PDA

View Full Version : Thurso to Tinverness train 23/2

onecalledk
24-Feb-10, 15:27
hi

just wondered if anyone regularly takes the train from thurso to inverness and have had any problems with it ! due to car problems I had to take the early (groan)train to Inverness yesterday morning, now I expected that the first train in the morning may be a little cold to start with but I didnt expect to sit the WHOLE journey with NO heating in the train!

I could see my breath the train was that cold, I did wrap up, had several layers on and gloves, scarf etc but the train was freezing. NO trolley service either?!!!! I was living for while in the vain hope that someone would dash past with a trolley full of hot coffee but nope there were no refreshments.

Getting up at 5.30am to get the train was bad enough but to have no heating the whole journey i thought was ridiculous. I have only taken the train to inverness twice and the last time there was also no trolley service but there WAS heating.

The weather was really cold yesterday and i was so cold by the time i got to inverness that it actually hurt to walk my feet were that cold .....

So do scotrail just ignore this train service ????????!!!!!

K

ps got the bus backed and it had lovely heating on it thank god.....

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 15:29
Sorry but this is how it ALWAYS is. And you were lucky if you didn't get one of the trains that often have broken doors which makes them even colder. Wrap up warm and take a flask!
BTW you can always tell who hasn't taken the train before because they actually ask the staff if the heatings broken or if they can turn it on. Slightly amusing.
I still prefer it to buses as buses make me sick (the smell and the way they move) and the route north of Inverness makes it worse.

Fluff
24-Feb-10, 15:33
whenever we visit we have to take the train up from Inverness as neither myself or OH drives. We always dread the journey, it's a flamin joke!
Wish I could drive

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 15:34
whenever we visit we have to take the train up from Inverness as neither myself or OH drives. We always dread the journey, it's a flamin joke!
Wish I could drive
I quite enjoy it. Get to kick back headphones in, good book, nice views. As long as you are prepared for the cold it's alright. I do feel sorry for the people who don't know though. Wish I could share my flask lol.

onecalledk
24-Feb-10, 15:40
hi

the comments I have had tend to reflect what has been posted, its absolutely ridiculous, have fired off a complaint to scotrail and see what they will say in defence.

Its bad enough that the journey is soooo long, if I didnt have car problems I would have driven but after that experience if I have to take public transport it will be the bus, unless we are under 6 foot of snow lol .....

I hate companies that think that services to "rural" communities can just put up with the dross........ WE ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS.....

arghhhhhh

it must be the weather that is making me so indignant today ..... lets see what happens later when CAlor havent shown up for the third day in a row .......

K

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 15:48
hi

the comments I have had tend to reflect what has been posted, its absolutely ridiculous, have fired off a complaint to scotrail and see what they will say in defence.

Its bad enough that the journey is soooo long, if I didnt have car problems I would have driven but after that experience if I have to take public transport it will be the bus, unless we are under 6 foot of snow lol .....

I hate companies that think that services to "rural" communities can just put up with the dross........ WE ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS.....

arghhhhhh

it must be the weather that is making me so indignant today ..... lets see what happens later when CAlor havent shown up for the third day in a row .......

K

Scotrail aren't all bad to us up here. The price for a ticket to Inverness is very reasonable imo, especially considering the prices of train tickets in other parts of the country.

Thumper
24-Feb-10, 15:52
Half the problem is that we dont complain enough about it,if people complained and stopped using the train they may actually think about putting on trains that DO have heating,I cant imagine how uncomfortable it must be for elderly or infirm passengers as i know the last time I used it I froze to death before Altnaharra! x

rob1
24-Feb-10, 16:17
Had the same problem last week. Freezing on the train and no trolly.

lelebo
24-Feb-10, 16:18
I was going to take the train south on monday because I'm a bit wary of what the weather would be like but I don't think i'll bother now - can't stand the thought of being stuck on the train freezing for all that time :(

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 16:21
Had the same problem last week. Freezing on the train and no trolly.
There's been no trolley on the early morning train for months now and it has been well discussed on here. I'm not sure about the other trains because I don't use their rip of prices. Although actually I have asked if I can have a plastic glass sometimes so they are there lol.

