PDA

View Full Version : ghosts

Doreen
26-Feb-10, 21:27
This might sound stupid but has anyone heard of houses being haunted in heathfield road thurso i heard it used to be the grounds of the gallowes years ago

ducati
26-Feb-10, 21:37
This might sound stupid but has anyone heard of houses being haunted in heathfield road thurso i heard it used to be the grounds of the gallowes years ago

I have now :eek:

gleeber
26-Feb-10, 21:39
I think every house in Thurso is haunted. At least every house ive ever been in and ive been in a few in .
I never heard about Heathfierld Road but not long after the atomics was built there a was rumours of a haunted house in Brims road. :eek:

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 22:40
I lived in a house on heathfield road and we had two spirits in the house. One was a lady who would just appear in the garden putting out her washing and the other was a small boy that would cause mischief and wind up my sister something crazy by sucking on sweets very loudly in her ear :lol:

Was it not farming land or just have cottages there?

dragonfly
26-Feb-10, 22:43
its supposed to be Doreen, never seem myself but my friend has but she's on the other side of the road to us.............mind you it could be my mum's ghost going between mine and dad's houses!!

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:00
I think every house in Thurso is haunted. At least every house ive ever been in and ive been in a few in .
I never heard about Heathfierld Road but not long after the atomics was built there a was rumours of a haunted house in Brims road. :eek:

I would say that mount vernon is one of the worse areas in thurso for spirits. I used to live there in one of the flats and one of the houses. The house we were in was haunted. It was not a nice house to be with everyone in let alone alone in. The flat i lived in had plenty that followed me to my front door or would hang around the stairs waiting for my sister or myself to come into the flathouse so he could sneak into the house and torment my sister. The beach has a nasty one that sits on the bench just after the salvation army building. He died with a deep hatred. St peters kirk is very badly haunted. My sister will not go anywhere near it as she has the gift stronger than i have it. A friend of mine actually took randam pictures of the inside of the kirk a couple of years ago and the pictures were quite something. They got sent off for analysing by experts in orkney.
There is a spirit on ellen bridge that repeatly relives his/her sucide. My sister thinks they died about a hundred years or so ago but still relives it to this day. Not to mention the many spirits that walk the victoria walk. I will not describe two of them that are very connected at one point in the walk way. The worse out of the two as far as auros and emotions go had my fearless sister in tears one night the first time she came across them.

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:10
its supposed to be Doreen, never seem myself but my friend has but she's on the other side of the road to us.............mind you it could be my mum's ghost going between mine and dad's houses!!

Its nice when its one of your parents. My dad walks me home most nights. Always on my right side against the road. He never thought inverness was safe and didn't like me walking in the dark. Hence why he walks me home as soon as i hit ness islands. I can't see him but i know its him as i feel safe then even though i am it would appear on my own to someone else. I am never alone in inverness when walking somewhere at night as he is always there with me.

Growing up we always had spirits in every house we lived in. My mum found out why about 2 years ago now. It is my mum's mum as she was always for boys. i have 4 brothers three that live with my mum. My grandmother is always there around one of my younger brothers as he is austitc. She has also alerted my mum to my youngest brother who was sleeping in such a way one night that made his breathing a little harder. Its partially to do with the fact that my mum can see her that she is around but its very much so because of my brothers.

Tubthumper
26-Feb-10, 23:11
My sister's in Heathfield Road, and they regularly have bother with a Muntergeist. It's like a Poltergeist but it moans all the time and is very irrational.
In the 1960's, apparently some Dounreay bloke was done in by his wife, who had bad PMS at the time. With a pair of garden shears. Nasty.

girnigoe
26-Feb-10, 23:17
I will not describe two of them that are very connected at one point in the walk way

Oooo please do! Im curious now :)

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:25
Oooo please do! Im curious now :)

Just in case my sister is wrong with the timeline of when their death occured i'll pm you instead ;)

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 00:19
There's no such thing as ghosts. Surely someone'd have produced a reasonably high-quality photo by now?

