PDA

View Full Version : Ths

tartanyorkie
25-Feb-10, 08:17
Does anyone else find the school closure site confusing? Does it mean the school is closed to all, or just the ones who use the Harpsdale, Spital, Westerdale bus?

chaz
25-Feb-10, 08:21
Does anyone else find the school closure site confusing? Does it mean the school is closed to all, or just the ones who use the Harpsdale, Spital, Westerdale bus?

Yes its just the above bus ! Mine arnt going as we cant get out, but they are ment to go.Still snowing here.

tartanyorkie
25-Feb-10, 08:25
It is OK. I rang the Severe Weather information number and it says the school is open as transport is running normally except for that bus!

brandy
25-Feb-10, 08:25
the roads are suppose to be quite bad inland.. so dont know how many country kids or teachers wil be able to get it. according to the dounreay weather line the roads are open and passable with care.. should be updated at 9 or before if any change. any country folk to tell us what its like?

scrabster view
25-Feb-10, 08:27

http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/index.asp?areaid=1

chaz
25-Feb-10, 08:29
Sorry iv just read my reply and it seems abrupt towards your question, not having a good morning,am horrified at the other country kids expected to travel in this.Wasnt aimed at you:)

tartanyorkie
25-Feb-10, 08:33
Closed to all now.

tartanyorkie
25-Feb-10, 08:37
Lol, it is ok Chaz,I did not think your reply was abrupt. I was just amazed that they expected kids from out here to go stand in the snow for a bus that most likely would not come. Most probably if they got there we would then have the palaver of the school sending them home again which is usually chaos.

chaz
25-Feb-10, 08:39
Lol, it is ok Chaz,I did not think your reply was abrupt. I was just amazed that they expected kids from out here to go stand in the snow for a bus that most likely would not come. Most probably if they got there we would then have the palaver of the school sending them home again which is usually chaos.

Lol yes that would be the usual chaos:lol:

Lavenderblue2
25-Feb-10, 08:43
My daughter who works in THS has phoned the school and it is open to all apart from those affected by the aforementioned bus route. :confused

chaz
25-Feb-10, 08:46
It does say on school closure site and mfr its closed , maybe some not updated:confused

dragonfly
25-Feb-10, 08:46
it just said on MFR that the high school is closed - didn't mention anything about bus routes only - tried phoning number but got message saying network busy!!

unicorn
25-Feb-10, 09:05
The website says closed so I am sticking with that.

DOLLY30
25-Feb-10, 09:06
I just phoned number again as husband also heard on mfr that ths was closed and does state on website. But however 0870 number still saying it is open. Very confusing.

alanatkie
25-Feb-10, 09:07
If the website & MFR both say closed I would go with that.

gollach
25-Feb-10, 09:22
If the website & MFR both say closed I would go with that.

the internet never lies :lol:

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-10, 09:23
whats bugging me is that the High school is closed, but pennyland are still waiting and waiting to see if they are open. So far its open! :confused

DOLLY30
25-Feb-10, 09:24
THS own website is even saying closed. Not very good that she has not updated the 0870 number if they have changed there mind about it being open. Am going with websites and not sending mine. :)

Katy
25-Feb-10, 09:26
Miller are doing the same Shelley, so annoying considering the first message was at 7.20....now I can't even get through on the 0870 number to check. Not wanting to come into town to get told its closed....
Katy x

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-10, 09:28
Miller are doing the same Shelley, so annoying considering the first message was at 7.20....now I can't even get through on the 0870 number to check. Not wanting to come into town to get told its closed....
Katy x

Glad to know its not just Pennyland then. Im about to phone the reception. Will get back to you.

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-10, 09:31
I phoned Pennyland and still all the receptionist said was "so far we are open but its still being reviewed" :eek: Eh? When do i get an answer.

I cant get through to the severe weather line now either.

This is really annoying now. :(

Maybe try phoning miller then?

Katy
25-Feb-10, 09:34
I just got the helpline and still the 7.20am message which is bascially saying the same thing. We are due to leave soon to get into town....when are they going to tell us?!
Surely they know if its ok or not by now?
Katy xx

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-10, 09:37
I just got the helpline and still the 7.20am message which is bascially saying the same thing. We are due to leave soon to get into town....when are they going to tell us?!
Surely they know if its ok or not by now?
Katy xx

how far do you have to travel? I wouldnt say its worth it Katy. Its snowing again here. My OH and me are deciding whether to send his 2 boys or not still. Its not looking good because its getting bad again.

Also we are going to wick for an appointment. Dont want to go then get a call that they are getting sent home.

unicorn
25-Feb-10, 09:38
I remember this happening years ago in Mount pleasant and getting there in a blizzard and the head standing at gates saying we have closed. The bairn loved it but I was not amused :lol:

Katy
25-Feb-10, 09:40
We are up at Hill of Forss so our road is always bad! Phoned the school and it is open :O but I said I wasn't putting her due to the road but good job as looking out the window it isn't half snowing out there!!!! Like you said Shelley we would just end up getting a phone call to come get them!!
Katy xx

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-10, 09:47
We are up at Hill of Forss so our road is always bad! Phoned the school and it is open :O but I said I wasn't putting her due to the road but good job as looking out the window it isn't half snowing out there!!!! Like you said Shelley we would just end up getting a phone call to come get them!!
Katy xx

Glad you arent travelling. Conditions can worsen quickly. My OH and me decided this 2 arent going either. Not worth it.

