PDA

View Full Version : Superdrug?

Bobinovich
15-May-06, 20:20
Anyone hear on the Caithness rumour-mill that Superdrug has already decided to close? Seemingly they've not met a single target in the 3 weeks they've been open.

Rumour or true?

moose and Lindsay
15-May-06, 20:31
I also heard that and the same goes with "New look"

footie chick
15-May-06, 20:35
The last twice I was in Superdrug it wasnt very busy at all. Hope they dont close either of the new shops:(

Billy Boy
15-May-06, 20:41
surely they would give it more than 3 week's, must be the caithness rumour mill going in to overdrive:roll:

MagicalTrevor
15-May-06, 21:11
No offence but that (if true) would be hilarious, predictable and deserved. Damn corporations.

bagpuss
15-May-06, 21:12
Superdrug are staying open until the same hours as Honebase and Argos- and while people may need to popo out to buy a TV aerial or a slow cooker of an evening, they may have less need of aftershave or paracetamol. New Look supposedly close at 5.30 pm on some evenings- but are in fact open until about 8 as well.

It's a huge shop- with nice wide aisles- but no wheelchairs on offer for the very people who might take advantage of the cionvenient hours and space.

I get the feeling the poor manager is stressed out by the lack of custom.

Thankfully though, Boots seems to have fought off the competition.

Keep in mind that these are very big spaces- I'd have been less surprised had they gone to multi retail operators like Outfit- lots of labels in one store.

New Look is huge- and they have to turn over so much per sq foot.

I think the real winners have been Homebase and Argos.

Watch out for Tesco though- they usually include a pharmacy in their bigger stores- perhaps that's whats prompted this rumour?

angela5
15-May-06, 22:39
Rumour mill in overdrive again.
A store can't be busy all day everyone has quiet periods. If i went into boots the chemist and found it to be deathly quiet i would not assume they are closing. Semi-chem are now closing for an hour at lunchtime.....I wonder.:roll:

Woolie
15-May-06, 22:44
as for new look can't see it too much demand for a place like that.

krieve
15-May-06, 22:45
I can't see them closing Super Drug, I was in Boots at the end of last week and there was only two customer's in the shop.

Fran
16-May-06, 01:27
I would hardly think the new shops are considering closing down after only being there for a couple of weeks. It takes time and they are not properly established yet. Im sure they would give it at least a year.
meanwhile, in wick, the hardware shop has closed down, the music shop has closed, Meiklejohns sweet shop has been taken over but their tea room is to close, and whatsits are to open a tea room next door to their shop.
Something must be happening in the long time empty bible shop in thurso Road as I see it was being decorated today. mowats old shop is still empty and has been for a long time.

JAWS
16-May-06, 01:40
Sounds more like the fantasy hopes of the doom-mongers to me.

I can't help but wonder how Wick managed to get all those new fangled electric street lights up and running. The candle-makers obviously didn't scream loud enough about it.
They were right about one thing though, when the Electric Companies pull out of Wick you'll regret having lost the Candle Factory because you'll all be sitting in the dark! [lol]

bagpuss
16-May-06, 22:44
Not a doom monger at all- I rather like Superdrug, and i'd much rather it stayed open in Wick-

As for the other sites, all sorts of rumours abound about M&S etc.

I was always under the impression that before any retail giant opened anywhere that people were sent up on a recce to check the area out and find out the state of health of the local economy....

ice box
16-May-06, 22:57
Cant see new look shutting it does doors it's the only decent clothes shop up here.

It alway seems busy when i pass must be making something .

JAWS
17-May-06, 01:44
Not a doom monger at all- I rather like Superdrug, and i'd much rather it stayed open in Wick-

I was always under the impression that before any retail giant opened anywhere that people were sent up on a recce to check the area out and find out the state of health of the local economy....
They usually do an awful lot of research including shopping trends, competition, population, including demography and growth patterns.
The only reason they get do large is that they do their homework about the area they are considering moving to.
They don't get as large as they do by constantly getting it wrong. They might make the occasionally error, but they don't all make the same error at the same time in the same place.

Lucy
17-May-06, 08:41
meanwhile, in wick, the hardware shop has closed down,

I was speaking to the owners who said that the shop has been bought by some-one who is changing it to an antiques shop.

angela5
17-May-06, 09:24
I was speaking to the owners who said that the shop has been bought by some-one who is changing it to an antiques shop.

yipee! just what we need in the town centre an antiques shop.[smirk]

wee_princess
17-May-06, 20:13
I have heard loads of rumours that Superdrug are shutting aswell. I know for a fact that they are meeting all their targets and there has been no plans atall to shut the shop. I think it's brilliant having all these new shops coming to Wick. I don't know why there are so many people being so negative about it. Some people are never happy!!

krieve
17-May-06, 20:55
you a right wee princess some people are never happy! There are always people who can't help but grumble about everything. I really can't see them shutting superdrug, i think that it's just the grumble chops who have nothing positive to say spreading rumors. lol

misty woman
17-May-06, 21:13
heay pal i really dont care if every shop in wick closed lol i'm not moaning about i just think all these new shop are being builded in wick for WHAT? its good for employment but less face it wick is poverty and alway will be???????This is compleatly uncalled for!how dare you.

luskentyre
17-May-06, 21:15
heay pal i really dont care if every shop in wick closed lol i'm not moaning about i just think all these new shop are being builded in wick for WHAT? its good for employment but less face it wick is poverty and alway will be???????

