PDA

View Full Version : Sportsrelief at John O Groats

Sage
27-Feb-10, 19:31
Just interested, are any of you planning to go and give them a send off?

I was hoping to but the school run will get in the way, I think they're due to leave around 9am.

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 19:33
I bet some people'll be out stalking tomorrow

Kevin Milkins
27-Feb-10, 19:55
Is it tomorrow or Monday they set off?

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 19:58
they're staying in Wick tomorrow then setting of on Monday, according to the Courier

girnigoe
27-Feb-10, 19:58
Monday. :)

miss happy
27-Feb-10, 21:19
Does anyone have any idea when they will be going through wick on monday.:D

telfordstar
28-Feb-10, 13:46
My sons school are taking the p4 to p7 to the south road at 10.30am to see them, weather permitting.

shamrock2007
28-Feb-10, 14:23
The Sports Relief Bus is sitting down at the Norseman just now.

shamrock2007
28-Feb-10, 19:16
Got some lovely pics with Fearne Cotton, David Walliams & Patrick Keilty they were lovely. Have had an ace day :Razz

annemarie482
28-Feb-10, 19:23
love russel howard and patrick keilty!:D
wish i'd been there :(

Kodiak
28-Feb-10, 19:38
This is the latest post by Frene Cotton, about 20 Minutes ago on Twitter. Seems she is a Little nervous!

Fearnecotton (http://twitter.com/Fearnecotton) in the hotel sat in my room feeling quite anxious! roll on lands end!

wicker05
28-Feb-10, 19:41
Staff from the Norseman Hotel have a photoshoot with the celebs.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/Papamac1/Sport%20relief/IMG_2308.jpg

dan67
28-Feb-10, 19:48
Any idea what time they are passing through golspi thanks

annemarie482
28-Feb-10, 19:54
Staff from the Norseman Hotel have a photoshoot with the celebs.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/Papamac1/Sport%20relief/IMG_2308.jpg

what a brill pic!
damn.....wish i worked there!
well today anyway!

Dizzymilly
28-Feb-10, 20:48
Does anyone know who the photographer was? He took a photo of my daughter with David Walliams and i'd quite like a copy! :)

StacNKel
28-Feb-10, 21:37
Oh nice pic of me and my lovely work collegues (sorry spelling is bad!) Just to let you all know they won't be cycling through Wick tomorrow they will be going through Thurso for anyone wanting to send them off!! (Don't know who the photographer was sorry!) XxX

changilass
28-Feb-10, 21:55
Any idea what time they wil be coming through Castletown then?

StacNKel
28-Feb-10, 22:25
All i know is they leave Groats at 9am and are going to be going through Bettyhill at somepoint my sense of direction is awful! Sorry cant be any more help than that!

changilass
28-Feb-10, 22:29
This is a coastal run not an end to ender, bliddy long way round.

Dadie
28-Feb-10, 22:42
Hope they have good padding!
Otherwise there will be sore bums.
If the weather is ok I may go to see them off ...
Lauren might have to miss nursery ....
And I will have to get everyone up and ready early.

annemarie482
28-Feb-10, 23:10
This is a coastal run not an end to ender, bliddy long way round.

tell the truth.......they took one look at the berridale braes.........lol

carasmam
28-Feb-10, 23:20
My sons school are taking the p4 to p7 to the south road at 10.30am to see them, weather permitting.

Going by another post they aren't coming through Wick, hope the kiddies haven't got their hopes up :confused

Stack Rock
01-Mar-10, 09:03
Just watched David Williams & Miranda hart being interviewed live at Groats. It appears thay are heading west from the start going through the middle of Sutherland towards Inverness. Its not a direct route as they are cycling 1000 miles. Setting off in about an hour.