2little2late
27-Feb-10, 00:22
i used to live in a house that was full of spirits. I gave them all away because I am Tee Total [lol] [lol]

Vistravi
27-Feb-10, 00:34
There's no such thing as ghosts. Surely someone'd have produced a reasonably high-quality photo by now?

You should've seen the pictures that my friend got from just taking randam pictures of the inside of st peters kirk. If ghosts don't excist then i don't know what else that was. He cleaned the lens as well before he took the pictures. He got in touch with a expert and they took copies of the photos to analysis. I can't remember if he told me what they said about it or not.

bullielove
27-Feb-10, 00:44
ohhh Ive got shivers reading this thread.. absolutely fascinating!

Rictina
27-Feb-10, 00:46
Thats it Im not moving to Thurso, LOL.

Has anyone herd of any goolies in the Ormilie Road area ?

Vistravi
27-Feb-10, 00:55
ohhh Ive got shivers reading this thread.. absolutely fascinating!

Would you like me to pm you another fascinating story about spirits. May put you off going round the victoria walk....;)

teenybash
27-Feb-10, 01:10
This could be a wonderful thread about the ghosts here in Caithness as they certainly do exist, whether you see them, hear them or feel them.
Would be wonderful to hear of what experiences other orgers have had.

dragonfly
27-Feb-10, 08:53
Thats it Im not moving to Thurso, LOL.

Has anyone herd of any goolies in the Ormilie Road area ?

just the idiots the council house in the bedsit there - they are like poltergists and muntergists - throw things around, break a few things (usually windows and glass panels in doors) and make lots of noise - always in the middle of the night ;)

Sage
27-Feb-10, 10:39
There was something in the Courier years ago about a ghost at Heathfield, but can't remember anything about it. If I come across it I'll post it here...at one point I was considering writing a book on Caithness Ghosts and hauntings :)

onecalledk
27-Feb-10, 12:52
this thread is really fascinating, ghosts occur when there has been trauma usually a violent death for example and that trauma resonates through time in that particular spot. I was reading that the Causeymire is another place that has been haunted for a long long time with people in the last century not venturing out across there after it got dark.

I have a couple of pictures that were taken when i was younger by my family when we visited Culloden Moor (before the A9 was moved) and the photos are very eerie with the images not easily explained.

Has anyone anymore stories about Thurso? Does anyone know what the town was built on?

K

Doreen
27-Feb-10, 13:27
Oh your so funny i almost laughed there is always one

dragonfly
27-Feb-10, 13:45
Oh your so funny i almost laughed there is always one

I'm being serious!! I'm only 2 down from you!!

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 13:46
*facepalm*

Sage
27-Feb-10, 14:22
K as far as I can tell that area was built of farmland around Ormlie Farm

bobbyrussell09
27-Feb-10, 14:26
theres no such thing as ghosts lol

2little2late
27-Feb-10, 22:20
Can we not have a Ghosts/Spirits thread? Would be very interesting.

redeyedtreefrog
27-Feb-10, 22:28
Can we not have a Ghosts/Spirits thread? Would be very interesting.

Yeah, and while we're at it let's do one on Alien Abductions. Ooh what about Bigfoot Sightings in Rumster Forest?

SunsetSong
27-Feb-10, 22:59
Ah now every guide and brownie who went to the outdoor centre at rumster believed bigfoot was roaming around! It was all part of the fun! He knocked on the windows at night i tell ye! Or maybe that was whoever was closest to the dorm at the backdoor ha ha!