That's what I like to see - a nice positive outlook!

misty woman
17-May-06, 21:18
why? come on its truewHAT a sad person you are!

angela5
17-May-06, 21:19
heay pal i really dont care if every shop in wick closed lol i'm not moaning about i just think all these new shop are being builded in wick for WHAT? its good for employment but less face it wick is poverty and alway will be???????

What a great attitude, just what wick needs.[mad]

krieve
17-May-06, 21:20
Mad Wicker, why do you never have anything positive to say?

ullevi
17-May-06, 21:20
Buided is that a new word I have missed out on

angela5
17-May-06, 21:23
Buided is that a new word I have missed out on
[lol] It does have an l.....builded!! :lol: new to me.

krieve
17-May-06, 21:28
Where do you live Then Mad Wicker ?
why would you even want to be associated with Wick as you seem to hate the place so much?

angela5
17-May-06, 21:35
yawn yawn yawn come on people i'm jst telling it how it is i really dont care you people really need to get a life wick this wick that.... i'm glad a left cos lets face it....its full of drugies alcoholics and low life unemployed people. enjoy your little town wickers.

I have lived in wick all my life. I am neither a druggie, alcoholic and i'm not unemployed.
I enjoy living in wick it has lot's of wonderful friendly people. It is people like you that try to give wick a bad name.
When did you ever see wick with druggies rolling up a joint on the main street, alcoholics lying on street corners, queue's of unemployed people stretched all the way over the service bridge.
Grow up madwicker, let's be glad you no longer reside in sunny wick.

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 21:40
All places have druggies, alcoholics, unemployed people and no doubt where you live mad wicker is the same and has druggies, alcoholics and unemployed people but where you live probably has them on a far bigger scale than wick will ever have.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 21:41
Anyone hear on the Caithness rumour-mill that Superdrug has already decided to close? Seemingly they've not met a single target in the 3 weeks they've been open.

Rumour or true?
I heard they were looking for an under-manager, if true, hardly the move of a shop under threat of closure.

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 21:43
I have lived in wick all my life. I am neither a druggie, alcoholic and i'm not unemployed.
I enjoy living in wick it has lot's of wonderful friendly people. It is people like you that try to give wick a bad name.
When did you ever see wick with druggies rolling up a joint on the main street, alcoholics lying on street corners, queue's of unemployed people stretched all the way over the service bridge.
Grow up madwicker, let's be glad you no longer reside in sunny wick.
Well said Angela

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 21:44
Well said Angela Mad Wicker24 is just, well, erm,.......MAD.;)

angela5
17-May-06, 21:44
my god sunny wick lol you live in lala land open your eyes and look around you wick is far from sunny lol

Eh'm nope never been near the teletubbies..:eek:

scrapydoo
17-May-06, 21:45
thank you for seeing same views as me but the others jst gang up yes every were you go these's druggies i live in st andrews never seen 1 there yet but i'm sure there is?
Who are you thanking for agreeing with you ?

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 21:50
I take it you have a job, madwicker24, I take it the qualifications for your job must be breathing?

krieve
17-May-06, 21:53
You really need to get a life mad wicker and grow up!

krieve
17-May-06, 21:59
Are you not a wicker yourself then mad wicker ?

Praetorian
17-May-06, 22:07
Go back to washing your spuds and stay there. ST Andrews are full of americans so no wonder you think your better than the rest of us. Once a Wicker always a Wicker and a mad one at that go audition for big brother!!!!!

bingo1
17-May-06, 22:14
You certainly like to go out with a bang!!! Your barred for life!! hahaha you make me laugh.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 22:15
[lol]he must be well paid for peeling spuds.[lol]

bingo1
17-May-06, 22:19
he must be well paid for peeling spuds.[lol]
She is a well paid chef.;)

bingo1
17-May-06, 22:21
Oh My God Ha You Are Soo Barred. I Cant Beleive You. Ho Trust You. It Always Has To Be You.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 22:22
She is a well paid chef.;)
I'm surprised she could read a menu, never mind prepare one.

Praetorian
17-May-06, 22:22
I don't remember seeing a Pizza Hut in St Andrews.

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 22:23
I don't remember seeing a Pizza Hut in St Andrews.