Sage
01-Mar-10, 10:25
on the Sportsrelief map on their website it looks like they're going down through Lairg...hope the roads are ok :eek:

Popping into Thuros ro see if I can catch them going through :)

Venture
01-Mar-10, 10:30
You can track them live on here.
http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/challenges/cycle/live-tracker

Seems like they are on their way.:)

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-10, 10:51
Just got back from Groat and they had a good send off, although they had a near miss just before the start.
The big sign they had set up for a start line with the BT sponsor and all there names on it blew over just seconds after David Walliams was stood underneath it signing autographs and chatting to to the crowd.:eek:

They headed out towards Thurso and it was well worth the trip over to see them off, (except both my cameras run out of battery):mad:

Davina McCall came over to us and had a long chat and made a fuss of our boxer dogs, as her partner has a few and they are big fans of the breed.:Razz

northener
01-Mar-10, 10:55
Just got back from Groat and they had a good send off, although they had a near miss just before the start.
The big sign they had set up for a start line with the BT sponsor and all there names on it blew over just seconds after David Walliams was stood underneath it signing autographs and chatting to to the crowd.:eek:

They headed out towards Thurso and it was well worth the trip over to see them off, (except both my cameras run out of battery):mad:

Davina McCall came over to us and had a long chat and made a fuss of our boxer dogs, as her partner has a few and they are big fans of the breed.:Razz

Kev. 'Ows about sticking few photies o here? I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest.

Julia
01-Mar-10, 11:02
My daughter's school, Pulteneytown, was planning on watching them go by but don't see how as they are on their merry way to Castletown right now, that's a bit of a daft route, I thought they were heading down the A99 through Wick!

Now I'm not going to see Russell Howard :eek:

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-10, 11:09
Kev. 'Ows about sticking few photies o here? I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest.

I am having I look now at what I have got before my batteries run out, so may post some later.

My daughter's school, Pulteneytown, was planning on watching them go by but don't see how as they are on their merry way to Castletown right now, that's a bit of a daft route, I thought they were heading down the A99 through Wick!

Now I'm not going to see Russell Howard :eek:

It was not that well advertised on the route they were taking and I am sure that there will be lots of disappointed people.:confused

onecalledk
01-Mar-10, 11:11
just been through Dunnet a few minutes ago, cant miss them with the entourage that is accompanying them !

K

onecalledk
01-Mar-10, 11:15
You can track them live on here.

Seems like they are on their way.:)

tried this and it asks me for a log on ?

K

hails4
01-Mar-10, 11:16
Jus back from Groats!! It was brilliant!! Lots of Photos!! An a couple of autographys, they had a brilliant send off!!! Good luck to them all!! xx

Katy
01-Mar-10, 11:19
Just watching them on the live tracker as hoped to see them pass in Thurso but they are off out the back roads at Castletown.....seems a bit strange!
Katy xx

Gronnuck
01-Mar-10, 11:25
Just passed the Sports Relief cycle tour on my way back from Castletown. :) I’ve never seen such a huge entourage supporting a team of End to Enders. There was a low flying helicopter, three or four vans of various sorts, a collection of cars, numerous motorcyclists and three coaches! Here’s hoping the weather doesn’t disrupt them too much and they all enjoy the ride. :D
I’m just so pleased I don’t have to go south any time soon because this is one hell of a rolling road block. :lol:

onecalledk
01-Mar-10, 11:26
the route on the planner shows almost a straight line to inverness but i thought they were going to Thurso ? they appear to be heading back to wick ?
K

superceltic
01-Mar-10, 11:28
They are stopping off in Castletown as the head chef from the norseman is presenting David walliams with a haggis for a laugh, Davina mccoll is so lovely!! She is so hyper! Had a good laugh with her at work this morning! Good luck to them all!!! Was lovely meeting them all and serving their din dins and breaky!!

