PDA

View Full Version : Marks and Spencers coming to Wick

watman
15-May-06, 23:19
Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco. The bosses were up enquiring abouth employment situation in county and have said they are commited to building a store along side matalan next to tesco and pizza hut

Victor Vendetta
16-May-06, 00:09
Well done for the royal burgh.
All we need now is for Ikea to open up next to the new sports centre in Halkirk, Next to open up beside Asda's in Thurso and the new national nuclear waste repository dug into the hillside at Shebster opposite Dounreay.
Ooops! shouldn't have let the last one slip out sorry.

Fran
16-May-06, 01:19
Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco. The bosses were up enquiring abouth employment situation in county and have said they are commited to building a store along sid

e matalan next to tesco and pizza hut

You wish !!!!!

laguna2
16-May-06, 08:24
Well done for the royal burgh.
All we need now is for Ikea to open up next to the new sports centre in Halkirk, Next to open up beside Asda's in Thurso and the new national nuclear waste repository dug into the hillside at Shebster opposite Dounreay.
Ooops! shouldn't have let the last one slip out sorry.

[lol]

If you are going to start rumours, make sure that you get your facts right - as far as I am aware, Shebster is not opposite Dounreay!

janette
16-May-06, 09:09
Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco. The bosses were up enquiring abouth employment situation in county and have said they are commited to building a store along side matalan next to tesco and pizza hut

and pigs are flying all around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angela5
16-May-06, 09:24
and pigs are flying all around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big pink one's!!!!!:lol:

98elite
16-May-06, 09:28
[lol]

If you are going to start rumours, make sure that you get your facts right - as far as I am aware, Shebster is not opposite Dounreay!

I think you will find that Shebster Hill is exactly where Victor V says, unless they have moved it, for years the water supply for Dounreay has come down the hill from Shebster water treatment plant on to the site.

candyfloss
16-May-06, 09:43
[quote=watman]Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco. The bosses were up enquiring abouth employment situation in county and have said they are commited to building a store along side matalan next to tesco and pizza hut[/quote
I hope its all true,would be great,how do you know all this is going to happen Watman?

dunderheed
16-May-06, 10:13
i heard "cash converters" are moving to the area too, to buy up all the unwanted impulse buys everone are making in the new shops :Razz

janette
16-May-06, 12:32
i heard "cash converters" are moving to the area too, to buy up all the unwanted impulse buys everone are making in the new shops :Razz

and the brown bins, supplied for garden waste, are filling up nicely with the plants bought and put in gardens without being hardened off and getting frosted

scorrie
16-May-06, 13:29

I am sure they won't be needed. Cole's Law states that "The available budget expands naturally, in direct proportion to the amount of outlets available to consume that budget"

This, of course, contradicts those old adages "Ne'er cast a Kitchen till May be oot" and "Dinna tak yee a new Bathroom if there be an APR in the month"

Wick must be the new millionaire's row judging by all these new megastores opening. Thar's gold in them there tills!!

pultneytooner
16-May-06, 13:37
Haven't marks and spencers got a place at the falls of shin, if there why not here but can you afford their over-inflated prices.
You never know, it could be a national nuclear waste repository that is the reason for all the activity in caithness, who knows but whatever it is it certainly won't be for our benefit i.m.h.o.

dunderheed
16-May-06, 13:50
Haven't marks and spencers got a place at the falls of shin, if there why not here but can you afford their over-inflated prices.
You never know, it could be a national nuclear waste repository that is the reason for all the activity in caithness, who knows but whatever it is it certainly won't be for our benefit i.m.h.o.

close its actually harrods

scorrie
16-May-06, 15:19
You never know, it could be a national nuclear waste repository that is the reason for all the activity in caithness

I thought it was a Nuclear Waste Suppository ;o)

Countryman
16-May-06, 15:40
[lol]

It is n a straight line over the hill and far away but you will be able to see the Ormlie wind farm from Dounreay but not from Ormlie

rfr10
16-May-06, 16:56
As I stated a while ago now in my "Shops" thread. Matalan and Marks and Spencer have no plans to open a store in Caithness. That information was given to me by their property development department.

Take a look at http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=9709

ice box
16-May-06, 17:28
Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco. The bosses were up enquiring abouth employment situation in county and have said they are commited to building a store along side matalan next to tesco and pizza hutNever heard so much rubbish they'll be telling us next that NASA want to setup a space centre and giving out discount flight to the moon ... don't believe every thing you hear .

pultneytooner
16-May-06, 18:05
I thought it was a Nuclear Waste Suppository ;o)

[lol]That was my first thought as to where they can shove it.;)

Victor Vendetta
16-May-06, 18:52
Thanks to Countryman for pointing out to Laguna2 the relationship between Shebster and Dounreay.
I maybe didn't make it clear enough, sorry.
In actual fact the hill behind the Dounreay water plant at Shebster is the location I had in mind.
Also a good point about the Ormlie wind farm.
I heard they were going to get the rug pulled out from under them there but then someone pointed out that some of them have rugs on top of them !!!
I didn't know what they mean't can anyone help?

obiron
16-May-06, 19:23
Never heard so much rubbish they'll be telling us next that NASA want to setup a space centre and giving out discount flight to the moon ... don't believe every thing you hear .

would be cool though. [lol]

happy_83
16-May-06, 21:02

Oh how i wish it were true! Some of the food at M&S is the best around, especially there giant cookies :p

Though i really don't see it not with Asda and Tescos. I would say we could do with a decent music / book store but i guess like most other things Tesco's will have that area covered

bagpuss
16-May-06, 22:38
If the Orkney tunnel was built that would put their 50 mile radius catchment into a much more realistic spectrum.

