PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection in Halkirk

daviddd
28-Feb-10, 13:48
I haven't had broadband (internet or e-mail) at home in Halkirk since around 10 last night. The phone is working fine, and the Windows diagnostics says to plug in the ethernet cable. The cable is still connected, hasn't been disturbed recently, and I've wiggled it around to no avail. The ethernet light on the router is not lit. I'm with Plusnet - there are no problems listed on their website for Halkirk, and BT don't have any either it seems. Any ideas guys?

NickInTheNorth
28-Feb-10, 15:49
If the ethernet light is not lit then almost certainly the problem is with the ethernet side of things rather than your adsl connection.

Try a different cable, failing that unplug the cable from both ends and reconnect.

Still no connection - reboot the router

daviddd
28-Feb-10, 16:11
If the ethernet light is not lit then almost certainly the problem is with the ethernet side of things rather than your adsl connection.

Try a different cable, failing that unplug the cable from both ends and reconnect.

Still no connection - reboot the routerThanks Nick - what do you mean (in layman's terms lol) by the 'Ethernet side of things' - that it can only be the cable or router that is at fault?

I guess if it's the router I need to get on to Plusnet.

dx100uk
01-Mar-10, 01:45
unplug the ethernet cable [the cable between your pc and the router] at each end and reseat it.

if that does not work

turn the mains off to the router for 30 secs and repower it.

the issue will not be with anything to do with your plusnet connection.
even if the 'phone line' to your [adsl] router is out/faulty, you should still get an ethernet connection.

if that does not work
repower the pc.

if that does not work, look on the computer......
look in the bottom right hand corner for an icon with two tv screens has it a red X across it?

dx

daviddd
01-Mar-10, 22:12
oops - went through the router setup again after rebooting it and still no joy - THEN found that the wifi switch on the laptop was in the off position, so maybe a combination of faults. Thanks for your help guys!

dx100uk
01-Mar-10, 22:51
now if you said you were trying to use wireless, we could of helped!
first thing i always tell people!

now, i get why you said the ethernet cable was unplugged...red herring.

dx

daviddd
05-Mar-10, 15:10
sorry for the confusion! I'm usually accused of supplying too many facts.....

I'm glad it wasn't Plusnet as they have been excellent since I signed up 18 months ago - not a single failure as I can recall.