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-10, 11:45

Hear are three that I took up at the airport last night
Mrs M with Miranda Hart.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Comedien.jpg?t=1267440018
Mrs M with David Walliams.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/DavidWalliams.jpg?t=1267440160
Mrs M with Davina McCall.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Devina.jpg?t=1267440216

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-10, 12:04
One more of this morning before I run out of battery. At the sighn post before setting off.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Sighnpost.jpg?t=1267440903

Ash
01-Mar-10, 12:06
saw david walliams going through thurso just before the traffic lights, he waved and said hi

so im happy :)

Twixy
01-Mar-10, 12:23
Met sports relief cycle tour at the Weigh Inn about 30 minutes ago heading out west:)

Sage
01-Mar-10, 12:35
Ash I was at Skins wishing him well, lovely bloke.

I passed one of the buses at a standstill going down the Halkirk road, so I turned the car round to make sure they werent lost...turned at Glengolly and got back on the right track. Thumbs up all round.

What a bunch of lovely people :)

tartanyorkie
01-Mar-10, 12:45
they have just been through Reay. I could not see a lot from our house but did see them go past.

Sage
01-Mar-10, 13:15
That looks like the way they're going...you can see the route on the SportsRelief website

They're heading towards Strathy now

Liz
01-Mar-10, 13:34
Cheers for sharing your photos with us Kevin.:D

Bobinovich
01-Mar-10, 13:43
Once in Thurso they turned up Princes Street & stopped up by Miller Academy for a changeover - David off & Fern on. There should be some photos of Fern and Davina (who was doing a bit on camera).

Must say I can't believe the size of the backup on this - mush be costing an absolute fortune in fuel, food, wages, etc.

BTW I will admit that the only one I recognised was Davina - I'm not a great TV fan so wouldn't have recognised David or Fern if they hadn't been pointed out to me lol

Hoida
01-Mar-10, 13:47
Just passed Armadale heading to Bettyhill very heavy snow shower so visibility wasn't too good :eek:

Fluff
01-Mar-10, 13:57
there is some pics up on the website of David Williams and some school kids, I assume Miller academy. God the girls in the pic look miserable, you think they would have smiled!

Anfield
01-Mar-10, 13:57
Out west past Armadale

wicker05
01-Mar-10, 14:36
One from John O' Groats this morning

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/Papamac1/Sport%20relief/IMG_2347.jpg

Liz
01-Mar-10, 14:42
Great photo wicker05.:D

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-10, 14:54
That's a fantastic photo wicker05, well done.:Razz

wicker05
01-Mar-10, 14:56
Thanks Lizz and Kevin, more on my flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05)

Elenna
01-Mar-10, 14:57
Brilliant photo, wicker05! But for those of us...well, me, anyway...who dont watch TV, could someone give the names of the people?

Iggle's Mummy
01-Mar-10, 15:01
seen , Divina Macoll outside Miller Academy today have to say i was well excited and it brightened up my day got a snapshop of her aswell . but would of been great to get a photo with David but he was already tucked up in the bus eating away on his bannana . Hopefully he will read this and send his autograph to the community education building at Miller as im sure it would make us smile .

Good luck guys ! x:Razz

Liz
01-Mar-10, 15:06
Thanks Lizz and Kevin, more on my flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05)

More great photos! Cheers.:D

webmannie
01-Mar-10, 15:08
If you watch the tracker just now, they are fair 'motoring'

weeksider
01-Mar-10, 15:28
[lol] They are on the Syre to Altnaharra rd just now ,passing Loch Naver ,down through Lairg and onto Bonar bridge area loooks like

KCERINN
01-Mar-10, 18:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8542340.stm

Venture
01-Mar-10, 18:27
It seems Miranda and Patrick have both fallen off the bikes.:( Battered and bruised but carrying on regardless.:)

Bullseye!
01-Mar-10, 21:00
You can follow them on

At the moment they are just north of Muir of Ord.

caithnessgirl
01-Mar-10, 21:15
does anyone know where the pics taken by Miller academy can be seen?

im behind you
01-Mar-10, 21:40
are people only intrested in this because these people are celeb's. i meen why all the fuss i know its for charity and good luck to them. but what about all the other people that try to do this challenge threw out the year. they try there best for there charity probably only making 2or3 grand. but do you people care nope no we dont (this includes me) as well. but it makes us think about the other people who try this without the hype but the same goal at the end.