If you all want catered, always heated, perfect trains WE will have to pay for it and I for one won't be able to afford it. There is not the population here to have the trains like in England where the first class tickets are taken up by a lot of people.

edayhouse
24-Feb-10, 16:37
Yip i agree - anytime i have been on the early morning train it has been freezing...so cold that like you i could see my own breath!

What makes it worse is there is no trolley at least a cup of tea could heat you up a little.

The last time i made the trip i wore thermals and ski socks and was slightly warmer - its crazy!

onecalledk
24-Feb-10, 16:43
am not asking for all singing all dancing trains just for it to be heated and my complaint to Scotrail did outline the fact that I am a healthy relatively young person NOT a pension and outlined how a train journey like that for an older person would be a nightmare.

its not a case of "trains like they do in England". I have used trains from Inverness to Aberdeen, to Edinburgh ,Glasgow and they have been at least warm. It appears that scotrail in their wisdom use anything north of Perth as a chance to use OLD trains.

For a passenger travelling 110 miles in minus something temperatures with no heating is not on.

It is slightly amusing for people south of here to ask why me why i didnt just take something like an electric blanket to plug into the train .... what plug i asked ....... they appear to think that trains going north have wifi connections and plugs that the public can use for their laptops !

just wanted some HEATING ....

K

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 16:49
I understand your point but even trains south towards the central belt, well in fact even just South of Inverness are more expensive. And they have no 50% off railcards. They are giving us a cheap but decent service which I am grateful for. It is also worth noting that it is not often as cold as it is this winter, especially days like yesterday.

Last time I got the train it was a similar day. An old age couple got on at Georgemas, took their blanket and flask out their bag and that was it. Easy.

I would be more interested in them speeding up the journey tbh.

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 17:26
Me my OH and my 17 month old son went on the 8.40am train to inverness on monday. It was freezing, we could see our breath and i couldnt feel my feet. My son was just freezing and i had him as wrapped up as i could with blankets.

On the way home from Inverness we took the 17.50 train home and it was freezing again. I couldnt believe how cold it was. I wasnt sure about complaining. I know there are many who do complain and there is nothing done about it.

I wont be taking my son on the train again.

onecalledk
24-Feb-10, 17:49
then perhaps its time to send a formal complaint on behalf of folk who have experienced this to Scotrail. If they received a complaint signed by lots of people perhaps they would do something ?

This may be a very very cold winter, all the more reason for scotrail to have heating surely !

they run a service, heating is not optional i would have thought on the price of your ticket !

K

speedo215
24-Feb-10, 20:03
for me it is always just the morning train that is cold and it normally warms up after a while, never have had a cold train all the way to inverness though

edayhouse
24-Feb-10, 20:09
Surely we shouldnt have to take blankets, flasks, extra clothes etc just to go on the train - that is crazy. I am sure that they could put the heating on, the trolley i can understand if they are trying to cut costs but at the end of the day we are paying money to go on a train that is freezing - surely the trains should have to keep the carraiges to a certain temperature.

poppett
24-Feb-10, 22:50
If no body complains to the Scotrail general manager about the awful conditions on the train between Inverness and Thurso/Wick how will they know there is a problem?

Last time I used the early train, about four years ago, there was only one toilet working............and the door didn`t close. Wrote a letter of complaint and the cost of my ticket was refunded by cheque within about ten days.

Shelley, if you decide to complain, please tell them they run the risk of losing the next generation of train travellers if Athrun is never travelling by train again.

I am all for being prepared, but who wants to go for a day out to Inverness and have to carry blankets and flasks about with them all day?