Why do all the incoming firms want to be out of town? There are so many brownfield sites in Wick- so many eyesores that could be potential stars

Personally i'd like M&S- if only a food outlet. Perhaps swine will take flight before this happens, but.....

perhaps our Rob has given them ideas?

Not so sure about the fast food folk and the Matalan influx.

One colleague claims we can stick all the shops we like in Wick- she'll still shop in Inverness- says its the day out of the county she's after.

Oh dear- more food for thought. As for the falls of Shin Harrods, please can Mr Fayed make it sell other things apart from soap and shortbread?

And please can we get a local flagship store- in the town centre- for Mey Selections.

Geo
17-May-06, 02:11
Yes its ture Marks and Sparks are coming to wick. They are building next to tesco.

"This isn't just a rumour. It's a carefully constructed rumour, lovingly hand crafted from the finest rumour mills in the country and brought to you from the far reaches of Caithness, beautifully prepared by the best craftsmen the far north has to offer."

"This isn't just a rumour, it's a Marks and Spencer rumour."

;)

landmarker
21-May-06, 21:31
The best possible despository for nuclear waste lies near Folkestone. It's called the channel tunnel. Just seal it in the middle. There will be a few decades worth of space under there. The white elephant might take on a whole new glow but at least it will be serving a useful purpose at last.

Bingobabe
21-May-06, 22:32
So are we getting marks and sparks or not?

ice box
21-May-06, 23:47
So are we getting marks and sparks or not?
Afraid not were not that lucky .

willowbankbear
22-May-06, 08:59
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4305/nonsensepigs0ra.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mccaugm
22-May-06, 09:26
So what other shops are "officially" coming to the area? I am delighted that Tesco and Asda are heading this way. Saying that if we keep the rumour mill churning do you reckon the shops we mention will take the hint. Seems that the petrol companies up here are making the money as we all head south to buy our clothes, cars, groceries, electrical equipment etc...so lets hint for a Currys, Next and Arnold Clark outlets....:roll:

Geo
22-May-06, 10:05
I've heard nothing but bad customer reviews of Arnold Clark.

Naefearjustbeer
22-May-06, 10:18
Wouldnt want a markies to my mind it is overpriced and the quality of stuff isnt really worth the extra cost, I only use the place in Inverness as a shortcut if I need to go out of the centre. Are there enough markies type people in the county? Take a look next time you are in. There are women of a certain age wearing very similar clothes wandering around. And then nervous young girls looking for the first bra because thats where mam went to get her first bra!!

There is a definite markies type and one you learn to recognise them you will hardly ever see them in any other shop.

Rheghead
22-May-06, 12:16
The best possible despository for nuclear waste lies near Folkestone. It's called the channel tunnel. Just seal it in the middle. There will be a few decades worth of space under there. The white elephant might take on a whole new glow but at least it will be serving a useful purpose at last.

I'm not sure about that one. The French must generate more waste than us so they might get the lions share of the space available and I hate it when the French get one over us.:Razz

pultneytooner
22-May-06, 13:27
So what other shops are "officially" coming to the area? I am delighted that Tesco and Asda are heading this way. Saying that if we keep the rumour mill churning do you reckon the shops we mention will take the hint. Seems that the petrol companies up here are making the money as we all head south to buy our clothes, cars, groceries, electrical equipment etc...so lets hint for a Currys, Next and Arnold Clark outlets....:roll:
We had a currys shop here years ago.

souperman
22-May-06, 13:58
"This isn't just a rumour. It's a carefully constructed rumour, lovingly hand crafted from the finest rumour mills in the country and brought to you from the far reaches of Caithness, beautifully prepared by the best craftsmen the far north has to offer."

;)
Brilliant...took a few seconds to sink in but well worth the wait....

willowbankbear
22-May-06, 14:18
Rant time-

While were on the what we we want theme, I want a decent car hire firm in Wick ,instead of over priced sharks ripping the eyes out of me when I hire a car, Its true & ye know it is, So Arnold Clarks would be fine by me.

Rant over, I feel fine now[lol]

Geo
22-May-06, 14:44
Brilliant...took a few seconds to sink in but well worth the wait....

At last someone got it! :)

JAWS
22-May-06, 16:41
Rant time-

While were on the what we we want theme, I want a decent car hire firm in Wick ,instead of over priced sharks ripping the eyes out of me when I hire a car, Its true & ye know it is, So Arnold Clarks would be fine by me.

Rant over, I feel fine now[lol]
Do they still have mileage charges? The last time I saw them must be over 30 years ago, I couldn't believe they still had them when I hired a vehicle up here.

willowbankbear
22-May-06, 17:10
Do they still have mileage charges? The last time I saw them must be over 30 years ago, I couldn't believe they still had them when I hired a vehicle up here.

Aye they do, £30 a day to hire a car from Arnold Clark, No mileage charges.
Airport in Wick,for 5 days they wanted £450, as they say in Spain , NO way jose! I got the bus to Inverness picked up the car & still saved £240 after we`d paid bus fares & our petrol.

Rheghead
22-May-06, 17:40
I did hear that Debenhams are coming as well and they want to pay for the dredging of the foreshore to Dounreay and Sandside as a pre planning sweetener.
:eyes

scorrie
22-May-06, 18:45

;)

Very humourous play on their advert. Tried to leave you some +rep not sure if it went through. Good stuff.

zappster
22-May-06, 19:32
what next....A Hard rock cafe in Haster??

obiron
22-May-06, 19:33
what next....A Hard rock cafe in Haster??

very funny. can you imagine it. hee hee[lol]