Serenity
01-Mar-10, 22:09
are people only intrested in this because these people are celeb's. i meen why all the fuss i know its for charity and good luck to them. but what about all the other people that try to do this challenge threw out the year. they try there best for there charity probably only making 2or3 grand. but do you people care nope no we dont (this includes me) as well. but it makes us think about the other people who try this without the hype but the same goal at the end.

I mostly agree with you and find a lot of this thread quite sad, people going after celebs and everything. The celebrity culture in this country is awful. But if it makes people happy and earns money for good causes then I suppose it is worth it.

dragonfly
01-Mar-10, 22:42

while I am not a fan of "celebrity" I do think that its good that people on here (and throughout the country) are talking about it - it promoting a healthier/greener mode of transport and if even 1 person decides to get on their bike as a result of it isn't that a good thing?

My husband did LE-JOG 10 years ago and would do it again today if he got the chance

More power to their legs

Kevin Milkins
02-Mar-10, 00:12
I mostly agree with you and find a lot of this thread quite sad, people going after celebs and everything. The celebrity culture in this country is awful. But if it makes people happy and earns money for good causes then I suppose it is worth it.

I can understand and appreciate that not everyone would share the same views on celebrity culture, and some more than others would inclined to want to see them and take photos, etc.

What I do find it hard to understand is why someone who has no interest in celebrity culture, trawl through 4 pages of the subject and then try and rubbish or belittle people for what they might consider an OK pastime.:confused

Gronnuck
02-Mar-10, 00:23
Our celebs have a huge entourage supporting them, three coaches, numerous vans, a helicopter and motorcycle outriders – their carbon tyre-print will be huge. OK it’s got us talking and perhaps more importantly its making us think a bit more about the hundreds of other End-to-Enders who make the effort with the minimum of support and who go largely unnoticed.
I’m not going to criticize the celebs for what they’re doing, instead I'd rather raise a glass to the many who’ve done it without all the hullaballoo. :):lol:

golach
02-Mar-10, 00:32
Our celebs have a huge entourage supporting them, three coaches, numerous vans, a helicopter and motorcycle outriders – their carbon tyre-print will be huge. OK it’s got us talking and perhaps more importantly its making us think a bit more about the hundreds of other End-to-Enders who make the effort with the minimum of support and who go largely unnoticed.
I’m not going to criticize the celebs for what they’re doing, instead I'd rather raise a glass to the many who’ve done it without all the hullaballoo. :):lol:

Me too, look at our own Rheghead, did all by cycling all the way, how many went to see him arrive I wonder

Kevin Milkins
02-Mar-10, 00:36
Me too, look at our own Rheghead, did all by cycling all the way, how many went to see him arrive I wonder

I did, I was five minutes late and they were just coming up the hill and heading for home while we were just going down into Groat :confusedlol.

golach
02-Mar-10, 00:41
I did, I was five minutes late and they were just coming up the hill and heading for home while we were just going down into Groat :confusedlol.
Kevin we all know that you like St Bobinovich are a saint in your own right [lol]

Serenity
02-Mar-10, 00:46
I can understand and appreciate that not everyone would share the same views on celebrity culture, and some more than others would inclined to want to see them and take photos, etc.

What I do find it hard to understand is why someone who has no interest in celebrity culture, trawl through 4 pages of the subject and then try and rubbish or belittle people for what they might consider an OK pastime.:confused

I have no interest in chasing after celebs and getting photos taken with them. It does not mean I have no interest in an event which is raising money for charity and perhaps raising awareness of our county. It is a 2 page thread and takes a couple of minutes to read.
Also I wasn't belittling anyone, just stating my opinion.
I'll remember to ask your permission next time I want to make a comment on a thread.

