PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Technology!

ShelleyCowie
23-Feb-10, 21:22
Grr i hate technology! So here the story begins.

My MP4 player is a Zune, which they are only sold in america. Im on my 2nd Zune already. My first one just died on me but it was getting old and outdated. so when it finally died on me i upgraded to a 2nd Gen Zune. Cost quite a bit more to get imported but worth it. Til today!!! [evil] Iv had it just over a year and there is a contact issue with the headphones or something.

One ear of the headphones works and the other is really intermittent. Yes iv tried several other sets of headphones and new ones in it but still no luck :(

I cant seem to find anyone on ebay who can repair something like that for less than what i can buy a new MP4 or Zune for. So hence "Stupid Technology" because i hate it!

Im now looking for a new MP3/4 or whatever because i refuse (even though i want to) to pay £270 for the new HD Zune. I would like it but slightly out of my budget at the moment. So whilst searching through many sites there all these stupid high tech MP3/4 players that even Bill Gates would struggle to use!

What MP3/4 do you have? I need something simple to use, wont take me a day to find the song i want on it either. Also 8gb + memory, might settle for 4gb.

If i cant find anything im just gonna have to get that new Zune! :Razz

Phill
23-Feb-10, 21:33
I've had my Sony Walkman for years with no problems, people say I should upgrade to an MD Walkman though.

unicorn
23-Feb-10, 21:34
I would have to ask my teenager just to understand this post never mind the technology [lol] Technology and me just don't bond [lol]

Yoda the flump
23-Feb-10, 21:37
Ho hum, Zune says it all really.

My MP3/4 player says 'Designed by Apple in California', yours might say Designed in Redmond by......'.

Same as computers really, some 'Just work' and others.........well!

Metalattakk
23-Feb-10, 21:38

My MP4 player is a Zune, which they are only sold in america. Im on my 2nd Zune already. My first one just died on me but it was getting old and outdated. so when it finally died on me i upgraded to a 2nd Gen Zune. Cost quite a bit more to get imported but worth it. Til today!!! [evil] Iv had it just over a year and there is a contact issue with the headphones or something.

One ear of the headphones works and the other is really intermittent. Yes iv tried several other sets of headphones and new ones in it but still no luck :(

I cant seem to find anyone on ebay who can repair something like that for less than what i can buy a new MP4 or Zune for. So hence "Stupid Technology" because i hate it!

Im now looking for a new MP3/4 or whatever because i refuse (even though i want to) to pay £270 for the new HD Zune. I would like it but slightly out of my budget at the moment. So whilst searching through many sites there all these stupid high tech MP3/4 players that even Bill Gates would struggle to use!

What MP3/4 do you have? I need something simple to use, wont take me a day to find the song i want on it either. Also 8gb + memory, might settle for 4gb.

It sounds like a typical loose connection that can be fixed locally. As long as you're happy for someone to take it apart, solder the loose connection, and put it all back together again, of course.

Colin Chessor/Alacam would be able to help, I'm sure.

ShelleyCowie
23-Feb-10, 21:45
It sounds like a typical loose connection that can be fixed locally. As long as you're happy for someone to take it apart, solder the loose connection, and put it all back together again, of course.

Oh can they do things like that? I didnt know :eek:

I will look into that. See if they can fix it for me. Dont want to give up my cute wee pink Zune! :Razz

Cheers

Fluff
23-Feb-10, 21:58
Shelly, I hve always used Creative for my music players. They are cheaper than IPod's and more reliable too.
I got my 8gb Zen X-fi which plays videos too for £99 from amazon. Hope this helps

Gizmo
23-Feb-10, 22:23

Simple solution....stop buying Zunes, get yourself a Creative Zen, you won't get better for the money.

redeyedtreefrog
23-Feb-10, 22:27
I've an ipod Touch, works perfectly. Plus it's got eh bonus of apps.

telfordstar
23-Feb-10, 22:34
Ive a IPod touch as well its the beat thing ever great sounds ans fantastic apps plus i have it connected to my livebox and can surf the net on it as well.

ducati
23-Feb-10, 22:41
I just heard "bla bla bla bla music bla bla bla bla broke :roll: bla bla bla America :cool:

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 00:35
I was looking at the Zens, wasnt sure what they were like though. Might give it a try if i cant get my Zune fixed. Im also looking at the ishuffle. They seem to be quite popular.

I hate walking without my music and only hearing it in one ear and occasionally a lyric or 2 in the other just bugs me! :(

Whats the sound quality like on a Zen? I likes it loud :cool: drown out the world

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 00:41
I've always had Creative Zens. Would never change brand. Love them. Reliable, look good, easy interface. My latest one is 3 years old now and I dropped it in water lol (not for long and for a few days buttons didn't work but all okay now). Talk about hardy. Also it is 16GB and didn't cost much really.
Sound quality is pretty epic especially with the in ear sound blocking earphones (but watch when crossing the road!). Normal ones can't stay in my ear anyway so they are good on both levels. I think Zens come with them normally but if not I currently have skullcandy ones which have lasted a year and still like new. Previously I had Sennheiser ones which are similar but fell apart pretty quickly (2 pairs in 1 year).

