PDA

View Full Version : Wathegar windfarm – joining up the dots!

ywindythesecond
27-Feb-10, 13:52
A planning application has just been lodged for Wathegar Windfarm. If you don't know where that is this will refresh your memory. This is from Tesco's car park in Wick.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9232/37bk.jpg
Wathegar is the five white upright turbines in the middle. The three dark ones on the left is Achairn WF, and that is photograph. The white upright turbines on the horizon is Halsary WF, and it is in the planning process. In amongst the Halsary turbines you will see twirling turbines. That is the Causeymire, and that is photograph. The three tall pale turbines on the right is Bylbster Windfarm (photograph). Wathegar is effectively an extension of Bilbster.
Out of the picture on the left is Camster Windfarm. 25 turbines with planning consent but not yet built. Further left beyond Newtonhill, the Burn of Whilk windfarm will be coming up for consent soon – 13 big ones. If you don't know where Burn of Whilk is, just think Yarrows Archaeological Trail.
Out of the picture on the right there is Spittal Hill, 30 turbines coming up before the Council in the next couple of months, and the single turbine at Bower Quarry will also come along soon. Not visible from Tesco but very visible on the way to Thurso is Durran WF, 13 turbines due for a planning hearing very soon.
On the other side of the County, Baillie Windfarm has been given the go-ahead after a public inquiry, 21 turbines dominating peoples homes. The Baillie result has given great encouragement to Shebster windfarm, 5 turbines almost in peoples living rooms which was refused but is at appeal, and Lieurary is back for another go. Only two turbines but very prominent. Over the hill at Forss the original 2 became 6 and there is another proposal under way to make it 13.
Back in the hinterland the two turbines at Olgrinmore await planning and are poised to dominate the Scotscalder area. There are plans afoot for 50 to 60 more at Westerdale. Causeymire has permission to build another three on top of its 21, and last week Highland Council effectively approved 17 monster turbines across the face of the Scarabens. Quarter as big again as Causeymire machines.
Up north of Wick, the outcome of the Stroupster Inquiry is due soon but the developers already have an identical application lodged if they are turned down. 12 big ones.
Add 3 to come at Rumster, 2 at Nottingham Mains and there is an anemometer mast at Toftingall, and you just about get the picture for Caithness. No space left for Sutherland, and my typing fingers have RSI.
Sorry, also already built are the 15 at Buolfruich which will link nicely with the Dunbeath Windfarm.

rockyrider
27-Feb-10, 14:07
how to destroy caithness,so sad,isnt money evil.[disgust]

spurtle
27-Feb-10, 14:13
[QUOTE=ywindythesecond;667566]A planning application has just been lodged for Wathegar Windfarm. If you don't know where that is this will refresh your memory. This is from Tesco's car park in Wick.

The whole Caithness windfarm thing has assumed lunatic proportions - is there anywhere safe? What happened to the "renewable energy strategy"?
Here is what they say "It has been superceded by national policy" - So much for local government, and the £10,000 of our money that went into producing it.
Our council have completely caved in to Government target practice, and need to be stopped in their tracks before they wreck Caithness for good.
I exclude the few shining exceptions who actually use their own discretion, and try to represent the interests of their constituents and the County as a whole. We all know who they are.
The executive arm of the council makes damn sure the opposition cannot vote on the subject, on the feeble excuse that certain of them have expressed their opposition to windfarms in the past. Those who have expressed support in the same way are permitted to vote.
Well, let me inform them that I, and a great many other people of my acquaintance, voted those councillors in for that very reason. We are immediately disenfranchised by this totally illegal exclusion of our representation at these very important hearings.
Let's remind councillors that there were over 800 letters of opposition - most of them from local people - that would be a big part of anyone's vote at a local election. After the Dunbeath vote, in which AI Willy and Robert Coghill were made to sit out of the vote, thereby removing any potential opposition, and some of the other underhand tricks that led to that shameful outcome, there are a raft of legal questions that arise. I think am going to challenge this officially - anyone else have views on this?

Green_not_greed
27-Feb-10, 14:25
What happened to the "renewable energy strategy"?
Here is what they say "It has been superceded by national policy" - So much for local government, and the £10,000 of our money that went into producing it.