Moira
02-Mar-10, 00:56
i

Excellent post Gronnuck. My thoughts too - at least they are getting off their butts to do the JOG LE challenge. Instead of just throwing some money at some cause, they're actually doing it and raising the profile of various charity challenges along the way.

Kevin Milkins
02-Mar-10, 07:04
I have no interest in chasing after celebs and getting photos taken with them. It does not mean I have no interest in an event which is raising money for charity and perhaps raising awareness of our county. It is a 2 page thread and takes a couple of minutes to read.
Also I wasn't belittling anyone, just stating my opinion.
I'll remember to ask your permission next time I want to make a comment on a thread.

The point I am trying to make to you, Serenity is, would it seem reasonable of you to join in a thread that has survived three days and 61 posts by like minded people, (shall we say about Celtic V Rangers) and comment that you think sport is good, but anyone that follows football is daft?:confused

I am sure there are lots of other people that may have photos and stories of this event that may have contributed to this thread, but would have been put off by your comments.

Thanks for the red square.:eek:

scrabster view
02-Mar-10, 08:12
does anyone know where the pics taken by Miller academy can be seen?

The photo being referred to is not Miller Academy. It looks as though its taken at the front of the norseman hotel.

Venture
02-Mar-10, 09:51
For goodness sake why are people dishing out bad rep for posts on this thread. The charity cycle race has brought something different to Wick and brightened up a dull Monday and an org board that of late has been full of nothing but politics, religion and boring drivel. I for one have enjoyed looking at the photos posted by Kevin and others. It's not very often that celebs visit our area and it's only natural that people want to see them in the flesh.

This thread is taking nothing away from the org's own end-to-ender Rheghead, who bravely completed his charity cycle last year. Many of us on here followed his challenge and sponsored him and I for one admire what he did for a very worthwhile cause. Cycling from John O'Groats to Lands End non-stop in atrocious weather conditions also has to be commended. The fact that celebrities are doing it certainly raises the profile and will hopefully succeed in raising thousands for Sportsrelief. So why take the thread off track by starting to criticise those who took the time to post photos etc.?

Kevin just you carry on doing what you do best and that's being helpful, kind and considerate. Ignore the moaners, it was obviously Monday.;)

Dadie
02-Mar-10, 11:08
I wanted to go and gawk at the celebs.... does that make me a bad person?
But I put my sensible mum head on and decided not to go because of the roads being slidey and not gritted at that time in the morning!

laguna2
02-Mar-10, 11:16
Just had a look and they are heading down Loch Lomond side now according to their tracker.

Good luck to them and hope that they raise loads of money!

changilass
02-Mar-10, 11:19
Now it all makes sense, had they done this any later in the year, going down there they would have been eaten alive with the midges.

laguna2
02-Mar-10, 11:20
Now it all makes sense, had they done this any later in the year, going down there they would have been eaten alive with the midges.

Good thinking Changi!!;)

Sage
02-Mar-10, 11:24
Sad that people like to knock those who actually get off their backsides and do something.

Yes they are "celebrities" but believe me they are the same as anyone else, it takes a LOT of guts to do this whether you are a celeb or not. HOWEVER, the fact that they are celebs means that they do get people talking abut the charities and raise a ton of cash for them.

I was there to cheer David on because to be quite frank, celeb or not its moral boosting to have somene go and say well done, keep at it and enjoy what you are doing.

I do the same for anyone if I see that they're doing something fantastic like this.

Are there any threads on this forum where people DONT moan?

Liz
02-Mar-10, 13:12
Sad that people like to knock those who actually get off their backsides and do something.

Yes they are "celebrities" but believe me they are the same as anyone else, it takes a LOT of guts to do this whether you are a celeb or not. HOWEVER, the fact that they are celebs means that they do get people talking abut the charities and raise a ton of cash for them.