Didn't know they had chefs in pizza hut either;)

Praetorian
17-May-06, 22:26
must be the time of the month - do you suffer from tourettes

Fran
17-May-06, 22:30
i'm surprised at you Mad Wicker - - - giving all this abuse to caithness peoplefrom all around the world (not just wickers on here you know) and letting everyone know your job and what hotel you work in. Have you not thought that someone could report you to your employer for all this verbal abuse. Life and the place you live is what you make it, so good or bad, its up to you. life is short so make the most of it and enjoy it. you are obviously a bit down just now, so cheer up.:(

pultneytooner
17-May-06, 22:31
i'm surprised at you Mad Wicker - - - giving all this abuse to caithness peoplefrom all around the world (not just wickers on here you know) and letting everyone know your job and what hotel you work in. Have you not thought that someone could report you to your employer for all this verbal abuse. Life and the place you live is what you make it, so good or bad, its up to you. life is short so make the most of it and enjoy it. you are obviously a bit down just now, so cheer up.:(
How hard can it be to get another job as a kitchen assistant?

angela5
17-May-06, 22:33
How hard can it be to get another job as a kitchen assistant?
Pan scrubber..these jobs are easy to come by.

Praetorian
17-May-06, 22:43
get a life

ice box
17-May-06, 23:39
I see this is another one thats gone way off topic ...

angela5
17-May-06, 23:41

Hardly surprising is it.:roll:

ice box
17-May-06, 23:45
Some people take things to serious and to far.

All that coz super drug might close i think there more to life than worrying about tiny thing that might never happen .

JAWS
18-May-06, 04:45
Don't worry, the distraction has been made to go away!
I was in Homebase tonight and there were quite a few people in there, I'll certainly be going back, I saw things of interest that I haven't seen for years.

vodkaman
18-May-06, 12:10

M&S have no plans to open a store in Caithness.

gadc4474
18-May-06, 15:54
Superdrug closing down is just one of the many romours going around wick which are untrue, so hopefully the people of wick will soon realise never listen to idle gossip as it just gets you no where!

angela5
18-May-06, 15:58
Superdrug closing down is just one of the many romours going around wick which are untrue, i should know i work there so hopefully the people of wick will soon realise never listen to idle gossip as it just gets you no where!

Wick rumour mill was in overdrive again.:roll:

scrapydoo
18-May-06, 16:02
Superdrug closing down is just one of the many romours going around wick which are untrue, i should know i work there so hopefully the people of wick will soon realise never listen to idle gossip as it just gets you no where!
Thanks for setting the record straight.

ice box
18-May-06, 16:09
OK then so super drug aint closing down yippee thats that sorted

so when are they starting on tescos? that what i like to know

angela5
18-May-06, 16:12
OK then so super drug aint closing down yippee thats that sorted

so when are they starting on tescos? that what i like to know

Fast on the keyboard there icebox...:lol:

ice box
18-May-06, 16:15
Fast on the keyboard there icebox...:lol:Like eh blink of an eye lol;)

Saveman
18-May-06, 16:21

Well thats good news

Bingobabe
18-May-06, 17:41
I hope all of the shops remain open as it it so great to have so many new shops.Im a big fan of new look so i would be gutted if they close and i find it unlikely that they are going to close as what other clothes shops do we have?:Razz

Fran
19-May-06, 15:19

Rumour or true?

RUMOUR and not true. as you will see from to-days paper, all the new shops have reported above target sales so far and are all very pleased. NO shops are closing.

Fran
20-May-06, 00:51
Talking of rumours and closing shops etc........the harbour cafe in wick has been sold but it will NOT be an indian restaurant as is the rumour going around.
an indian couple have purchased it but will keep it and the staff exactly the same as it is now.

Bingobabe
20-May-06, 15:01
Talking of rumours and closing shops etc........the harbour cafe in wick has been sold but it will NOT be an indian restaurant as is the rumour going around.
an indian couple have purchased it but will keep it and the staff exactly the same as it is now.Good to know i pop in there most mornings on my way to work.

willowbankbear
20-May-06, 16:42
an indian couple have purchased it but will keep it and the staff exactly the same as it is now.

Glad to hear theyre leaving it the same as its a handy place to nip into when Ive run out of something & its after 8pm, electricity cards , phone top up cards etc.

drains8
21-May-06, 17:23
Rumour mill in overdrive again.
A store can't be busy all day everyone has quiet periods. If i went into boots the chemist and found it to be deathly quiet i would not assume they are closing. Semi-chem are now closing for an hour at lunchtime.....I wonder.:roll:
Semi Chem dose not close for lunch it is open from 9am --- 5.30pm

connieb19
21-May-06, 17:40
Semi Chem dose not close for lunch it is open from 9am --- 5.30pmI think the eyes rolling was a clear signal that Angela5 was being sarcastic.:roll:

angela5
21-May-06, 17:45
I think the eyes rolling was a clear signal that Angela5 was being sarcastic.:roll:

I certainly was not being sarcastic it was closed at 1.15pm that particular day i was down the street, i was surprised! i did not imagine it, all the lights were off.:confused

angela5
21-May-06, 17:47
Semi Chem dose not close for lunch it is open from 9am --- 5.30pm

That's what i thought, i'm not telling lies, it was closed one lunch-time.