Kevin Milkins
27-Feb-10, 23:15
I am not sure how I came to be reading the mail but this story is facinating if you are into ghosts.:eek:
Does this spooky image show ghost boy watching builders demolish ... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253073/Does-spooky-image-ghost-boy-watching-builders-demolish-old-school.html)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/23/article-1253073-086A8AA1000005DC-993_468x476.jpg

transit
27-Feb-10, 23:21
unbelievable clear picture wow

2little2late
27-Feb-10, 23:34
I am not sure how I came to be reading the mail but this story is facinating if you are into ghosts.:eek:
Does this spooky image show ghost boy watching builders demolish ... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253073/Does-spooky-image-ghost-boy-watching-builders-demolish-old-school.html)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/23/article-1253073-086A8AA1000005DC-993_468x476.jpg

Crikey, my home town.

Kevin Milkins
27-Feb-10, 23:42
Is that your old school?:eek:

Doreen
27-Feb-10, 23:53
Wow thats spooky

Rictina
28-Feb-10, 00:00
just the idiots the council house in the bedsit there - they are like poltergists and muntergists - throw things around, break a few things (usually windows and glass panels in doors) and make lots of noise - always in the middle of the night ;)

Phewwww thats ok then, ha ha ;)

Rictina
28-Feb-10, 00:01
oh that photo is too much for me, freakkkyyyyyyy.

redeyedtreefrog
28-Feb-10, 00:10
From the second comment down on that website:

This is a fake- it's an application for the iphone called 'ghost capture'.
I have it on my phone with the exact same image as the little boy in the photo!
Sorry to dissapoint those believers!

2little2late
28-Feb-10, 00:13
Is that your old school?:eek:

No it's not Kev, but I do remember the school.

Vistravi
28-Feb-10, 00:13

Wow thats really something. He doesn't look too happy his school is being knocked down.

The nursery i work in is a old victorian building and before it was made into a nursery it was a home for the elderly. Before that it was a house for many families over the decades.

It was only when our new extension was opened for us and i was walking from the staff room to the front landing that leads to the stairs to pre school rooms, tweenie room, baby room and the front door that i noticed how different the two areas of the building felt. The new parts i felt completly alone but in the rest of the corridor that attachs to it i felt the buzz of spirits and did not feel on my own. There is a spiral staircase that goes up to a small attic room upstairs up from the pre school toilets. Next to pre school toilets you have the door leading to toddler 2 and the door leading to the back stairs. I once had the job of closing down toddler 2 and no one mentioned before hand that there was a spirit in the room. I soon knew myself as soon as i entered the room as my eye was drawn to the home corner where i could sense that there was a spirit standing there watching me. I can't see spirits just sense them and can pinpoint exactly where they are(though i would like to develop my gift so that i can) so i did not know who it was. I went about closing the room, tidying and hoovering all the while trying not to pay too much attention to the spirit in the home corner watching me. When i finished i closed the door and walked back up past the spiral staircase where i sensed another one from up the staircase but this one was not looking down. From outside however one day i just happened to look up at where the small attic room is in the building and i could tell there was a spirit watching out the window and knew exactly where he or she was looking out of at the precise moment.

On asking the staff about it i was then told that back when the building was a house a wee boy who lived there with his mother fell down the spiral staircase to his death. His mother used to sit up in the small attic room looking out for him coming home as you can see quite far from up there and to this day she still does. It is that wee boy who is in toddler 2 and though he just watched me he has played alot of tricks on other members of staff by making the clothes hangers suddenly fly of the rail in the home corner and making things float about in the air. He scared one member of staff silly one day with his tricks that she ran out screaming.

The whole nursery is buzzing with spirits but its all quiet ones that don't really want to stick out. But that wee boy just wants to play and he haunts toddler 2.

suzyq
28-Feb-10, 00:38
ghosts occur when there has been trauma usually a violent death for example

Not necessarily -
Our family are very practical, down-to-earth - and extremely cynical. However, we do keep an open mind on ghosts based on our own experiences - and for all those who believe in ghosts but always think they are from the dark side and are a result of some evil some reassurance. - And two bedtime stories for you.

