PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Regrets

Venture
26-Feb-10, 10:23
Tattoos on women seems to be the "in" thing at the moment. I personally don't mind them on others, in moderation. I certainly have never, in all the time I have been married, had the urge to tell the world who I am, by having it emblazoned on the back of my neck. I'd rather just write it down for all to see.:lol:

I think we are all aware of the comings and goings at the moment between Cheryl and Ashley Cole. When they were an item she proudly displayed her famous Mrs C tattoo whenever she had the chance. Not any more it would seem and who could blame her for now wanting to have it removed. She can well afford to have the costly treatment to remove it and I'm sure the pain involved will remind her of the "cheat" she married.

I just wondered how many of you out there, who have tattoos, now have regrets about having them done, particularly if they include the names of someone you are no longer with. Would you now have them removed if you could afford to?

achingale
26-Feb-10, 10:34
I always think that if someone gets a tattoo they should never ever get the name of their partner done. If they have children and want to do that, then fine, but not a partner. As you have pointed out Venture, relationships can break up and I think you would want to get rid of the tattoo. I think it is fairly expensive to get the laser treatment so us mere mortals may be stuck with it and can only cover it up with make-up.

ShelleyCowie
26-Feb-10, 10:38
I wouldnt get my OH's name tattooed on me. As much as i love him i just wouldnt. As you said you never know what can happen.

I have 4 tattoos at the moment. One of them being Athruns name on my wrist which my OH actually tattooed on me. :) 2 of my other tattoos were designed by him. So thats personal enough.

Dont regret any of my tattoos. And i know i want more :D But all tattoos i get have a meaning to me.

Julia
26-Feb-10, 10:53
I'd never get a guy's name tattooed on my body, I do however have the names of my three children.

My tattooist won't actually do a partner's name which I think is great, a tattooist that will or agrees to tattoo hands, face or neck is best to be avoided.

Venture
26-Feb-10, 11:03
Children's names are fine but a lot of other name tattoos are done on the spur of the moment without any thought about how things might change. At the time they all think they have found their soul mate and want to show the world by having his or her's name tattooed on their body. Bad idea. Far too many relationships only last a bang nowadays. In fact it's easier to get rid of the man/woman than it is the tattoo. [lol]

changilass
26-Feb-10, 11:08
I don't have any at all - dread to think what they will look like 60 or 70 years down the line, what with sagging skin, fading and wrinkles.

I do think some of them are very artistic, just not for me.

Venture
26-Feb-10, 11:21
I don't have any at all - dread to think what they will look like 60 or 70 years down the line, what with sagging skin, fading and wrinkles.

You're right changi some of them are works of art. Men don't seem to suffer from the "body collapse" that women do and tattoos look fine even on older men. Sweet old Grannies with tattooed ankles and arms is definitely a sign of things to come. :lol:

Hibeechick
26-Feb-10, 11:41

Ah, we wont look any different than anyone else sitting in the nursing home beside us ;) It will be the norm by then.

Re tattooing on the hand. Ive got one on the side of my hand, no reason to question the tattooist that did it.

fred
26-Feb-10, 12:12
I don't see that someone getting a tattoo in itself does anyone any harm.

I wouldn't judge a person on whether they have a tattoo or not, I judge people on the things they say and do. Having a tattoo doesn't make someone a bad person, saying things to deliberately offend others for no reason does.

brandy
26-Feb-10, 12:13
*laughs* i have one on the back of my shoulder.. celtic cross and around it is written in memory of Portia..
when my Godmother died, we all went and had tattoos done. seven tat done on the same day.. by the same artist.. mine and susies are smaller ones.. and the boys all had big celtic crosses done either on their arm or back. each one is slightly dif.
even though it was a spur of the moment thing that we did, none of us have ever regretted it. in fact we are all quite proud of them. its is a silent way that we can all come together in rememberance of our mother.
i do have a dragon tat on my leg that if i had been older and wiser.. i so would not have gotten. however i dont regret it.. i look at it and think back to how happy i was then, how carefree and footloose. the friends that came along for that ride, and what complete idiots we were! they are really good memories, and seeing the tat reminds me of that time in my life. however, over the winter time.. my poor dragon gets a beard *w*

DopeyDan
26-Feb-10, 12:50
I have 4 tattoos at the moment. One of them being Athruns name on my wrist which my OH actually tattooed on me. :) 2 of my other tattoos were designed by him.

