PDA

View Full Version : compensation

highlander
15-May-06, 19:13
I was reading an article on-line, how a miner started work at the age of 14.
He died after spending half a century underground. In return his family was only offered £7.13 in compensation.
Thousands of miners with chronic chest disease have been paid less than £100 under a programme that the solicitors earned 20 times as much as the case.
Newly released details of the 7.5 billion scheme, th largest in the world, expose the way in which public money has benefited law firms more generously than pitmen and thier familys.
The law firm that handled the case of the miner only receiving £7.13, earned
41 million.
When i first started reading this article, i thought i was reading about some third world country, but not so, this is british miners.
Dealing with the claims of 3.949 miners who each received less than £100 in compensation, cost the taxpayer £15.3 million.
Thirteen law firms have been paid more than 10 million each for thier work.
Where is the justice in this?

Billy Boy
15-May-06, 19:40
there is no justice,it's a case of the rich getting richer and the poor can sod of grrrrrrrrr[evil]

toodiemac
15-May-06, 22:46
I wonder what will happen with the (second) compensation claim for people who were in Christmas Island when they did the atom bomb tests? These guys were there because they were called up for National Service (not through choice) and the mushroom cloud floated back over their heads. No protective clothing, only shorts and t-shirts. I wonder how the stuff falling out of the big cloud affected them?

Does anybody know someone who was there in the 50's (around 1958)? Love to hear from anyone else who experienced it.

Whitewater
15-May-06, 23:11
I did work with somebody at Dounreay who was at Christmas Island for the Atom Bomb test, but I'm not sure if he is still alive.