DopeyDan
24-Feb-10, 22:59
the last time I used it I froze to death before Altnaharra! x

Are you talking to us via a medium then ? ;)

(So spiritualists DO work!)

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 23:29
If no body complains to the Scotrail general manager about the awful conditions on the train between Inverness and Thurso/Wick how will they know there is a problem?

Last time I used the early train, about four years ago, there was only one toilet working............and the door didn`t close. Wrote a letter of complaint and the cost of my ticket was refunded by cheque within about ten days.

Shelley, if you decide to complain, please tell them they run the risk of losing the next generation of train travellers if Athrun is never travelling by train again.

I am all for being prepared, but who wants to go for a day out to Inverness and have to carry blankets and flasks about with them all day?

Poppett i have emailed them and pretty much said exactly what you have. Told them the conditions on the train was not acceptable for paying customers. Also that it was rediculous to expect a young child to sit in the cold like that for 4 hours there, 4 hours home.

Also have said i will not be using the train service again til they buck up their ideas. :Razz Go me lol

onecalledk
24-Feb-10, 23:44
I fired off a letter of complaint which i have had an acknowledgement to but this is just making me wilder and wilder. I now have to use the train this weekend again and am dreading travelling in this weather in a cold train.

I have contacted the John o groat journal who are contacting me tomorrow......

Scotrail need to know that their passengers are not happy bunnies !

K

George Brims
24-Feb-10, 23:48
Sorry but this is how it ALWAYS is.
And this is how it has always been. The trains are cold in the winter, and in the summer the heating is stuck at "on" and the windows are jammed shut. Been that way as long as I can remember. If I had an hour I would relate the sorry tale of leaving Watten at 10 or so in the morning to catch a train from Wick, and arriving at my flat in Edinburgh at 1am.

Serenity
25-Feb-10, 00:48
I fired off a letter of complaint which i have had an acknowledgement to but this is just making me wilder and wilder. I now have to use the train this weekend again and am dreading travelling in this weather in a cold train.

K

Oh great yet another story in the local paper about cold trains :roll: Do you not think this has been tried before?
George Brims - I used to quite regularly go between Thurso and Glasgow and almost got caught out a few times. They don't seem to care much if the North train is too late to meet the train going South. THIS is a more important issue, along with the timing. Luckily everytime it has happened to me there have been others and they have provided buses/taxis as required but I know people who haven't been so lucky.

Sarah
25-Feb-10, 01:02
I have only gotten on it from Lairg, and never found it cold! How long is the journey from Wick - Inverness? Never done it before.

Serenity
25-Feb-10, 01:05
I have only gotten on it from Lairg, and never found it cold! How long is the journey from Wick - Inverness? Never done it before.
4 hours + so Lairg is probably just over half way IIRC. You have all us northies to thank for your warmth :Razz

poppett
25-Feb-10, 10:25
Good luck with the complaints. Also bring the situation to the attention of the MP and MSP in your area. A letter from them often brings instant results.......until the next time.

onecalledk
25-Feb-10, 10:50
surely if no one complains and continues to complain NOTHING will ever get done about it? we are fare paying passengers who are getting a raw deal, this is not on so I complain. I really dont understand the view that "this is how it has always been therefore...."

NOTHING changes unless change is driven .......

K

octane
25-Feb-10, 11:06
Too right!!!!!!

Typical of the British mentality.......they just lie down and get faece'd on from a great height......this is the way its always been.....routine for them and they accept it even though the situation stinks!!!!!

Cowards........speak up, were not around for long and you allow yourselves to be reamed at every opportunity........saddo's

Thumper
25-Feb-10, 11:37
surely if no one complains and continues to complain NOTHING will ever get done about it? we are fare paying passengers who are getting a raw deal, this is not on so I complain. I really dont understand the view that "this is how it has always been therefore...."

