PDA

View Full Version : scottish geneology records?

brandy
25-Feb-10, 08:34
hiya guys,
where online can i look up scottish records? births marrige deaths ect.. parrish records. i know that ancestrey dosent have much.. its all england and wales. i know that there is a website but cant remember what it is! something thats down in edinburgh if i remember correctly!
thanks for any help!

scotsmabel
25-Feb-10, 08:43
Hi Brandy
What you are looking for is - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)
They have all the records for Scotland, its a great place to visit:D if you are ever down in Edinburgh.
Regards
Scotsmabel

brandy
25-Feb-10, 08:59
i was looking on that and couldnt find anything! grrr...

Oddquine
25-Feb-10, 14:01
Given the spelling in those days was just as idiosyncratic as it is getting nowadays.......always tick the Soundex box when searching. ;)

If it is the OPRs you are searching......afraid that is a hit or a miss.......never managed to find much on them at all........and what little I could find I mostly couldn't identify for sure, anyway. :~(

brandy
25-Feb-10, 14:58
what is driving me batty is peoples names! why would you name your baby one name and then call them another? i mean my name is Jessica Brandy and i am called Brandy.. but brandy is my name... its on my birth cert. however.. its a daft scots thing to name your baby jessie call them janet annie call them nancy.. its not even as is its derivitives of the name. i can understand robert.. billy bobbie rab Rob... William ..willie bill ect.. but the ones im running into have nothing in common! right now im stuck.. i have a Willam Sutherland Mackenzie.. on his birth cirt. it says parents William Mackenzie and Ann Mackenzie.. now the only link i can find anywhere is on ancestry.co.uk and it links to Alexander Mackenzie and Ann Mackenzie as being the parents of William Sutherland Mackenzie.. getting fed up now *Grrrr*

Russell
25-Feb-10, 22:13
Hi Oddquine

You suggested using Soundex. Sometimes you get too many results that way. Since you can use wildcards on the Scotlandspeople website you can get better results.
I've tried both ways and Soundex ended up gey expensive.

Russell

Oddquine
26-Feb-10, 00:50
what is driving me batty is peoples names! why would you name your baby one name and then call them another? i mean my name is Jessica Brandy and i am called Brandy.. but brandy is my name... its on my birth cert. however.. its a daft scots thing to name your baby jessie call them janet annie call them nancy.. its not even as is its derivitives of the name. i can understand robert.. billy bobbie rab Rob... William ..willie bill ect.. but the ones im running into have nothing in common! right now im stuck.. i have a Willam Sutherland Mackenzie.. on his birth cirt. it says parents William Mackenzie and Ann Mackenzie.. now the only link i can find anywhere is on ancestry.co.uk and it links to Alexander Mackenzie and Ann Mackenzie as being the parents of William Sutherland Mackenzie.. getting fed up now *Grrrr*

Ach.....I spent two years looking for my great grandfather's parents from the info on his wedding certificate........only to find once I had come across his death certificate that somebody had had a brainfart at the wedding...and got his father's name wrong.

Given that there are repeated same name children in every generation, variations on a theme were the easiest way of differentiating between your sister, your cousin and your daughter.

Not so many problems nowadays as there is less tendency to carry family names down the family line.

I'd be more inclined not to take a lot of notice of ancestry.co.uk........Scotland's People have copies of actual certificates...ancestry, as far as I'm aware doesn't.

Oddquine
26-Feb-10, 00:51
Hi Oddquine

You suggested using Soundex. Sometimes you get too many results that way. Since you can use wildcards on the Scotlandspeople website you can get better results.
I've tried both ways and Soundex ended up gey expensive.

Russell

Never thought to try that.......thanks for the tip.

brandy
26-Feb-10, 07:21
i would give scotlandpeople a huge thumbs up if it didnt cost 6 pounds for 30 entires. cost 1 entry to look up a name then 5 more entries to look at the details of said name.. and then if you look up anything else in relation to said info its another entry for that as well.

scotsmabel
26-Feb-10, 09:53
Hi Brandy
Go to your main library and you can purchase vouchers much cheaper for scotlands people.
Your first purchase will cost £6 for 60 credits, that price is a one off, after that it's £4 odds for 30 credits instead of £6. Hope that helps.

Scotsmabel

Rosemary Skea
26-Feb-10, 09:54
i would give scotlandpeople a huge thumbs up if it didnt cost 6 pounds for 30 entires. cost 1 entry to look up a name then 5 more entries to look at the details of said name.. and then if you look up anything else in relation to said info its another entry for that as well.

Have you looked on FREECEN and FREEREG? Not all Caithness parishes are available but those which have been transcribed are free.

Rosemary

Oddquine
26-Feb-10, 13:32

Not too bad if you have a fair idea of what you are looking for...and much, much better that the site used to be before it was Scotland's people..there were no online copies and you had to pay £10+ for one hard copy certificate.

I didn't find it overly expensive initially, as I used it to confirm info I had already gathered from familysearch starting from grandparents certificate details.

It is becoming more expensive now as I am going sideways......and all my names are common, and, what is more, duplicated in various different lines. Scares me when I think how much 44 pages of searches and 22 pages of viewed images would have cost under the old system. :)

Oddquine
26-Feb-10, 13:35
Hi Brandy
Go to your main library and you can purchase vouchers much cheaper for scotlands people.
Your first purchase will cost £6 for 60 credits, that price is a one off, after that it's £4 odds for 30 credits instead of £6. Hope that helps.

Scotsmabel

Now that is a new bit of info. That all libraries everywhere.....or just those main ones in each county?

sasenach
26-Feb-10, 22:21
Hi
Can these cut price credits be purchased from libraries in England?
Kathleen

scotsmabel
27-Feb-10, 10:32
I have looked into the Scotlands people library vouchers, Inverness seems to be your nearest library to purchase them.
Go to your library in caithness and get them to order the vouchers, you should be able to get them on the day of ordering.
You pay your own library and they give you a code which they get from Inverness.
Can't see why all main librarys should not sell them, but they say there is no demand for them from the North.

scotsmabel
27-Feb-10, 10:37
Don't know if you can get these vouchers from English libraries, your library should be able to order them for you.