Anyway with your Zune is there no warranty? Even if not explicit there might be one if it's within a year since buying. Maybe not time to give up on it yet.

dx100uk
24-Feb-10, 01:53
yep id go with zen too
haD ONE FOR YEARS STILL GOING opps caps lock.....

as for the int right ear, it could be a carbonised spring, a dose of switch cleaner/lube might well work, something like servisol10 from maplins or wherever, but dont use WD40!

dx

Dorrie
24-Feb-10, 09:31
I've got an iPod touch and think it's great - don't know how I've managed so long without it. Music, videos and my memory all go on it! lol Thank goodness it has a memor as I dont any more! The aps are brilliant although sometimes it takes a while to find the right one. I was given it for Christmas and use it all the time :) The only bugbear for me is that it is no good with Windows7. :(

Fluff
24-Feb-10, 13:30
Shelly when you buy a Zen they provide in the ear head phones, which are very good (when my h/phones broke I looked to buy the same pair provided - £60!) but I now use Sony ones which are also excellent.
With the x-fi it has an option to make it clearer (crystalise or something) and you can defintly hear the difference with and without.

Invisible
24-Feb-10, 14:08
I dont have an mp3 player, I just use my Blackberry or Psp

Anfield
24-Feb-10, 18:28
Is it wise for a mother to be listening to a MP3 player whilst pushing a pram?

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 18:31

What business is it of yours? If i wanted an opinion on that i would have asked. Im not stupid. :roll: Dont have it mega loud when i have my son with me. What do you take me for?

Ash
24-Feb-10, 18:32

i dont understand why she shouldnt be listening to one

really strange comment !

Anfield
24-Feb-10, 18:49
I write as a fellow road user, both pedestrian and driver, who can see the implications of a distracted parent pushing a pram, both along pavement and crossing road.
My concern was not intended to be a criticism, merely an observation

StacNKel
24-Feb-10, 19:07
i have an ipod classic 80gb. Its brill i love it i often walk with them in but take them out when crossing the road etc so i can hear the traffic. Its no fair til judge someone when you don't know the facts.

Yoda the flump
24-Feb-10, 21:08
The only bugbear for me is that it is no good with Windows7. :(

Should that not read that Windows 7 is not good with the iPod?

Never had a problem with OSX :)

telfordstar
24-Feb-10, 22:19

Why would it not be wise?

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 22:30
Why would it not be wise?

My guess was that he/she thinks that if i had my headphones in whilst walking with the pram my music would distract me so i wouldnt look left, right then left again.

Im well aware of crossing a road though as i do it every day (i dont mean to sound sarcastic but i think its coming across that way)

When walking with my pram im always cautious anyway. Same as walking with my OH's 2 other kids. But i dont have my headphones in when walking with them because i get stories everywhere so i dont need music. But a 17 month old really isnt good conversation :lol:

Fluff
24-Feb-10, 22:31
Shelly, maybe they meant incase you did not hear the traffic?

telfordstar
24-Feb-10, 22:47
My guess was that he/she thinks that if i had my headphones in whilst walking with the pram my music would distract me so i wouldnt look left, right then left again.

Im well aware of crossing a road though as i do it every day (i dont mean to sound sarcastic but i think its coming across that way)

When walking with my pram im always cautious anyway. Same as walking with my OH's 2 other kids. But i dont have my headphones in when walking with them because i get stories everywhere so i dont need music. But a 17 month old really isnt good conversation :lol:

After I thought about it i did think that was the reason. Ive a 2 year old and he aint a great converstion and i quite ofter put my music on but im very catious near crossing etc dosnt divert my attention one bit listening to it.

Metalattakk
24-Feb-10, 23:15
Hang on, you both prefer to listen to music because your kids are not entertaining enough?

Jesus wept. :roll:

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 23:24
Hang on, you both prefer to listen to music because your kids are not entertaining enough?

Jesus wept. :roll:

em do you have young kids? :roll:

When walking with the pram they are not entertaining. Well athrun isnt. He sits and enjoys the scenery. And when im walking i tend to want to get to my destination rather than sit and speak to my son the whole way. I speak to him for 10 hours a day.

Anyways. this was about me looking for a half decent mp3 player that didnt cos more than an arm or a leg.

Guessing either a zen or a ipod is the way to go then i suppose if i canny get my zune fixed.

Forgot to add: Am i not entitled to listen to a little bit of music? When im walking is the only time i get to listen to it. My life my choice. Cha! Men :p

George Brims
24-Feb-10, 23:31

It could be simpler than that. One of the wee springy tabs in the headphone socket may be bent with constant use, and all that will be required once the thing is opened up is to tweak it a wee bit so it makes better contact with the plug. This sort of thing happens when manufacturers skimp on the quality of parts.

