PDA

View Full Version : Brown bears

Tom Cornwall
01-Mar-10, 11:41
I've just seen on 'the Wright Stuff' that some people are planning on releasing brown bears into the "wilds of Scotland".....I thought the wolf people were mad but these people must be stark, raving bonkers

Gronnuck
01-Mar-10, 12:18
:eek: I can't see it being as easy as just opening a cage and letting a couple of bears run loose. There will have to be all sorts of hoops for the sponsors to jump through and it might take years. :confused
At the end of the day the decision has to be made by the people who live and work the land not some tree-hugging earth-mother/father sitting in Westminster or Edinburgh.

butterfly
01-Mar-10, 14:36
According to THE BRITISH BROWN BEAR COMMISSION they have already released a breeding pair.:eek:

ducati
01-Mar-10, 15:01
According to THE BRITISH BROWN BEAR COMMISSION they have already released a breeding pair.:eek:

"Members of the public are requested not to approach, or attempt to feed the bears. They are being fed at specific locations by the BBBC. Please keep all food out of reach of the bears as they will attempt to steal it."

Quote from the Torridon Mountain website

Good luck wrestling a Brown Bear for your piece :mad:

http://www.torridonmountains.com/bbbc.htm

catherine nicol
01-Mar-10, 15:46
Are you winding me up? Brown Bears wandering loose?

ducati
01-Mar-10, 15:59
Are you winding me up? Brown Bears wandering loose?

It might be a windup the web page looks pretty low rent, but I dont know.

Tubthumper
01-Mar-10, 17:28
Mercedes the Polar Bear seems quite happy in her new home at Kincraig. Maybe we could take some of the homeless ones from Canada and let them roam. Cute they are, just like big Westies!

ss.sv650
01-Mar-10, 17:53
I've just seen on 'the Wright Stuff' that some people are planning on releasing brown bears into the "wilds of Scotland".....I thought the wolf people were mad but these people must be stark, raving bonkers

mad for supporting a creature that woz butchered because we did not understand how to live with and alongside it, which numerous studies have proved that re introduction has helped restore the ballance of nature in those areas.

sorry not meaning to hi jack this thread in any way !!!

Boozeburglar
01-Mar-10, 18:36
numerous studies have proved that re introduction has helped restore the ballance of nature in those areas

Can you link?

George Brims
01-Mar-10, 18:54
Calm down people. I live in California, where there are a lot of brown and black bears. In 20 years here I haven't heard of anyone being hurt by one. When a bear makes the news it's usually video of it being tranquilized and taken away when it's wandered into the suburbs. There has been more trouble with mountain lions, which do kill people from time to time, though pit bulls etc score more frequently.

ducati
01-Mar-10, 19:05
Calm down people. I live in California, where there are a lot of brown and black bears. In 20 years here I haven't heard of anyone being hurt by one. When a bear makes the news it's usually video of it being tranquilized and taken away when it's wandered into the suburbs. There has been more trouble with mountain lions, which do kill people from time to time, though pit bulls etc score more frequently.

I think currently, we are more concerned with their comedic value than environmental impact George.

Green_not_greed
01-Mar-10, 19:16
Is this them?

http://operachic.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c83e69e2011278db44f328a4-800wi

sandyr1
01-Mar-10, 19:17

Tom....I found the bears...I found the bears...Kodiak has them all!!

And the bares....Are on the Calender site!!! c 4 ursel!

George Brims
01-Mar-10, 20:44
...and don't forget about the L.A.P.D.
They're not so bad these days. They aren't shooting half as many people as they used to, though they took some stick (pun intended) for the use of riot gear and excessive force at a May Day thing a couple years back. Rule 1: Don't whack the journalists. Rule 1a: Especially when some of them are on camera.

ss.sv650
02-Mar-10, 08:05
Can you link?

if you are seriously interested then i can give you the names of several books i have studied on the subject which i have.

ducati
02-Mar-10, 10:11
On the web site, they are asking people if they spot the bears, to take a grid reference and let them know. Does this suggest they may have "mislaid" them? :eek:

Kenn
02-Mar-10, 10:29
Humm, some one got their dates wrong? It's was March 1st not April 1st!

Commore
02-Mar-10, 11:03

I thought the wolf people had a dream, were ambitious but unfortunately they had not the backing, financial or otherwise,

Brown bears, are no different.

These animals once roamed these lands, they only were separated by sea as the islands drifted apart,
I cannot see a huge problem here, with these ideas of re-introducing these wild beasts,
lets face it, how many people do you know who regularly go out into the wilds of Scotland?
Too few, I suspect to mention.
;)

Tom Cornwall
02-Mar-10, 12:17
[QUOTE=ss.sv650;668864]mad for supporting a creature that woz butchered because we did not understand how to live with and alongside it, which numerous studies have proved that re introduction has helped restore the ballance of nature in those areas.
QUOTE]

Even though, I think it's a bit wrong to try to reintroduce it to Scotland, bearing in mind, the stupid hill walkers and climbers who pay no attention to weather warnings, are they going to pay any attention to 'Beware of the Bears' warnings...that'll be the next news item.."Climber eaten by bears"...stupid!!!

northener
02-Mar-10, 14:16
http://www.mibepa.info/bb/pics/bb022-a.jpg

ducati
02-Mar-10, 16:13
http://www.mibepa.info/bb/pics/bb022-a.jpg

Can anyone else see this?

Look at Northeners location. Thats where the bears are!

George Brims
02-Mar-10, 18:25
Even though, I think it's a bit wrong to try to reintroduce it to Scotland, bearing in mind, the stupid hill walkers and climbers who pay no attention to weather warnings, are they going to pay any attention to 'Beware of the Bears' warnings...that'll be the next news item.."Climber eaten by bears"...stupid!!!

Perhaps they would pay attention to this notice, allegedly from the State of Montana.

MONTANA GRIZZLY BEAR NOTICE
In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper.