PDA

View Full Version : Improvised bird bath

Liz
26-Feb-10, 19:34
My concrete bird bath is broken and the replacement one I ordered online is out of stock and won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

I am looking for ideas on what I can use meantime? I know a dustbin lid would be good but, unfortunately, don't have one.:confused

unicorn
26-Feb-10, 19:37
How about a baking tray or an old washing basin cut down.

Liz
26-Feb-10, 19:41
Cheers for the ideas Unicorn.:D

Don't have a baking tray but that's a good idea. I do have a washing basin I used to cover the hedgehog food so will try to adapt it for the birdies.

unicorn
26-Feb-10, 20:07
Another thing I have done is cut the side out of 2 litre coke bottles and set them in the gutter of my shed for the birds to use, they fit really well and I used a lighter along the edges so they were not sharp.

Kenn
26-Feb-10, 23:18
I used a large shallow plastic box with a brick in one corner for a very long time, was large enough that the birds could have a bath and gave the little ones a way of just sipping and an escape route if they decided to take the plunge.
The brick also made sure it did n't blow off the pedestal!

Liz
26-Feb-10, 23:44
Thanks Lizz. That is a good idea. Now where can I get a large shallow plastic box. Hmmmmmm.......

unicorn
26-Feb-10, 23:58
Litter tray...:D

Liz
27-Feb-10, 00:08
Litter tray...:D

Great minds think alike (or is it fools seldom differ?lol).

I was just coming back on to say that I think I have plastic litter tray in the shed and will look tomorrow in the daylight.
Hopefully, will have happy birdies tomorrow.:lol:

Cheers both. xxx

Ricco
27-Feb-10, 09:54
I use an old dustbin lid on the allotment. Simply upturn it and sink it in the earth, then fill with water.

Liz
27-Feb-10, 13:07
I use an old dustbin lid on the allotment. Simply upturn it and sink it in the earth, then fill with water.

Yes that is a good idea as well Ricco but I don't have an old dustbin lid.

Anji
27-Feb-10, 19:28
Why not use a seed tray? Your new bird bath should have been delivered before you need to start planting seeds.

Liz
27-Feb-10, 19:30
Why not use a seed tray? Your new bird bath should have been delivered before you need to start planting seeds.

Won't this have holes in it? If not, it's a good idea but afraid I don't have any as don't have a greenhouse so not able to grow plants from seed.

Anji
27-Feb-10, 19:53
No, seed trays don't have holes, but if you don't have any seed trays, my suggestion's no good to you anyway.
Sorry, I can't come up with a better idea. I just hope you don't have to wait too long for your delivery.

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 22:06
Did you manage to make something up Liz?

Liz
27-Feb-10, 23:41
No, seed trays don't have holes, but if you don't have any seed trays, my suggestion's no good to you anyway.
Sorry, I can't come up with a better idea. I just hope you don't have to wait too long for your delivery.
Shows you that I'm not a gardener then!:lol:

Did you manage to make something up Liz?

Yes I found a litter tray and put a brick in it. Guess what? The flipping birdies never used it!!!!:roll:

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 23:45
Just typical eh :roll:

Liz
27-Feb-10, 23:53
I know! They were the same when I got new hanging feeders. Wouldn't go near them despite keeping them up for quite a few weeks.