PDA

View Full Version : *Warning* "Tech Support" Calls

Tinkerbell09
22-Feb-10, 17:41
Just a warning to let you know that I recieved a phonecall today claiming to be a "service provider for Windows the operating system".

They said over the last two weeks there has been an intrusion of trojans, malware and spyware. They said it was very harmful for the computer and tried to guide me to log into a website to help this.

Luckily, I know a bit about computers so I quickly stopped them in their tracks. The guy who I was originally speaking to told me their company was called TechSupport. Then when I asked again after I asked them a few more questions told me a different name of their company which I can't remember.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and the "Floor Manager" said they were Tech Support and tried to explain the situation to me again. I informed them that they weren't able to tell what intrusions were on my computer since I have a decent Anti-virus and Malware/Spyware protection. I told him I knew about computers and told him that his claim was ridiculous the conversation went like this:

Him: "Are you a technician"
Me: "Yes, I am"
Him: "Are you local technician?"
Me: "No, Microsoft technician"
Him: "Are you local technician?"
Me: "Yes, Local Microsoft technician"
Him: (hurridly) "Okay, thanks for your time, bye bye" and then immediately hung up on me.

Just letting you know about this as people might not be computer aware and might be vulnerable and tricked into buying materials or infecting their computer with harmful viruses.

*Forwarded from Connor.*

robbie_roost
22-Feb-10, 19:30
i have had the same call, and also when i pressed them on who or where they were calling from they hung up...defo some kinda scam

Dadie
22-Feb-10, 21:18
I had a funny call today too!
But couldnt hear anything as Euan was crying as the phone woke him up and Iona was wailing as she is not well.... so I just hung up....
Good job I did as I was so frazzled I might have signed up for anything:eek:

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-10, 21:23
I had the same call last week, I rang my door bell and told him I won't keep him for long while I answer the door.

I put the phone on speaker phone and put it next to Steve Wright in the afternoon on the radio, fair play to the guy, he stuck it out for five minutes before he hung up.:lol:

Niall Fernie
22-Feb-10, 21:28
seems to be a long running scam as this blog points out. Lots of info on what its all about here:

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam

Also if you get calls from a number that pops up on your called ID you can enter it to this website and see if there is more info to be had:

http://whocallsme.com/

achingale
23-Feb-10, 12:24
Thanks for the warning.