PDA

View Full Version : Do you add salt?

Errogie
27-Feb-10, 10:14
For years I haven't added salt to anything I eat, although do have the occasional bag of crisps or cashews. But these days I dread eating out and getting over salted food on my plate and am even finding too much for my taste in the cheaper cheddar cheeses in a homemade sandwich and particularly any shop bought ones.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I developing an intolerance for the stuff in my dotage?

ShelleyCowie
27-Feb-10, 10:55
If you dont really eat salty things normally then you will taste it more in foods because your taste buds havent become custom enough to the taste.

I LOVE salt. I know how bad it is for me but i add it to nearly everything i eat. from macaroni to a roast dinner.

I also add a wee pinch of salt when cooking some things. Dont add alot to that because everyone in the house has to eat it. And my OH has salt on nothing. I even have to buy the "salt and shake" crisps for him so he doesnt have to add the salt :roll:

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 10:57
I don't add salt when I am cooking as the rest of the family have to eat it but I must admit to personally being a salt fiend. I even put it on cheese :confused

Kenn
27-Feb-10, 11:03
I too never add salt when cooking and have not done so for many years,I do find that this makes food that does have salt in it very drying to the palate even my OH notices this too although he will add just a pinch to chips.

Rictina
27-Feb-10, 12:01
Yes, I'm afraid am guilty of adding a wee bit of salt to my cooking, not a lot though, LOL.

I do use Rock salt in the grinder, I have it in my head that it tastes better [lol][lol].

bobbyrussell09
27-Feb-10, 14:13
i add salt to most things ,gives that extra taste to it mmmm mmmmm

jings00
27-Feb-10, 14:27
i don't use salt in cooking or after, i find shop bought pieces, spreads, etc, too salty too now.

trix
27-Feb-10, 14:31
am a fiend for 'e salt, i love 'e stuff.

i lek 'e sea salt which is lek little stonies, i love tastin it an feelin it go 'crunch' in ma mooth :D

a piece choost isna 'e same withoot'ed.

Stefan
27-Feb-10, 14:50
Just like most other things too much or too little isn't good for you.
My mother had cut out salt out of her diet over a decade ago and was recently told she should eat more salt by her doctor. However, most people probably eat far too much of it which can lead to all sorts of health problems.

lynne duncan
27-Feb-10, 14:57
saltaholic I am, don't smoke, don't drink canna be doing with drugs, but heaven help the person who deprives me of my salt

roadbowler
27-Feb-10, 15:16
yea, hmm, i use salt a bit. I get the unrefined sea salt stuff for my grinder. I think in recent years there has been this salt is bad notion going about but i think it is more to do with refined table salt with all the crap in it. Anti-caking agents and etc. Processed food contains lots and lots of it! I think the key is same as anything else. Moderation. Salt is usually craved by people who have acidic blood conditions, or they are craving minerals that the body thinks should be in the salt but, it's refined they are using and the minerals just aren't there so, they want more ad more. Salt, the right salt, alkalises. Thats why you see people wanting to salt meat. Meat strongly acidifies the body. One thing i've read too is that people who use excessive salt will also crave alcohol because alcohol will balance and disperse excessive salt! And, further i've also read that salt is an antidote to radiation. This why they look at salt beds for storage sites for nuclear waste. If we live especially in cities or homes with lots of electrical appliances, we are around lots of radiation therefore body craves salt! But, when i've looked for what exactly is a moderate amount of salt to use it seems to be highly individual thing and that the rule is salt should enhance the flavour of food not dominate. If ye taste the food as being salty it's too much. That's what i try to shoot for. So, errogie, your prolly bang on, just use it when your body asks for it.

changilass
27-Feb-10, 15:20
I use the unrefined sea salt too. I always put a little in when cooking, but never add any at the table. If we have guests I have to go search out the salt pot.

roadbowler
27-Feb-10, 15:42
stefan, aye, potassium-sodium balance is quite important. As easy to use too much as too little salt!

Fluff
27-Feb-10, 15:44
I only add it when I am having chips. depending on what I am making I sometimes add it to food. As we have a family history of heart disease I am very concious of my salt intake, I find it very annoying so much salt is in so much food!

Angela
27-Feb-10, 15:56
A wee bit of coarse sea salt when I'm boiling potatoes or sometimes cooking pasta - otherwise I don't add salt.

But I do LOVE freshly ground black pepper. :D

In general I try to bring out flavours more with herbs and spices than by adding salt. I don't like foods that taste really salty.

Serenity
27-Feb-10, 16:06
I only put it on chips too. One of my friends is awful, she will have food and put salt on it and then put a pile of salt on the plate for dipping too.
I don't like much salt but probably eat too much anyway.

Vistravi
27-Feb-10, 16:22
A wee bit of coarse sea salt when I'm boiling potatoes or sometimes cooking pasta - otherwise I don't add salt.

In general I try to bring out flavours more with herbs and spices than by adding salt. I don't like foods that taste really salty.

