PDA

View Full Version : Nature at it's best/worst, depending on your stance?

fingalmacool
23-Feb-10, 13:07
Spectacular fight for survival last night in my back garden, one brave sparrow/finch? and one determined sparrow-hawk, for about two minutes in and out the privet hedge they went at it one bent on death and one on survival, i initially thought that the finch? had a good chance what with his darts out and in the hedge, but was mesmerized at the agility of the hawk, the turns he/she made in the pursuit was breath taking, and the way the hawk ploughed into the hedge to get at the finch? sadly there was only going to be one winner and although i tried to get some film of it, it was too dark from within my kitchen, and to go outside would have ruined the moment:confused

Jenni
24-Feb-10, 22:21
Ahhh poor wee finch. I know it's nature but if that was me spectating I would have gone out and chased the hawk away.

Kenn
25-Feb-10, 10:51
Never ceases to amaze me the speed at which a sparrowhawk manages to attack even within the confines of a garden. They were quite regular visitors where I used to live and even had one that parted my hair one day when gardening which was more than a little of a surprise! Despite coming so close it still managed to grab a sparrow from the lilac tree.

Birding News
25-Feb-10, 15:35
Yeah, it's always a bit weird watching stuff like that, kind of like car crash tv :/ I guess thats wildlife for you though, beautiful and brutal at the same time.

Liz
25-Feb-10, 19:34
Ahhh poor wee finch. I know it's nature but if that was me spectating I would have gone out and chased the hawk away.
Me too Jenni! I just couldn't watch the hawk catching the finch even though I know it is nature and the hawk has to eat.:confused