PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Broadband in Wick?

mozimo
24-Feb-10, 15:24
Hi folks can you help me out?
I'm coming North soon for family stuff but I need broadband access so was going to just get a pay as you go mobile broadband dongle thingiemebobbery. I've had a look and only O2 say they cover the area and that the coverage should be good. Can anyone tell me if thats is correct. Will I be able to get a decent broadband connection?
Thanks very much

Geo
24-Feb-10, 16:53
O2 have a 3G signal in Wick however I don't know if that's all you need for a mobile broadband connection.

Leanne
24-Feb-10, 20:10
Weatherspoons have free broadband connection. Mackay's hotel have free internet if you decide to stay there.

Kristafur
25-Feb-10, 00:04
i have 02 mobile broadband and it works fine,i get the 3G signal but theres also the one up from that called ' HSDPA ', which i also get. theres two or three bad spots in my house where i cant get a 'HSPDA ' signal but im ground level with lots of flats around me.
I used it the other day over at my grandads house and had a super signal, downloading stuff is usually about 60-100 kbps.. not bad for mobile broadband. Dont buy a vodofone one, there nearest 3G signal is aberdeen!

mozimo
25-Feb-10, 01:24
Excellent! Thank you for the replys. Will be spending lots of time in Weatherspoons.........;)

Phill
25-Feb-10, 01:47
I have, and have used Vodafone mobile thingymabob with good results in and around Wick and also throughout the A9 corridor for want of a better description (north of Inverness).

I've never used O2 broadband but I have used O2 (formerly cellnet) for mobily phone type stuff on two contracted occasions. Once in a large city in Engerlandershire and up in Caithness. On both occasions I can honestly say they brought a whole new plunging depth of inadequacy, incompetence, abysmal service and an utter disregard for customer service that I didn't think was ever imaginable. For that reason alone I would favour carrier pigeon before ever contemplating using them for any form of communication service.

They (O2) do not cover (or did not until very recently) Caithness on 3G. HSDPA is not covered up here at all I believe. But GPRS is on all other networks and this does work fine. 3, by their own admission do not cover broadband in these parts (HSDPA only for them).

And that is why I waited for Vodafone to get the iPhone too ;)

achingale
25-Feb-10, 10:17
Excellent! Thank you for the replys. Will be spending lots of time in Weatherspoons.........;)

Tough job but someone has to do it :lol:

Kristafur
25-Feb-10, 11:47
Phill, there is HSDPA up here trust me, i am on it right now with the O2 donglemabobby, yes u can get GPRS on the vodafone donglemabobby but why would anyone pay for that? its slower than slow, takes the simplest of pages ages to load. with my HSDPA signal, its fast ( roughly 100 kbps)