PDA

View Full Version : What PA are people Gigging with?

BigKev
01-Mar-10, 20:23
Leading on from the other thread in this section of the site i became curious about what other bands were using when playing in the pubs and halls in caithness?

What kind of setup do you use?
Is is adequate/ loud enough for the venues you typically play?
How easy is it to transport? (most people dont have access to a van!)
What route would you reccommend taking if you were starting out?

moncur
01-Mar-10, 20:50
Our PA is basically Thomann's own brand active speakers for both monitors and Front of House. We've also started using a Yamaha MG mixer. Its probably too loud for what we need but nevermind. We've used it without much problems in Y-Not before.

When we were just an acoustic set it was fairly easy to transport the PA & guitars in the back of ma fiesta, but now we have a fourth member and have some electric guitar involved I'm going to have to hitch the trailer back on now!

I'm still learning so I cant give much advice. But I would advise guitarists not to use the biggest and loudest amps ever made as theres really no need for them when playing small venues and they're just a pain to lug around.

fred
02-Mar-10, 08:23
Leading on from the other thread in this section of the site i became curious about what other bands were using when playing in the pubs and halls in caithness?

When I first started playing with a band back in nineteen rumpty tump I played some pretty big halls with a 30w amp.

The thing to remember is that doubling the power doesn't double the loudness, a 60w amp isn't twice as loud as a 30w amp, you need a 300w amp to be twice as loud as a 30w amp and a 3,000w amp to be twice as loud as that.

Chobbersjnr
03-Mar-10, 22:51

just put my rig together for my solo act "Direct Injection"

quite compact & could fit into the back seat of a car

2 guitars.Godin Electric with piezzo & synth access & a low tuned guild. Beta57 vocal mic, Rocktron Chameleon rack preamp for the electric, Ravenlabs acoustic blender preamp, Roland GR33 synth, TC electronics M-one, mackie desk & 2x KX audio 12+horn active cabs at 500watts p/side.

best advice, try & keep it simple.....I did say try:)

it works great so far (fingers crossed & praying to the electronic gods)

theweemidget
07-Mar-10, 00:03
currently my pa is an old peavey mixer with an h/h 800 watt power amp running into a pair of jamo pro 200s and a pair of 1x12 celestion powercell bass bins although i need to upgrade the speakers and add an active crossover but i don't have the dosh yet to do that.

chobbers good synth man love the roland gr33 so versatile esp if you use it with pc i like using mine with reason for the organ sounds.

BigKev
11-Mar-10, 23:31
We have a Db Technologies set up nearing completion, speakers are in the post that is. Really looking forward to trying it out. We also have a couple of JBL monitors.
Im currently looking around for a 31-band eq, for each of the monitor sends, amazing the amount of headroom gained by notching back a touch. Anybody got one going spare?

Cazaa
12-Mar-10, 22:50
I know that it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the posts but I recently had the opportunity to perform through the Birmingham University's BEAST system:

http://www.beast.bham.ac.uk/about/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_ElectroAcoustic_Sound_Theatre

Not quite a rock/gigging PA as you are describing but, wow - what a sound!