I was there to cheer David on because to be quite frank, celeb or not its moral boosting to have somene go and say well done, keep at it and enjoy what you are doing.

I do the same for anyone if I see that they're doing something fantastic like this.

Well said both of you and I completely agree.

I am so fed up with orgers who feel they have to take the morale high ground and chastise those who dare to do something they don't agree with!

Kevin it was way out of order that you got bad rep![evil]

Gronnuck
02-Mar-10, 13:24

Now they can be as rare as rocking horse poo! ;)
But hey moaners or not it's got everyone 'talking'. I for one wouldn't want to cycle through Glencoe in the early hours of the morning with temperatures down to something like -10C even if it was in company with dishy Davina.
And those bike saddles! I'll stick with my gel filled shapely mobile armchair thank you.
I admire Rheghead for his effort as I do all the End-to-Enders, not least because the commitment they make without a huge organisation like the BBC to support them. The planning alone requires a great deal of organisation before anyone moves from the start line.
I have a certain admiration for David Walliams since he swam the Straits of Gibraltar and then the English Channel, and besides he's quite funny too.
So come on people lighten up, celebrate all End-to-Enders, it'll soon be summer. :eek::lol:

Liz
02-Mar-10, 13:29
Well talking of celebs raising money for charity. How about Eddie Izzard who ran 43 marathons in 51 days.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m3z1f

I so admire him for doing this and would whether he was a celeb or not.

As Gronnuck said lets lighten up and stop moaning on what should have been a nice light hearted thread!:confused

northener
02-Mar-10, 13:31
I'd like to publicly apologise for taking an interest in this event.

It was bad of me, I know.
In future, I shall only show any enthusiasm for events that do not involve people who may be well known. I apologise unreservedly to those .Orgers who may be offended by my discussion of this event with other people who are interested.

Perhaps they should have done it in secret with no publicity at all and ridden whilst wearing false beards? That way Mr & Mrs Miserable Git of the .Org won't have to drag his/her soapbox out and berate all and sundry on the matter.

Get a grip, dammit. It's getting to the point where you can't show an interest in anything on here without some idiot barging into the thread and moaning about it. If you're not interested, don't bloody post. Start your own thread. FFS.[disgust]

Bobinovich
04-Mar-10, 19:26
YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wir8dCHAiM) put together by Colin Sinclair of Video Viewpoint

Liz
04-Mar-10, 19:48
Cheers for that Bobinovich. Great video!

changilass
04-Mar-10, 19:59
That was great, thanks to bob for posting and Colin for filming.

wicker05
04-Mar-10, 21:48
Fantastic video :)

morvenview
04-Mar-10, 21:56
Well shot. :lol:

Kevin Milkins
04-Mar-10, 22:02
Great video.
Thanks for sharing.:Razz

Moira
04-Mar-10, 22:14
I enjoyed the video! Thanks to Colin Sinclair of Video Viewpoint, Bob for bringing it to our attention and indeed everyone else who posted their photos of the event here.

The team have made it "home" now and exceeded their fundraising target of £1m so a very well done to them all. :D
According to the Website, http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/challenges/cycle, we can all "Watch their entire journey on Thursday 18th March on BBC One at 9pm." I'm looking forward to that!

cuddlepop
05-Mar-10, 10:52
I enjoyed the video! Thanks to Colin Sinclair of Video Viewpoint, Bob for bringing it to our attention and indeed everyone else who posted their photos of the event here.

The team have made it "home" now and exceeded their fundraising target of £1m so a very well done to them all. :D
According to the Website, http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/challenges/cycle, we can all "Watch their entire journey on Thursday 18th March on BBC One at 9pm." I'm looking forward to that!

Thanks for the heads up on that one Moira,looking forward to the programe and well done everyone who took part.:D

Moira
18-Mar-10, 20:29

Tonight's the night folks. :)

Liz
18-Mar-10, 20:33
Looking forward to seeing the programme about the bike run.

