PDA

View Full Version : snack van/catering businesses

retrodj
23-Feb-10, 14:38
Has anyone got any idea whats involved in getting a catering/snack van business off the ground? :)

bekisman
23-Feb-10, 14:49
Has anyone got any idea whats involved in getting a catering/snack van business off the ground? :)

Good start?

http://www.villagefetes.co.uk/startup/mobilecatering/regulations/

Anfield
23-Feb-10, 15:09
Be where you advertise you say you are supposed to be, and do not run out of foodstuff half way through stint. Also buy a reliable vehicle

bobbyrussell09
23-Feb-10, 15:15
use the good old internet ,can be very helpfull most of the time

thebigman
24-Feb-10, 00:16
You could phone the EHO on 01955 607737, they will advise you on licensing and food hygiene requirements.

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 00:20
Be where you advertise you say you are supposed to be, and do not run out of foodstuff half way through stint. Also buy a reliable vehicle

Haha I agree.

To OP - is this in Caithness because there are quite a lot of similar businesses around. Eg the mobile chippy implied above, the one at Wick retail park and probably a few others. Not many places you could get enough custom. Also the local shows/fairs etc in the summer seem to get caterers from outside Caithness.
Unless you have something good and unique to offer it would be difficult.

northener
24-Feb-10, 15:46
Location is everything.

If you cannot get access to a decent site - don't waste your money. Just setting up on any old corner and expecting the public to turn up won't work.

You cannot set up within (IIRC) a couple of hundred yards of established takeaway shops in Wick, I'm sure this avenue has already been gone down by one person and they received objections from the established local trade.

HTH

Anfield
24-Feb-10, 16:51
There is a catering trailer for sale in Caithness Courier

EDDIE
24-Feb-10, 18:01
You would need a licence from the council if you want to put a burger van on the road.
Is there not any layby between inverness and wick big enough for your van and some lorrys to park as norther says locatation is the most important thing.
So how many burger vans do u see in caithness on the road down to inverness ?

DopeyDan
24-Feb-10, 18:26

A 3 tonne jack and a pile of bricks ?

(Depends how far off the ground you want it)

sandyr1
24-Feb-10, 20:26
Another totally profound comment. So funny

chef4celebrations
01-Mar-10, 09:09
You would need a licence from the council if you want to put a burger van on the road.
Is there not any layby between inverness and wick big enough for your van and some lorrys to park as norther says locatation is the most important thing.
So how many burger vans do u see in caithness on the road down to inverness ?

to trade on a major trunk road you need to apply for permission from the scottish office in edinburgh

lasher
01-Mar-10, 15:20
Try hiring a simpsons crane!!:lol:

catherine nicol
01-Mar-10, 15:51
Why not try something different - A healthy options van eg salads, sandwiches, quiche, etc.

Great alternative to the chippy, chinese, indian and burgers etc currently available.

EDDIE
01-Mar-10, 18:25
Why not try something different - A healthy options van eg salads, sandwiches, quiche, etc.

Great alternative to the chippy, chinese, indian and burgers etc currently available.

I seen a van aberdeen try that for me no its just gets you thinking does that fillings get thrown or kept for another day when there lieing in open view

Look at sandras in thurso must be about 20 year ago they used to have a burger van than sit outside the flix back then on fiday and saturday night into the early hrs and look at them now they have shop now that was a really good burger van back then nice couple to talk to as well

ShelleyCowie
01-Mar-10, 18:38
You know what would be nice, a van that did proper cooked baked potatoes, some baguettes/panninis (sp) and maybe some home made soups.

That would be awsome actually! I love baked potatoes, im not keen on places that just chuck them in the microwave! Mmmm i want a baked potato now :)

EDDIE
01-Mar-10, 19:29
You know what would be nice, a van that did proper cooked baked potatoes, some baguettes/panninis (sp) and maybe some home made soups.

That would be awsome actually! I love baked potatoes, im not keen on places that just chuck them in the microwave! Mmmm i want a baked potato now :)

What i like is van that do specials everyday like homemade soup, mince tatties and homemade macoroni cheese thats the type of vans u revisit

H
01-Mar-10, 19:53
Hi

Try the Business Gateway in Wick for information and guidance on setting up of the business. Hopefully this link will take you to an article that appeared on Caithness.org a while ago.

They are really helpful.

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=1253

Anfield
01-Mar-10, 19:53
What I would like is a van who actually turns up when and where he is supposed to.

unicorn
01-Mar-10, 20:04

What I would like is a van who actually turns up when and where he is supposed to.

I assume you have a point to make [lol] Maybe you should write a letter to the proprietor [lol]