PDA

View Full Version : potholes everywhere

Doreen
01-Mar-10, 17:50
What a mess the roads all over the town are theres potholes everywhere i find its hard on the car wheres our council tax we py going its a disgrace im constantly having to dodge the holes especially the bridge.

bekisman
01-Mar-10, 17:53
Just come back to Thurso from Wick (via Watten) and the Council is working hard on the A9 road - north of roadside - filling in the holes.. might eventually sort the ones out by the lights near Tesco.

ss.sv650
01-Mar-10, 18:02
log on to www.fixmystreet.co.uk and tell them where

surley if we all do it they will take note

COME ON ORGERS BOMBARD THEM AND MAKE THEM SORT IT,

and on a more selfish note calling all bikers can you really work out a safe route round them all and avoid a trip to the hedge at 30 mph or at best pay for the fork seals that will burst on a trip through an unseen hole or the ripped tyre wall and dammaged wheel

get onto it and see if our hard earned heavily taxed pennies can be put to good use.

Invisible
01-Mar-10, 18:07

and on a more selfish note calling all bikers can you really work out a safe route round them all and avoid a trip to the hedge at 30 mph or at best pay for the fork seals that will burst on a trip through an unseen hole or the ripped tyre wall and dammaged wheel

get onto it and see if our hard earned heavily taxed pennies can be put to good use.

safest route is to drive on the pavement:D

ss.sv650
01-Mar-10, 18:10
safest route is to drive on the pavement:D

could be right but can we put the pedestriens on the road otherwise they would only get in the way and complain a lot

no wait cant do that cos they would fall in the pot holes and then need rescued from the depths:lol:

ShelleyCowie
01-Mar-10, 18:15
Pentland-Mirth is right, its the cold/freeze thats gotten to them. My mum complains about how she nearly has to go on the other side of the road to avoid some really large potholes.

hopefully come spring/summer the council will start to sort it.

EDDIE
01-Mar-10, 18:19
I can never remember a winter were the cold has affected the roads so bad with potholes it must be a nightmare if u have a motorbike i wonder if countrys like russia which have worse winters than us have this problem to?

The Angel Of Death
02-Mar-10, 00:10

Doesn't make any difference i noted twice potholes at the bottom of norcote street and ironically enough that was where i put a shocker out on the car one letter to the council later on and i got one back telling me to whistle apparently although the potholes were bad there not bad enough to warrant compo for damage done

sids
02-Mar-10, 01:06
I'm on the road between Wick and Thurso every day right now and it's getting worse. The road accross from the shop in Watten is disolving. My car is knackered with it all. It must be an impossible task like painting the Forth Bridge lol.

Bazeye
02-Mar-10, 01:57
I'm on the road between Wick and Thurso every day right now and it's getting worse. The road accross from the shop in Watten is disolving. My car is knackered with it all. It must be an impossible task like painting the Forth Bridge lol.

Thats nothing compared to Blackburn, Lancashire.

sids
02-Mar-10, 02:04

Ha ha the country is falling apart lol Imagine it's same all over.

ss.sv650
02-Mar-10, 08:01
Doesn't make any difference i noted twice potholes at the bottom of norcote street and ironically enough that was where i put a shocker out on the car one letter to the council later on and i got one back telling me to whistle apparently although the potholes were bad there not bad enough to warrant compo for damage done

it dose but its like everything else in this world you just have to keep at them i have used it before and it took several times but harressing them pays off in time just keep at it

Cattach
02-Mar-10, 08:43
What a mess the roads all over the town are theres potholes everywhere i find its hard on the car wheres our council tax we py going its a disgrace im constantly having to dodge the holes especially the bridge.

Let us have sypathy for the council! It has been a dreadful winter and the whole country has been subject to this long period of cold weather. We have not had huge volumes of snow but frost and snow has always been there this winter. Council workers will be vilified for not clearing the roads of ice and snow if they work on the potholes - no win situation. I have watched cars (lots) everyday speeding through the town and through the potholes and those people will be the first to complain about damage and, of course, they are making the potholes worse by digging them deeper with their speed.

Stack Rock
02-Mar-10, 09:21
Let us have sypathy for the council! It has been a dreadful winter and the whole country has been subject to this long period of cold weather. We have not had huge volumes of snow but frost and snow has always been there this winter. Council workers will be vilified for not clearing the roads of ice and snow if they work on the potholes - no win situation. I have watched cars (lots) everyday speeding through the town and through the potholes and those people will be the first to complain about damage and, of course, they are making the potholes worse by digging them deeper with their speed.

Well put - with the prolonged sub zero temperatures the Council men are out gritting hence the pot holes can only get repaired when weather conditions and resources permit.
When I was in Nova Scotia few years ago I came accross numerous sections of severely pot holed roads - obviously the road surface broke up due to their winter conditions.

upolian
02-Mar-10, 10:07
i know of somebody that hit a pothole and had to replace there alloy wheel! on an expensive car aswell.....id be stone mad!

ShelleyCowie
02-Mar-10, 10:14
I can never remember a winter were the cold has affected the roads so bad with potholes it must be a nightmare if u have a motorbike i wonder if countrys like russia which have worse winters than us have this problem to?

When i was 16 i had a scooter (hairdryer also known as) and dodging pot holes was horrible back then, there was a really bad line of then going past the holbourn to sandras snack bar, had to basically drive in the middle of the road to avoid them.