Our close neighbour for over 25 years was a lovely old gentleman (and I mean a gentle man). He died peacefully in his sleep at home at the grand age of 88. After he died we all (four of us) separately, and frequently, experienced a presence when we were out in the garden. At the time, none of us were aware that anyone else had also experienced this and it was several months before any of us were aware the others had also experienced the same manifestation.

The old gentleman really loved his garden and at certain times during the day he would walk down his garden and stand at the bottom looking out over the fields. If any of us were in the garden he would always make a point of walking over to the fence for a chat. We believe after he died he continued this habit and once we realised what was apparently happening we always used to greet him in the same way as when he was alive.

Had it just been ourselves we would have dismissed this as a fanciful notion. However, a few years later we were talking to a young man who used to walk his dog along the field path and would frequently stop for a chat with the old gentleman (when he was alive!) - and the dog for a fuss. After the gentleman died he experienced the same manifestation and also his dog would stand at the gate gazing upwards making gentle whimpering noises as though for attention.

My mother as a young girl saw a ghost of a female one night when visiting an old house. She was sharing a bedroom with her sister. My mother woke at about 10pm to see an elderly lady with white hair and carrying a candle looking down at her and her sister. My mother said at the time she felt reassured by this ‘woman’. However, when the figure disappeared through a wall mother started screaming. At the time her mother told her she had just had a bad dream and it was not until several years later her mother eventually told her the truth.

The house where she was staying was half of an old farmhouse. The lady my mother had been staying with had inherited the house from her parents. When she inherited she had the house divided up in to two, opening up a new door in to the room where my mother had slept and bricking up the old one. The lady had explained that she used to sleep in the same room with her sister and every night her mother would look in on them before going to bed herself. Where my mother had seen the figure disappear through the wall was where the old door was. In retrospect my mother believes that two girls sleeping in the same room had triggered protective motherly instincts in the ghost.

So for all of those who believe in them and are frightened - ghosts don’t necessarily mean you harm.

Nightie Night, Sleep Tight

Vistravi
28-Feb-10, 01:16
Not necessarily -
Our family are very practical, down-to-earth - and extremely cynical. However, we do keep an open mind on ghosts based on our own experiences - and for all those who believe in ghosts but always think they are from the dark side and are a result of some evil some reassurance. - And two bedtime stories for you.

Our close neighbour for over 25 years was a lovely old gentleman (and I mean a gentle man). He died peacefully in his sleep at home at the grand age of 88. After he died we all (four of us) separately, and frequently, experienced a presence when we were out in the garden. At the time, none of us were aware that anyone else had also experienced this and it was several months before any of us were aware the others had also experienced the same manifestation.

The old gentleman really loved his garden and at certain times during the day he would walk down his garden and stand at the bottom looking out over the fields. If any of us were in the garden he would always make a point of walking over to the fence for a chat. We believe after he died he continued this habit and once we realised what was apparently happening we always used to greet him in the same way as when he was alive.

Had it just been ourselves we would have dismissed this as a fanciful notion. However, a few years later we were talking to a young man who used to walk his dog along the field path and would frequently stop for a chat with the old gentleman (when he was alive!) - and the dog for a fuss. After the gentleman died he experienced the same manifestation and also his dog would stand at the gate gazing upwards making gentle whimpering noises as though for attention.

My mother as a young girl saw a ghost of a female one night when visiting an old house. She was sharing a bedroom with her sister. My mother woke at about 10pm to see an elderly lady with white hair and carrying a candle looking down at her and her sister. My mother said at the time she felt reassured by this ‘woman’. However, when the figure disappeared through a wall mother started screaming. At the time her mother told her she had just had a bad dream and it was not until several years later her mother eventually told her the truth.

