PDA

View Full Version : Good deeds!

KCI
02-Mar-10, 14:15
Does anyone else find that people nowadays just don't appreciate it, if you do a good deed for them?

If someone goes out of their way to help you in some way, is it too much to expect them to show a tiny bit of gratitude?

Sorry - rant over!:eek:

Kathy@watten
02-Mar-10, 14:42
Oh yes I personally have found a few good deeds have back fired and bitten me in the bum recently! I am being more careful as to whom and when good deeds will be done, harsh but true. I would however help a dog/animal/elderly person etc. Actually think good deed doing is high on my agenda...do as you would want done to you etc..but some folk take the biscuit a bit then it's no longer a good deed it is taking advantage!

Invisible
02-Mar-10, 15:51
Yes I know what you mean, held the door open for an old wifie and I presume her grandchild in a pram, didn't even get a thank you and to add insult the stole my place in the bakery que.

ducati
02-Mar-10, 16:18
Yes I know what you mean, held the door open for an old wifie and I presume her grandchild in a pram, didn't even get a thank you and to add insult the stole my place in the bakery que.

Good deeds cost pies!

ShelleyCowie
02-Mar-10, 16:30
Im quite lucky, the good deeds i do are appreciated.

And i appreciate them back, lately people from the org have pulled through for me. Liz and Bobinovich especially.

A massive favour that Liz done for me i can not thank her enough, to the point she has told me to stop thanking her :lol:

And Bob....my good friend bob! The other night he went to tesco and whilst he was there he got me irn bru!!!! Now thats a saint in himself. I adore his kids, especially his wee lassie. i did ask if i could keep her but he said no :( lol

Good deeds will be returned to these 2 lovely people in some way. :Razz

poppett
02-Mar-10, 17:25
Would rather do a good deed than bad, but I have learned not to expect a "thank you" for the door held open, the shopping packed, and anything remotely resembling old fashioned good manners.

Going the extra mile for someone has cost me dear in the past, not a lot in money terms to them perhaps, but a small fortune to me. Makes you wary in the future.

changilass
02-Mar-10, 17:33
Its nice to be nice, but I will not allow myself to be walked all over.

S&LHEN
02-Mar-10, 18:26
Weve noticed :lol::lol:

Its nice to be nice, but I will not allow myself to be walked all over.

Serenity
02-Mar-10, 18:32
Agree with both Shelley and Invisible. Good deeds are generally appreciated and I show appreciation when someone does something nice to me. On the other hand holding doors open for strangers etc is often downright ignored.

S&LHEN
02-Mar-10, 18:38
Totally agree just a shame not everyone thinks the same.:~(

Agree with both Shelley and Invisible. Good deeds are generally appreciated and I show appreciation when someone does something nice to me. On the other hand holding doors open for strangers etc is often downright ignored.

Serenity
02-Mar-10, 18:47
I have to admit I am quite a shy person and though I always make sure I say thanks to someone who holds a door etc they may not hear it lol. Maybe this is the case sometimes? I'm trying to improve this because theres nothing embarrassing about being polite.

ShelleyCowie
02-Mar-10, 18:48

I have to say alot of people hold doors open for me with the pram, with my old pram which was really quite big i struggled with some heavy doors.

I always say thank you when im going through aswell. :D

Liz
02-Mar-10, 19:20
Im quite lucky, the good deeds i do are appreciated.

And i appreciate them back, lately people from the org have pulled through for me. Liz and Bobinovich especially.

A massive favour that Liz done for me i can not thank her enough, to the point she has told me to stop thanking her

And Bob....my good friend bob! The other night he went to tesco and whilst he was there he got me irn bru!!!! Now thats a saint in himself. I adore his kids, especially his wee lassie. i did ask if i could keep her but he said no lol

Good deeds will be returned to these 2 lovely people in some way.