Has anyone else been watching the programmes following Eddie Izzards marathons? I have so much admiration for what he achieved.

changilass
18-Mar-10, 20:34
Is this repeated cos I already got 2 things being recorded at that time :(

Found it 1am friday on Home if anyone else wants to know.

Moira
18-Mar-10, 20:50
Has anyone else been watching the programmes following Eddie Izzards marathons? I have so much admiration for what he achieved.

Must admit I haven't Liz. I watch very little TV. I'll google it & try to watch it online sometime.

Is this repeated cos I already got 2 things being recorded at that time
Found it 1am friday on Home if anyone else wants to know.

Good thinking Changilass. It will also be possible to view the programme online through the BBC iPlayer after the broadcast tonight. :)

bekisman
18-Mar-10, 23:22

That bloke is amazing, not for one minute would you think he could have done that, I'll be watching the recording of him tonight 3 of 3.

joxville
19-Mar-10, 00:03

I agree Liz, Eddie was fantastic.

Must admit I haven't Liz. I watch very little TV. I'll google it & try to watch it online sometime.

Do you need a magnifying glass to watch that very little tv? :D

Moira
19-Mar-10, 01:14
No. Joxvillle lol.

I thought the programme presented by the BBC was good. A series of prorammes would have been better considering the time-span of the Challenge. I do think however that the footage of Caithness & Sutherland was special. :D

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-10, 14:14
I enjoyed the programme about the bike ride, last night, and thought it was put together well.:D

I first saw and heard about Eddie Izzard and his mammoth achievement as a marathon runner when he came onto the Friday Night With Jonathan Ross programme, just after he completed his last marathon.

At first I thought it was a wind up because the task looked an impossible one and at 47 he looked an unlikely candidate to be physically able to achieve it.

A while later, I was still waiting for the punch line, then his serialised programme came on the TV and I still had my doubts, because he just looks the wrong shape for that sort of job.
If the conclusion of this epic journey was in a couple of weeks time, on April 1 it would have all made sense, so I think I have to except that it was not a wind up and very well done to Mr & Mrs Izzard. £5-00 on it's way.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Mar-10, 17:20
No. Joxvillle lol.

I thought the programme presented by the BBC was good. A series of prorammes would have been better considering the time-span of the Challenge. I do think however that the footage of Caithness & Sutherland was special. :D

... and brief.

sharona
19-Mar-10, 21:08
the so call stars did not complete the cycle they did it on a relay witch is a lot easy they was on the coach fillin there faces and sleepin look at ian bothem he walked from 1 end to the other and not as relay, and alastair humphreys who cycle round the world all on his own they wat u call stars

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 21:13
the so call stars did not complete the cycle they did it on a relay witch is a lot easy they was on the coach fillin there faces and sleepin look at ian bothem he walked from 1 end to the other and not as relay, and alastair humphreys who cycle round the world all on his own they wat u call stars

They may not have done the whole 1000 miles but the did it and they raised a LOT of money doing so,they could have just as easily chucked a hundred quid in the collection and not bothered doing anything,but they didnt,and I think they did a good job x

stroma88
19-Mar-10, 22:09
i loved watching them on tv last night. i wish i was back home to see them in castletown! haggis at the beach haha!

i dont get people complaining about what they didnt do or because they are celebs, they should care about what they DID do. it was still hard work and it was all for a good cause and thats what matters.