....sorry...I can't seem to find the 'cringe' symbol on my keyboard.

ShelleyCowie
26-Feb-10, 13:19
....sorry...I can't seem to find the 'cringe' symbol on my keyboard.

Em whats that supposed to mean? :confused

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 13:20
I always think that if someone gets a tattoo they should never ever get the name of their partner done. If they have children and want to do that, then fine, but not a partner. As you have pointed out Venture, relationships can break up and I think you would want to get rid of the tattoo. I think it is fairly expensive to get the laser treatment so us mere mortals may be stuck with it and can only cover it up with make-up.

I completly agree. I would never get a partner's name tattoed on me. I'm thinking of having one with my baby's name on it in the future though. I have two tattoos and they were both done for a reason. If they look bad when i am 80 odd i can proudly say that they were done for a reason and i would do it again.

bobbyrussell09
26-Feb-10, 15:07
i have 3 tats an i love them 1 was a rangers 1 designed on the day i got it done by my oh the other 2 were picked by maself ,i also have a space ready for the bairns names when they come

Tugmistress
26-Feb-10, 15:23
I have 14 tattoos, back, legs, upper arms and right boob and i don't regret any of them. the first was done when i was 16, that's over 25 years ago now, i do have my ex husbands name in one of them and i'll defy anyone to find it ;)

fred
26-Feb-10, 16:00
I have 14 tattoos, back, legs, upper arms and right boob and i don't regret any of them. the first was done when i was 16, that's over 25 years ago now, i do have my ex husbands name in one of them and i'll defy anyone to find it ;)

If it's the one on your right boob I don't mind you defying me to find it.

young_fishin_neep
26-Feb-10, 16:49

i know were it is :P and that cheating cuz its not his proper name :P

i have 4 tatoos, only 2 have meaning to them though, and trust me i plan on getting more :)

xxx

Fluff
26-Feb-10, 17:20
It's funny I was thinking last night about getting another tattoo (I have a small coloured star on my left forearm) and trying to decide where to get it (still haven't decided)
It took me years just to decide on my star, I would never rush into getting a tattoo done. And as much as we don't want to admit it, the majority of people do judge people by their looks, even if only for a fleeting moment.
I work as a manager in a large chain of opticians, we have a wide age range (but alot of 'older' customers) I know it would not look good if I sat down to sort out a problem etc and was covered in tattoos.

I do think if you are going to get one though, it should be somewhere you have the option of showing it off, or covering it up.

joxville
26-Feb-10, 19:40
One of my tattoos is my intials intertwined with my ex-wife's intials. I don't regret having it done, it's an expression of how I felt at the time and it still holds wonderful memories for me. To have it covered over or removed would be like trying to erase memories of some of the best days of my life.

George Brims
26-Feb-10, 19:47
On American TV there is a reality show called "Pawn Stars" about this family that has a pawn shop in Las Vegas. There are three generations, Grandpa, Dad and son in the business. The son bought a tattoo machine some bloke brought in, but instead of selling it he traded it to a tattoo shop for a new piece of art on one arm. Grandpa was livid and the Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Then out came the story of Grandpa's one tattoo, which he got when he was in the Navy and stationed in Japan. It has Grandma's name, SPELLED WRONG! Needless to say, alcohol was involved.

Bazeye
26-Feb-10, 20:17
Whats with all the folk going round with their kids names on their arms in Hindi, Sanskrit, Japanese etc? Ive yet to see an Indian, Chinese or whatever with English tattoos? I bet half the time the tattoos dont say what theyre supposed to anyway.

Bazeye
26-Feb-10, 20:21
Oh, and while Im on a bit of a rant, why your kids date of birth in Roman numerals? (usually on the back of the neck)

DopeyDan
26-Feb-10, 20:23
Whats with all the folk going round with their kids names on their arms in Hindi, Sanskrit, Japanese etc?

Probably because someone off the telly, or some chav in OK Magazine has it done.

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:21
Whats with all the folk going round with their kids names on their arms in Hindi, Sanskrit, Japanese etc? Ive yet to see an Indian, Chinese or whatever with English tattoos? I bet half the time the tattoos dont say what theyre supposed to anyway.

Why must it be in english Bazeye? A tattoo is for the person who gets it done on their body not for everyone else.

Whats with the generalistion(sp) of people? People are not always what they seem on the outside. You can not judge a book by its cover.