K

Quite right,if nobody complains nothing will be done about it! Also imagine how the people who have to work on this train everyday feel,they must be freezing the whole time! The train must be heated and complaining is the only way to bring it to their attention and hopefully get something done about it x

onecalledk
25-Feb-10, 13:00
have spoken to the paper now who tell me they have also contacted Scotrail for a statement ......

K

George Brims
25-Feb-10, 19:01

K
Did I say I didn't complain? I complained for weeks, to anyone who would listen! I complained in writing to British Rail. I pointed out how stupid one of the delays was. They had decided to replace, during winter, the gas burners that kept the points from freezing at Dalwhinnie, one of the highest and coldest places on the rail network in Scotland. The old burners were lying in a heap on the far platform, alongside the pallets carrying the new burners. We got to study them for quite a while as the BR workers (all two of them) tried to unstick the frozen points with blowlamps and sledgehammers.

DopeyDan
26-Feb-10, 17:17
hi just wondered if anyone regularly takes the train from thurso to inverness and have had any problems with it ! .....

I think you've made the headlines !
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7888/_Astounded__by_cold_train.html

clover
26-Feb-10, 19:50
Well here is another moan about the train I arrived at the station today at 12.30 bought my ticket and waited with the other passengers, at 13.15 ten minites after the train was due the kind lady from the office came out to tell us the train would be another 30 minites as the driver that should have been driving was actually on his day off so they had to call out another one. after our long wait in the freezing cold the train eventually arrived. No apology or even the offer of a warm drink after the cold wait. Does not say much for a National company when they cannot even organise a driver.

Fluff
26-Feb-10, 22:30
lol trust me that is a national problem!

sids
26-Feb-10, 22:38
They have never got over having been nationalised. The company and staff do not have a service ethic.

Complain all you like- if they cared it would have been sorted a long time ago.

Aaldtimer
27-Feb-10, 04:22
Errrm, Sids...don't know if you've noticed but they were de-nationalised a long time ago!
As I recall, it was a lot better when they were nationalised!:roll:

JonHend
01-Mar-10, 19:42
I was on that Monday morning train and I can swear that it never usually gets that cold!

I regularly get the first train south from Thurso on a Monday morning and am used to putting on thermals and a few extra layers for travelling during the winter. When the heating is working, the train usually starts to noticeably warm up at Tain. When it doesn't work, it can be an uncomfortable journey no matter how many extra layers you are wearing.

On that fateful Monday, it was by far the coldest the train has been for me. When I was dropped off at the station in Thurso, the outdoor temperature was minus 6. It was no warmer in the train than it was outside!

I also could barely walk when I got off the train on Inverness, due to my feet being so cold. I had to finish work in Inverness early as I still felt frozen cold from the train journey.

I used to complain to Scotrail about the broken heating but have since given up as it makes no difference to me. Even if I do get a refund (which is only £14 for a return), they just don't seem to be too bothered about improving the on train heating.

JonHend

EDDIE
01-Mar-10, 20:07

K

Its suprising how much a hat keeps the heat in on your body and you should get a thermal vest it does make a difference i work outside all the time not matter what the weather is and a hat and thermols makes a huge difference why suffer when theres no need for it.
What about the bus is it not warmer

Sara Jevo
01-Mar-10, 20:48
At least you got a train!

When i turned up today at Thurso it had been cancelled. A strike apparently.

A replacement bus was laid on. The driver from Macleods said he had no instruction about fares - the ride to Inverness was free. And yes, the bus was warm, even if it took 15 minutes longer than the train to get there!

philupmaboug
01-Mar-10, 21:19
You did of course go in and pay your ticket on arrival at Inverness!!!!
Saw the later bus at Georgemas and it was on its side in the ditch....sad that McLeod drivers dont know the verge is narrow with the snow tehe.