Also Fix my street does work eventually. I posted about a piece of pavement that had been dug up just round the corner from me, it was awful because school kids used to play around with the cones, jump in the hole aswell which was dangerous.

It took a few weeks to get a proper response but in the end they said they would fill it in, and they did. It had been dug up for nearly 9 months by then.

dirdyweeker
02-Mar-10, 10:29

You can all make a difference by calling 01955 607702 to report "problem potholes". The Council are doing their best to "patch" them but obviously the more we identify the less bumps we should have. If we were all to phone and report 'bad ones' perhaps we would see an improvement, if not at least we will have tried.

Stick
02-Mar-10, 13:04
Dam south road is especialy bad, cant swing over over and miss them all :mad:

Stack Rock
02-Mar-10, 22:40
Dam south road is especialy bad, cant swing over over and miss them all :mad:

Scotland Transerve are doing repairs today opposite the Harmsworth.

Tristan
03-Mar-10, 08:15

Never had this type of problem in Toronto which can also have wet and alternate warm and cold winters. I believe they use a higher grade tarmac to begin with to withstand the colder temperatures and the melting freezing cycle.

Stick
06-Mar-10, 23:36
Scotland Transerve are doing repairs today opposite the Harmsworth.

About time :)

northener
06-Mar-10, 23:40

You should ride a GS like me, then you can do that deliberately.:Razz;)

northener
06-Mar-10, 23:44
It would be unrealistic for the Cooncil to be expected to repair all the winter damage to the roads in such a short timescale. There's masses of lumps missing out of sections that were fine last October.

Mind you, some sections have been crap for a long, long, time.....I think maybe some of the 'Road Tax' we pay ought to be used on the roads occasionally?

The Angel Of Death
07-Mar-10, 01:13
It would be unrealistic for the Cooncil to be expected to repair all the winter damage to the roads in such a short timescale. There's masses of lumps missing out of sections that were fine last October.

Mind you, some sections have been crap for a long, long, time.....I think maybe some of the 'Road Tax' we pay ought to be used on the roads occasionally?

Equally so there are masses of sections of the road in various places that have been pretty bad for quite some time they are aware of them and for reasons unknown to me been left to sit in that state leaving us the motorist to pick up any repairs for damages because the council don't see them as one of the main cause of damage

In my case the bottom of nortcote street was reported to them months and months ago (by myself and probably others) and its still sitting in just as bad a mess as it was when I burst my shocker 4 months ago

You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath on them fixing the major ones any time soon for example watten beside the shop and the lay by a few miles outside of thurso coming towards wick I think I actually seen someone climbing out of it with ropes and a climbing pick the other day

bobbyrussell09
07-Mar-10, 20:33
foot any bills to the council ,see if that gets it sorted lol

The Angel Of Death
07-Mar-10, 20:51
foot any bills to the council ,see if that gets it sorted lol

Bill was footed to the council got a nice letter back advising me to take a long walk off a short pier

bobbyrussell09
07-Mar-10, 21:05
Bill was footed to the council got a nice letter back advising me to take a long walk off a short pier
ah well ,worth the try lad

superceltic
07-Mar-10, 23:45
the worst has to be south rd!! its awful! my car is lowered aswel so its like traveling in a simulator! :lol:

The Angel Of Death
07-Mar-10, 23:52
the worst has to be south rd!! its awful! my car is lowered aswel so its like traveling in a simulator! :lol:

You'll be on for suing the council till repair all your loose fillings next me thinks ;)

Tubthumper
07-Mar-10, 23:56
..it's like travelling on a stimulator! :lol:

I didn't think they made them that big!:eek:

Neil Howie
08-Mar-10, 00:05
It is a disgrace that a car driver's first experience of Wick is a bone-shaker.

Surely it can be no coincidence that the retail/shopping unit and the state of the road (in my opinion) got worse at the time the unit was constructed several years ago.

I feel it would have been appropriate that they should have been made to contribute to the main road at the time.

In terms of the wider scale of things, maybe we can sell our potholes, like Germany ?? here (http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5315642,00.html)

First saw on yahoo, googled new link.

ducati
08-Mar-10, 00:05
You should ride a GS like me, then you can do that deliberately.:Razz;)

Bits keep dropping off mine-what are we talking about? :eek:

ducati
08-Mar-10, 08:56
It is a disgrace that a car driver's first experience of Wick is a bone-shaker.

Surely it can be no coincidence that the retail/shopping unit and the state of the road (in my opinion) got worse at the time the unit was constructed several years ago.

I feel it would have been appropriate that they should have been made to contribute to the main road at the time.

In terms of the wider scale of things, maybe we can sell our potholes, like Germany ?? here (http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5315642,00.html)

First saw on yahoo, googled new link.

I like that, how about Ducati's Dip :cool:

Seabird
10-Mar-10, 20:04
It's not just the pot holes around the County causing problems. Yesterday i got a nasty chip in my windscreen and today almost hit a car when i slid past a passing place that i intended to stop. The cause grit and granit chips that were used by the Council when salt supplies ran low. It's like trying to brake on ball bearings. Very much a case of being alert to the condition of the road you are driving on and not taking anything for granted for some time to come.

luskentyre
11-Mar-10, 00:13

Ha ha - I got it...

("A day in the life" - The Beatles)