PDA

View Full Version : Ventolin (salbutamol) inhalers

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:19
I was wondering whether any asthma sufferers get refills for these or do you get a new inhaler every time?

If it's the latter there will be an awful lot of plastic going to landfill!:roll:

I did ask for refills but never got them so not sure whether this means they aren't available. If not they should.

I was going to contact the manufacturer but don't have a new inhaler to get the details. Can anyone help?

Thanks!:D

arat
27-Feb-10, 19:20
just get a new 1 every time.

poppett
27-Feb-10, 19:23
Your chemist will look up his book of prescribed medications and should be able to give you the exact wording to ask the doctor to put on the prescription to access refils, if they are available. Hope this helps.

ShelleyCowie
27-Feb-10, 19:23
I just get a new one everytime too. :confused It does seem like a bit of a waste but i thought it had something to do with the mouth piece bit. The wee bit where the ventolin comes out can get clogged, yes you wash it but over time it becomes damaged because of how cold it is.

Well thats what i thought. :D

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:25
Cheers both. I will ask the chemist thanks Poppett.

You would think that for the sake of the environment they would issue refills rather than giving a new one every time?
They can be easily cleaned so there is no problem.

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:28
I just get a new one everytime too. :confused It does seem like a bit of a waste but i thought it had something to do with the mouth piece bit. The wee bit where the ventolin comes out can get clogged, yes you wash it but over time it becomes damaged because of how cold it is.

Well thats what i thought. :D

I suppose it could become clogged after a while but surely we don't need a replacement mouth piece every time? It would save an awful lot of plastic landing up in landfill.

Sage
27-Feb-10, 19:30
They dont do refills anymore, you just have to get the whole thing unfortunately. I have the ventolin inhaler and asked my pharmacist

ShelleyCowie
27-Feb-10, 19:31
I suppose it could become clogged after a while but surely we don't need a replacement mouth piece every time? It would save an awful lot of plastic landing up in landfill.

No i wouldnt say everytime either. I dont use the regular blue inhalers, i have a "lazy boy" (named by my OH) You just open the mouth peace and breath in. No pushing down required. They have smaller cylinders. Wonder if they have replacement ones of them?

Saying that, my asthma has cleared up immensly. I only got it bad when i was pregnant with athrun, it calmed down about September last year. Havent used my blue in months.

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:41
They dont do refills anymore, you just have to get the whole thing unfortunately. I have the ventolin inhaler and asked my pharmacist

Thanks Sage. I wonder why on earth they stopped providing refills? I feel guilty every time I throw one in the bin.:confused

I think I will wait until I get a new one and write to the manufacturer.

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:42
No i wouldnt say everytime either. I dont use the regular blue inhalers, i have a "lazy boy" (named by my OH) You just open the mouth peace and breath in. No pushing down required. They have smaller cylinders. Wonder if they have replacement ones of them?

Saying that, my asthma has cleared up immensly. I only got it bad when i was pregnant with athrun, it calmed down about September last year. Havent used my blue in months.

Glad your asthma has cleared up a lot. Unfortunately, I go through a few inhalers every year.:confused