PDA

View Full Version : Independence Referendum

ducati
23-Feb-10, 13:39
Anyone have any idea what happens to the status of English and Welsh and Northern Irish people living and working in Scotland and Scots doing the same in the rest of the UK should Independence happen?

Anfield
23-Feb-10, 13:55
Interesting post and and also raises the issue of EC membership.

changilass
23-Feb-10, 13:55
Not a lot I wouldn't think, after all we have freedom of movement within Europe.

Flashman
23-Feb-10, 14:02
Anyone have any idea what happens to the status of English and Welsh and Northern Irish people living and working in Scotland and Scots doing the same in the rest of the UK should Independence happen?

As far as I know Idependance can only be granted by an Act of Parliment in Westminster.

We are in a Political Union so every MP in the United Kingdom needs to vote on the issue as Scotlands potential removal from the Union effects everyone else in the Union.

The Scottish Parliment has no power to call a referendum and make it legally binding for the withdrawel of Scotland from the Union.

What the SNP are proposing is a micky mouse referendum in the hope that a positive pro independance vote will force Westminster to take a vote on the issue.

The end of the day the break up of a Political Union Democratically needs to be voted on by all member states because it effects everyone involved.

ducati
23-Feb-10, 14:02
Not a lot I wouldn't think, after all we have freedom of movement within Europe.

Not quite, you cant just move to France and get a job.

changilass
23-Feb-10, 14:05
Lol Ducati, I wouldn't want to so it doesn't count.

As you brought up the subject, what do you suggest should happen?

ducati
23-Feb-10, 14:15
Lol Ducati, I wouldn't want to so it doesn't count.

As you brought up the subject, what do you suggest should happen?

I don't, I hope it never happens, but as the SNP are extremely keen on the idea, I presume they will have planned all this. I just haven't seen any info.

changilass
23-Feb-10, 14:20
Send an email to SNP and ask them, don't think they should have any reason not to reply.

Just mind and comeback and tell us what they say please.

tonkatojo
23-Feb-10, 14:21
Is there not a debate as to the membership of Europe, would it be still applicable to Scotland seeing as the current one is for the UK. Mind you out of Europe and back trading with the Common Wealth instead would suit me.

golach
23-Feb-10, 14:27
I voted no in the European Referendum, I see no reason for voting otherwise in a Scottish Independence Referendum.

theone
23-Feb-10, 15:21
Not quite, you cant just move to France and get a job.

Actually you can.

You do need to register for taxes etc, but by EU law any member citizen can work in any other member country.

Hence the influx of poles/lithuanians when they joined the EU.

ducati
23-Feb-10, 18:42
Actually you can.

You do need to register for taxes etc, but by EU law any member citizen can work in any other member country.

Hence the influx of poles/lithuanians when they joined the EU.

Right good info, I thought there was still some sort of immigration formality.

So do you think there would be some sort of census, I assume the new Scottish National Gov. would need/want to know how many citizens it actually had from the 10 million odd residents? Particularly if it wanted to collect income tax from them [lol]

Sounds like a nightmare of organisation.

changilass
23-Feb-10, 18:53
Income tax is nothing to do with citizenship and a census would have nothing to do with that.

Afterall, you wouldn't wait every 10 yrs to sort out your tax system.

Where did you get the 10 million residents, figure from? The population of Scotland is just over 5 million as far as I know (Wiki:-Last estimate from 2008: 5,168,500).

concerned resident
23-Feb-10, 20:28
It will not make any difference, as there will be no referendom vote, as all the other parties are not going to let you vote, as they think the Scottish population are to stupid to vote in a referendom, so they will decide what they think, will be best for us. I agree with them, if the scottish population are stupid enough to allow the politicains to decide on there behalf, they deserve to be second class citizens ruled by westminster parties, with there interests based in the south.

ducati
23-Feb-10, 20:34
Income tax is nothing to do with citizenship and a census would have nothing to do with that.

Afterall, you wouldn't wait every 10 yrs to sort out your tax system.

Where did you get the 10 million residents, figure from? The population of Scotland is just over 5 million as far as I know (Wiki:-Last estimate from 2008: 5,168,500).

Slip of the brain, I ment 5 million.

As far as the census is concerned a meant a special one. As the UK tax office collects tax they would need the mother of all handovers.