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:22
Probably because someone off the telly, or some chav in OK Magazine has it done.

Or because they wanted it done......:roll:

ducati
26-Feb-10, 23:26
Why must it be in english Bazeye? A tattoo is for the person who gets it done on their body not for everyone else.

Whats with the generalistion(sp) of people? People are not always what they seem on the outside. You can not judge a book by its cover.

I agree to an extent but I wouldn't have a tattoo and I'm a biker (and tatooed bikers make me nervous (along with dodgy beards:eek:) But its your body. Me I'll stick with perfection [lol]

DopeyDan
26-Feb-10, 23:26
You can not judge a book by its cover.

Depends who is on the cover.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xrXNCOBFa00/Sb1R77Vc_VI/AAAAAAAAAXI/D3NqPuTGzdE/s400/chav!.jpg

Vistravi
26-Feb-10, 23:38
I agree to an extent but I wouldn't have a tattoo and I'm a biker (and tatooed bikers make me nervous (along with dodgy beards:eek:) But its your body. Me I'll stick with perfection [lol]

I have two and though my partner would never have one himself he does like mine. I designed them myself and spent a long time getting the design right to what i wanted. My first one was easy once i found the right rose design but my second one, my butterfly tattoo on my right forearm was a 6 month serach untill i found the one that just screamed "Me!" at me. My partner was really impressed with the amount of detail in my butterfly tattoo but like i said he would never get one down himself.

I would like a third one with our child's name on it but not sure on the design so it will be a year or so before that one is ready to be put on if of course the memory of the pain i had with my butterfly tattoo isn't enough to put me off :lol:

telfordstar
26-Feb-10, 23:46
Ihave 2 tattoos one down at the bottom of my back and one at the top of my neck. My neck one is 3 stars and each one has the initial of each of my kids in each star. My next one is planned for the inside of my right wrist again will probably be in respect to my 3 kids.

Jeid
27-Feb-10, 01:22
My tattoo thoughts are, never get something that doesn't mean anything, never get a partners name and never get something spur of the moment.

Bazeye
27-Feb-10, 01:28
If anything ever happens to my OH, I'll just change my name by deed poll to Jan and tell everyone I'm Dutch.

Bazeye
27-Feb-10, 01:29
My tattoo thoughts are, never get something that doesn't mean anything, never get a partners name and never get something spur of the moment.

What about a football team? Definitely a no no with me.

theone
27-Feb-10, 01:54
There was a story I heard years ago, at a party in Thurso an amateur tattooist was asked by a mate to give him a tattoo. At first he refused, but as the night wore on, and more beer was consumed, he cracked, and out came the needle.

Next morning, many sore heads woke up in the carnage.

The 'victim' looked down at the bloody toilet roll on his arm with horror in his eyes.

He pulled by the 'bandage' slowly, eyes shut, but was delighted when he heard sighs of relief from those watching. On his arm was a beautiful piper in full highland dress, from shoulder to elbow.

'Close one that' he thought.

Until someone pointed out that there is only one 'T' in Scotland!!!

It might be a total lie, but I wouldn't want the truth to get in the way of a good story!

bobbyrussell09
27-Feb-10, 02:32
What about a football team? Definitely a no no with me.
oh well i got 2 tattos that are to do with footie team ,and i dont regret them 1 was designed by my oh an i love it,still want one designed by shelley oh tho

Bazeye
27-Feb-10, 12:40
Until someone pointed out that there is only one 'T' in Scotland!!!

You could always use the other one, for in The Park.

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 12:56
I have 2 but nobody really ever see's them as they are high on my arms and I am not into flaunting myself [lol]
I got them done for me not for anyone else so I am happy that I can see them if I want to.

bobbyrussell09
27-Feb-10, 14:25
i quite fancy getting an elvish tatto round my left wrist ,always loved that writing after i read the lord of the rings books

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 14:33
I did fancy a daisy chain on my ankle but then I thought "god what if I get fat ankles when I am old"

Bazeye
27-Feb-10, 14:37
I did fancy a daisy chain on my ankle but then I thought "god what if I get fat ankles when I am old"

It might snap.

unicorn
27-Feb-10, 14:40
Or turn into sunflowers [lol]

Bazeye
27-Feb-10, 18:11
i quite fancy getting an elvish tatto round my left wrist ,always loved that writing after i read the lord of the rings books

Presshley, You been tippling?