an eye out for her, although now we live out of town I dont go down there as often as I did (must remedy that!)

It would be nice to let her know she's appreciated :)

Mik.M.
02-Mar-10, 21:47
I don't know her name but there is a lady who goes to Thurso beach every morning and evening and collects all the rubbish lying around even to the extent of cleaning up after lazy dog owners - she's a gem
I`ve spoken with this lady several times,she deserves some recognition for all the hard work she does,for free!
I`ve posted before about lazy dog owners along the beach and Victoria Walk.What must tourists think of Thurso? Dog crap capital of Caithness.

horseman
03-Mar-10, 02:10
I was going to say -you guys must be clocking flotsam an jetsum,but from the over all input-well it sounds big bad time. What a shame there are such meatheads about.

RELAX
03-Mar-10, 09:03
Its not just rubbish on the beaches , you only have to walk around thurso and see litter all over the place , what amazes me is when i see litter on or around peoples gardens that never gets picked up and these are houses with families , so no "pick up your litter" lesson being preached here , no pride at all , I have also seen this lady that is mentioned picking up litter on thurso beach early on sunday mornings , she is a gem . Also their is litter outside of pennyland primary school yet i cannot see any litter bins nearby , not to mention a prickly hedge "just about the height of a childs face" right outside of the main gate entrance waiting for someone to walk or run into it, compensation just waiting to happen here.

saffy100
03-Mar-10, 11:50
Some of it is undoubtably flotsum and jetsum, but the majority is old farm machinery, an old washing machine on Castetown, rolls of wire (including barbed), glass and scrap metal....mostly. A lot is fly tipping, probably by nearby houses.....its a shame.

ter21wat
03-Mar-10, 11:56
We have beautiful beaches up here and everyone should make an effort to keep them clean!! In Shetland they have an annual event called the 'Da Voar Redd Up' where load of people volunteer to have a mass clean up of the beaches and roadsides. Perhaps something like that could be started up here? Get the council, schools and local groups involved etc, I'd certainly be up for it. I have added a link with some information http://www.egcp.co.uk/EGCPPublications/documents/DaVoarReddUpReport.pdf Its the only one I could find.

saffy100
03-Mar-10, 11:58
Also to add, it's bug stuff, too big to shift and in some parts inaccessable by vehicles...other that the one that went acrros the field to dump it, so a beach combing session would be futile.

ter21wat
03-Mar-10, 12:03
Also to add, it's bug stuff, too big to shift and in some parts inaccessable by vehicles...other that the one that went acrros the field to dump it, so a beach combing session would be futile.

I wouldnt say a beach combing session would be futile - if it removed glass, netting, plastics etc from the beachs surley this would be a start. And if an effort was being made by the community prehaps it would give the council a nudge to remove the bigger objects?

Sage
03-Mar-10, 13:46
As long as everyone is careful when they're handling rubbish it's definitely not futile.

For the bigger pieces a call to the council may be all that's needed (well, you never know :roll: )

At the Rotary beach cleans we have grabbers too for people to use, although I think they're the property of a Rotary member.

If anyone is seriously considering doing a beach clean I can ask around for any information on what's needed etc, or better still someone could ask at the council service point, Im sure they know all the information.

Plus its a great way to build a bit of community spirit ;)