The house where she was staying was half of an old farmhouse. The lady my mother had been staying with had inherited the house from her parents. When she inherited she had the house divided up in to two, opening up a new door in to the room where my mother had slept and bricking up the old one. The lady had explained that she used to sleep in the same room with her sister and every night her mother would look in on them before going to bed herself. Where my mother had seen the figure disappear through the wall was where the old door was. In retrospect my mother believes that two girls sleeping in the same room had triggered protective motherly instincts in the ghost.

So for all of those who believe in them and are frightened - ghosts don’t necessarily mean you harm.

Nightie Night, Sleep Tight

In the flat i lived in mount vernon one of my neighbours cat was killed on the road coming in to thurso past the cemetry. When he was alive he'd often be at the end of the road leading to the flathouse and follow me back up to the flathouse to get in. I often came home from work at night to find him sitting on the window on our floor. About a week after he had passed over i was passing the wall he usually sat at and i sense him there. He followed me up to the flathouse and i let him in as i had done when he was alive. Sometimes i'd find him at the door to the flathouse wanting in as i did when he was alive. My sister mentioned she had seen him about a few days later and with her comfirmation that it was him i decided to say something to our neighbour who was missing him a great deal. She was delighted when i told her he was still around and thanked me for letting her know he was there.

My dad had a tom cat that would sleep around his head at night. He was run over and kicked about. It broke my dad's heart to see what someone had done to him after he had died. He told me though a while after that, that Leo was still around and still slept at his head every night. The tell tale signs of Leo was the feel of a cat jumping on their bed on my dad's side and my dad waking up feeling very hot around his head. When my dad was a boy his faithful pet dog died but was still there with him at night sleeping on his bed next to him.

dafi
28-Feb-10, 01:23
I love the ghosty stuff but am a bit suss about Kevins picture...did they only have black and white ghosts in the olden days..lol

Stavro
28-Feb-10, 05:03
Animals also, have as much a connection to the invisible world. There have been many amazing stories regarding this phenomenon. In fact animals may be more sensitive than people imagine! Small children are receptive because they are more open.

I have seen a few. :eek:

gleeber
28-Feb-10, 10:59

I'd just like to mention that my original post was an attempt at humour and I dont associate myself in any way with the opinions on this thread. :lol:

Sage
28-Feb-10, 13:01
I've seen too many to mention, but one of our old cats gave us a visit last night :)

Our first married house was an old miners cottage which had a lovely visitor...a little black cat, he used to rush past us on the stairs and sit in the doorway to the living room. Thing is you only saw half of him at a time, either the head half or the tail half. Was actually sad to leave him behind when we moved.

girnigoe
28-Feb-10, 13:25
Oh come on its obvious that pic is a fake! :) Some pics are easier to work out than others.

Sage
28-Feb-10, 13:28
yup, I agree with you, that is a total and obvious fake.

Isnt photoshop a wonderful thing ;)

girnigoe
28-Feb-10, 18:15
There are a good selection of more believable pics here

http://www.ourcuriousworld.com/FavGhostPXs.htm

I remember watching Arthur C Clarkes World of Strange Powers about this years ago and it scared the beejeesees oot o me :lol:

Sporran
28-Feb-10, 18:46

"The gallows hill of Thurso was in the rough ground to the west of Naver House. This is a typical site in a prominent position near the junction of the old roads to the south and west and within sight of the old road to Halkirk. There is a small grass covered mound which probably marks the spot; although there is also a tradition that hanging took place in the field opposite Scrabster Service Station. Who the Thurso executioner was and how often he was asked to perform his gruesome task is now lost. The only execution on record took place on the 25th May 1711 at the Mercat cross of Thurso. Where Robert Munro, who had been convicted at the Circuit Court in Inverness of complicity in the murder of Baillie Laurence Calder, met his end."