Getting my step dad to take me to wick aswell. He is a very cafeful driver in the snow.

Idlewild
25-Feb-10, 10:01
My kids are off to school, phoned Pennyland and they are open we are just round the corner so are very lucky!

Have seen High School kids heading back home though so have kept my oldest at home who is ecstatic lol.

Katy
25-Feb-10, 10:07
Glad you arent travelling. Conditions can worsen quickly. My OH and me decided this 2 arent going either. Not worth it.

Getting my step dad to take me to wick aswell. He is a very cafeful driver in the snow.

Defo not worth putting them, I'll give it an hour and bet they will all get sent home! So glad I didn't risk going into town by looking out the window its wild!!!
Take care going to Wick, its good though that you have a careful experienced driver taking you though.
Katy xx

unicorn
25-Feb-10, 10:23
I think we are in for more snow by the look of the sky. Either that or it will rain [lol]

Dadie
25-Feb-10, 10:26
The side roads at Watten are yucky!
With wet slippy snow... I was on foot though and never ventured to the main road ...as I was beginning to say bad words pushing the double buggy and pulling a sledge!

Cattach
25-Feb-10, 10:26

I dont thin they expected school to stand in the snow they fully realise it is your decision to send or not send - they just the info and you make up your own mind. The responsibility is yours so do not suggest blame to anyone else.

Cattach
25-Feb-10, 10:30
I remember this happening years ago in Mount pleasant and getting there in a blizzard and the head standing at gates saying we have closed. The bairn loved it but I was not amused :lol:

If you decide to take your child to school ina blizzard that becomes your problem. I would make my own mind up and judge the weather myself. Do you expect school staff to stay up all night watching the weather!

unicorn
25-Feb-10, 10:39
Yes at the time I did not realise that and it was the only school in the county open that day, I did learn after that day that it was actually my choice to put her or not.

davem
25-Feb-10, 10:43
No but posting school is open at 7.12 when the weather was horrific at 9 and 11 last night with a severe weather warning this am is not wise don't you think Cattach? If I'd bothered waking my daughter she'd have been trotting down the track as the website updated. For kids who have to catch buses at 7.40 I don't think it unreasonable to have a decision by 7.20. Looking out of the window and checking the met office at 10 past 7 isn't too much to ask.

chaz
25-Feb-10, 10:50
No but posting school is open at 7.12 when the weather was horrific at 9 and 11 last night with a severe weather warning this am is not wise don't you think Cattach? If I'd bothered waking my daughter she'd have been trotting down the track as the website updated. For kids who have to catch buses at 7.40 I don't think it unreasonable to have a decision by 7.20. Looking out of the window and checking the met office at 10 past 7 isn't too much to ask.

I agree mine have to be left the house also by 7.40, to be driven by back roads to meet bus,so its mainly my decision to put them or not in bad weather.

scrabster view
25-Feb-10, 15:40
At the end of the day, whether its snowing or not, whether the schools are open or closed, regardless of what message is left on the school's weather line, its the parents decision on whether to send their kids to school.

davem
25-Feb-10, 15:56
That is what the director of education said, but kids are happier if they are off officially.
Posting that school is open at 7.12 makes the decision to keep kids off harder. Likewise the adverse weather line - that was later in being updated.

chaz
25-Feb-10, 17:11
At the end of the day, whether its snowing or not, whether the schools are open or closed, regardless of what message is left on the school's weather line, its the parents decision on whether to send their kids to school.

Thats what i feel,but when the kids get a lot of hassle for being off if conditions are worse here it makes it hard for them

scrabster view
25-Feb-10, 17:35
That is what the director of education said, but kids are happier if they are off officially.
Posting that school is open at 7.12 makes the decision to keep kids off harder. Likewise the adverse weather line - that was later in being updated.

Kids are happier if they are off officially????

If the parent phones the school to advise that their children are not attending school due to weather conditions, then thats official is it not? Its not as though the kids are playing truant?

davem
25-Feb-10, 17:49
It may have escaped your notice or maybe you don't deal with kids a lot. You can tell them something fifteen times and they are not convinced; if school says so they'll be far more prepared to believe it.
And yes - given the amount of work to catch up my kids always preferred not to be missing anything.

tartanyorkie
26-Feb-10, 07:20
Just checking this morning what things are like in Thurso. My son is getting up and ready to go. It is not too bad here but we are in a sheltered corner so do not get as much snow as other places. I suppose it is another case of refreshing the school closures page until they make up their mind.

chaz
26-Feb-10, 08:04
Here between watten and spital is awful again mine not going as will strugle to get in and out of our road,and have to take my youngest with me.