PDA

View Full Version : Runners on Road

veekay
02-Mar-10, 10:28
Have to say I have noticed a lot of runners on the roads lately. Probably because my OH is now running again. What I have also noticed it the appalling way in which a lot of drivers are treating these runners. It seems to be funny to tear up behind the runner and pull out to overtake at the last minute. NOT FUNNY just b....y dangerous. OK so you have paid your road licence that doesn't give you the right to endanger life. So please if you are driving and see a runner - or cyclist or horse rider or walker for that matter - show some common sense and a little courteousy.

bekisman
02-Mar-10, 10:33
Have to say I have noticed a lot of runners on the roads lately. Probably because my OH is now running again. What I have also noticed it the appalling way in which a lot of drivers are treating these runners. It seems to be funny to tear up behind the runner and pull out to overtake at the last minute. NOT FUNNY just b....y dangerous. OK so you have paid your road licence that doesn't give you the right to endanger life. So please if you are driving and see a runner - or cyclist or horse rider or walker for that matter - show some common sense and a little courteousy.

Not being funny (as used to do a lot of running myself) but always -where possible - ran, facing oncoming traffic - at least I'd know what hit me then!

upolian
02-Mar-10, 11:03
common sense to run against traffic not in front of it??

veekay
02-Mar-10, 11:41
Agree fully but sometimes on the very narrow roads you dont' have a lot of choice and whether you are facing or not the silly beggers still seem to want to play chicken

Jeid
02-Mar-10, 11:56
common sense to run against traffic not in front of it??

This.

It's common sense to walk/run towards traffic so you can hop/skip/jump out of the way if a car loses control. Mind you, perhaps not knowing your impending demise is better.

ducati
02-Mar-10, 12:18
Walking home down the road the other day about 4 miles facing traffic wearing high vis coat on 2 lane road (last mile in the dusk) I lost track of the number of times I had to dive into the ditch to save my life.

I suspect it was you lot :lol:

Gronnuck
02-Mar-10, 12:20
:) I would hope that being in a less populated area of the country there would be enough room for everyone to be a bit more considerate of others. IMHO what draws people to this part of the far north is the warmth and kindness of the people. So let’s hope that this extends to our use of the roads.
OK the better weather brings out cyclists, runners and even slow moving motor homes but it’s a sure sign that warmer weather is just around the corner so let’s all enjoy it please. ;)

porshiepoo
02-Mar-10, 12:32
I now consider myself a runner and I was up at 6am this morning dressed and raring to get out despite the snow pouring down, but I had to wait till it was light enough!

I've found most drivers to be quite considerate, however I was running the Achavanich road the other day and a driver of a red van was not going to slow down for love nor money.
I don't mind jumping on to the side if I have to but I twisted my ankle doing it once so I'd much rather get over as much as I can without having to stop or leap the sides.
This particular van driver just carried on at his usual speed. I'll admit he did move over but I definitely saw a wobble from the back of the van as it hit mud!
It really doesn't take too much time and effort to slow down just a bit does it?

As for which side of the road to run on, each to their own I say. If I'm rounding a tight corner I'd much rather be on the side that's easiest for traffic to see me - whether that be left or right.
I started off running on the left but the camber left me with a dodgy shin on my left leg so I always run on the right now - shin problem all gone!

Leanne
02-Mar-10, 12:32
The number of runners running at night without hi-vis is quite scary. Black coat on a black road on a black night is a recipe for disaster. Wearing hi-vis gives a few seconds longer warning for drivers.

porshiepoo
02-Mar-10, 12:33
The number of runners running at night without hi-vis is quite scary. Black coat on a black road on a black night is a recipe for disaster. Wearing hi-vis gives a few seconds longer warning for drivers.

And something to aim for.......;)

Jeid
02-Mar-10, 14:24
And something to aim for.......;)

It does detract from the "surprise kill" element though ;)