JonHend
01-Mar-10, 23:51
Was on the bus this morning too. It wasn't cold but it was definitely annoying pulling into all the little train stations with no one waiting, and with hardly any room for the bus to ge turned. I can understand why the driver gave up trying to get into Alness Station. And at least it didn't go via Lairg, Muir of Ord and Beauly. That would have added an other hour to the journey. And it was free too!

morganria
09-Mar-10, 12:41
Was on the early morning train on Saturday armed with hats, gloves, scarves and blankets. We didn't need any of them in fact I had to take my coat off. So it looks like Scotrail has noticed the complaints etc:)

onecalledk
09-Mar-10, 13:07
well in response to my letter of complaint I have had a reply! Standard reply of heating takes a while to warm up (aye right - 4 hours ???! )....

It appears that Scotrail have done a survey on all of us using this train and the results of the catering survey show that there IS NO DEMAND on this train service so they took it off. They had to save millions of pounds you see and this was an ideal way of saving it. This is their words not mine.

So all you train users out there on the ORG , do you remember filling out your Scotrail customer service Trolley survey ? Did you tick the boxes indicating that you didnt want any catering ?

Oh it also appears there is a 4 hour rule with food, food not consumed in this time has to be thrown out. Just wondering how many people require food on this journey as opposed to HOT DRINKS to deal with the cold. Dont think there is a 4 hour rule with hot water but I may be wrong .....

The Groat is also running another story this week with my response to the lovely £5 voucher Scotrail offered me. NOT for enduring the cold train, no, that was a heater fault apparently ... it is for not replying to my email in the allocated response time !

I have yet to claim my £5 voucher but it is available to anyone who would like it ...... :)

K

ShelleyCowie
09-Mar-10, 13:29
well in response to my letter of complaint I have had a reply! Standard reply of heating takes a while to warm up (aye right - 4 hours ???! )....

It appears that Scotrail have done a survey on all of us using this train and the results of the catering survey show that there IS NO DEMAND on this train service so they took it off. They had to save millions of pounds you see and this was an ideal way of saving it. This is their words not mine.

So all you train users out there on the ORG , do you remember filling out your Scotrail customer service Trolley survey ? Did you tick the boxes indicating that you didnt want any catering ?

Oh it also appears there is a 4 hour rule with food, food not consumed in this time has to be thrown out. Just wondering how many people require food on this journey as opposed to HOT DRINKS to deal with the cold. Dont think there is a 4 hour rule with hot water but I may be wrong .....

The Groat is also running another story this week with my response to the lovely £5 voucher Scotrail offered me. NOT for enduring the cold train, no, that was a heater fault apparently ... it is for not replying to my email in the allocated response time !

I have yet to claim my £5 voucher but it is available to anyone who would like it ...... :)

K

I had a similar response to my complaint! and yes i got my £5 vouchers aswell. They came in the post a few days ago.

Here was my response

"Dear Miss Bain

Thank you for your email dated 24 February 2010 regarding your journey from Thurso to Inverness on 22 February 2010.

I was very sorry to learn of the inconvenience you and your family have experienced recently due to the lack of heating during your journey. The main reason for the low temperatures on the train is that the train runs at relatively low speeds (30/40 mph). The train heating system relies on the engine coolant to deliver maximum heat and the engine is not working hard for much of the journey. This lower coolant temperature is a factor, especially in very cold weather conditions as was experienced recently in Scotland.

Our engineering team have already introduced a number of initiatives aimed at improving the on-train temperature. We are also seeking other ways of improving the pre-heating of the trains before they enter service in the early morning.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have obviously been caused. I do hope the initiatives mentioned above assures you that we do take such matters seriously and will do everything possible to improve the travelling environment for our customers.

I notice that we have not responded to your comments within 7 working days. I apologise for this delay and am happy to inform you that you are entitled to Rail Travel Vouchers for £5.00, in accordance with the conditions set out in our Passengers' Charter. These vouchers can be redeemed for tickets with any UK domestic Train Operating Company within the next 12 months. Please note the offered Rail Travel Vouchers will follow in a letter sent to you in the post."

changilass
09-Mar-10, 13:34
Trains have alus been cowld.