:)

Fluff
19-Mar-10, 22:10
I am watching it now as I recorded it. It is making me home-sick!

sharona
19-Mar-10, 22:13
i would put my money to a good cause thats is no strangers only my family u no wat they say charity begins at home

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 22:29
Anyone who needs help deserves to be helped,watch the tv and then say charity begins at home! Its heartbreaking to know that in this day and age children are dying from easily cured diseases! I havent much but I have given what I can x

sharona
19-Mar-10, 22:41
dont you think that britain is in a mess and there is poor familys workers wats lost there jobs , homes and there dignerty then there them on tv wats askin for money to help other parts of the world ask the mp to dig some of that money we all no about to give they will never so thats what i think,, loads can not get jobs because there is none to give money

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 22:45
I am unemployed,but I dont see why that would stop me caring that children are dying and we can help them,not all of the sports relief money goes to otehr countries,its given where its needed,its not for unemployed people,or poor people,its for people who need help with things like caring and health issues,the state of our country has nothing to do with charity x

Fluff
19-Mar-10, 23:27
If you go to the sports relief website you can search on a map/by postcode to see how they help in the UK. They have given money for projects in the highlands. Can't get much more local!

Angela
20-Mar-10, 10:51
I'm not much interested in the whole celeb thing, but I do admire these people. They could have chosen to hand out money I expect they'd never miss, or done nothing at all. Instead they've chosen to attempt something outwith their comfort zone to raise money for folk less privileged than themselves.

What can be bad about that?:confused I watched Dougie and Fred - "'Up a Long Creek' - earlier in the week and again admired what they did for charity.

Some of the money from these events will go to help young carers get a break and experience a bit of the childhood they miss by looking after their parents. These kids are among the true heroes that Sports Relief helps and it was quite apparent that the celebs were genuinely touched by what these kids do. (It's sad that they have to rely on charities to help them out, but that would be a whole different thread.....)

I don't have much spare cash but I've given what I can to what I feel is a very good cause.

Sage
21-Mar-10, 12:31
I fully support what SportRelief does and knew that the ride wasnt going to be easy. However after watching the programme I upped my donation quite a lot.

Ok, so they did it as a relay...they took four days to do it rather than the week or two it would take, but hell...look at what they went through. None of them turned round and said "Sod it, Im going home" It wasnt easy, they could have backed out, especially Miranda with her asthma (anyone with asthma will know just what she was going through and it doesnt show on film)

I think what they did was great, Sport Relief and Comic Relief help people in this country too, and without thier help a lot of people would be worse off.

Gronnuck
21-Mar-10, 13:05
:roll: sharona - I respect your opinion but on this occasion you're outnumbered by the many Orgers who recognise the effort the team made in covering 1000 miles in four days and raising over £1M. Of course they could have stayed at home, felt sorry for people in need and slung some money in a bucket; but they didn’t they got out and did something.
All praise to Eddie Izzard too. He has to have been the most unlikely marathon runner but he made an effort and did so well.
So sharona when you’re done belittling these ‘celebs’ and decide to do some fundraising that involves a terrific physical challenge be sure to let us know so we can support you too. ;)

Dog-eared
21-Mar-10, 13:22
SHARONA -if you concentrate reeeeally hard you might realise that this was not the Olympics. It was a fund raising event.

It was really successful.

It raised lots of funds.

Next time you fancy cycling from Thurso to Altnaharra in freezing conditions, in the dark, I'll sponsor you.
Do you know where Altnaharra is ?

bekisman
21-Mar-10, 13:29
All praise to Eddie Izzard too. He has to have been the most unlikely marathon runner but he made an effort and did so well.

What a fantastic bloke; ordinary chap, not fit, not young, but running 43 Marathons in 51 days!

Liz
21-Mar-10, 13:53
i would put my money to a good cause thats is no strangers only my family u no wat they say charity begins at home

Yes but it doesn't end there!

I respect anyone who put themselves out to help others and that includes 'celebs'.
Sage I was the same as you and increased my donation after seeing the effort they all put in. Especially Eddie Izzard!
I also watched the lassie from Blue Peter (can't remember her name) kayak across the Amazon and she did great. Haven't watched Dougie and Fred yet.

Sports Relief is a great cause as it helps people both at in the UK and Africa.