Here's some more information on the Thurso gallows, this time gleaned from my "Old Thurso - Caithness Notebook No.4", authored by Donald Grant in the mid 1960s:

"During the period of the Norse occupation, the gallows were usually erected within easy reach of the meeting place of the "ting" or "thing", the local law-court, so that justice could be done without delay and seen to be done. In this area the court met on Scrabster Hill where the remains of a broch retain the name Thing's Wa or "law-court field". Less than a mile away, on the slope to the south-west of Pennyland Farm, the gallows stood on the Gallahill. The story goes that many of the Halkirk men implicated in the murder and burning of Bishop Adam in 1222 were hanged here by King Alexander II."

My sister's in Heathfield Road, and they regularly have bother with a Muntergeist. It's like a Poltergeist but it moans all the time and is very irrational.
In the 1960's, apparently some Dounreay bloke was done in by his wife, who had bad PMS at the time. With a pair of garden shears. Nasty.

I lived in Thurso in the 1960s and 70s, and that's the first time I've heard of such a story. I'm sure I would have remembered something like that, had it really happened!!

Tubthumper
28-Feb-10, 18:51
I lived in Thurso in the 1960s and 70s, and that's the first time I've heard of such a story. I'm sure I would have remembered something like that, had it really happened!!
I believe there was a cover-up; apparently he was a bit of a big-shot at Dounreay and her father was a local JP. :eek:

suzyq
28-Feb-10, 23:17
I believe there was a cover-up; ...

More likely that it simply did not attract the publicity that unsolved murders get.

The simple fact is domestic murders rarely attract much publicity because they are solved practically as soon as committed and partly out of respect for other family members who not only have to cope with the death of a loved one but also the knowledge that another loved one was responsible. In these cases newspapers simply use the official press releases and many dont even bother sending a reporter.
The amount of publicity these murders get also depend on other news happening at the time. And let's face it a Jack the Ripper type unsolved murder story sells more newspapers than Mrs Smith stabbing her husband with the meat knife when she lost her temper.
If the woman had pleaded guilty at an early stage this too would not have attracted much attention. How many times have you perhaps heard of someone appearing in court being charged with murder and thought to yourself that you didn't even know there had been a murder!
As for her father being a JP. The case would have been dealt with outside the area because of possible conflict of interests, the difficulties in finding people who do not know the persons involved or of the incident etc. etc. Again this would not have attracted much interest from the newspapers - the local newspaper wouldn't bother to travel and the newspaper wherever the court case took place wouldn't bother because it was of no local interest.

Apart from which cover-up conspiracies are an American thing and certainly wouldn't have been in the North of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s.:lol:

ducati
28-Feb-10, 23:45
I'd just like to mention that my original post was an attempt at humour and I dont associate myself in any way with the opinions on this thread. :lol:

Too late Gleeber, you are now officially (you can't say nutter anymore) a person of "realistic dysfunction" :mad:

ducati
28-Feb-10, 23:51
More likely that it simply did not attract the publicity that unsolved murders get.

The simple fact is domestic murders rarely attract much publicity because they are solved practically as soon as committed and partly out of respect for other family members who not only have to cope with the death of a loved one but also the knowledge that another loved one was responsible. In these cases newspapers simply use the official press releases and many dont even bother sending a reporter.
The amount of publicity these murders get also depend on other news happening at the time. And let's face it a Jack the Ripper type unsolved murder story sells more newspapers than Mrs Smith stabbing her husband with the meat knife when she lost her temper.
If the woman had pleaded guilty at an early stage this too would not have attracted much attention. How many times have you perhaps heard of someone appearing in court being charged with murder and thought to yourself that you didn't even know there had been a murder!
As for her father being a JP. The case would have been dealt with outside the area because of possible conflict of interests, the difficulties in finding people who do not know the persons involved or of the incident etc. etc. Again this would not have attracted much interest from the newspapers - the local newspaper wouldn't bother to travel and the newspaper wherever the court case took place wouldn't bother because it was of no local interest.

Apart from which cover-up conspiracies are an American thing and certainly wouldn't have been in the North of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s.:lol:

A fine piece of analysis Suzyq. You will go far on this forum.