I think you'll find the Highland Renewable Energy Strategy cost HRC over £250,000 for Aquatera - the Orkney-based consultants - and considerably more on top of that in consultations, meetings and presentations.

lynne duncan
27-Feb-10, 14:55
whats the lifespan of a windturbine before they rust and fall down or need to be replaced

rockyrider
27-Feb-10, 15:04
no more than 20 years.

peter macdonald
27-Feb-10, 15:27
Excellent information Ywindy...Thank you very much
PM

spurtle
27-Feb-10, 16:36
I think you'll find the Highland Renewable Energy Strategy cost HRC over £250,000 for Aquatera - the Orkney-based consultants - and considerably more on top of that in consultations, meetings and presentations.

Good grief! - No wonder there is nothing left to keep maternity services going, roads in good nick etc etc.

Dog-eared
27-Feb-10, 16:51
Where can I find a map online showing all these turbines' projected locations ??

bekisman
27-Feb-10, 17:00
Surely a total waste of money as the Scottish Reporter over-rules the wishes of the Highland Council?

"The Highland Renewable Energy Strategy was formally approved at the Council meeting held on 4 May 2006.
In May 2008, the Council’s Planning, Environment & Development Committee agreed to begin a review of the spatial planning framework for onshore wind energy development, in response to Scottish Government’s Scottish Planning Policy 6 “Renewable Energy” (March 2007). Further details of that review will be given here as that review progresses.
A copy of the 2006 approved Strategy, which incorporates associated Planning Guidance material, can be downloaded as a .pdf file from the Current Documents section to the right, as can the supporting Renewable Energy Resource Assessment (RERA) and maps, at A1 size, showing prospective development zones for national and major scale (fig 6.2.4) and local scale (fig 6.2.7) onshore wind farms."

ywindythesecond
27-Feb-10, 17:32
Where can I find a map online showing all these turbines' projected locations ??
This is the Wathegar layout.
http://www.whirlwindrenewables.com/wathegar-site-layout.pdf (http://www.whirlwindrenewables.com/wathegar-site-layout.pdf)
This one is a bit out of date, it doesnt have Achairn or Halsary on it and still shows Schoolary.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7662/caithnessspread.jpg
For bang up to date information go to WWW.Caithnesswindfarms.co.uk (http://www.Caithnesswindfarms.co.uk) Windfarm sites. Take your time to browse the site, it is full of useful information and look out for the Donate and Join buttons.
This is usefull and gives the bigger picture, but it is a bit out of date
http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/strategy/renewable/windfarmFootprintMapApril08.pdf

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 19:08
Looks quite pretty imo.

ywindythesecond
03-Mar-10, 22:56
A planning application has just been lodged for Wathegar Windfarm. If you don't know where that is this will refresh your memory. This is from Tesco's car park in Wick.

These windfarm developers are quick to spot an opportunity! This is what the Environmental Statement says about Wathegar windfarm:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8034/opportunityd.jpg

So they have spotted a gap, and if it gets filled with even more turbines it will be harder to see theirs!!

Dog-eared
03-Mar-10, 23:09
Thanks for posting the map windy2 - very interesting links too.

achingale
04-Mar-10, 16:38
This is just getting beyond a joke. Ok we have wind and it is an ideal location for wind farms but the way it is going the whole county is going to be taken over by them. We have a lovely county and I think very soon we will lose its natural beauty.

ywindythesecond
04-Mar-10, 17:43
This is just getting beyond a joke. Ok we have wind and it is an ideal location for wind farms but the way it is going the whole county is going to be taken over by them. We have a lovely county and I think very soon we will lose its natural beauty.
Everyone in sight of a turbine just now have a look out the window and see what the wind is doing -4.30 pm Thursday. Have you seen them move much in the last three days?

achingale
04-Mar-10, 19:24
It is not windy all the time, granted, but it is more windy up here on the whole. That is why we have quite so many turbines. I have to admit I do think it is funny when they are sitting still, not moving an inch because there is not a breath of wind to be had. When it is windy, they can fairly pick up the speed though. I have also noticed that sometimes some of them turn and others do not. Is this simply wind direction or are they switched off at times?

Kirdon
04-Mar-10, 20:27
Personal opinion is that if they want wind turbines, then they should all be in the one place. This 2's, 3's and whatnots are looking stupid and destroying our natural beauty and landscape.