Aw bless you Shelley. You are very welcome and, yes it is true, that you were so grateful I had to tell you to stop thanking me!:lol:
As for Bob it is really good of him but isn't he feeding your 'habit'?!:roll::lol:

Dadie
02-Mar-10, 22:14
Oh im appreciating my sis taking Lauren to nursery ....(wont say it though)
I had a small accident moving furniture... I dropped a sofa on my left foot when Lauren jumped on it and sliced the skin off my big toe and the toenail is going black so will prob lose that too....
I cant find anything comfy to wear on my feet ... and couldnt face walking with the double buggy and the other 2!

unicorn
02-Mar-10, 22:30
I must admit I have had a few occasions in the past few years when I have gone out of my way to help people and ended up with not a word of thanks or even worse hassle after it so I am a bit more reluctant to actually help people out these days.
I don't like that either though as I like to help people out where I can as that is generally my nature but I think I may need to follow Changi's advice. :lol:

changilass
02-Mar-10, 22:33
I was always told to help anyone once, but if they use you as a doormat remember it and don't let them do it again.

Someone using you once, is a bad reflection on them, letting them do it twice reflects on yourself.

unicorn
02-Mar-10, 22:46
Thats very true changi :D

Hoida
13-Mar-10, 14:20
I have always tried to help people in the past but have had aright scunner. Sent something in post to a fellow orger who in turn sent a cheque which has bounced and although have pm'd person I have never had a response. So beware .I know it was only £5 but it is beter in my pocket than hers!!:~(

Kevin Milkins
13-Mar-10, 15:02

I always say thank you when an old wifie holds a door open for me.;)

The Drunken Duck
13-Mar-10, 15:36
Does anyone else find that people nowadays just don't appreciate it, if you do a good deed for them?

If someone goes out of their way to help you in some way, is it too much to expect them to show a tiny bit of gratitude?

Sorry - rant over!:eek:

Erm .. yes.

Last year I had just done a weekly shop when I got called away for a three week trip. As my fridge was full of stuff I decided to give all the perishable stuff to my neighbour (who is a single mum living on benefits) rather than put it in the bin.

It was a fair bit of stuff and all she did was take the bag, look inside and ask "Don't have any Pizza's do you ??", while I just stood their open mouthed. I didnt even get a thank you.

Didnt do it again.

DeHaviLand
13-Mar-10, 16:22
About 6 years ago, I had a delivery at a house in Golspie. Chapped the door and got no reply, but I could smell smoke coming from inside the house. So, I tried the door, which turned out to be unlocked, and opened it to be met by a wall of thick smoke. I made my way to the kitchen where a pot was busy melting away on the cooker. I lifted the pot outside and extinguished the flame with an old jacket that I had in the van. Went back inside and opened all the windows, then went to the neighbour and told her what had happened.

Feeling rather pleased that I may just have averted a serious housefire, I made my way back to the depot. When I got back, the householder had been on the phone to my boss to complain about me entering her house without permission. :(:roll:

Bazeye
13-Mar-10, 17:05
Last week an old dear asked me if I could see her across the road so I crossed over and shouted back to her "YES".

horseman
13-Mar-10, 19:55
About 6 years ago, I had a delivery at a house in Golspie. Chapped the door and got no reply, but I could smell smoke coming from inside the house. So, I tried the door, which turned out to be unlocked, and opened it to be met by a wall of thick smoke. I made my way to the kitchen where a pot was busy melting away on the cooker. I lifted the pot outside and extinguished the flame with an old jacket that I had in the van. Went back inside and opened all the windows, then went to the neighbour and told her what had happened.

Feeling rather pleased that I may just have averted a serious housefire, I made my way back to the depot. When I got back, the householder had been on the phone to my boss to complain about me entering her house without permission. :(:roll:

That really takes the biscuit, you must have done well to hold your self in.

wicker8
13-Mar-10, 20:11
you know my saying is its nice to be nice but you have to draw a line some see your niceness as a weakness