PDA

View Full Version : Democracy

sandyr1
26-Feb-10, 22:29
I was following and commenting on Canada's fame and shame (The Seal Hunt) and thought.......

We as Canadians...Yes Scottish, but am also a Canuck and live by the rule of law, which is controlled by a 'Democratic Government' which is ...the people's vote.....and the Provincial Gov't and the Federal Gov't have decreed the Seal Hunt should contine...for now anyway....

So, who are these people that want to say that our laws are Disgusting, Barbaric et cetera....without knowing very much about it...I mentioned earlier that Television lives by the Creed..'if it Bleeds it Leads'. I have some experience with them so I shall only talk of that which I know!

Perhaps some discussion...on this issue...Whether I agree with it or not, I have no comment, but should we not attempt to respect the Laws of other Countries and perhaps think a wee bitty before going 'Off The HEED'!

Over tae yee.....

gleeber
26-Feb-10, 22:42
Aye. I agree. Mind you its a moral thing and each individual will make his own mind up by his conscience.
All countries have their barberisms. Much of it behind closed doors but every now and again an abused child dies and the truth comes out again.
People can be cruel even in democracies.
They used to do the same thing to seal pups in the Orkneys up until not that long ago and a few years Back John Thurso the local MP had to be very careful how he handled a bunch of seals roosting on the islands of Thurso river with a steady supply of Salmon swimming past their front door.
I wonder what happened to them? :eek:

fred
26-Feb-10, 22:57
Aye. I agree. Mind you its a moral thing and each individual will make his own mind up by his conscience.
All countries have their barberisms. Much of it behind closed doors but every now and again an abused child dies and the truth comes out again.
People can be cruel even in democracies.
They used to do the same thing to seal pups in the Orkneys up until not that long ago and a few years Back John Thurso the local MP had to be very careful how he handled a bunch of seals roosting on the islands of Thurso river with a steady supply of Salmon swimming past their front door.
I wonder what happened to them? :eek:

I haven't seen them for a few years now.

The seal hunts were common in Caithness at one time too, they went into the caves at night and clubbed them in large numbers. Seal blubber was what lit peoples homes. There are still quite a few seals with bullet holes wash up on the beaches from time to time.

I don't much approve of the seal hunts in Canada but I must agree it's an internal matter for the Canadians, Britain isn't involved and they aren't involving other countries.

Kenn
26-Feb-10, 23:14
Having just watched a series of programmes about the Canadian wilds I can fully understand that there is a necessity to shoot animals for food and I have no objection to that what so ever.
What I do find galling is the killing of animals for their pelts,horns,tusks solely for commercial reasons or having a trophy on the wall.

There is a saying that sums it up for me,
"The fur looked beautiful on the cat but disgraces the bitch who is wearing it now."

ducati
26-Feb-10, 23:19
I haven't seen them for a few years now.

The seal hunts were common in Caithness at one time too, they went into the caves at night and clubbed them in large numbers. Seal blubber was what lit peoples homes. There are still quite a few seals with bullet holes wash up on the beaches from time to time.

I don't much approve of the seal hunts in Canada but I must agree it's an internal matter for the Canadians, Britain isn't involved and they aren't involving other countries.

I agree with the sentiment of all the above posts regarding none interference. But these issues tend to be raised in Global arenas. For example whaling, WWFN etc. The more it is talked about the more shame (hopefully) is felt and the more pressure from within is brought to bear. The excuse of tradition is eventually fading away witness fox hunting in the UK. Unfortunately you just have to pick a cause. The UK certainly has no moral high ground here though.