PDA

View Full Version : Hello

John Little
28-Feb-10, 10:54
I'm John Little and I was at West Public then the Miller Academy from 1957 to 1963- my parents being what were known as 'Atomicsl I lived on Calder Drive and Tormsdale Place and I did not want to leave the place ever. Thurso is a place I always come back to and it feels like home, though I am in touch with very few people there now indeed.

I was last there for the New Year party at the beginning of 2009- a long way from current home, which is Kent.

You love the place you grow up in and have so many memories of. I know there is at least one person on this forum who was the the Miller at the same time as I and shares the same memory of the van selling sausage rolls outside at break.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who might remember me. Long time ago...

Thanks Venture - done!

shazzap
28-Feb-10, 11:05
Hello........:)

Venture
28-Feb-10, 11:27
Welcome John. Hope you enjoy your stay on the org. I think you need to change the second date you have there in your post.;)

unicorn
28-Feb-10, 12:25
Hi John
Welcome to the forum.:D

poppett
28-Feb-10, 12:42
Hi John.

I can`t place you but do share the memories of the breaktime snack van. Pies, sausage rolls and cream cookies.......how are we still alive to tell the tale.

Enjoy the org.

John Little
28-Feb-10, 22:06
Heaven knows! I remember everyone used to try and get a bit of Davie's sausage roll - if he was feeling generous he'd give you a corner. But apart from the diet I wonder anyone survived Mr Constable picking you up by the ears! Never mind Mr Henderson and his tawse...

poppett
28-Feb-10, 22:54
Mr Constable never touched my ears, but he did throw a knife in class one day and it landed between my finger and thumb. Was he a circus act in a former life? The knife was thrown to make the point that I should be paying attention to him and not remonstrating with the plonker behind who was dipping my pigtail in the inkwell. Happy days indeed.

trix
28-Feb-10, 23:09
welcome til 'e madhoose :D

John Little
01-Mar-10, 12:29
Oh I remember the inkwells. Every morning the Sinclair boy used to come round in his wee kilt and the big bottle of ink and fill them- it was his privilege. And Miss Wears would take you for handwriting with the stencils and the edge of a ruler on your fingers if you made a blot. She never dug me with her stilletoes though - but some of my friends got that...

Thankyou Poppett- brings it all back...

and thanks to all for the welcome :D

poppett
01-Mar-10, 14:09
Miss Munro taught me reading, writing and arithmetic at West Public school in 1960.

We moved up from Lancashire and it was the first time I had ever seen white snow.

John Little
01-Mar-10, 14:26
Aye - we moved up from Cumberland in '57. Snow- yes there was a lot and it was fairly new to us too. Did you cross the river on the ice to get to school in 62/63?

And Miss Veda Monro was my form teacher in the huts at the Miller.