PDA

View Full Version : Surf's Up in the press...

The Pepsi Challenge
13-May-06, 01:42
I was back in Caithness recently. The weather was fantastic, it was nice bumping into old friends, and, for once, I found myself with plenty to see and do in the Motherland. There was also apparently a high profile, international surfing competition on. T'was news to me.

I didn't see any banners saying "Caithness Welcomes Surfers", there wasn't anything major written about it in the local press - a colour piece on the sign posts at John O' Groats being stolen took up the entire front page (eh?) - and the "vibe" was fairly muted.

Then people started telling me that the O' Neill Open competition was a major success. That a worldwide audience was tuning in. That there was something worthwhile to come to Caithness for. Brilliant, I thought; but where was the support of the local council, the press, the bars? Can't see I saw much.

Anyway, for your benefit, my colleague, Roger Cox, was also in town to see the surfing competiton, and has written about it here - http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/magazine.cfm?id=697422006 - in today's Scotsman.
As Roger rightly says in the piece, this is a big event that should (will) come back next year. Let's give the surfers a proper Caithness welcome next time.

From what I can tell, they (the surfing community) did more for tourism in the county than a lot of other people I could mention. Well done to all those who took part, supported, and worked tirelessly to put Caithness back on the map. You deserve great credit. I look forward to taking in the event next year. And hey, who knows, perhaps we'll see a banner welcoming the surfers stretched across Thurso precinct this time. Won't we?

laguna2
13-May-06, 11:03
I was back in Caithness recently. The weather was fantastic, it was nice bumping into old friends, and, for once, I found myself with plenty to see and do in the Motherland. There was also apparently a high profile, international surfing competition on. T'was news to me.

I didn't see any banners saying "Caithness Welcomes Surfers", there wasn't anything major written about it in the local press - a colour piece on the sign posts at John O' Groats being stolen took up the entire front page (eh?) - and the "vibe" was fairly muted.

Then people started telling me that the O' Neill Open competition was a major success. That a worldwide audience was tuning in. That there was something worthwhile to come to Caithness for. Brilliant, I thought; but where was the support of the local council, the press, the bars? Can't see I saw much.

Anyway, for your benefit, my colleague, Roger Cox, was also in town to see the surfing competiton, and has written about it here - http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/magazine.cfm?id=697422006 - in today's Scotsman.
As Roger rightly says in the piece, this is a big event that should (will) come back next year. Let's give the surfers a proper Caithness welcome next time.

From what I can tell, they (the surfing community) did more for tourism in the county than a lot of other people I could mention. Well done to all those who took part, supported, and worked tirelessly to put Caithness back on the map. You deserve great credit. I look forward to taking in the event next year. And hey, who knows, perhaps we'll see a banner welcoming the surfers stretched across Thurso precinct this time. Won't we?

He's got a point. Apart from a few (rather difficult to read) banners on railings I didn't see anything welcoming surfers. Hopefully this will be rectified next time to come to Caithness.

dunderheed
13-May-06, 17:23
correct me if i'm wrong , but didn't the local council have some sort of civic reception for the surfers in the royal hotel?

DaScout
13-May-06, 17:33
correct me if i'm wrong , but didn't the local council have some sort of civic reception for the surfers in the royal hotel?

i dooont hiv a caloooo

Chobbersjnr
13-May-06, 18:05
they did aye & there was bit's in the groat about them BUT the streets & town for that matter could have been "surfed up" a bit more

gleeber
13-May-06, 18:35
The surfers were given ample press coverage, both in the local papers and on Caithness.org. They had a formal reception in their honour in the Royal Hotel where some of our most prominent local politicians showed their teeth.
The sponsering company had plenty coverage around town where they duly displayed their wares in prominent positions and no doubt for free. Local business would probably pay thousands to have the same prominent advertising sites.
Surfers bring their own character to an area and these guys were no exception. I spoke to a number of visiting surfers during my daily wanders around town and non of them were complaining about the lack of welcome they recieved in Thurso. On the contrary, some of the worlds greatest surfers found the caithness experience a unique one.