PDA

View Full Version : £4 Million Sports centre in Halkirk

ullevi
14-May-06, 13:11
Where is this going to situated just saw a bit about on tv?

Alexander Sinclair leaving £1.3 million for a sports centre in Halkirk

footie chick
14-May-06, 13:24
in field at back of recreation park

Tickle
14-May-06, 13:29
This is great news for Halkirk and all sport minded people.

Venture
14-May-06, 19:50
Thought there was going to be one built in Wick. Whats happened to it.

Bobinovich
15-May-06, 19:55
Heard today that he's willing to double his donation if the remaining funding isn't forthcoming, but between CASE, Sports Council, Highland Council, and the rest of the funding bodies surely that won't be necessary.

Also saw with much interest that an ice rink might be added. With the sad demise of the rink at Brora this would be a great idea. I know there are a lot of local curling enthusiasts and I think ice skating would take off locally. Does anyone remember that Lidl's had ice skates in recently!! Maybe they had some insider knowledge ;)

Finally I think Halkirk is a perfect place for it. It means that no-one is going to cry favouritism as it would if Wick or Thurso got it, and (and I'm not being nasty here) Halkirk really doesn't have much else to offer so this would bring people into the village which may itself encourage more inward investment.

obiron
15-May-06, 19:59
ooooh an ice rink would be great. what happened to the one at brora?

Bobinovich
15-May-06, 20:19
ooooh an ice rink would be great. what happened to the one at brora?

It was part of the Royal Marine Hotel complex and was mostly used for curling rather than skating. They decided it was not viable and have closed it - forcing local curlers to visit Inverness rink instead.

As a by-product of keeping the rink cold they managed to heat a lovely wee pool which frequently had steam rising and I remember reaching temperatures of 100F!!!

footie chick
16-May-06, 14:38
"the whole centre is expected to cost £4":eek:

quote from the front page of org. It's going to be on a much smaller scale if its only costing £4.00!!:lol:

JimH
16-May-06, 22:36
Where is this going to situated just saw a bit about on tv?

Alexander Sinclair leaving £1.3 million for a sports centre in Halkirk
Next field after the Football ground.

A_Usher
17-May-06, 16:19
Would be great for Halkirk, and overall a good idea.