I don't add salt to anything, my partner however can't eat chips without a pinch of salt over them. I can't eat chips without vinegar.

We do what you do Angela with our cooking. We have lots of spices and herbs in a kitchen cupboard as we both love our spicy food and we are both guilty of adding paprika and chilli flakes to a pizza as well.

At work the other day the chef made the kids pasta in a spicy tomato sauce. Quite alot of the staff couldn't eat it and a quarter of the kids couldn't eat. I liked it as it wasn't very spicy but had a wee kick. One of my collegues told me to not eat it as it would give my baby heartburn. I decided that i would defintly eat it to see how hot it was. I think our baby will be born with a steel tongue as spicy food is the only food that does not give me heartburn or made me feel sick. I can't quite eat it as hot as i could before my pregnancy so i have missed my sore throat soloution when i have needed it. I always burnt a sore throat away with my partners hot curry. It always worked a treat :D

annemarie482
27-Feb-10, 17:03
i love salt!
I LOVE SALT!

remember gino in the jungle.........salt is a necessity?.........

thats me!

salt on everything for me!

rock salt especially,

i was told if you get cramp often, its a sign your not getting enough SALT! ;)

brandy
27-Feb-10, 17:15
as a whole we dont eat a lot of salt. i add salt when im cooking. but not a lot. and then the food isnt salted again when its served. i was in the chippie one night getting tea as it was a lazy night! and the lassie's in front of me school age girls the lot.. asked if they could put their own salt on.. omg they nearly used a whole bottle of salt between 3 girls! i would have been gagging if i tried to eat those chips!

Elenna
27-Feb-10, 17:15
I never add salt to cooking...grew up in an household where my mother didn't, either...so am another that will go the herbs/spices route :) Salt shakers are in the kitchen and on the table for family members wanting to add it to their own plates

And yes, I often find restaurant or pre-prepared foods taste very salty to me. Luckily (so far) not so much as to be inedible.

Sarah
27-Feb-10, 18:24
I don't put salt on anything but chips smothered in vinegar!

chaz
27-Feb-10, 18:34

Im the same as you Angela, i couldnt survive with out freshly groung black pepper:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Feb-10, 18:43
Salt in ma mashed tatties.Just to give it a wee bit of a kick.A wee bit of salt in the veg but not too much.Oh aye,and a wee bit aw salt after the tequilla,just afore ye sook the lemon.:lol:

Vistravi
27-Feb-10, 21:20
i love salt!
I LOVE SALT!

remember gino in the jungle.........salt is a necessity?.........

thats me!

salt on everything for me!

rock salt especially,

i was told if you get cramp often, its a sign your not getting enough SALT! ;)

I was told that was just a pregnancy issue that i keep getting ;)

Tom Cornwall
28-Feb-10, 13:01
if salt is left out of ready meals etc..they taste so bland I can't be doing with them any more...

henry20
28-Feb-10, 13:42
I use salt when cooking, but never add it after. Although I do have a stone slab for cooking steak on and you use salt with it and its delicious!

Tom Cornwall
28-Feb-10, 20:35
, don't drink

lynne, is that true...have I been living under a misapprehension all these years

Invisible
28-Feb-10, 22:37
I dont take Salt at all, thats why I hate soup as it contains loadsa salt

rich
01-Mar-10, 16:44
Of course there is too much salt in prepared foods. Ideally you can live without itIn our society, dietary salt is onmipresent so dont worry about getting goitered!
Another problem area is sugar. Get rid of it. Lose it!
And finally transfats - totally unecessary (manufacturers complain that they need it to enhance shelf life. Balderdash!!!)
I appeal to you all to refamiliarize yourselves with poridge oats - if it was good enough for our ancestors it is good enough for us. Eat meat only once a week. Familiarize yourself with soy protein (always checking the salt content) For snacking take fruit if it is avaialable in Caithness. And have a glass of claret every day.
How many of you bake your own bread? If you have a tale to share with the ORG let's have it.
And now, in a piece of shameless self-promotion, here is the web adress of my work-place.

www.heartandstroke.ca

(Hope this works!)

George Brims
01-Mar-10, 20:32
I appeal to you all to refamiliarize yourselves with poridge oats - if it was good enough for our ancestors it is good enough for us.
Just a wee quibble. Our ancestors didn't eat porridge oats, they used oatmeal. Stay away from those pre-toasted packaged oats. They may be quicker to prepare, but they taste bland and have less vitamins because of the toasting process. Anyone else remember when the village shops would have loose oatmeal in a sack and they would weigh out however much you needed and sell it to you in a paper bag? Before the Achingale Mill closed, the oatmeal in the shop at Watten was ground there, so it was very fresh. Nothing quite compares for flavour in my mind.

Sara Jevo
01-Mar-10, 22:38
I dont add salt to anything. I think there's enough added in the food processing stage. Add even more just stores up health problems in the body, I suspect.

rich
02-Mar-10, 20:29
Mr. Brims, you are quite right! I was careless.