I remember gouging at ice on the inside of the window with my mums nail file back in the early 70's when travelling on the Thurso Inverness train.

If anything they are probably a bitty warmer lol.

The freezing temps on both busses and trains do make me feel less guilty about using the car all the time.

onecalledk
09-Mar-10, 14:28
I had a similar response to my complaint! and yes i got my £5 vouchers aswell. They came in the post a few days ago.

Here was my response

"Dear Miss Bain

Thank you for your email dated 24 February 2010 regarding your journey from Thurso to Inverness on 22 February 2010.

I was very sorry to learn of the inconvenience you and your family have experienced recently due to the lack of heating during your journey. The main reason for the low temperatures on the train is that the train runs at relatively low speeds (30/40 mph). The train heating system relies on the engine coolant to deliver maximum heat and the engine is not working hard for much of the journey. This lower coolant temperature is a factor, especially in very cold weather conditions as was experienced recently in Scotland.

Our engineering team have already introduced a number of initiatives aimed at improving the on-train temperature. We are also seeking other ways of improving the pre-heating of the trains before they enter service in the early morning.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have obviously been caused. I do hope the initiatives mentioned above assures you that we do take such matters seriously and will do everything possible to improve the travelling environment for our customers.

I notice that we have not responded to your comments within 7 working days. I apologise for this delay and am happy to inform you that you are entitled to Rail Travel Vouchers for £5.00, in accordance with the conditions set out in our Passengers' Charter. These vouchers can be redeemed for tickets with any UK domestic Train Operating Company within the next 12 months. Please note the offered Rail Travel Vouchers will follow in a letter sent to you in the post."

you got some info and an apology! lol , I got a basic trains take time to warm up. So are scotrail now saying that its cos the train runs SLOWLY that the train is cold. Funny I thought that trains ran the same speed whether travel to Inverness or Glasgow.....

If we could get the trains to run faster we would all be warm lol ..... and perhaps we would get to Inverness faster as well.....

:)
K

Fluff
09-Mar-10, 15:27
I always thought (and was told) the reason the train went so slowly because the current line cannot support a fast train/speed. I would be extremly suprised if they invested in the track and upgraded it!

katarina
09-Mar-10, 19:07
Went down on train last friday, armed with ski jacket and fur lined boots, but was pleasantly surprised to be able to discard said jacket. However there was no water in the toilet either to flush or to wash. The train from inverness to Glasgow had a trolly with very pleasant young man in attendance - no complaints there.
However, on the way back home on Sunday, on the train from glasgow to inverness, there was no trolly on our carriage, only one on the last two carriages and since there was no connecting door the front two had to do without. the train from inverness north was crowded, but again no trolly. So from 1.30 until 10.30 at night, we had no refreshments at all!!!! Good job we had the foresight to take sandwiches with us - but we weren't half gagging for a cup o' tea!

Sandra_B
09-Mar-10, 19:54
K

What food are they talking about? Surely bags of crisps and packets of shortbread last more than a couple of hours, I've never seen any other kinds of food on the trolley.

ShelleyCowie
09-Mar-10, 19:55
What food are they talking about? Surely bags of crisps and packets of shortbread last more than a couple of hours, I've never seen any other kinds of food on the trolley.

Thats what i was thinking!! Crisps take months to go off. They do serve sandwiches now though. So understandable to dispose of them after a certain amount of time i suppose :confused

onecalledk
10-Mar-10, 14:57
I can see the point with sandwiches but are they saying they cannot provide a trolley service that does not contain sandwiches? the people using the train just want a cuppa and a biscuit perhaps that would be a start!

As I posted previously Scotrail make out they have done a consumer research study and that there was NO DEMAND for a trolley service. They are also assuming that people are travelling only to and from Thurso/Inverness. If as so rightly been pointed out, you are using a connecting train then the journey times soon mount up.