BTW are you the susyq that was a poster on my bedroom wall when I was a young? I still like wearing leather :cool:

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-10, 03:50

Do you really think the Caithness Courier and the John o' Groats Journal wouldn't have reported on this alleged case? :roll:

ducati
01-Mar-10, 09:23
I believe there was a cover-up; apparently he was a bit of a big-shot at Dounreay and her father was a local JP. :eek:

Now look what you've done :eek:

Tubthumper
01-Mar-10, 17:25
Ducati, don't you start on me with your anti-conspiracy no cover-up nonsense - these things should be exposed! They can't be allowed to get away with it!

suzyq
01-Mar-10, 23:22
BTW are you the susyq that was a poster on my bedroom wall when I was a young? I still like wearing leather :cool:

No - and unfortunately I haven't aged as well as that one.

ducati
01-Mar-10, 23:30
Ducati, don't you start on me with your anti-conspiracy no cover-up nonsense - these things should be exposed! They can't be allowed to get away with it!

You've edited this. Bad Tubthumper [evil]

ducati
02-Mar-10, 00:02
No - and unfortunately I haven't aged as well as that one.

Now you see, this is why men shouldn't be allowed to talk to women.

Do I say: Oh I am sure you have? :eek:

Tubthumper
02-Mar-10, 18:03
You've edited this. Bad Tubthumper [evil]
I never did!:confused You think I'm paranoid, don't you! :eek:

Anyway, I suspect that the 'Groat' may have been guilty of missing the odd bit of interesting story now and again. I seem to remember tales of local business persons mysteriously ceasing. Possibly as a result of injunctions.... but who knows?

Heathfield Road = Riddled with spooks of all types.

suzyq
02-Mar-10, 23:18
Now you see, this is why men shouldn't be allowed to talk to women.

Do I say: Oh I am sure you have? :eek:

Naah! I'm known for calling a spade a flippin' shovel myself - and frequently do so when I've just looked in the mirror.:Razz

John Little
03-Mar-10, 12:57
Well I was a kid on Calder Drive in the early 60s, just round the corner from Heathfield rd and remember the houses being built. I never heard of any ghosts there though.
But one ghost I can tell you about- the Mount Vernon spook.

There was a lady living on St Andrew's drive who was worried about her cat not being in and got up in the small hours of the morning calling 'Louey' out the door. Hearing no cat she put on her long white dressing gown and a headscarf and set off down the road .... and knowing the cat's habits went into the cemetery, it being broad moonlight, and wandered too and fro calling the cat's name - she found him just as the snow started.

She did not know that a lady at the back of Tormsdale place had seen her and she and her husband were watching in fear as the poor unquiet soul moaned about the cemetery. And of course next day there were no tracks in the snow...
The story went round the estate like wildfire- and my mother told the cat lady over coffee... who realised she was the ghost.
They never told anyone- I wonder if the story is still current????

David Banks
18-Feb-16, 16:32
Well I was a kid on Calder Drive in the early 60s, just round the corner from Heathfield rd and remember the houses being built. I never heard of any ghosts there though.
But one ghost I can tell you about- the Mount Vernon spook.

There was a lady living on St Andrew's drive who was worried about her cat not being in and got up in the small hours of the morning calling 'Louey' out the door. Hearing no cat she put on her long white dressing gown and a headscarf and set off down the road .... and knowing the cat's habits went into the cemetery, it being broad moonlight, and wandered too and fro calling the cat's name - she found him just as the snow started.

She did not know that a lady at the back of Tormsdale place had seen her and she and her husband were watching in fear as the poor unquiet soul moaned about the cemetery. And of course next day there were no tracks in the snow...
The story went round the estate like wildfire- and my mother told the cat lady over coffee... who realised she was the ghost.
They never told anyone- I wonder if the story is still current????

Read more about this in "A Childhood in Hyperborea" - or - "Possibly Ghosts", possibly.