George Brims
24-Feb-10, 23:36
Ho hum, Zune says it all really.

My MP3/4 player says 'Designed by Apple in California', yours might say Designed in Redmond by......'.

Same as computers really, some 'Just work' and others.........well!

Aye that famous Apple "quality". My daughter (not a wean, a married scientist pushing 30) is on her fourth iPod in three years. I was able to revive one of them with a replacement battery bought on eBay*, but the others are all toast. Going back to when I first used their computers, I once had to take two Macs back to the shop for new power supplies after a lightning storm. Before anyone points out I should have had them plugged into a surge protector, (a) someone had borrowed (i.e.nicked) it, and (b) NEITHER ONE OF THEM WAS PLUGGED INTO THE WALL SOCKET WHEN THEY BLEW. All the other computers (DEC VAX and PDP-11, Atari and IBM PC) were fine.

*Be warned, if you try this, you will probably cut yourself opening the thing up.

George Brims
24-Feb-10, 23:44
Should that not read that Windows 7 is not good with the iPod?

Never had a problem with OSX :)
Now think about this people
Apple make and sell computers.
Apple write software to enable computers and iPods to communicate.
Apple's computers, like their rivals, have Intel CPUs and similar internal hardware, and talk to the iPod over the same link (USB).
iPods work well with Apple's computers.
iPods don't work so well with other computers.
There's no fundamental reason Apple's iPod can't work well with other vendors' machines. It is purely a matter of Apple not putting in the effort to make sure they do.

RecQuery
25-Feb-10, 12:47
I'd recommend something by a company called Cowon:

http://www.cowonglobal.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAudio

There products play practically every format known to man and have excellent audio quality when combined with a decent set of headphones/earbuds. They also seem to be very difficult to break or damage.

The A3 (http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_A3_feature.php) and iAudio 7 (http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_i7_feature.php) are particular favourites. The iAudio E2 (http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/iAUDIOE2/product_page_1.php) is on of their latest products and its less technical; more stylish in appearance which may be more appealing.

RecQuery
25-Feb-10, 12:49
Now think about this people
Apple make and sell computers.
Apple write software to enable computers and iPods to communicate.
Apple's computers, like their rivals, have Intel CPUs and similar internal hardware, and talk to the iPod over the same link (USB).
iPods work well with Apple's computers.
iPods don't work so well with other computers.
There's no fundamental reason Apple's iPod can't work well with other vendors' machines. It is purely a matter of Apple not putting in the effort to make sure they do.

The big problem is them using HFS as a file system on OSX which is why people with iPods have problems moving between OSX and Windows. Plus general poor build quality like you said, but Apple tend to sell a lifestyle as opposed to a decent product.

annthracks
25-Feb-10, 22:39
I'd recommend having a look at http://www.chinavasion.com
I've bought a few things from there and they're good quality.

Vistravi
25-Feb-10, 22:49
shelley i got a cheap mp4 player from amazon for about £30 over a year ago now and its still going strong. Its basic and everything is in folders. It can show videos too but i only use it for listening to music. As a plus side its usb charged so no faffing about with batteries. if you forget to charge it though :lol:

Yoda the flump
25-Feb-10, 22:56
The big problem is them using HFS as a file system on OSX which is why people with iPods have problems moving between OSX and Windows. Plus general poor build quality like you said, but Apple tend to sell a lifestyle as opposed to a decent product.

Would disagree with the issue of build quality,always found it to be excellent and I have never had any problems with them, and the first Apple I owned was an Apple II. Have found the quality of some PC's to be questionable, but I guess you get what you pay for (and an Apple aint cheap).

I much prefer OSX to Windows, although I use both. No virus problems (unless you are really stupid).

Would tend to agree with the lifestyle comment though, over the last 10 years this appears to be the case.

Apple seem to know what consumers want and provide it, but the recent withdrawal of several thousand apps from the Apps Store does not seem like a good move and maybe they are going the same way as MS.

RecQuery
26-Feb-10, 12:56
Would disagree with the issue of build quality,always found it to be excellent and I have never had any problems with them, and the first Apple I owned was an Apple II. Have found the quality of some PC's to be questionable, but I guess you get what you pay for (and an Apple aint cheap).

I much prefer OSX to Windows, although I use both. No virus problems (unless you are really stupid).

Would tend to agree with the lifestyle comment though, over the last 10 years this appears to be the case.

Apple seem to know what consumers want and provide it, but the recent withdrawal of several thousand apps from the Apps Store does not seem like a good move and maybe they are going the same way as MS.

Full disclosure: I run Linux (Various distros)

I should of probably said, I liked Apple before the second coming of Steve Jobs. Yeah they've made some dodgy moves recently though I'm with Jobs on his dislike of Flash. There arguably more closed than MS yet there marketing pushes them as being more open.

Though I'd probably buy a Mac just to add it to my skillset. I've used them a bit and its just a Unix under the covers anyway.