My family and I travelled from Thurso to Huntly, a trip that takes about 6 hours in total and for the first 4 hours had no refreshments offered due to their being no trolley. Mad dash in Inverness to get some juice /crisps then continued on the journey to Huntly .......

Will be waiting to hear the next lot of rubbish from Scotrail when they are contacted again by the Groat for a statement.

Seems the first time they were contacted by the paper they had received NO complaints ..... ah perhaps my email was stuck in the ether .......

:)
K

poppett
10-Mar-10, 19:48
Professionally made and packaged sandwiches can have up to a three day shelf life, or sometimes even longer. Just look at the use by dates on Hasty Tasty sandwiches or Ginsters!

sids
10-Mar-10, 21:14
Errrm, Sids...don't know if you've noticed but they were de-nationalised a long time ago!
As I recall, it was a lot better when they were nationalised!:roll:

Yes errrm, they are privatised, but they have still not got over having been a state industry.

Aaldtimer
11-Mar-10, 03:19
Yes errrm, they are privatised, but they have still not got over having been a state industry.

LOL! It's taken you 12 days to come up with this scintillating response![disgust]

bagpuss
15-Mar-10, 21:35
I have had reason to take the train recently. The 6.20 should be avoided at all costs- no heating and no trolley- and was still freezing when it pulled into inverness. NB the bus leaves later and gets in earlier.

However much difference in the 8.20 service- heated, trolley- and note it connects with the Orkney ferry.

remember that the whole service was originally dedicated to taking toffs to their shooting estates- not for carrying the paying public at large

Serenity
15-Mar-10, 22:09
Professionally made and packaged sandwiches can have up to a three day shelf life, or sometimes even longer. Just look at the use by dates on Hasty Tasty sandwiches or Ginsters!

Umm yes but they are not refrigerated on the trains (although maybe it is cold enough anyway!).

One time last year when they did the swapover at Lairg (I think) a Scotrail staff member came on and asked everyone what stop they had come on at and when they were getting off (I assumed to tell any waiting trains in Inverness) but it turns out they were giving out consumer survey/questionnaires to people on certain journeys (I filled one out) - so no they were not lying about that bit.

I love the fact they admitted it is cold because of how slow it is. Yeah now we all want them to speed up too.

I do agree it would be nice to get a hot cup of tea or coffee but even when they had the trolley I would take my own flask anyway instead of paying the near £2 odd it was for a cup of very weak instant coffee.

onecalledk
17-Mar-10, 10:59
am just back from the central belt where they have super duper HEATED trains with a trolley service, a bit of overkill perhaps for going 3 stops on said train but a pleasant surprise.

that an a MUCH cheaper fare .....

but then perhaps the trains go faster down there ....

K

rhino
18-Mar-10, 15:21
I travelled up on monday afternoon and the train was warm. The food trolley went up and down at least 4 times during the journey, but with there only being 2 people including me in our carraige and neither off us buying anything then from its little wonder that they need to review the service.

©Amethyst
19-Mar-10, 18:44
One time last year when they did the swapover at Lairg (I think) a Scotrail staff member came on and asked everyone what stop they had come on at and when they were getting off (I assumed to tell any waiting trains in Inverness) but it turns out they were giving out consumer survey/questionnaires to people on certain journeys (I filled one out) - so no they were not lying about that bit.

This happened back in January as well. There was a delay at the train station... the train had originally been cancelled but it managed to run. Albeit very late. Then at the change over in Lairg (another 40 minute delay), they were handing out complaint forms so that we could get some of our fare back.

Was a little disappointed when they had said there would be a trolley service from Lairg north and there wasn't one... I do like a nice cup of tea to warm me up on that journey!

onecalledk
19-Mar-10, 20:13
todays Groat has another complaint from another rail passenger who was told there was an engine fault on the train he travelled up in. They also told him that the trolley service is sometimes not running if they have staff shortages !

Perhaps Scotrail bosses should get their act together and come up with ONE excuse they tell all of us !

K